The Beauty Shop
966 S Cooper St
Memphis, TN 38104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Beauty Shop
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebeautyshoprestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9012727111x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday - 10 a.m.-3:00 pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday - 11 am - 2 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday - 5 pm - 10 pm
Dinner: Friday and Saturday - 5 pm - 11 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karen B. Carrier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Another Roadside Attraction Catering is our sister business. Please contact us by visiting our website ~
or call us @ 901-525-2624
A word from The Beauty Shop
Chef/ Restaurateur- Karen B. Carrier famed for -The Mollie Fontaine Lounge, Do Sushi, Another Roadside Attraction Catering opened Beauty Shop Restaurant in what was once said to be Priscilla Presley's curl-and-dye spot. It's a camp wonderland where the facade is Jetsons-era Vitrolite, a bar replaces the wash sinks, and choice seating is offered beneath hooded Belvedere hair dryers. Carrier is a mad genius of sorts. The restaurant's motto is "Look Good, Eat Good," and while the place makes you want to look good, you will eat good at The Beauty Shop. The menu is widely varied ~ a down -home American stance with world-beat tints and edges. The Beauty Shop is about the coolest, hippest restaurant around. It screams "Memphis", yet does so with ingenuity and originality; it plays a wacky theme to the limit but doesn't stream beyond the pale- It makes you feel good to be there,part of the fun; part of the animated crowd and leaves you well-fed to boot. What could be cooler that that?Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Beauty Shop - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
The Beauty Shop reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (77)great for brunch (48)special occasion (45)hot spot (30)great for lunch (30)good for groups (26)romantic (24)vibrant bar scene (23)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (15)late-night find (10)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Great Place!RichierichDined on 8/30/2014The food and decor were amazing! I heard their crapes were amazing, but was let down when a tiny over cooked crepe came out. All other food was A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty Shop - A Beautiful Meal!TheBeautyShopWinsDined on 8/28/2014We've lived in Memphis about a year and a half, and had been wanting to try The Beauty Shop for a while. We went for our 10 year wedding anniversary, and it was the perfect spot. Conveniently located at Cooper-Young, the perfect neighborhood for a stroll before or after your meal, The Beauty Shop is small and welcoming. The decor is modern and pleasant. Shae at the bar will make you one of the best cocktails you've ever had, and the service is impeccable. I am allergic to High Fructose Corn Syrup and Lindsey, our server, made sure that every ingredient used was safe for me. Our fish was amazing, perfectly seasoned, and the dishes we had were very innovative. I highly recommend The Beauty Shop, especially for a special occasion!Special Features:
- What a fun time!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014The presentation was amazing, the food incredible, and the server adorable. This is a terrific restaurant for and experience. The atmosphere is too cute. Every dish we had was delicious and flavorful. The service was fun, interesting, and attentive. Everyone should experience the Beauty Shop.Special Features:
- Great food/ bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food is delicious here if you don't mind waiting an hour and a half to eat. The service was horrible and our steaks had to be taken back twice due to them being completely rare inside. We had dinner here with a bachelorette party and our waiter ignored us most of the night. We had to get another waitress to bring us drinks after waiting for him to bring them for 30 minutes. We arrived at 8:30 as per our reservation and finally got our dinner at 10pm. He was extremely rude when we asked to speak with his manager. The resturant is very nice and the food is great but for the price (about $50 per person) the service should be much better.Special Features:
- FoodieFoodieDined on 8/21/2014I have a hard time going anywhere ELSE for dinner in Memphis, though I've tried. And I have a hard time ordering anything but the Barramundi with succotash and marcona almonds, but this time our clever waiter said I'd reached my quota at three successive orders. So glad he imposed that rule: The trout was equally wonderful - the light approach to a tarter sauce prompted me to eat every bite. Then there's the gelato: Three scoops of your choice will make your day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beauty Shop in MemphisdgdowntownDined on 8/20/2014What a gem! We found the Beauty Shop while visiting our son at college. The food is amazing! The Ingredients are fresh, the menu is interesting and the food is prepared well. Service is quick, but you never feel rushed.Our server was knowledgeable about the food and the wine. You could tell he actually likes his job. The interior combines the authenticity of an old fashion beauty parlor with hip, modern touches. We go back every time we are in Memphis and we have not been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful time at The Beauty ShopshelmadineDined on 8/19/2014I am always looking for fresh, well prepared food. The offerings on the menu at the beauty shop are not laden with hip names (although the vintage 'beauty shop' look is pretty hip). The food descriptions are scrumptious and my taste buds tingled when reading the 'almond crusted sea bass' offering. This was my choice. The fish was fresh, moist, combined with lightly toasted almond taste, and served with sweet cob of corn. Was there with a friend. He dittoed my choice. We ate, smiled, chatted and drank beer. Although next time, I will order one of the signature cocktails from the bar. AND my food was plated up to perfection. Please go to website to view the pictures from the menu..art. But the chef is the true artist. Will return soon. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great food, slowwww serviceJJsManDined on 8/16/2014Food was terrific, inventive, delicious. Service was terrifically slow, poorly paced and timed. Perhaps someone was out that night??? No drink refills, no requests for another cocktail, people coming in had really long waits while sitting at their tables with menus in hand, waiting, waiting for a server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceEastMemphisDined on 8/16/2014Excellent service and great location for outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ from Start to FinishTennPokeDined on 8/16/2014We went with our good friends as a foursome. The other 3 people had all been before. I was excited because of how highly they spoke of the place. I had the Special Cut of the night. It was a Rib-Eye served with an amazing slaw and wonderful potatoes. I did get to try a wing from their standard Watermelon and Wings plate. It was fantastic and maybe the best deal on the menu. We also ordered a couple of deserts to share. We had the Coconut sorbet and a Toffee Crunch Milkshake. Both of these were fantastic ways to end the meal. We will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Always a treatMFlemDined on 8/10/2014The Beauty Shop never disappoints. We enjoyed Sunday brunch for 10 and everything was cooked to perfection, the service was phenomenal and the atmosphere was great! Great spot to visit when you're in Midtown Memphis!Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch FavHoosierDined on 8/10/2014Returned for a second visit for my birthday brunch, which was excellent. Our waitress was very friendly, quick with a refill, and even our request for a picture of us. We will return again.Special Features:
- AmazingAdorbesDined on 8/4/2014My boyfriend and I came on 8/4/2014 to celebrate a month of dating. It was amazing. Our waitress was spectacular. Knew all the food could give thoughts on what she liked. Knew how to sell the menu and she was very helpful and oh so nice. I hope she stays working there. The fresh food was a plus. The food was divine I had the pork and peaches and my date had the ribeye special with chunky smashed potatoes. Oh the creamed corn was my favorite along with the cinnamon Mexican chocolate gelato and the vanilla blackberry gelato. I would recommend the cheese player for an appetizer. There drinks are good and strong. The concept is great. We will be back again. The price was good to compared to everything we got. Love this place my first time thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!RickJamesDined on 8/2/2014This place was excellent the first day it opened and is still that way today. We can always expect perfect service and perfect meals. LOVE The Beauty Shop!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Great variety of food choices from the apps to the desserts. Plenty to choose for all types of eaters. The cocktail list is creative and they are well made.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014Never a disappointment, and I try something new every time. Service is nice also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!ChiFoodieDined on 7/27/2014Service was good, prompt and friendly. Food however, was just really average. Not hot and fresh tasting, tasted pre-made and bland (I ordered the special of the day). Service was only saving grace. Not amazing but much better than the food. Would not come back here.Special Features:
- SueSueBRSueSueBRVIPDined on 7/26/2014Had a great food while sitting at the bar. Ordered several appetizers to share. The grilled romaine salad is a must! Great bartender made our dining experience fun fun! I'd drive back to Memphis for the weekend just to dine again at the Beauty Shop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling BeautifulMeetMeInMemphisDined on 7/25/2014Had dinner at The Beauty Shop for my son's birthday. The hot wings are really the best in town - huge, hot and crispy - they are paired with an Asian chili sauce and watermelon. I enjoyed with the night's special fish - the Alaskan char (a lighter fish than salmon with a pale pink flesh and rich taste). The preparation was not overdone and let the fish shine through. My son's fiancé had the amazing sea bass with an ear of shucked grilled corn and salsa on the side. The Peking Duck was probably the least successful dish, but everyone cleared their plates. The top of the night was the presentation of an amazing slice of chocolate cake topped with toffee crunch gelato and a birthday candle!! Thank you Beauty Shop for a Beautiful night!Special Features:
- DIGGS61Diggs61Dined on 7/21/2014fun & interesting food combinations! This is nooooo Memphis BBQ....thank goodness!Special Features:
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014Very creative menu, attentive service and eclectic setting.Special Features:
- Top notch!FoodieBuffasDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food and service! My kids loved the pork carnitas and the watermelon & wings. The mushroom appetizer was okay. The monkey bread was great - should have ordered more of that dill butter. The gruyere toast point that came with the french onion soup was divine. My 10 year old loved it especially when he was dipping it into the soup.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereDeedeeDined on 7/12/2014Absolutely loved the ambiance. The Beauty Shop has some of the most original and unique decor. The food is very good. My soup was delicious and my boyfriend was impressed with how well his filet was cooked. The app was ok. Was not over impressed with the calamari but by no means was it a bad dish. We will definitely be coming back to try out other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The beauty of The Beauty ShopTheFoodieDined on 7/6/2014The Beauty Shop is a very eclectic restaurant. It is vintage with an artistic flair. It is not you average eatery. I would suggest going there for the cool experience as much as anything. It is however quite tasty and has a cool midtown memphis vibe. The food is hands down amazing but it is a little expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lindsey is the best server ever!!KellyHarrisonDined on 7/6/2014Just always have a great time when we done here. Lynsdey has waited on us several times and she is always great! Very bubbly and always smiling. The food is amazing as usual and we just live this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once more, great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014This time I brought a party of 6 people. Everyone liked the food and the environment.Special Features:
- Beauty Shop brunch was a BombConQuesoDined on 6/22/2014Food was great. Very inventive menu. Atmosphere was great. Benedict's were very tasty as was the Big Boy Bloody Mary's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beauty Shop ExperienceSaturdayNightOutDined on 6/21/2014This was our first time to visit The Beauty Sop, although we had heard lots about it. Food was very good, (and somewhat unusual) as was the service. We definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Awesome 2nd visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2014This was my second visit. It was awesome! The service was fantastic and the food was as good as the first visit that inspired this one. I would recommend all to try this great restaurant.Special Features:
- Great place. Food not as good.GirlfrydeeDined on 6/14/2014I had never been to The Beauty Shop and had really looked forward to it. Made reservations for a special friend of mine and her daughter. Great place. Great service. Wish I had gotten the girl's name so I could mention her. Wonderful bloody Mary's and mimosas and larger than most, which was nice. Don't order the Thai steak salad though. Not good at all. Steak had a bitter burnt taste. But I will definitely go back and try something else. My friends loved the salmon sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrsImagecdrDined on 6/6/2014Loved the experience. Service was a little slow and our drink order was not right. Completely wrong drink for myself and served 2nd beer in same glass for my husband. :( Overall it was a good meal/eveningSpecial Features:
- A Beauty of a ShopfinerdinerDined on 5/31/2014Everything about the Beauty Shop is top-notch - the food, the service, and the atmosphere. The menu is edgy and original, with plenty of variety for the discerning diner. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Choice for BrunchDivanikDined on 5/25/2014My husband and I enjoy sitting at a table outside and watching the midtown neighborhood come to life. This is not a place for your traditional brunch items, so come willing to try something new. I highly recommend the lemon pancakes.Special Features:
- A cool Memphis GEM!SkootVIPDined on 5/22/2014Really groovy vibe and food to match. Perfect steak with excellent seasoning and a chef's herbed butter to come back for. I ate at the bar. Bartender was very attentive; sincerely interested in how well I liked my food and overall pleasant. I'm from Denver and travel a ton for business. Memphis, you have a world class restaurant. Visit it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InventiveConQuesoDined on 5/18/2014Food was creative and inventive. The beauty shop decor was fun. Attentive wait staff. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!!!JenigieDined on 5/18/2014Very unique and everyone was very impressed! Must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a fun spot!NewMephianDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I went looking for a cool hip spot for dinner and we were not disappointed! The kitsch hip beauty parlor environs were cool and the hip and lively cocktails from the bar were a tasty beginning to our experience. Our server was excellent and the food was top notch. My wife had the swordfish special....she loved the chimichurri and salsa. I had the sea bass off of the regular menu. It too was exceptional. The figs were a perfect compliment to the acid in the dish. And, it was cooked perfectly. For dessert we split a lovely light coconut cake and the dark chocolate and sea salt shake...both were a yummy treats. We both highly recommend the Beauty Shop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommendation Right On!JAKAPDined on 5/11/2014A friend recommended Beauty Shop & they were right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite Sunday brunch!bookmamaDined on 5/11/2014Best Sunday Brunch in Cooper-Young! Yummy Bloody Marys and too many yummy dishes to name!Special Features:
- A little disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014We had recently been to brunch at the Beauty Shop for a holiday and were very happy with our experience. This time, I was disappointed. The Easter brunch menu had lots of options and I wish I could have ordered several entrees; however, the Mother's Day menu left me without any intriguing choices. I ended up with something that was just so-so. We were seating in the Bar DKDC section which was surprising since I requested a highchair in my reservation. Overall, not what I've come to expect from the Beauty Shop.Special Features: