The Beach House
4633 Woodson Lane NE
Bainbridge, WA 98110Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Beach House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://beachhouseatpleasantbeach.com/
- Phone: (206) 780-3663
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm & Closed Monday
Brunch, Sunday: 9:00am - 1:00pm. No reservations taken for breakfast.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Joe Benish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We will gladly accommodate private parties of up to 40 in the adjacent Manor House. With multiple private dining areas including the sophisticated "library", the cozy "loft" over-looking Puget Sound, or the elegant patio with it"s exclusive fireplace, your private party is sure to be a hit. The entire restaurant is also available for private parties. Subject to availability. Minimum expenditures will apply.
- Private Party Contact: Steve Bell 2067803663x
- Entertainment: We have Happy Hour in the bar from 5:00pm-6:00pm Tuesday through Sunday
A word from The Beach House
We welcome you to bask in the glow of our wood-burning fireplace, watch the ferry coast through Rich Passage, cool off with a cocktail on our open-air patio, all while enjoying scratch-made, all-American regional cuisine with a Northwest twist. You're sure to feel at home when you arrive at our New-Hampshire-style beach house. We look forward to meeting you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Beach House - Best Restaurants in Bainbridge Island ›
The Beach House reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (46)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (38)scenic view (36)fit for foodies (34)romantic (22)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Beach House ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014I ordered the seafood stew. It was delicious but the portion size was fit for an appetizer not an entree! My husband's pork tenderloin was delicious and far more generous! Luckily he shared some with me! The ambiance is wonderful. Cozy and warm diningroom for a November evening. We sat right by the fireplace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING DINING EXPERIENCEislandgalVIPDined on 11/20/2014The Beach House has been in transition the past few months. And I am so happy to say our dining experience this week was excellent. Yolanda was our server and she is simply the best.....friendly, knowledgeable about the menu and wine pairings. We all ordered different entrees and we were all pleased with your meals. The pork, risotto, duck and salmon were all delicious. The only issue was the kitchen is still backed up and so we waited for our appetizers and entrees...but the ambiance is so pleasant that it wasn't a negative for us. The new bartender from Portland was outstanding. He has added several craft cocktails that are exceptional. And he came to our table and was very engaging and friendly. We had a wonderful evening!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place, Good Food, Limited MenuDaveDined on 11/16/2014The menu us limited, but this is somewhat understandable, since it is a small place. The only vegetable available (besides potatoes) the night we were there was Brussels sprouts, which I dislike. That is the only reason I didn't give the food 5 stars. The food was otherwise excellent and in sensible portions. The atmosphere is wonderful and the service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best view on BI!FrenchFoodFanDined on 11/15/2014This is the only nice restaurant on BI that has an amazing view! The food is local and fresh - lots of healthy vegetable options that make great appetizers! The roasted Brussel sprouts made a very tasty appetizer! Also - I am gluten and dairy and soy free, and found many amazing tasty options! And the kitchen also accommodated our requests. We were celebrating a birthday and got impeccable service. Plus the outside garden terrace area is beautiful even at night - lots of twinkling lights, warm fires and several distinctive water features. We were there on one of those freezing nights we've had lately, but were drawn outside for an after-dinner stroll through the garden and were so glad we did. The wine list could benefit from more wine selections from other countries, otherwise a truly delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will never return...........IslanderDined on 11/12/2014Though this restaurant is about one mile from our home we will not go there again... It seems as if all the old folk patrons enjoy being recognized as returning customers more than they know what good food is.!! The restaurant has been undergoing kitchen problems for far to long now... It is still!! Our fried oysters were mush... My wife's entrée was thirty dollars for three scallops and five gnocchi?... My lamb chops special was cold on arrival and very fat chops that looked more like veal than lamb? ..... Upon arrival the hostess refused to give us the table I had requested saying; "It is reserved"? ... She would not back down.. Not a pleasant start for the birthday dinner that they did not recognize. I may sound petty... I am a retired hotel food and beverage manager and I really know the restaurant business.... This restaurant is SO Overpriced for what they are offering. I feel they need to lower prices until they get their act together. This is the first review I have written in years.... As I get older I just can't tolerate incompetence... Luckily here on Bainbridge Island we have other Good restaurants and Seattle is just a ferry ride away.....
- Special occasion not specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014had a problem with my meal waitress sent it back to the chef when it returned it was worse! choice at that point was to wait for a new meal or not eat due to other party being finished with their meal so I chose not to eat. they did take my meal off our bill. keep your coat with you! my husbands coat was taken (not the restaurants fault) someone left theirs and took my husbands. wonderful decor, view and location. great wine list. Wait staff was good and friendly. the gentleman that sat us gave us a complete rundown on specials and knows his oysters!! if you like seafood this is the place! wonderful seafood choices.Special Features:
- DisappointedHarryDined on 11/1/2014The waitress was friendly and did a good job. The main course was a long wait in coming. I was disappointed in the new way the fillet is prepared. The sauce is too strong and over cooked and the meat was undercooked. My guest and myself both ordered rare but it was barely warm in the center to the point that I took it home and finished cooking it till I felt safe in eating it. I also preferred the twice baked potato that used to be on the menu. Some of the items we ordered we really small portions. Only three oysters!Special Features:
- ImprovingdessertisnodishesDined on 10/26/2014The Beach House started strong with a great chef when it opened. But when the head chef left and the management changed, the impact was evident. The food was not as good, the service was lacking and the wine list was very disappointing. We were thrilled to sit down to dinner the other night and discover the Beach House has an awesome new GM (Ben who worked at Four Swallows and Marché), an updated menu and wine list and service that had vastly improved. Overall, it was a great meal and we are thrilled to have the Beach House back as one of our top choices for date nights and a nice family dinner out for special nights.Special Features:
- Wow!ttThosL55Dined on 10/22/2014Excellent friendly service and marvelous food with great sides and creative presentation. All good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryDined on 10/21/2014My wife and I and a friend had a wonderful time at dinner this past Tuesday (Oct22). The service by Stephanie was timely and courteous. I appreciated the ability to bring a special bottle of wine for a moderate corkage fee. The food came out of the kitchen so hot we had to let it cool down before we could eat it. Our oyster appetizers were great tasting and well presented. I really enjoyed my chicken dish. Perhaps all of the staff were on their toes because of past bad on-line comments, but I found this restaurant to be a fabulous find, I only wish they had a lamb dish on the menu. I did not see a whit of any of the problems mentioned in recent postings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant Has DisappearedSantanaDined on 10/9/2014For 18 months we have enjoyed & touted this formerly fine restaurant, but around 30/45 days ago it changed for the worse. Negative menu changes have been made. For our special long-arranged family outing, the 5 of us were served cooked food that was cold when brought to our table. All the steaks were under-cooked by a wide margin. Service was spotty. The friendly receptionist environment was missing. When we walked in the door I wondered where is everybody? After touting this restaurant to my guests, we all came away deeply disappointed. Yes, the steaks were taken off the bill but one doesn't go to such a restaurant looking for a discount. A neighbor told me that he too saw a degradation of quality at TBH over the past month or so.Special Features:
- DisappointeddendonDined on 10/4/2014It is a very nice room though small. There was nothing special about the food and no reason to go back for that - a drink at the bar or patio, yes if you can find a seat. Entree portions were not commensurate with price and were served without a starch of any kind - no rice, potato, etc. The dinner rolls were absolutely flavorless, my wine was apparently the last of the bottle as the bottom of my glass was filled with sludge. Our server was pretty good, but the youthful exuberance quickly wears thin when you can easily tell they have very little experience - please, not every sentence has to contain a superlative. It took a long time to be served as well. As my wife said as we were leaving, "We eat a lot better than this at home.".
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014the fish was cold and the rare steak was not rare. good vegetables but a bit pricey if that's the only good thing that came out of the evening
- Delightful dinnersrb42Dined on 9/28/2014We have always had good food at Beach House, but dinner on9/28 was a big step up. The seafood risotto, with prawns, clams and a variety of mushrooms was fabulous; cooked perfectly. My wife, who is northern Italian, said it was best risotto she had had in Seattle. I had pan-fried rockfish, served with braised red cabbage and caramelized sweet corn and carrot puree; an inspired combination, the rockfish cooked perfectly. We later found out that kitchen recently under new management; we look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!wookiesmomDined on 9/26/2014Tried to book a 5:30 pm for 4, with out of town guests, two days in advance on line. Only a 5 and 8 p.m. were available. A little surprising. When arrived at the restaurant no one there. Hardly anyone came in for 45 minutes. When we walked in, were asked whether we wanted inside or outside. When we said outside, they said that an outside spot would have to be prepared. We declined and asked for a table by the window; were told that it was reserved. Got seated somewhere else but let guests see the view from a distance. Cold air blowing straight down on us and music quite loud and not suited for dinner. The dinner and service were fabulous however, including the salads. The halibut was superb! Wine and other libations wonderful.Special Features:
- Great PlaceLoveBainbridgeDined on 9/21/2014It still has excellent food & wine. The new wait staff needs some training. The bread server came to the table and saw we had our main course and turned and left. We had to ask our waiter if we could get some bread. I am happy to see that they now have a regular dessert option over the dessert thimbles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014Magnificent fresh halibut, beautifully prepared. The center of a perfect Seattle getaway.Special Features:
- great spotSantanaDined on 9/11/2014located close to our home, we love this fine restaurant. very good servers. high quality food. great decor.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceRedjanVIPDined on 9/6/2014Their patio is lovely on a gorgeous summer evening. Inside is cozy and charming. The food is delicious. A great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu and Pricing changes not greatKermitDined on 9/6/2014Dined here several times since it opened and each time the experience has been less enjoyable. If I go again, I think I'll stick to the truffle fries and the burger. Recently it seems as if the menu has changed and the prices of everything have gone up. Even the burger is $16. My wife had the Macadamia Nut encrusted chicken and it was COLD. For $21-23 it was a fairly plain dish anyway. We had waited approximately fifty minutes for our entrees and the place wasn't too busy. We sat outside, which is nice, and there were only two other tables dining at the time. I'd love to give our local restaurant more stars and a better review, but they seem to be faltering. . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Table was available at reservation time, service was prompt and continued to be exceptional throughout our meal, food was very good.Special Features:
- ServiceSMRVinoDined on 8/26/2014The service at the host stand and the bar were lacking but our waiter, Max was WONDERFUL! Very professional yet friendly and knowledgeable of the menu and specials. The bar is way too cramped and it still took about 15 mins to get our wine order but she was friendly. Make sure to ask for specific seating when making a reservation if you don't want to sit in the middle of the restaurant very close to other tables. There is window nook seating and also deck seating available.Special Features:
- Strange experienceDukenfieldDined on 8/26/2014Good eating with a varied menu. Service (Max) was excellent. However, the minutes we sat down a waitress brought us a plate of frites and a huge burger. We had to tell her it was not for us and that we hadn't even ordered yet. Later, the kitchen lost our ticket so we waited almost an hour between our appetizers and mains. We were just about to ask for the check and leave when we were finally served. This is an anomaly, I'm sure, but it soured us on the evening's experience. Also, when we made our reservation I requested an outdoor table, which was confirmed by Open Table. Upon our early arrival we were told that you don't honor outdoor table requests and that the patio was full. Off to a bad start.Special Features:
- good, not spectacularToriopDined on 8/23/2014We went there last Dec and everything was spectacular; we were there on 08.23 and the food was not spectacular, it was good. The bread was stale and it took half an hour for our 3 dishes to arrive, and the rest was not crowded. The wine was wonderful, absolutely delicious desserts and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abcyum100Dined on 8/20/2014We had Halibut and it was served in a broth. It might have been firmer and better without the broth. However, it was GOOD AND WE CLEANED OUR PLATES. The broth might have disapeared also if we had been given spoons. We are repeat patons and have never been disappointed. We wish you were open for lunch in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No complaints!!rsftravelerDined on 8/20/2014I don't know what some people are complaining about. I go frequently to Beach House and find it always the best on the island in terms of ambience and food. Pizza is off the menu because the oven broke and profit from pizza didn't warrant a new oven - simple explanation. The new chef, from my understanding was the sou chef since it opened so the transition was fairly seamless. My petite filet mignon was perfectly prepared and the sauce was heavenly. My risotto cakes were so flavorful I could have eaten 10. The accompanying asparagus were al dente. Veronica has been my only waitress for the many times I've gone and she is simply adorable, efficient, and always asks to give her feedback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious As Always!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Lovely meal, full of flavor, nicely presented. Booths a bit tight for more than 2. Great service, friendly staff.Special Features:
- This side of perfectionMonaDined on 8/9/2014We've eaten at the Beach House approximately 15 times. Anniversaries, birthdays, father's days, out-of-town guests, need for escape and all have been wonderful. The staff are fun.Special Features:
- UnsatisfiedFood14Dined on 8/9/2014The trout i had was horrible. table was right at the entrance. we had to see everybody come and go. My husband's steak was okay but nothing to write home about. i would give a 2 minus to this restaurant! the only good thing was the margarita!
- THE BEACH HOUSE IS A GEMRTOEEODined on 8/9/2014We love THE BEACH HOUSE for special occasions and for showing out-of-town guests the best of our island. EXCELLENT five star food. Great facility and setting. FUN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodislandgalDined on 8/8/2014Loved the locale, ambiance, cute beachy cottage feel. Very nice people. The menu was limited, good food, but nothing really different. The usual small steak, slab of salmon, encrusted chicken, etc. Cooked well, just didn't seem to be anything on the menu that stood out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday Date NightThursdayDateNightDined on 8/7/2014We have eaten several times at The Beach House and all our meals have been excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningfoodiegirlDined on 8/5/2014Our party of four just had a wonderful meal on the patio. Fresh oysters, a wonderful trout special, fantastic halibut!!! The service was very good, the food was amazing. A+++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good Local RestaurantLSGADined on 8/3/2014Lovely ambience, interesting but nontheless delicious food and attentive service when you can get their attention. Had the sea scallops and they were outstanding...perfectly cooked. Good happy hour at the bar which is on the small side but then you can have interesting conversations with your neighbors. Nice deck with a view of the bay and little village. Also good parking available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- regulardinerDined on 7/31/2014Generally pleasant dining experience, but food preparation and quality very inconsistent.
- Birthday CelebrationSkydiverDined on 7/30/2014I can highly recommend dining at this restaurant. The service was outstanding and the food was absolutely delicious - I really enjoy good food with portions that are not super-sized. The butternut squash ravioli is a must and the petite fillet looked mouthwatering too, I will choose that entree on my next visit. I enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere of the restaurant, I will definitely be back for dinner and I will be coming over for brunch in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rick4thandPikeDined on 7/30/2014Bainbridge Island restaurants are noted for spotty service and food. The Beach House is upholding the tradition. We ordered two glasses of rose and after 15 minutes we flagged down a different server and asked if she would check on the wine. Five minutes later she brought the order, didn't say anything, put the glasses down and left. Friendly. When our waitress finally came back to the table we ordered cheeseburgers. It took 40 minutes, both burgers were over-cooked and tepid. The waitress apologized for the delay noting the kitchen was slammed. There were 7 tables with diners when we ordered. That's slammed? And we got it all for the bargain price of $90.00. WOW!
- In transition?TeraDined on 7/29/2014We really want this place to work! I don't know how to account for how uneven the food quality was Tuesday 7/29. It was so disappointing.....the lovely shrimp appetizer that we usually love came out practically raw(twice!), and the nice, usually-delicious semi-spicy sauce was bland with no garlic. But, the saving grace: nice caesar salads, the delicious ribeye steak(sauce was cold and gelatinous so I'll ask for it on the side next time--or not come back? ), great ravioli. Great drinks! Please support this place to do better, manager, by giving the kitchen what it needs to do well! It's a lovely restaurant, truly, but we really like consistently good food, so please, we want you succeed! Could you please problem solve? We want to support u!Special Features:
- The following 230 reviews are from the The Beach House reviews archive.
- Hoping for a ComebackOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2014This was, until April 2014 or so, the best restaurant we knew of in the West Sound - food to die for in a wonderful setting, with light-up menus we'd never seen anywhere else, fabulous kale salad, great steaks - the best. But something seems to have happened now that they've dropped the illuminated menus for standard flat menus and removed the pizzas from their offerings. The person brewing our iced tea mistakenly used green tea instead of black tea. The kale salad was utterly different from what we'd loved, and was swimming in dressing. Worst was the ribeye steak, of which at least 1/3 was sheer fat that should have been trimmed before it was served. The butternut squash ravioli was a pale ghost of what we'd had earlier. Alas.
- HalibutYummyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Halibut is usually melt in your mouth but this night it was disappointingly not.