702 Hawthorne Rd
Bethlehem, PA 18018Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dat-bayou.com/
- Phone: 6104196669
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Baxter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature Live Music every Friday night from 10pm-1am. Showcasing the areas best Blues, Jazz & Acoustic Musicians. Our kitchen closes at 11pm on Fridays so get in early for a bite and enjoy!
A word from The Bayou
The Bayou: Southern Kitchen & Bar is a small local restaurant that offers a creative take on classic New Orleans cooking. The menu is meant to be a shared experience, like eating at the home of a good friend. Pick and choose a mixture of items to satisfy your different tastes and share them amongst the table. Pair your meal with a perfectly mixed cocktail or one of our 24 craft beers. Sit back and savor your meal, and enjoy the music. There's never a need to rush when you're at The Bayou. And don't forget to say hi to Mo & Cristian, the two are always around, and couldn't be happier to welcome you to their southern kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Bayou - Best Restaurants in Bethlehem ›
The Bayou reviews from OpenTable diners
316 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (198)neighborhood gem (196)hot spot (156)great for outdoor dining (123)vibrant bar scene (121)good for groups (94)special occasion (88)great for lunch (87)late-night find (63)romantic (44)great for brunch (26)kid-friendly (24)notable wine list (12)scenic view (5)Show More
- Don't Go unless just for drinksHithereDined on 9/27/2014They sat our table of 7 at a table that fits 6. Our gumbo sucked, our hush puppy's were over cooked and dry. Food took an hour to come out. The fried Chicken is served on a wood cutting board, looks good but how unsanitary. Our sodas where flat and the noise level, I can't even tell you how loud this place is!! Come for a drink not food!Special Features:
- RandyRandyDined on 9/27/2014First time there and we had a fantastic experinece overall on the patio. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great First VisitHappyCoupleDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I went to The Bayou on a busy Saturday night. Started with cornbread appetizer, "New Fashioned" and "Blue Bayou" for cocktails. My wife had the crispy fried chicken, with bread & butter pickle slices and substituted collard greens for the starch. I had the shrimp and grits and a side of collards. Seasonings were perfectly balanced, food was flavorful and cooked just right. The collard greens were simply fabulous - no small praise from a southern boy. The apple cider donuts dessert special was equally impressive. Service was excellent on a busy night and wait staff was very friendly. it was a tad loud, but fit the fun and relaxed atmosphere well. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Southern Food!RomandogsDined on 9/27/2014I lived in Virginia for 5 years and have not had food like this since I was there. We had a table of 4 so tried several things and I highly recommend them all. Fried chicken, fried catfish, mac & cheese, collard greens, hush puppies, cornbread, pulled pork....it was all amazing. I also highly recommend their Blue Bayou specialty drink...yummy. This is the best food we have had in a LONG time. I highly recommend this restaurant. You can't beat it for down home Southern comfort food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisey not great for childrenFoodieDined on 9/27/2014There is no children's menu so come prepared. The noise level is very high and hard to talk over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level awful, food very goodOccasionalDinerDined on 9/26/2014Don't take anyone interesting to this restaurant. It was nearly impossible to carry on a conversation over our meal with the unbelievable noise level inside. Try to get an outdoor seating if you like your companion. The gumbo was outstanding. the hush puppies were dry, my companion's catfish was very good but very small portion for $17. We decided that we would return to try the sandwiches one day but only if we could sit outside. The live music was nice but when they took a break, we realized that the noise level was caused by the patrons of the bar trying to communicate with one another. Our waitress was reasonably attentive. I so wanted to like this place and make it a regular place to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent !AliceDined on 9/25/2014The gumbo was fantastic. Mac & cheese delicious. All in all a wonderful meal. Our server was also tops.Special Features:
- South flare with a down atmosphereRenaissancemanDined on 9/23/2014Bayou, is a great little restaurant. The food is really good, with a distinct southern flair. The gumbo rivals downtown NO. The fried chicken is also great, super crisp and not greasy. The atmosphere is loud an vibrant, not a place for a quiet evening out, but fun. Our server was awesome, very attentive, and the place was packed. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Food, Vibrant ScenejmackDined on 9/22/2014I've been to The Bayou twice so far and I have yet to be disappointed - the food, the service, the atmosphere are all top-notch! I would HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone looking for high quality comfort food and a fantastic drink.Special Features:
- Satisfiedanonymous1Dined on 9/21/2014I appreciate anything different in the lehigh valley but i think the meat portions are to small for the price. Specifically the fried chicken to serve a half a breast is an insult serve a whole breast with three additional pieces. $17 qualifies for 4 whole pieces of chicken at the least.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014Everything was excellent. Had lunch so and the place was empty would love to see how the night life is on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Glad we were able to dine at The Bayou this past weekend. The cocktails were delicious and priced very fairly. Beer list was amazing! As it was our first time we ordered waaay too much food, but that just meant yummy leftovers. I was slightly disappointed in the signature Ty's Mac n' Cheese. It lacked flavor, despite the ham hock and such. I definitely wouldn't order that again. But the other dishes were great, and we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service but noisyJohnDined on 9/20/2014Our first visit was enjoyable but the acoustics weren't good. If a loud room doesn't bother you will enjoy the meal. They need to expand the menu in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sem5Dined on 9/20/2014We celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary dinner at "The Bayou" It was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableMarjeffDined on 9/19/2014We went to The Bayou with 6 friends and we all enjoyed the food immensely. Particularly the small plates of fried cat fish and mac and cheese along with the fried chicken, corn bread, and gumbo. We will revisit for sure.Special Features:
- interesting twist on old familiarmkmkmkDined on 9/19/2014good food, interesting menu, too loud and lacking in ambiance, did not fill water glasses consistently.Special Features:
- Love This PlaceBethlehemGirl1966Dined on 9/19/2014I've been here a few times...loved everything I've tried so far. The specialty drinks are awesome! I like the atmosphere, the staff is friendly and efficient. Definitely make reservations for evening hours, it gets packed! I haven't been there yet when they have entertainment, but want to check it out sometime. One of my favorite places to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PnC13Dined on 9/18/2014Pros: great mac & cheese; good service once tabled. Cons: delicious flank steak, but a no longer warm when it arrived. very loud. 1/2 hour wait despite reservations.Special Features:
- More please!partnerfoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014Great new place but tough to talk above the noise. Love the fresh pickles that enliven many of the entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2foodiesfromnazDined on 9/16/2014great menu, these guys can really cook! your gumbo is one of thbe best i've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BayouOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Place is very nice, food excellent but was too noisey. Felt like had to shout to speak...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not the same old same oldipbchlvrDined on 9/14/2014the food was really good and it was refreshing to see a menu that was not the same old, same old the drinks were good also but were overpriced as was the coffee we will go again for sure but will not be ordering drinks it has only been open 7 months and some kinks still need to be worked out such as all appetizers arriving at once as well as all mealsSpecial Features:
- Amazing spotdenise20077Dined on 9/13/2014I was visiting my best friend and she recommended we have dinner at The Bayou. I am from MD and she is from Bethlehem and neither of us have been to this restaurant before. We were wowed by the decor, service and food. We both tried two of the signature cocktails on the menu, they were amazing and very unique. We split two starters and the buttermilk fried chicken entree and were left feeling very satisfied. It was a great dinner night out!Special Features:
- Overall Very Good ExperienceSM324Dined on 9/13/2014The food was fantastic - we had the macaroni and cheese, spice dusted hangar steak, bbq shrimp and grits and the beignets for dessert. Also indulged in the new fashioned and apple barrel cocktails and were impressed by everything! It is a bit loud and with the semi-open kitchen concept it can get a little smokey from the smoke in the kitchen travelling out into the dining area. Service was longer than a typical wait but we had heard that before going and expected it -- for two people ordering what was listed above it took about an hour and 40 minutes at peak time on a Saturday. Overall very good experience and definitely a unique dining experience in the Lehigh Valley/Bethlehem area.Special Features:
- Will be backWillbebackDined on 9/13/2014The Bayou is a Go back to kind of place, I will go back and try some of the other selections on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern charm!AmatoDined on 9/13/2014Food was outstanding, waitstaff very friendly and the atmosphere was perfect! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 2nd visit to The Bayou-averageNikkiDined on 9/13/2014Our first time to the Bayou was about a month ago. Went for a late dinner and overall experience was excellent! Had family come in from out of town and wanted to share this new restaurant the LV had to offer. Some items were still as enjoyable as the first visit, the Jalapeno Grits, the Fried Chicken, Mac & Cheese and Salad were awesome. This time the Cornbread was a bit dry, the Catfish had an extremely fishy taste, oyster sandwich was cold. Overall was still a good experience but not as over the top as I had raved about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBeignet1Dined on 9/13/2014I am so glad to have the Bayou in the Lehigh Valley. My friend and I travel south every year and enjoy the foods from KY, TN, GA, and NOLA. It is so wonderful to southern food done well locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014At first I was a little worrisome that we were being seated three tables away from a loud (although great) band. Thankfully, for the sake of our ears, they were packing up for the evening. Even though, the dining area was packed with close tables, I felt like my husband and I were on our own little island. The food was fantastic - I loved the small plates! Our server tended to our every request with a smile. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Delicious food and drinkssomeotherbettyDined on 9/12/2014I've been to the Bayou several times and am always impressed with my meals. This time I had the fried chicken sandwich which was perfection. The beer list is excellent and the cocktails are unique and tasty. I ordered the New Fashioned which was a nice twist on my favorite Old Fashioned. The service is a bit slow, but it's a Southern themed restaurant so I think that makes sense. It's not a complaint that it's slow service as I always go in wanting to spend a long time there, I just wanted to let others know to put the time aside to truly enjoy everything that The Bayou has to offer. The staff is very friendly and I've enjoyed every trip I've made there. I'll certainly be back.Special Features:
- AnniversaryExperienceDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary. We heard great things about the Bayou and would definitely go back again, we enjoyed everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillPADined on 9/11/2014Too loud, won't go back, but food and service we're fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience everytimeCbennzDined on 9/10/2014We visit the bayou approx once a month and every time we go, it's an amazing experience. Food is great, service is great. Love this new place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bayou is a Must Visit!LadyKayDined on 9/10/2014The service, ambiance and food at The Bayou are all top-notch. The upscale southern cuisine is prepared impeccably and served piping hot. The drinks are innovative and delicious. The menu has just the right amount of choices and the items can easily be paired or shared. I am raving about The Bayou to everyone and plan to visit again soon!Special Features:
- Friendly Flavorful Fab!StewieTyquanDined on 9/9/2014The Bayou has become one of my favorite restaurants! Not only is the food fabulous, but from the owner to the staff, it was a warm welcoming group. The menu has something for everyone, including kids! I love a place that I can fill up on appetizers and or a full dinner. If you haven't experienced the Bayou, you MUST head there on your next venture out!Special Features:
- awesomebearDined on 9/7/2014It was our first time there and it was great. waitress was very nice and attentive to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual foodNo1FoodieDined on 9/7/2014This place is great for a unique menu for southern Louisiana style cuisine. Large plates give you food for 2. So be careful. The appetizers are sides so order all together and eat family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never a bad mealfoodnutDined on 9/6/2014I've been here a few times and have never had a bad meal. The staff and owners are all great. My only complaint is he noise level. There is nothing to absorb sound in there so it does get very loud when it is crowded. It certainly doesn't take away from the experience though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Great food! Great Service! Definitely go back. Owners very nice and involved. It was great to see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & CourtyardSandyDined on 9/6/2014Excellent presentation and ingredient quality for all food and beverages. Inside dining is tight and loud. There is a second floor, I'm not sure if they open it up for dinner or only special occasions. Outside patio is lovely and allows one to truly enjoy their meal.Special Features: