The Beauty Shop
966 S Cooper St
Memphis, TN 38104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Beauty Shop
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebeautyshoprestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9012727111x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday - 10 a.m.-3:00 pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday - 11 am - 2 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday - 5 pm - 10 pm
Dinner: Friday and Saturday - 5 pm - 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karen B. Carrier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Another Roadside Attraction Catering is our sister business. Please contact us by visiting our website ~
or call us @ 901-525-2624
A word from The Beauty Shop
Chef/ Restaurateur- Karen B. Carrier famed for -The Mollie Fontaine Lounge, Do Sushi, Another Roadside Attraction Catering opened Beauty Shop Restaurant in what was once said to be Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the facade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, a bar replaces the wash sinks, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Carrier is a mad genius of sorts. The restaurant's motto is "Look Good, Eat Good," and while the place makes you want to look good, you will eat good at The Beauty Shop. The menu is widely varied ~ a down -home American stance with world-beat tints and edges. The Beauty Shop is about the coolest, hippest restaurant around. It screams "Memphis", yet does so with ingenuity and originality; it plays a wacky theme to the limit but doesn't stream beyond the pale- It makes you feel good to be there,part of the fun; part of the animated crowd and leaves you well-fed to boot. What could be cooler that that?Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Beauty Shop - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
The Beauty Shop reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (69)great for brunch (42)special occasion (36)hot spot (28)great for lunch (27)good for groups (27)romantic (22)great for outdoor dining (20)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (12)late-night find (8)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Still tryingGirlfrydeeDined on 10/19/2014I have eaten at The Beauty Shop twice now and have yet to find food I like, but will keep trying. Fun place to go. Sunday brunch inside was quite loud, but still nice ambiance. Had been curious to try chicken and waffles somewhere, but would not recommend here unless you like chicken bone in and have to do some work. The waffle was delicious and the chicken by itself was great and had the very best crunchy outside batter ever .. but very difficult to eat on a waffle. Affordable for lunch or brunch. Not the best food in Cooper-Young so far, but I'll keep trying. On a side note, the place next door owned by same people, DKDC Bar, has the best fried egg sandwich you'll eat and great ambiance! (stay away from the steak at both places).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014This was a last minute brunch choice before leaving Memphis, going back to Michigan. Although there was not a lot of room in the restaurant, the employees did a great job taking care of customers. Food was good. Enjoyed the great southern hospitality. It was a great dining experience. It was probably a one-time dining experience for us because we are not from the area but we would suggest it for others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty ShopcoupleofloversDined on 10/5/2014While visiting Memphis, we had Sunday brunch at The Beauty Shop on recommendation from a former Memphis resident. The place is out of downtown and it was nice to see more of the city. It looked recently renovated and had a very cool vibe. Our meals were great -- I especially loved the grilled bread. So refreshing! My entrée, Beneduct, was very good but I have to admit that I was jealous of my companion's Chicken and Waffles (which seems to be one of Memphis's specialties). My only complaint of the place is that exactly an hour after our reservation we were informed that the next party for our table was arriving. Lucky for The Beauty Shop, we had passed on dessert so we were about to leave anyways.Special Features:
- Booths are a beauty!Dutch2essDined on 9/25/2014The booth creates a private dining feel with the enclosed spacing. The food is divine but beauty's to save room for dessert. We went before the Orpheum and all 4 of us ( 1 vegetarian, 1 foodie, 1 pescetarian and one VERY PICKY eater all loved our meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServicelovetoshopVIPDined on 9/24/2014I made early reservations at the Beauty Shop as many other diners had mentioned how loud it gets-so there were only two other couples eating there when we went. Our entrees arrived about 30 seconds after our appetizers were set on the table-seems like that would be better timed out from the kitchen-especially on a slow night. Through-out our entire meal-no one-including our waiter-even asked how the food was-plates were cleared but we never heard "how was everything". Water glasses stayed empty and meal was completely finished before the 2nd glass of wine arrived. My patacon was ok-my husband did rave about the fish he had.Special Features:
- Lovely EveningEatlocalDined on 9/22/2014My husband and I dined here recently; we were celebrating his birthday. We are both mid 20's, and this was the perfect place. It's great for young adults, but I would also recommend it for older ages. I would recommend the Beauty Shop to anyone who loves a relaxed and private atmosphere coupled with amazing service, food, and wine. We were seated in a booth that provided low noise and high privacy, both of which we love. The server was knowledgable about the dishes they served and made superb suggestions. I love that they use local farms for several of their ingredients. We were too full for dessert, but our server (without my requesting) brought out a small plate with a candle so that my husband could still blow one out on his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Great atmosphereNYCOutoftowneDined on 9/21/2014Was in town to visit my son for parents weekend. Had a great brunch due to good food, nice sized drnks and wonderful company. Loved the decor, ambiance and menu selections. We were the last group Rrkving for brunch so noise was not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and Great servicetrainmasterDined on 9/16/2014We went for a special occasion birthday dinner. The food was great. The service was very good. The meal cost was a good for the quality and service. Would return to the restaurant. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent Service, Good Food... ButmonkeybroganDined on 9/8/2014We had a lovely lunch here, but we felt is was ever so slightly lacking for the price. My salad was delicious but could have been really excellent is it came with a parmesan bread stick or an offering of croutons. Also all the desserts were priced the same and one of our party had one solitary crepe on the middle of a rather large plate and felt a little hard done by when looking at the giant slabs of cake others had. The service was excellent as was the setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/6/2014Great restaurant...the community table was full and abit noisy. The tables in the back were adorable. My special fish feature was ok. Some of the other dishes were fabulous. Definitely better for smaller groups. (Ours was for 6 people)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a Great SpotchocolatDined on 9/5/2014Sometimes we forget abut dining gems that have been around for awhile. The Beauty Shop continues to offer a unique atmosphere and superb food and service. The noise level here is very high, and it makes conversation difficult. I have also noticed during my last two visits that there are many group celebrations which makes it even louder. This restaurant seems to attract wedding showers, big birthday gatherings, etc. It's too bad there's no place for these large groups of diners that can locate them away from the general doing public. Not really a place I would choose for an intimate dining experience.Special Features:
- Going again next weekPickyDined on 9/4/2014My wife and I have a date night every Thursday evening. We both love to cook and often find that the food we eat at restaurants is not as good as what we make at home. The Beauty Shop was well worth the visit. My trout was outstanding as was my wife's barramundi both of which were cooked to perfection and artfully presented. For those of you in Memphis who have not been to the Beauty Shop recently, go. If you are in from out of town and looking for a restaurant that represents the best of Memphis, The Beaty Shop fits the bill.Special Features:
- Great Place!RichierichDined on 8/30/2014The food and decor were amazing! I heard their crapes were amazing, but was let down when a tiny over cooked crepe came out. All other food was A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty Shop - A Beautiful Meal!TheBeautyShopWinsDined on 8/28/2014We've lived in Memphis about a year and a half, and had been wanting to try The Beauty Shop for a while. We went for our 10 year wedding anniversary, and it was the perfect spot. Conveniently located at Cooper-Young, the perfect neighborhood for a stroll before or after your meal, The Beauty Shop is small and welcoming. The decor is modern and pleasant. Shae at the bar will make you one of the best cocktails you've ever had, and the service is impeccable. I am allergic to High Fructose Corn Syrup and Lindsey, our server, made sure that every ingredient used was safe for me. Our fish was amazing, perfectly seasoned, and the dishes we had were very innovative. I highly recommend The Beauty Shop, especially for a special occasion!Special Features:
- The Beauty ShopSarahLDined on 8/26/2014Great atmosphere and food! Coffee and gelato are the bomb too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a fun time!SadInMemphisDined on 8/23/2014The presentation was amazing, the food incredible, and the server adorable. This is a terrific restaurant for and experience. The atmosphere is too cute. Every dish we had was delicious and flavorful. The service was fun, interesting, and attentive. Everyone should experience the Beauty Shop.Special Features:
- Great food/ bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food is delicious here if you don't mind waiting an hour and a half to eat. The service was horrible and our steaks had to be taken back twice due to them being completely rare inside. We had dinner here with a bachelorette party and our waiter ignored us most of the night. We had to get another waitress to bring us drinks after waiting for him to bring them for 30 minutes. We arrived at 8:30 as per our reservation and finally got our dinner at 10pm. He was extremely rude when we asked to speak with his manager. The resturant is very nice and the food is great but for the price (about $50 per person) the service should be much better.Special Features:
- FoodieFoodieDined on 8/21/2014I have a hard time going anywhere ELSE for dinner in Memphis, though I've tried. And I have a hard time ordering anything but the Barramundi with succotash and marcona almonds, but this time our clever waiter said I'd reached my quota at three successive orders. So glad he imposed that rule: The trout was equally wonderful - the light approach to a tarter sauce prompted me to eat every bite. Then there's the gelato: Three scoops of your choice will make your day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty Shop in MemphisdgdowntownDined on 8/20/2014What a gem! We found the Beauty Shop while visiting our son at college. The food is amazing! The Ingredients are fresh, the menu is interesting and the food is prepared well. Service is quick, but you never feel rushed.Our server was knowledgeable about the food and the wine. You could tell he actually likes his job. The interior combines the authenticity of an old fashion beauty parlor with hip, modern touches. We go back every time we are in Memphis and we have not been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful time at The Beauty ShopshelmadineDined on 8/19/2014I am always looking for fresh, well prepared food. The offerings on the menu at the beauty shop are not laden with hip names (although the vintage 'beauty shop' look is pretty hip). The food descriptions are scrumptious and my taste buds tingled when reading the 'almond crusted sea bass' offering. This was my choice. The fish was fresh, moist, combined with lightly toasted almond taste, and served with sweet cob of corn. Was there with a friend. He dittoed my choice. We ate, smiled, chatted and drank beer. Although next time, I will order one of the signature cocktails from the bar. AND my food was plated up to perfection. Please go to website to view the pictures from the menu..art. But the chef is the true artist. Will return soon. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great food, slowwww serviceJJsManDined on 8/16/2014Food was terrific, inventive, delicious. Service was terrifically slow, poorly paced and timed. Perhaps someone was out that night??? No drink refills, no requests for another cocktail, people coming in had really long waits while sitting at their tables with menus in hand, waiting, waiting for a server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceEastMemphisDined on 8/16/2014Excellent service and great location for outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ from Start to FinishTennPokeDined on 8/16/2014We went with our good friends as a foursome. The other 3 people had all been before. I was excited because of how highly they spoke of the place. I had the Special Cut of the night. It was a Rib-Eye served with an amazing slaw and wonderful potatoes. I did get to try a wing from their standard Watermelon and Wings plate. It was fantastic and maybe the best deal on the menu. We also ordered a couple of deserts to share. We had the Coconut sorbet and a Toffee Crunch Milkshake. Both of these were fantastic ways to end the meal. We will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Always a treatMFlemDined on 8/10/2014The Beauty Shop never disappoints. We enjoyed Sunday brunch for 10 and everything was cooked to perfection, the service was phenomenal and the atmosphere was great! Great spot to visit when you're in Midtown Memphis!Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch FavHoosierDined on 8/10/2014Returned for a second visit for my birthday brunch, which was excellent. Our waitress was very friendly, quick with a refill, and even our request for a picture of us. We will return again.Special Features:
- AmazingAdorbesDined on 8/4/2014My boyfriend and I came on 8/4/2014 to celebrate a month of dating. It was amazing. Our waitress was spectacular. Knew all the food could give thoughts on what she liked. Knew how to sell the menu and she was very helpful and oh so nice. I hope she stays working there. The fresh food was a plus. The food was divine I had the pork and peaches and my date had the ribeye special with chunky smashed potatoes. Oh the creamed corn was my favorite along with the cinnamon Mexican chocolate gelato and the vanilla blackberry gelato. I would recommend the cheese player for an appetizer. There drinks are good and strong. The concept is great. We will be back again. The price was good to compared to everything we got. Love this place my first time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!RickJamesDined on 8/2/2014This place was excellent the first day it opened and is still that way today. We can always expect perfect service and perfect meals. LOVE The Beauty Shop!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Great variety of food choices from the apps to the desserts. Plenty to choose for all types of eaters. The cocktail list is creative and they are well made.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014Never a disappointment, and I try something new every time. Service is nice also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!ChiFoodieDined on 7/27/2014Service was good, prompt and friendly. Food however, was just really average. Not hot and fresh tasting, tasted pre-made and bland (I ordered the special of the day). Service was only saving grace. Not amazing but much better than the food. Would not come back here.Special Features:
- SueSueBRSueSueBRVIPDined on 7/26/2014Had a great food while sitting at the bar. Ordered several appetizers to share. The grilled romaine salad is a must! Great bartender made our dining experience fun fun! I'd drive back to Memphis for the weekend just to dine again at the Beauty Shop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling BeautifulMeetMeInMemphisDined on 7/25/2014Had dinner at The Beauty Shop for my son's birthday. The hot wings are really the best in town - huge, hot and crispy - they are paired with an Asian chili sauce and watermelon. I enjoyed with the night's special fish - the Alaskan char (a lighter fish than salmon with a pale pink flesh and rich taste). The preparation was not overdone and let the fish shine through. My son's fiancé had the amazing sea bass with an ear of shucked grilled corn and salsa on the side. The Peking Duck was probably the least successful dish, but everyone cleared their plates. The top of the night was the presentation of an amazing slice of chocolate cake topped with toffee crunch gelato and a birthday candle!! Thank you Beauty Shop for a Beautiful night!Special Features:
- DIGGS61Diggs61Dined on 7/21/2014fun & interesting food combinations! This is nooooo Memphis BBQ....thank goodness!Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014Very creative menu, attentive service and eclectic setting.Special Features:
- Top notch!FoodieBuffasDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food and service! My kids loved the pork carnitas and the watermelon & wings. The mushroom appetizer was okay. The monkey bread was great - should have ordered more of that dill butter. The gruyere toast point that came with the french onion soup was divine. My 10 year old loved it especially when he was dipping it into the soup.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereDeedeeDined on 7/12/2014Absolutely loved the ambiance. The Beauty Shop has some of the most original and unique decor. The food is very good. My soup was delicious and my boyfriend was impressed with how well his filet was cooked. The app was ok. Was not over impressed with the calamari but by no means was it a bad dish. We will definitely be coming back to try out other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The beauty of The Beauty ShopTheFoodieDined on 7/6/2014The Beauty Shop is a very eclectic restaurant. It is vintage with an artistic flair. It is not you average eatery. I would suggest going there for the cool experience as much as anything. It is however quite tasty and has a cool midtown memphis vibe. The food is hands down amazing but it is a little expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lindsey is the best server ever!!KellyHarrisonDined on 7/6/2014Just always have a great time when we done here. Lynsdey has waited on us several times and she is always great! Very bubbly and always smiling. The food is amazing as usual and we just live this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once more, great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014This time I brought a party of 6 people. Everyone liked the food and the environment.Special Features:
- The following 151 reviews are from the The Beauty Shop reviews archive.
- Beauty Shop brunch was a BombConQuesoDined on 6/22/2014Food was great. Very inventive menu. Atmosphere was great. Benedict's were very tasty as was the Big Boy Bloody Mary's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.