1612 W. Division
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bedfordchicago.com/
- Phone: (773) 235-8800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday- Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Late Night Menu: Thursday - Saturday 11:00pm - 1:00am
Bar: Open Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Steuer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Bedford
Inspired by the Supper Club experience of a bygone era, The Bedford puts a modern-day twist on the concept by offering more than just a restaurant. Underground but not exclusive, this Wicker Park outpost offers a full nightlife experience without the formality. Come into the reclaimed landmark bank for a drink or small bite, and end up staying for a full meal, music and more. Sip on one of our signature cocktails in the one-of-a-kind lounge in a former bank vault; experience our boutique wine, beer and spirits selection at the bustling bar; or enjoy our celebrated cuisine in the intimate dining room. Stick around after dinner and you just might find yourself ready to mingle, enjoy some tunes and the company of an old (or new) friend. You could go somewhere else, but why would you want to? The Bedford is an affordable luxury right in the heart of Chicago’s Wicker Park neighborhood. Experience it for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Bedford reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (31)good for groups (27)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (27)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (23)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (15)scenic view (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great spot for a meet with the friends or a date.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014Whether you are meeting up before you are going out or after or even if this is the last stop its a great neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 好👌NickmeDined on 11/14/2014Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review. Testing review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark, Romantic vibeKjanoDined on 11/12/2014We loved the old school look to it. The Bedford kept as much of the remaining bank decor as they could incorporate into a dark, romantic hot spot. They had live jazz playing within the old bank vault, that made it feel like we were back in the early 1920's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Atmosphere; Decent FoodfoodexplorerDined on 11/8/2014A little smaller portion size than I'm used to for the price, even when compared to more upscale restaurants. I enjoyed the flat iron steak and my date the gnocchi. Taste was great. The chocolate cake at the end was very small, and just ok.Special Features:
- A great night outWanabeFoodieDined on 11/8/2014Went there with my wife in between shows and had an outstanding experience. The atmosphere was great. The food menu is small but there was more that we wanted to order than we could possibly eat. Food was fantastic and the service was outstanding. Prices were surprisingly reasonable for the quality of food.Special Features:
- Nice placeDwpLjpVIPDined on 11/8/2014Interesting vault room and some fun options on menu. Didn't have the Pinot Noir by the glass on the menu, but then didn't offer to pour a glass from their many Pinot's by the bottle, and that's poor service in my book. Music WAY TOO LOUD.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time, lots of moneybirthdayboyDined on 11/7/2014Had a lot of fun - we reserved a table, showed up 40 min late, but they still kept the table for us and did not show any annoyance. Great atmosphere, delicious drinks (Polish Mule especially), and fries were spot on. However, our waitress did keep pushing us for drink orders and at one time brought about 10 shots that no one recalled ordering. Ended up with a very hefty bill, and it was unclear who ordered what and the price seemed high by our calculations. So in summary, definitely go have a good time, but be careful and try to keep track of what you ordered if you're at a table. I would suggest ordering drinks from the bar so everyone can have their own tab.Special Features:
- Good time!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014I enjoyed the food. Although the drinks were alright. I had two different cocktails and they were not my fav. I've had much better.Special Features:
- just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014nit a bad place but nothing special. Service was good, ambiance was greats we had 5 small plates and nothing other than the deviled eggs really stood out .Special Features:
- Amazing atmosphere!AwesomeVIPDined on 10/27/2014Food was great. One of our dishes, caramelli was not cooked enough, and the staff happily took it back and replaced it with another dish. Would definitely have a special event here. Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BankXtineDined on 10/22/2014Great spot. Service was slow and they kept seating people anyway. Place wasn't full either. Decent food. Slightly overpriced, but great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for late night drinksTiansaDined on 10/18/2014Went there for late night drinks, had a great time, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An FabOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014I loved the food and the atmosphere. We went for my birthday and I was not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and unusualbarryVIPDined on 10/9/2014Being that this restaurant is downstairs in a converted bank vault gave it some unusual charm. It is quite dark with a long bar and a lot of tables. There are two private rooms. The menu is not huge but they have a good variety of entree. Chicken liver mousse and strawberry jam, whipped ricotta and black truffle honey and Roasted Mushroom & Gruyere all on toast, all excellent. The Bibb salad was the most disappointing, the honey vinaigrette, had no honey. We then split the hamburger which was also cooked perfectly. It comes with kennebec fries, which they tell you are a variety of potato that makes the best fries and are very special. Service was very good although I did have to ask for bread.Special Features:
- Loved everything but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/8/2014Loved everything...but the sevice. Worst I have ever experienced and i dine out at least four times a week. Atmosphere is hip and fun, food was delish. Servixce started out bad with two people taking our drink order. Hard to believe the worst waitress I have ever had was actually training someone. I wish I could have found the bus boy before I left so I could tip him, he did all the work except take our oder. We had to ask him to get our waitress for us four times. All we were trying to do was order more food, more wine then pay our bill. She poured our first glass of wine. After that it was self serve. nevr going back.Special Features:
- Girls nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/5/2014Great girls night. The waitress was helpful with ordering. Food was very good. A bit loud tho for diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceDITSDined on 9/3/2014Very nice restaurant. The menu needs more of a variety. I plan on attending again in the near future.Special Features:
- Highs and LowsKyleDined on 8/30/2014The highs: the beautiful atmosphere and delicious drinks The lows: the food was really not good at all Go for drinks, but eat somewhere else prior to arriving.Special Features:
- Amazing!AndyDinoDined on 8/23/2014This place was a great call for reservations! The scene is perfect for small groups looking for a place to talk, and also have great drinks. It has dim lights and its a bank with a vault used as a dining room! The staff was friendly and drinks were strong. Price point just right.Special Features:
- Love the Bedford!foodsnobjwmDined on 8/23/2014We love the Bedford for its fantastic food and cocktails! Be sure to go early enough to enjoy a cocktail in the vault!Special Features:
- Great Ambience, Food & DrinksAndreabDined on 8/23/2014Our Saturday night reservations fell through & going to Bedford was a last minute decision!The ambience was great, cool & a change of scenery. There were 7 us, we ordered a bunch of drinks & food. I drank the Sangria(it was delish)a very interesting interpretation & I would definitely order it again. I also ordered the 2 toasts (the ricotta/lemon & mushroom/gruyere) they were very good. I also ordered Burrata/Peach salad & was super excited about it, but it never came out ( insert sad face) since everyone was already done eating & I already hounded waitress multiple times I finally just cancelled it. Over all, The Bedford was a really cool place; ambiance, small plates(wouldn’t recommend it for dinner if you're starving) & drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious TreatsusieDined on 8/7/2014This was a nice restaurant in an old bank - kind of dark but neat ambience. They had unique and delicious, well-made cocktails, and plenty of small plates that were wonderful. We had the shaved asparagus salad, the cauliflower fritters (amazing), oysters, grilled octopus (again, amazing), and one large plate which was the special - a lamb bolognese ravioli, which my mom and sister loved. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!OtavioSFarahVIPDined on 8/6/2014To eat inside a bank vault, listening to a great jazz band was spectacular!Special Features:
- Great new tastesncfoodwineguyDined on 8/1/2014Entertained my son and daughter-in-law and had a great time. She is vegetarian, the rest are not. Excellent choices with lots of variety of texture, aroma and surprise. We enjoyed the drinks as well, particularly the "Dark and Stormy." This is our third trip. On the first time, we were caught in a sudden downpour and arrived thoroughly soaked. The staff took it in stride, although I'm sure that had the mop ready to clean up as soon as we left. Their welcome at this time of mild distress causes me to look forward to each return visit. Even without a rainstorm, we continue to feel welcomed to this delightful spot with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High class restaurant and barDougVancouverDined on 7/30/2014I read a glowing review about this great place built into a bank vault and had to try it. Yes, there's a vault and the staff does a little tour and talk about the history, which is interesting. The menu is quite limited (a good thing that adds focus and quality) and very nouveau yet approachable. The chef is not trying to be wildly creative and is instead taking very traditional dishes (steak, pasta) and redesigning them with a 2014 palette in mind. We started with a nice plate of mussels, served on a bed of chorizo. I had the steak, which was cross cut into slices (like a grilled flank steak) and coated with a tasty beef reduction and roast potatoes. My friend had the chicken breast which was presented very well and tasted great.Special Features:
- JAKRNDinerDined on 7/26/2014We went to the Bedford with a Groupon for one small plate, two large plates and two cocktails. We had the mussels, flatiron steak and scallops. All were excellent! The mussels with chorizo were delicious and the portion was quite large. The entree portions were on the smaller end, but still very good. We didn't have dessert, but there was a very limited menu (3 items). The service was excellent, and the manager even came by a few times to make sure we were doing well. The ambiance was excellent, the restored bank vault is very cool!! I would definitely go back, but probably for a special occasion since it was pricySpecial Features:
- Romantic and historicalLoves2EatDined on 7/25/2014The tequila punch bowl was pretty tasty! I would recommend a 1/2 bowl of that for two people. My date and I were not completely impressed with the plates we chose for dinner. We did enjoy the octopus small plate and the cheese and meat platter. Those two in itself were filling. The mussels tasted fishy and was overpowered with meat sauce, which did not impress us. I think mussels are a delicacy in itself that a heavy sauce isn't necessary. The donuts dessert was too doughy and dense. We were expecting a lighter type of donut. The ambience was fabulous. We think the concept of reusing the doors of the old bank as part of the bathroom was unique and other parts of the bank embedded within the decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 431 reviews are from the The Bedford reviews archive.
- Great TimeDomsvDined on 7/19/2014This is one of my favorite spots in Chicago and I've never had a bad time here. Good music/food/atmosphere. Great spot for dates and for just having a good time late night. Had some family visiting from out of the country and knew from past experiences (celebrated my birthday here), I had to take them here. We had a table in the vault (highly recommend) and ordered one of everything "on bread", the steak, and few dozen oysters with couple bottles of champagne. Everything was excellent and Mike (the manager) treated us like family. Will definitely be back again soonSpecial Features:
- Oustanding food, unique ambiancedeeceVIPDined on 7/19/2014I took my brother his wife, another couple, and my mother here and they had an amazing experience. The food was outstanding and fit to share between all parties. The scene inside is a great dining experience. The lighting is dim so it may be a little bit harder on an older crowd, but my brother and sister-in-law thought it was one of the best restaurants (they visit often) we've dined at in Chicago - highly recommended for a group or date.Special Features:
- The Stay out of Bed-fordOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Started my night here and didn't go to bed til 7 A.M. It's got everything to create an amazing night!Special Features:
- landmark bank turned restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014I booked a reservation of 15 for a birthday party. The atmosphere and food were great. Our server was very attentive and provided great great service as well. My only complaint was that the room they had us in was very hot. I even heard other tables around us asking if the air could but turned up however due to the poor circulation the room stayed hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friends, perfect spotkjhcVIPDined on 7/12/2014Delicious, creative food options. It was fun to share several small plates and sides between 4 people. The wine list isn't great, but they focus on cocktails. The atmosphere for dinner is just right--just enough lighting, not too loud, and intimate seating (small tables, but they feel just right), and lots to look at! The staff and manager took great care of us. Thank you! We'll be back :)Special Features:
- Great spotBenitaVIPDined on 7/2/2014The Bedford is a very cool restaurant. A lot of space and easily accommodates a couple or a bigger group. We enjoyed our food and drinks. Our service just went downhill throughout the night as the place got busy. Our waitress was very nice but we just didn't see her much later in the evening, and found ourselves waiting for 20 minutes to get the bill and then longer to get our credit cards picked up. We had to remind the waitress that the bill had to be adjusted to account for the bar bites we ordered earlier (Which were supposed to be 50% off the menu price). I'm not sure if the restaurant was just short staffed that night, and that was why service took a hit. I'd still go back there. Bar bites are 50% off from 5:30-7:30.Special Features:
- I want to like it...ryhayesDined on 6/27/2014I would recommend for the restaurant itself. Go. The space is worth visiting, if only once. Food isn't overly pricey which is nice for new Wicker Park spots. Sweet rework of the bank basement space with bank vault room, etc. The food was good, presentation very good, service was awkward and uncomfortable at best. It wasn't an occasion where i cared but man the service should at least match the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice in Wicker ParkfoodlvrDined on 6/26/2014Great ambience in historic bank building. Seems like it would be great for drinks in bar and in the bank vault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great date nightdatenightDined on 6/14/2014Dark and Candlelit. The fact that it's in an old bank adds a neat focal point with a bar inside the old vault. Really good food and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014really enjoyed this restaurant. Food excellent and atmophere lovelySpecial Features:
- Great experienceMaggieDined on 5/16/2014We had a great experience at The Bedford. The place itself is very cool and the vibe was on point. I started with a Fergie's cup which was the perfect Friday happy hour drink. The food was delicious. I would definitely recommend the steak and the mac and cheese. Our service left a little more to be desired but it wasn't detrimental to our experience. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- New find!Mueller3819Dined on 5/16/2014I had dinner at The Bedford with a friend before seeing a show at The Chopin Theater. What a find! We loved it! Our server was lovely and informative and a lot of fun. We could have sat there all night and tried many items on the menu - we like to share! But we had to scurry over to the show. I'll be back when I don't have to rush out!! Thank you for such a lovely evening!Special Features:
- What happened?MostanyVIPDined on 5/12/2014I had been to this place in multiple occasions in the past and loved it. This time around it was just mediocre. Service was good but the food took way too long to be served. The burger that I ate was extremely salty and inedible. Too bad this happened cause I really liked it.Special Features: