1612 W. Division
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bedfordchicago.com/
- Phone: 7732358800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday- Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Late Night Menu: Thursday - Saturday 11:00pm - 1:00am
Bar: Open Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Steuer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Bedford
Inspired by the Supper Club experience of a bygone era, The Bedford puts a modern-day twist on the concept by offering more than just a restaurant. Underground but not exclusive, this Wicker Park outpost offers a full nightlife experience without the formality. Come into the reclaimed landmark bank for a drink or small bite, and end up staying for a full meal, music and more. Sip on one of our signature cocktails in the one-of-a-kind lounge in a former bank vault; experience our boutique wine, beer and spirits selection at the bustling bar; or enjoy our celebrated cuisine in the intimate dining room. Stick around after dinner and you just might find yourself ready to mingle, enjoy some tunes and the company of an old (or new) friend. You could go somewhere else, but why would you want to? The Bedford is an affordable luxury right in the heart of Chicago’s Wicker Park neighborhood. Experience it for yourself.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
The Bedford - Best Restaurants in Bucktown / Wicker Park ›
The Bedford reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
romantic (37)special occasion (26)neighborhood gem (24)vibrant bar scene (22)fit for foodies (21)late-night find (20)good for groups (17)hot spot (15)notable wine list (6)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Highs and LowsKyleDined on 8/30/2014The highs: the beautiful atmosphere and delicious drinks The lows: the food was really not good at all Go for drinks, but eat somewhere else prior to arriving.Special Features:
- Amazing!AndyDinoDined on 8/23/2014This place was a great call for reservations! The scene is perfect for small groups looking for a place to talk, and also have great drinks. It has dim lights and its a bank with a vault used as a dining room! The staff was friendly and drinks were strong. Price point just right.Special Features:
- Great Ambience, Food & DrinksAndreabDined on 8/23/2014Our Saturday night reservations fell through & going to Bedford was a last minute decision!The ambience was great, cool & a change of scenery. There were 7 us, we ordered a bunch of drinks & food. I drank the Sangria(it was delish)a very interesting interpretation & I would definitely order it again. I also ordered the 2 toasts (the ricotta/lemon & mushroom/gruyere) they were very good. I also ordered Burrata/Peach salad & was super excited about it, but it never came out ( insert sad face) since everyone was already done eating & I already hounded waitress multiple times I finally just cancelled it. Over all, The Bedford was a really cool place; ambiance, small plates(wouldn’t recommend it for dinner if you're starving) & drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious TreatsusieDined on 8/7/2014This was a nice restaurant in an old bank - kind of dark but neat ambience. They had unique and delicious, well-made cocktails, and plenty of small plates that were wonderful. We had the shaved asparagus salad, the cauliflower fritters (amazing), oysters, grilled octopus (again, amazing), and one large plate which was the special - a lamb bolognese ravioli, which my mom and sister loved. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!OtavioSFarahVIPDined on 8/6/2014To eat inside a bank vault, listening to a great jazz band was spectacular!Special Features:
- Great new tastesncfoodwineguyDined on 8/1/2014Entertained my son and daughter-in-law and had a great time. She is vegetarian, the rest are not. Excellent choices with lots of variety of texture, aroma and surprise. We enjoyed the drinks as well, particularly the "Dark and Stormy." This is our third trip. On the first time, we were caught in a sudden downpour and arrived thoroughly soaked. The staff took it in stride, although I'm sure that had the mop ready to clean up as soon as we left. Their welcome at this time of mild distress causes me to look forward to each return visit. Even without a rainstorm, we continue to feel welcomed to this delightful spot with great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High class restaurant and barDougVancouverDined on 7/30/2014I read a glowing review about this great place built into a bank vault and had to try it. Yes, there's a vault and the staff does a little tour and talk about the history, which is interesting. The menu is quite limited (a good thing that adds focus and quality) and very nouveau yet approachable. The chef is not trying to be wildly creative and is instead taking very traditional dishes (steak, pasta) and redesigning them with a 2014 palette in mind. We started with a nice plate of mussels, served on a bed of chorizo. I had the steak, which was cross cut into slices (like a grilled flank steak) and coated with a tasty beef reduction and roast potatoes. My friend had the chicken breast which was presented very well and tasted great.Special Features:
- JAKRNDinerDined on 7/26/2014We went to the Bedford with a Groupon for one small plate, two large plates and two cocktails. We had the mussels, flatiron steak and scallops. All were excellent! The mussels with chorizo were delicious and the portion was quite large. The entree portions were on the smaller end, but still very good. We didn't have dessert, but there was a very limited menu (3 items). The service was excellent, and the manager even came by a few times to make sure we were doing well. The ambiance was excellent, the restored bank vault is very cool!! I would definitely go back, but probably for a special occasion since it was pricySpecial Features:
- Romantic and historicalLoves2EatDined on 7/25/2014The tequila punch bowl was pretty tasty! I would recommend a 1/2 bowl of that for two people. My date and I were not completely impressed with the plates we chose for dinner. We did enjoy the octopus small plate and the cheese and meat platter. Those two in itself were filling. The mussels tasted fishy and was overpowered with meat sauce, which did not impress us. I think mussels are a delicacy in itself that a heavy sauce isn't necessary. The donuts dessert was too doughy and dense. We were expecting a lighter type of donut. The ambience was fabulous. We think the concept of reusing the doors of the old bank as part of the bathroom was unique and other parts of the bank embedded within the decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeDomsvDined on 7/19/2014This is one of my favorite spots in Chicago and I've never had a bad time here. Good music/food/atmosphere. Great spot for dates and for just having a good time late night. Had some family visiting from out of the country and knew from past experiences (celebrated my birthday here), I had to take them here. We had a table in the vault (highly recommend) and ordered one of everything "on bread", the steak, and few dozen oysters with couple bottles of champagne. Everything was excellent and Mike (the manager) treated us like family. Will definitely be back again soonSpecial Features:
- Oustanding food, unique ambiancedeeceVIPDined on 7/19/2014I took my brother his wife, another couple, and my mother here and they had an amazing experience. The food was outstanding and fit to share between all parties. The scene inside is a great dining experience. The lighting is dim so it may be a little bit harder on an older crowd, but my brother and sister-in-law thought it was one of the best restaurants (they visit often) we've dined at in Chicago - highly recommended for a group or date.Special Features:
- The Stay out of Bed-fordOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Started my night here and didn't go to bed til 7 A.M. It's got everything to create an amazing night!Special Features:
- landmark bank turned restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014I booked a reservation of 15 for a birthday party. The atmosphere and food were great. Our server was very attentive and provided great great service as well. My only complaint was that the room they had us in was very hot. I even heard other tables around us asking if the air could but turned up however due to the poor circulation the room stayed hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner with friends, perfect spotkjhcVIPDined on 7/12/2014Delicious, creative food options. It was fun to share several small plates and sides between 4 people. The wine list isn't great, but they focus on cocktails. The atmosphere for dinner is just right--just enough lighting, not too loud, and intimate seating (small tables, but they feel just right), and lots to look at! The staff and manager took great care of us. Thank you! We'll be back :)Special Features:
- Great spotBenitaVIPDined on 7/2/2014The Bedford is a very cool restaurant. A lot of space and easily accommodates a couple or a bigger group. We enjoyed our food and drinks. Our service just went downhill throughout the night as the place got busy. Our waitress was very nice but we just didn't see her much later in the evening, and found ourselves waiting for 20 minutes to get the bill and then longer to get our credit cards picked up. We had to remind the waitress that the bill had to be adjusted to account for the bar bites we ordered earlier (Which were supposed to be 50% off the menu price). I'm not sure if the restaurant was just short staffed that night, and that was why service took a hit. I'd still go back there. Bar bites are 50% off from 5:30-7:30.Special Features:
- I want to like it...ryhayesDined on 6/27/2014I would recommend for the restaurant itself. Go. The space is worth visiting, if only once. Food isn't overly pricey which is nice for new Wicker Park spots. Sweet rework of the bank basement space with bank vault room, etc. The food was good, presentation very good, service was awkward and uncomfortable at best. It wasn't an occasion where i cared but man the service should at least match the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice in Wicker ParkfoodlvrDined on 6/26/2014Great ambience in historic bank building. Seems like it would be great for drinks in bar and in the bank vault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great date nightdatenightDined on 6/14/2014Dark and Candlelit. The fact that it's in an old bank adds a neat focal point with a bar inside the old vault. Really good food and wonderful serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014really enjoyed this restaurant. Food excellent and atmophere lovelySpecial Features:
- Great experienceMaggieDined on 5/16/2014We had a great experience at The Bedford. The place itself is very cool and the vibe was on point. I started with a Fergie's cup which was the perfect Friday happy hour drink. The food was delicious. I would definitely recommend the steak and the mac and cheese. Our service left a little more to be desired but it wasn't detrimental to our experience. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- New find!Mueller3819Dined on 5/16/2014I had dinner at The Bedford with a friend before seeing a show at The Chopin Theater. What a find! We loved it! Our server was lovely and informative and a lot of fun. We could have sat there all night and tried many items on the menu - we like to share! But we had to scurry over to the show. I'll be back when I don't have to rush out!! Thank you for such a lovely evening!Special Features:
- What happened?MostanyDined on 5/12/2014I had been to this place in multiple occasions in the past and loved it. This time around it was just mediocre. Service was good but the food took way too long to be served. The burger that I ate was extremely salty and inedible. Too bad this happened cause I really liked it.Special Features:
- Loud, confused, and saltyFoodtimeDined on 5/9/2014This place needs to decide if it's a bar/club or a restaurant. It feels like a restaurant - the menu is interesting, people are sitting at tables and eating.. Restaurant stuff. But the music is loud enough to stun a dachshund and I can only surmise it's because they want/expect people to enjoy more of a bar or club scene? I think, given the music and general atmosphere, they should just go all in on the bar scene. The food was interesting and generally ok (except for the pierogies, which tasted like day-old pastry filled with mushed up hotdogs) but almost everything was far far too salty. Maybe this makes more sense from a bar standpoint if it encourages people to drink more. Who knows. In any case, wouldn't go back, wouldn't recommend.
- Birthday?Theater DinnerLucyDined on 5/9/2014Very pleasant experience from the moment we stepped through the door....The staff was great and very friendly, our food was delish, and the atmosphere was both romantic and eclectic...Granted we were there for an early dinner before heading to the Chopin Theatre to see a play, so it may change for the late night crowd.....but definitely would recommend for an early dinnerSpecial Features:
- Simply SensationaltastefulcuisineloverDined on 5/8/2014The Bedford was a wonderful! Our server was exceptionally kind, and very well versed in the menu. Her recommendations were spot on for our taste buds. The deviled eggs and steak were our favorites! This is a great place to celebrate a special birthday or kick back and relax for some exquisite drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 414 reviews are from the The Bedford reviews archive.
- Awesome place!CitygirlDined on 5/3/2014Went here for my boyfriend's surprise birthday dinner. Everything was perfect, service, food and drinks were great! Reserved two tables and asked that they be next to each other and was accommodated! Would def recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not great.KhillVIPDined on 5/3/2014We like that the menu had changed since we had last been in and the food was very good. The service was not was not so good and that was a little disappointing. It gets a little crazy with big groups, but we had a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will most likely not returnYoungLadyVIPDined on 5/2/2014The service was very slow. The food was extremely salty. The drinks were ok but nothing special. The tables were way too close to each other and the place was very load, so it was impossible to have a private conversation. We wont return there.
- Amazing space, mediocre foodKimelizaVIPDined on 5/1/2014You can't find a better atmosphere than the Bedford. The lower level of a bank including original vault and safe deposit vault. The mood is subdued and romantic. However the drinks (manhattan) taste like cough syrup the Mac n' cheese was like bland card paper and califlower fritters were just okay. The deviled eggs and broccolini were really good, but those are "Food 101" items. I would definitely reccommend the Bedford for the ambiance, but not worth it if you are a "foodie"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Banking itFoodieVIPDined on 4/26/2014My overall experience was good though I found The Bedford to be more of a hot spot that you meet for drinks and a snack rather than dinner. The food was good though a little salty and small servings. Drinks are awesome and the ambience is a lot of fun but if you want to have an intimate dinner with lots of talking then I wouldn't recommend it. The vault was fun to see and made it worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingIvusha88VIPDined on 4/25/2014I love this place, and everything about it! I have been here multiple times, and am never disappointed. The food is fantastic, the drinks are delicious, and the ambiance is intriguing. 95% of the time, service is 5 stars as well, but there will always be an occassion where you get a cranky waitress, which is the reason behind the "Good" under service for this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, poor serviceKevinDined on 4/18/2014Went to the Bedford on a Friday night for dinner with my lady friend. We sat for 15 min with no server, so we flagged someone else down to take our order. Waitress comes by later to introduce herself. Our waitress was busily shuffling all over the restaurant not really doing anything for the rest of our dinner. She reappeared one or twice to check, then finally showed up with the wrong bill. Our waitress seemed new, awkward, and confused. Good was good though.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and AmbianceMikeBeeVIPDined on 4/12/2014From the moment I left the cab passed through the gigantic door, and walked downstairs the looks of this place is really unique in appearance. The lounge areas are spacious and lush, and the dining area I sat in was comfortable, and in the center of the restaurant with the vault to my left, and the night club area to my right. The place does have quite a bit of sound, but it's possible to have a conversation. The food was excellent, and we sampled the oysters, a special rib appetizer, and enjoyed both fish and chicken accompanied by a bowl of fries. The small complimentary glass of sparkling wine that was served with the appetizers was quite refreshing. For dessert we had a plate of strawberries, and Grand Marnier. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere & delicious food!LauraLeeDined on 4/12/2014My fiancé and I went here for a fun night out and we were not disappointed! The food was great - simple dishes with a nice spin on them! We were both really impressed with the ambiance and atmosphere though...it was loud, energetic, it was busy and it was such a different setting than most restaurants. The old bank vault is very cool looking and the details are so interesting. We are definitely wanting to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJ DinnerAMAMAMDined on 4/11/2014Our dinner on Friday night was atrocious. I asked for a quieter table and we were placed under the DJ Booth! Basically a full blown club atmosphere was in play. I have no problem with this, except when I have booked a table for six for dinner. You could not hear your neighbor speak, never mind anybody across the table. This was not a restaurant -- this was a club. I should have told that a club would be in progress when I booked the table. The worst dinner experience I have ever had in Chicago.
- Dine InFirstTimeDined on 4/5/2014Located in the basement of an old bank but with a young energetic crowd. Come here to dine in on some small plates and large drinks. Get the punch bowl to share with your group and be sure to reserve a table so you don't have to wait to be sitted. Also make sure you are willing to spend a pretty penny, you are in a bank and they charge you like you are in one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girlfriend's BirthdayMaggaliciousDined on 4/5/2014Really cool spot inside of an old bank! Delicious food, specifically the scallops and flat iron steak. Solid wine and liquor options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed by FoodWillDined on 4/2/2014We went here with a work group. I picked it because I thought it was a cool bar scene with low expectations on food. It was actually the opposite. The bar was quiet with a small crowd (it was a Wednesday night around 8pm), and the food was delicious. Service was very attentive, which would be expected as we were one of the only tables eating in our servers section. The drinks are delicious too. Overall, we had a great dining experience, but I maybe more of a weekend spot for a crowd.Special Features:
- BEST FOR THE D.J. CROWDOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/31/2014We braved the negative reviews (mostly about noise) with an early seating. The food is Germanic -- creamy, pickle-tasting, or crunchy. The Caesar salad, based on grilled chicory, was tasty - like pickles - and should not be called a Caesar salad. Pork sausage came with braised cabbage (well-executed) that tasted like pickles. Fondue was rich and creamy as were the appetizers on toast and the sweet potato side dish. The oysters and the mussels were excellent and in the normal taste spectrum (not pickly,not rich cream). Only clinker was tthe fresh made doughnuts which were over-fried, a lot of crunch and not much else. Overall, this is GREAT bar food. So if you're in a group where you want the noise you will not be disappointed.
- The BedfordMercedesDined on 3/28/2014We recently went to the Bedford to celebrate a birthday and where pleasantly surprised. We where seated immediately after arrival and asked them to bring champagne which they did so right away. Our server seemed to be new but was very knowledgeable with the menu and cocktails. Great atmosphere. Not to loud, food and drinks where fantastic!! We'll be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.