The Beauty Shop
966 S Cooper St
Memphis, TN 38104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Beauty Shop
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebeautyshoprestaurant.com/
- Phone: (901) 272-7111
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday - 10 a.m.-3:00 pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday - 11 am - 2 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday - 5 pm - 10 pm
Dinner: Friday and Saturday - 5 pm - 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karen B. Carrier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Another Roadside Attraction Catering is our sister business. Please contact us by visiting our website ~
or call us @ 901-525-2624
A word from The Beauty Shop
Chef/ Restaurateur- Karen B. Carrier famed for -The Mollie Fontaine Lounge, Do Sushi, Another Roadside Attraction Catering opened Beauty Shop Restaurant in what was once said to be Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the facade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, a bar replaces the wash sinks, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Carrier is a mad genius of sorts. The restaurant's motto is "Look Good, Eat Good," and while the place makes you want to look good, you will eat good at The Beauty Shop. The menu is widely varied ~ a down -home American stance with world-beat tints and edges. The Beauty Shop is about the coolest, hippest restaurant around. It screams "Memphis", yet does so with ingenuity and originality; it plays a wacky theme to the limit but doesn't stream beyond the pale- It makes you feel good to be there,part of the fun; part of the animated crowd and leaves you well-fed to boot. What could be cooler that that?Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Beauty Shop - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
The Beauty Shop reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (73)great for brunch (40)hot spot (33)good for groups (32)special occasion (30)great for lunch (29)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (19)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (11)scenic view (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Solid food weak cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/25/2014Food, especially fish dines were solid. Save room for cake and gelato. Skip the cocktails and go for a bottle of well-priced wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!foodloverDined on 11/17/2014This fun little hot spot in the Cooper Young area in Memphis was just perfect for lunch for our small group. Prices were around $10 and our food was fresh and creative. The side salad used kale, mangoes, tomatoes, etc. in an unusual but tasty combo. The fish sandwich was also put together with a funky combo of flavors, but super delicious! Great service as well. The music was loud, making it a bit noisy to hear each other talk, but otherwise, a great findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expected... Especially for the price...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We had reservations for two for my birthday dinner. The restaurant itself is intimate and the host was very sweet. However, our food took over an hour to come out for 2 people. I ordered a salad and my fiance ordered a medium rare steak. I was very disappointed with the quality of food and the quality of service. The restaurant was not full (for a Friday night), so I don't know if the waitress had a lot of tables or what the issue was, but the service was awful and slow. I hoped that the food would be fresh and outstanding because it took so long, but I was very disappointed. It is pretty difficult to mess up a thai salad, but alas it was not up to par. We will not be returning.
- Excellent Brunch!SusieTheNurseDined on 11/9/2014I had the Beneduck and my husband had eggs florentine - both so good! Started with the beignets - best I've ever had, hands-down. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pappyVIPDined on 11/7/2014The portion to price ratio was really bad, especially on the catch of the day special, which is a change from previous visits here. They ran out of the wine i was drinking but the server did a nice job of finding something else. I have been here before and given it 4 stars... Something was off this night.Special Features:
- Always FunFlamingoLadyDined on 11/4/2014I always have fun at this restaurant. We had the specials and they were great. Our service was fabulous and we all had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Perfect unique midtown spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Pricing was reseasonable, especially with the quality of food. Cool little unique spot. Loved the vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treasure...BlakeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Beauty Shop is more than a restaurant with perfect food- it is an experience. Joe always greets us at the door- outgoing, professional, compassionate, confident- he's the guy you want to be the director of first impressions. There's always a host, and she's delightful- either way you're in for a treat when you walk through the door. Stephanie was on her game at 9:30p on a Sat night when the restaurant was on the other side of its rush curve, but she treated us like it was just us and her. Great- as always! Heads up, restaurants in Memphis on the same level as Beauty Shop: This is how service is supposed to be. Many of you are failing to meet the minimum on personality, patience, professionalism, and down right courtesy. Get it together.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, ribeye just so-soBeeBeeDined on 11/1/2014Ribeye was a thin cut, rather chewy. I felt like I was eating a cheaper cut that was "all dolled up" with a fancy sauce. The smashed potatoes were dry. The Outback's ribeye and mashed potatoes are much better in my opinion. The coconut cake was excellent!
- Loving Lindsey!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We were a group of six ladies who arrived one at a time and Lindsey, our server, greeted each one of us with equal poise and enthusiasm. we had special requests and were potentially a nightmare of a table- HOWEVER, She followed every direction to a tee and remained pleasant- showing no sign of frustration throughout our lengthy stay at her table. The food was wonderful, the atmosphere cool, and the service- OVER THE TOP! 4 out of 6 ordered the BLTA sandwich with shrimp added and loved it!Special Features:
- Fun eveninGordlooVIPDined on 10/31/2014Originally a beauty shop with much left as it was.Klitchy with exceptional food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memphis ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014Wonderful dinner experience - great menu, awesome specials, incredible desserts - in the best neighborhood in Memphis! Beauty Shop is the anchor for the ultra hip Cooper Young area of Memphis. Always great service from the wonderful staff (servers have been there for years). Great for a romantic dinner or with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jwlakelandjwlakelandDined on 10/27/2014We love The Beauty Shop! Everything about the experience was great: the food, service, atmosphere were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough.luv2eatgoodDined on 10/26/2014Love the beauty shop .. can't wait to go back. Enjoyed every minute of my experience there. Great food. Great service and a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat CustomerHard2ResistDined on 10/26/2014Food was outstanding, service was great. Kudos to Jacob our waiter who made our brunch wonderful. I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So impressiveCplaysDined on 10/26/2014Have only ever been for Sunday brunch but one of the best brunch spots I've ever found. Amazing, interesting dishes and a truly great Bloody Mary. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceLivetoeat2VIPDined on 10/24/2014In from out of town and thoroughly enjoyed the food and vibe! Entrée choices were clever and well paired with sides.Special Features:
- Waiter was GREATMemphianDined on 10/24/2014Joe greeted us at the table and was over the top knowledgeable about the runs the good and the origin of both. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/23/2014Delicious food prepared with fantastic flavors and nicely presented. Locally owned, seasonally changing menu. Contemporary space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantMemphisfoodVIPDined on 10/23/2014Really interesting menu with very good food. Reasonable prices, as well.Special Features:
- Still tryingGirlfrydeeDined on 10/19/2014I have eaten at The Beauty Shop twice now and have yet to find food I like, but will keep trying. Fun place to go. Sunday brunch inside was quite loud, but still nice ambiance. Had been curious to try chicken and waffles somewhere, but would not recommend here unless you like chicken bone in and have to do some work. The waffle was delicious and the chicken by itself was great and had the very best crunchy outside batter ever .. but very difficult to eat on a waffle. Affordable for lunch or brunch. Not the best food in Cooper-Young so far, but I'll keep trying. On a side note, the place next door owned by same people, DKDC Bar, has the best fried egg sandwich you'll eat and great ambiance! (stay away from the steak at both places).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014This was a last minute brunch choice before leaving Memphis, going back to Michigan. Although there was not a lot of room in the restaurant, the employees did a great job taking care of customers. Food was good. Enjoyed the great southern hospitality. It was a great dining experience. It was probably a one-time dining experience for us because we are not from the area but we would suggest it for others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty ShopcoupleofloversDined on 10/5/2014While visiting Memphis, we had Sunday brunch at The Beauty Shop on recommendation from a former Memphis resident. The place is out of downtown and it was nice to see more of the city. It looked recently renovated and had a very cool vibe. Our meals were great -- I especially loved the grilled bread. So refreshing! My entrée, Beneduct, was very good but I have to admit that I was jealous of my companion's Chicken and Waffles (which seems to be one of Memphis's specialties). My only complaint of the place is that exactly an hour after our reservation we were informed that the next party for our table was arriving. Lucky for The Beauty Shop, we had passed on dessert so we were about to leave anyways.Special Features:
- Booths are a beauty!Dutch2essDined on 9/25/2014The booth creates a private dining feel with the enclosed spacing. The food is divine but beauty's to save room for dessert. We went before the Orpheum and all 4 of us ( 1 vegetarian, 1 foodie, 1 pescetarian and one VERY PICKY eater all loved our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServicelovetoshopVIPDined on 9/24/2014I made early reservations at the Beauty Shop as many other diners had mentioned how loud it gets-so there were only two other couples eating there when we went. Our entrees arrived about 30 seconds after our appetizers were set on the table-seems like that would be better timed out from the kitchen-especially on a slow night. Through-out our entire meal-no one-including our waiter-even asked how the food was-plates were cleared but we never heard "how was everything". Water glasses stayed empty and meal was completely finished before the 2nd glass of wine arrived. My patacon was ok-my husband did rave about the fish he had.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningEatlocalDined on 9/22/2014My husband and I dined here recently; we were celebrating his birthday. We are both mid 20's, and this was the perfect place. It's great for young adults, but I would also recommend it for older ages. I would recommend the Beauty Shop to anyone who loves a relaxed and private atmosphere coupled with amazing service, food, and wine. We were seated in a booth that provided low noise and high privacy, both of which we love. The server was knowledgable about the dishes they served and made superb suggestions. I love that they use local farms for several of their ingredients. We were too full for dessert, but our server (without my requesting) brought out a small plate with a candle so that my husband could still blow one out on his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Great atmosphereNYCOutoftowneDined on 9/21/2014Was in town to visit my son for parents weekend. Had a great brunch due to good food, nice sized drnks and wonderful company. Loved the decor, ambiance and menu selections. We were the last group Rrkving for brunch so noise was not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and Great servicetrainmasterDined on 9/16/2014We went for a special occasion birthday dinner. The food was great. The service was very good. The meal cost was a good for the quality and service. Would return to the restaurant. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Good Food... ButmonkeybroganDined on 9/8/2014We had a lovely lunch here, but we felt is was ever so slightly lacking for the price. My salad was delicious but could have been really excellent is it came with a parmesan bread stick or an offering of croutons. Also all the desserts were priced the same and one of our party had one solitary crepe on the middle of a rather large plate and felt a little hard done by when looking at the giant slabs of cake others had. The service was excellent as was the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/6/2014Great restaurant...the community table was full and abit noisy. The tables in the back were adorable. My special fish feature was ok. Some of the other dishes were fabulous. Definitely better for smaller groups. (Ours was for 6 people)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Great SpotchocolatDined on 9/5/2014Sometimes we forget abut dining gems that have been around for awhile. The Beauty Shop continues to offer a unique atmosphere and superb food and service. The noise level here is very high, and it makes conversation difficult. I have also noticed during my last two visits that there are many group celebrations which makes it even louder. This restaurant seems to attract wedding showers, big birthday gatherings, etc. It's too bad there's no place for these large groups of diners that can locate them away from the general doing public. Not really a place I would choose for an intimate dining experience.Special Features:
- Going again next weekPickyDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I have a date night every Thursday evening. We both love to cook and often find that the food we eat at restaurants is not as good as what we make at home. The Beauty Shop was well worth the visit. My trout was outstanding as was my wife's barramundi both of which were cooked to perfection and artfully presented. For those of you in Memphis who have not been to the Beauty Shop recently, go. If you are in from out of town and looking for a restaurant that represents the best of Memphis, The Beaty Shop fits the bill.Special Features:
- Great Place!RichierichDined on 8/30/2014The food and decor were amazing! I heard their crapes were amazing, but was let down when a tiny over cooked crepe came out. All other food was A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty Shop - A Beautiful Meal!TheBeautyShopWinsDined on 8/28/2014We've lived in Memphis about a year and a half, and had been wanting to try The Beauty Shop for a while. We went for our 10 year wedding anniversary, and it was the perfect spot. Conveniently located at Cooper-Young, the perfect neighborhood for a stroll before or after your meal, The Beauty Shop is small and welcoming. The decor is modern and pleasant. Shae at the bar will make you one of the best cocktails you've ever had, and the service is impeccable. I am allergic to High Fructose Corn Syrup and Lindsey, our server, made sure that every ingredient used was safe for me. Our fish was amazing, perfectly seasoned, and the dishes we had were very innovative. I highly recommend The Beauty Shop, especially for a special occasion!Special Features:
- The Beauty ShopSarahLVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great atmosphere and food! Coffee and gelato are the bomb too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fun time!SadInMemphisDined on 8/23/2014The presentation was amazing, the food incredible, and the server adorable. This is a terrific restaurant for and experience. The atmosphere is too cute. Every dish we had was delicious and flavorful. The service was fun, interesting, and attentive. Everyone should experience the Beauty Shop.Special Features:
- Great food/ bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food is delicious here if you don't mind waiting an hour and a half to eat. The service was horrible and our steaks had to be taken back twice due to them being completely rare inside. We had dinner here with a bachelorette party and our waiter ignored us most of the night. We had to get another waitress to bring us drinks after waiting for him to bring them for 30 minutes. We arrived at 8:30 as per our reservation and finally got our dinner at 10pm. He was extremely rude when we asked to speak with his manager. The resturant is very nice and the food is great but for the price (about $50 per person) the service should be much better.Special Features:
- FoodieFoodieDined on 8/21/2014I have a hard time going anywhere ELSE for dinner in Memphis, though I've tried. And I have a hard time ordering anything but the Barramundi with succotash and marcona almonds, but this time our clever waiter said I'd reached my quota at three successive orders. So glad he imposed that rule: The trout was equally wonderful - the light approach to a tarter sauce prompted me to eat every bite. Then there's the gelato: Three scoops of your choice will make your day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty Shop in MemphisdgdowntownDined on 8/20/2014What a gem! We found the Beauty Shop while visiting our son at college. The food is amazing! The Ingredients are fresh, the menu is interesting and the food is prepared well. Service is quick, but you never feel rushed.Our server was knowledgeable about the food and the wine. You could tell he actually likes his job. The interior combines the authenticity of an old fashion beauty parlor with hip, modern touches. We go back every time we are in Memphis and we have not been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful time at The Beauty ShopshelmadineDined on 8/19/2014I am always looking for fresh, well prepared food. The offerings on the menu at the beauty shop are not laden with hip names (although the vintage 'beauty shop' look is pretty hip). The food descriptions are scrumptious and my taste buds tingled when reading the 'almond crusted sea bass' offering. This was my choice. The fish was fresh, moist, combined with lightly toasted almond taste, and served with sweet cob of corn. Was there with a friend. He dittoed my choice. We ate, smiled, chatted and drank beer. Although next time, I will order one of the signature cocktails from the bar. AND my food was plated up to perfection. Please go to website to view the pictures from the menu..art. But the chef is the true artist. Will return soon. ThanksSpecial Features: