The Beach Plum
50 Beach Plum Lane
Menemsha, MA 02552Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Beach Plum
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.beachplumrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5086459454x
- Hours of Operation:
Open seven days a week for dinner, starting a 5:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Fischer
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact The Beach Plum directly for additional information on hosting a Private Party.
- Private Party Contact: Brandon O'Connor 5086459454x
- Special Events: The Beach Plum Restaurant hosts private dining, events, meetings and retreats. Gatherings of up to 180 people are welcome.
A word from The Beach Plum
The Beach Plum Restaurant is located in the small fishing village of Menemsha on the island of Martha's Vineyard with a view of the Elizabeth Islands. Chef Chris Fischer also runs his family farm, Beetlebung Farm, less than a mile up the road. Together, with a team of curious and dexterous cooks, farmers and staff thoughtful, healthy food is produced.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Beach Plum - Best Restaurants in Martha's Vineyard ›
The Beach Plum reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (83)great for outdoor dining (65)romantic (53)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (47)good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (17)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great food, but way too noisyNomadDined on 9/12/2014The Beach Plum is a beautiful place with a great chef and wait staff. The food was tasty and interesting; everything locally sourced. I highly recommend they invest in a fix for the acoustics. When I am dining at that level I like to be able to talk to the person sitting across the table from me and hear what they are saying without straining.Special Features:
- Service was marginal, menu limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The best part of the Beach Plum is the view. We have dined here quite a few times and it has changed. The menu is not special at all and very limited. Really..... A burger for $27? How about offering a fine steak and some special fish. I cook and I make better meals so I would think twice before going there again. The lobster appetizer was very good however and we do like that we can bring our own wine.Special Features:
- RLMSTARTING41Dined on 9/2/2014We visited the restaurant 4o years ago, on our honeymoon - the memories are certainly are a lot better than our latest visit. Downsides: sitting at group picnic tables (although our neighbors were great people), no soda offered at all (only ice tea is available - the restaurant is BYOB), menu has limited selections, the portions are small and the service was not great. Positives: what food there was, was very tasty and the view /grounds are beautiful - great sunset.Special Features:
- JajmDined on 9/2/2014Limited menu, small portions, pricey. Should remind diners to BYOB.Special Features:
- Beautiful meals all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Our party of four had a wonderful evening---terrific food and service. Interesting food---not the same old same old. Fresh everything. We'll definitely go back and recommend to our sailling friends who go to Menemsha Harbor.Special Features:
- Spectacular viewmvislandDined on 8/29/2014The restaurant is so nice, great view, great out door seating. Wonderful place. The food was fine, somewhat pricey, and not as wonderful as you would expect from other reviews. But on the island of Marthas Vineyard it is one of the better places to go.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014The view is spectacular - service was great but the overall value for meal vs what you receive was poor - it was an extremely small portion for a high price - I would have no trouble with Island pricing if there was a more appropriate plate size - very disappointingSpecial Features:
- jack and graceshesaneaterDined on 8/29/2014one of the best meals for us ANYWHERE over the last year which includes chez panisse, union square cafe, many others. superb salads, fresh beyond fresh and nuanced with herbs and local feta. a chicken diablo was mind blowing as was a big eye tuna and a local pork. we have been coming here all summer, the foccacia is brilliant every time as are the appetizers. portions can be a touch small. this night there was a home made pasta and a fresh tomato sauce that wouldn't have been better in a small trattoria in italy in august. the food was so good that you wish you could put it in a bottle and save it forever. its true that quality here goes up and down, but that is the way it is with geniuses and experimenters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fall from gracebobsVIPDined on 8/27/2014For years we visited this restaurant and were delighted. we sat next to POTUS and his team one year. We were sat at a park bench next to customers already dining...at our table. Our waiter opened the wine and placed it in the communal washtub for cooling, seldom saw him again to fill; this was a disappointment. Such scarcity of service was evident throughout the night, we waited no less than 15 miniutes to get someone's attention to open our bottle of red. It was done, finally after the main course was served. The appetizer suishimi had consistency of mashed potatoes. The main course local beef. The flavor was fine, but loaded with grisle. I am thankful I was outside and was able to discard most mouthfuls into the bushes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014menu very limited only 3 entrees-Ham, Chicken and Tuna.Special Features:
- not for everyoneBraisedleeksVIPDined on 8/19/2014Chris has taken a risk here with a no compromise menu of very few choices and several items exclusively for two leaving still fewer choices. NOTHING for kids; the children at the next table were stymied s was mother. Portions are very small and prices are not. Having said all of this the food is an interesting blend of rustic and sophisticated. My sister was quite disappointed but I enjoyed my meal and hers which she declined to eat. A little too much attitude from staff.Special Features:
- DEIRDREVIPDined on 8/16/2014COULD USE A FEW MORE CHOICES ON THE MENU. GOOD BUT LIMITED.Special Features:
- Disappointing With a ViewcbreviewDined on 8/15/2014We so looked forward to returning to The Beach Plum- a truly beautiful spot. That was about it this time. The setting is beautiful, the service fine, menu is limited (not a problem, choices are local, fresh, interesting), food is good, prices high (as expected and fine if the meal and experience deliver). But wow -- such arrogance -- I'm not sure how else to describe serving food that is fine (not spectacular) with such outrageously meager portions. We ordered the Focaccia, apps and salad before entrees. The meal in no way justified the price. Actually, it was laughable. Perhaps if you plan to hit Mad Martha's afterwards and need to save a little room...Not the experience we returned for and, sadly, we will not be gong back. What a shame.Special Features:
- WonderfulLindaSDined on 8/15/2014There have been a lot of changes at the Beach Plum - all great. The room is warm and inviting, the service endearing and the cooking outstanding. Be forewarned though, the menu, which is all locally sourced and changes daily, is very limited. But it is delicious and worth every penny. The Beach Plum is now a truly great restaurant even without the best view in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TellerVIPDined on 8/14/2014We sadly were disappointed. We'd eaten there happily many times before, but the new menu with just a small handful of choices and small portions didn't do it for us. We hope they go back to their original formula. ...Special Features:
- Don't BotherMsFigDined on 8/12/2014The scenery and view are wonderful, but that's where it ends. The service was terrible, and even though there's a mandatory corkage fee for the BYOB, the waitstaff didn't bother to refill our glasses as needed after taking our bottle across the room to a cooler. We got up and down a lot... An appetizer of beans in a vinaigrette was tasty but the prep staff somehow felt it was ok to leave the stems on, basically inedible. Our whole fish arrived and the server didn't offer to bone or filet it table side, as is normally done. Good thing my dining partner was a seasoned cook! The fish was, in the end, well cooked but relatively bland and not worth the hefty price. Desserts were literally inedible. We left hungry & quite disappointed.Special Features:
- A Beautiful dining experienceWilliamsVIPDined on 8/10/2014We have enjoyed dining here for the third time in three years. This time was especially lovely as we had an outdoor table facing west as the sun set. The property itself is beautiful and the meal was delicious, my entree was perfectly prepared fluke! We remembered to bring our wine as well which we actually prefer! The servers were prompt and personable....and kept our water and wine glasses full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced & Frankly DisgustingDisgustingDined on 8/7/2014We had the highest hopes for this experience based on previous visits. We were warned shortly before dining that the Chef had recently been panned as having too big an ego to support his kitchen. Upon arrival we were seated and our wine was stored. We were presented drinks by one server and then approached by another with specials. This server was barely audible in the loud atmosphere. Luckily we were not interested in the specials ($76 half chicken) as we could barely hear. The rest of the night we had many servers, none of whom were particularly friendly. We ordered water and then watch as the open-air kitchen proceeded to taste all food with hands and spoons that went directly back into guest food. Disgusting! My brisket arrived cold.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014Lovely restaurant, my favorite on the Vineyard, with spectacular view and decor and delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a piece of heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/6/2014spectacular setting and creative cuisine... locavore paradiseSpecial Features:
- shesaneaterDined on 8/6/2014the quality of the ingredients is superb--mostly organic and grown on the island. The entrees can be excellent or less than that, the unevenness of the cooking is an issue--sometimes the flavors do not mesh such as one night when a fantastic ginnea hen was served with picked squash. Salads (Mason's arugula served with grated lemon) is among the best salads i haveever had-- appetizers such as crostini with slow roasted onions-- and desserts are over the moon. Memorable entrees were brisket in yoghurt, ginnea hen , and risotto with clams and mussels. Odd that clams, mussels and oysters are rarely on the menu. And the menu is totally different every night, both a wonder and sometimes annoying that great things are never repeated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highway robberyFrequentdinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014The positives: BYOB & a great view of Menemsha Pond. We knew to expect high prices and are willing to pay for quality food, but got only the high prices. The menu is extremely limited (only 3 entree choices the night we were there). We reluctantly settled on the T-bone steak for a whopping $80. It was tasteless, tough and lukewarm, served with only a couple of bland roast potatoes. The waitress offered to have it reheated, but that would have only made it worse. We had started with a salad consisting of only some lettuce and a few carrot curls in an ordinary vinaigrette and a blue fish crudo, which required a microscope to see. The service was adequate but perfunctory. We will stick with our other favorite Vineyard restaurants.Special Features:
- great and romantic and gorgeousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Love this place. want to look into the rooms and cottages and move in.Special Features:
- Kind of disappointed in our foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Fun time. One of my party ordered the rigatoni as a main course. Serving was small and served very plainly in a cereal bowl. Other pasta entree was good, but serving was also very plain. Both were priced comparably with the meat and fish entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014I thought the portions were very small for the price.Special Features:
- DisappointedBriarknollDined on 7/31/2014I understand the concept of a daily menu, however, this menu was far too restrictive. There was a chicken dish - leg and thigh - a shrimp dish and then a lamb and fluke dish that each required sharing and only 3 appetizer options. I have dined in NYC at some of the best restaurants and I felt the prices were extremely high for what we received. They even charged for bread which was rather insulting, yet we paid for it. To top it off, the lamb came out Luke warm/ cold and the chickpeas were on the hard side. We ordered one of each of the four desserts - little did we know the "chocolate plate" was 3 pieces of rock hard baking chocolate. Other desserts were great. We were packed in like sardines and next to the wine cooler. We wereSpecial Features:
- unhappycustomerDined on 7/29/2014It just didn't compare to last year which was great. No meat dish on very limited menu. Dessert was great.Special Features:
- great viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014Beach Plum overlooksthewater and is a lovely place to dine. My only negative comment would be that the menu is a little limited and could have been wider inchoices.Special Features:
- great foodbrunchDined on 7/29/2014We are always happy with the food. although not a big selection-it is always creative and very good. When we first arrived the Chef was a bit loud. We love the atmosphere and the service was great. Next time we will ask for a table outside as the view of Menemsha beach is outstanding.Special Features:
- Portions are ridiculousres2raunterDined on 7/25/2014The Beach Plum used to be one of my favorite restaurants on the Vineyard. Now, whoever owns it has decided that "less is more"to the extreme. Suffice it to say that anyone who eats there will be shocked at how small the portions are regardless of whether they are appetizers or entrées. Some dishes are quite good from a culinary standpoint, but with the ridiculously sized portions, you can't help but feel cheated and extremely disappointed. Regardless of size, ANYONE would be shocked to pay 30 to 40 dollars and receiving an entree that contains 3-4 ounces of food including the accompanying vegetables. I'm so sad and disappointed that a restaurant so many islanders and visitors have enjoyed over the years has turned into a bad joke.
- Beach Plum RestaurantAmberMVDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful food, atmosphere, staff, and man-in-charge Chris Fischer. Dining at the Beach Plum Restaurant is a great experience, and I would recommend eating there at least once to everyone.Special Features:
- SublimeMVFriendsDined on 7/23/2014From the scenic views to the dessert...our dining experience was sublime. We have been returning to the Beach Plum for about 15 years and will continue because the experience is always sensational! Congratulations to the new owner and the personal touches he has added to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Food, Ridiculous PricesVineyardFoodieFamilyDined on 7/23/2014This Restaurant was SUCH a disappointment. My pork, which cost close to 40$, was awful. It was almost entirely fat and the meet was so dry I could barely swallow it. The presentation was bizarre (it was surrounded by lettuce, half of it wilted) and I could have done a much better job my self. My mom asked them for a vegetarian dish since they have no veggie entres and her dish consisted of mushy overcooked peppers and squash on a plate no bigger than the size of my hand. She specifically asked for the dish to have some greens in it and when it arrived at the table there wasn't a green item on the plate. This pathetic little dish rang up at $28.00! They are basically robbing you blind! This place has really gone down hill.Special Features:
- ChrisDined on 7/23/2014Great farm/ocean to table menu. Beautiful setting. BYOB.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/23/2014great view. not very kid friendly. limited menu. food was okay, seemed overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once is enoughOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014rustic..they get away with a lot..but great food..portions are very small and pricey. The views were great. Service just OK. If I hadn't read reviews I would definitely be put off by the small portions and rustic accommodations. Wait staff was not appropriately dressed. Bra and breast were clearly visible even my 27 year old daughter commented. Destination dining not a regular dining spot. Once is enough. If you don't bring your own alcohol or if you are a non drinker..they only beverages available are lemonade and iced tea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a beautiful nightStevenmgDined on 7/17/2014No better view than outdoors at this place on a beautiful evening at sunset. Food was okay. Experience was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second and Third Meals2mangoesaheadDined on 7/12/2014The portions got much more reasonable after our first visit, though I would really like some good, plain bread, even if I have to pay. I still miss the chick pea/spinach/poached egg dish from last year and the beginning of this summer, but the food was good and the chocolate-almond torte was delicious. Too loud for us seventy year olds so maybe we should arrive even before six. The staff is pleasant and attentive and the view fabulous.Special Features:
- A lovely eveningExperiencedDinersDined on 7/11/2014Enchanting ambiance & delicious, creative food. Service a bit off, not on par with the quality of the food or reputation. Hostess who sat us expected me to squeeze into a very narrow space without moving a very large, long table to allow access (I'm thin, but not that thin). Had to prompt her a few times about the seating challenge and a solution. We requested our first 2 courses be brought out separately. However waitress appeared with plates only for our second course and asked how we enjoyed the first course, then didn't understand we had not even been served the first course yet. Didn't notice we didn't get first course. Asked for first course again before the second, only to get the second one before the first. Very polite but rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYOBDiningDivaVIPDined on 7/11/2014Wonderful dining... but remember it's a dry town. And you need to BYOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.