702 Hawthorne Rd
Bethlehem, PA 18018Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dat-bayou.com/
- Phone: 6104196669
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Baxter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature Live Music every Friday night from 10pm-1am. Showcasing the areas best Blues, Jazz & Acoustic Musicians. Our kitchen closes at 11pm on Fridays so get in early for a bite and enjoy!
A word from The Bayou
The Bayou: Southern Kitchen & Bar is a small local restaurant that offers a creative take on classic New Orleans cooking. The menu is meant to be a shared experience, like eating at the home of a good friend. Pick and choose a mixture of items to satisfy your different tastes and share them amongst the table. Pair your meal with a perfectly mixed cocktail or one of our 24 craft beers. Sit back and savor your meal, and enjoy the music. There's never a need to rush when you're at The Bayou. And don't forget to say hi to Mo & Cristian, the two are always around, and couldn't be happier to welcome you to their southern kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Bayou - Best Restaurants in Bethlehem ›
The Bayou reviews from OpenTable diners
308 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (205)neighborhood gem (192)hot spot (146)vibrant bar scene (119)great for outdoor dining (110)good for groups (93)special occasion (80)great for lunch (70)late-night find (59)romantic (42)great for brunch (18)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (12)scenic view (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Amazing food!! Will be back again soon, and would recommend to all my friends and family! 1 or 2 more servers could be beneficial. But overall delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fried Chicken!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014I have been here twice and each time the food and service has been very good. The menu is diverse but limited so I would not go here every week. I would, however, like to make it here at least monthly going forward. This is a fabulous addition to the Lehigh Valley!!Special Features:
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/21/2014Food was outstanding Service was outstanding The over all vibes were outstanding! The back patio is set up beautifly and we will absolutely be back! This is a wonderful place for a date night :):)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing absolutely delicious !!Carrie1120Dined on 10/18/2014Loved it will definitley return again and again !!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food!HeatherDined on 10/18/2014I had been hearing about the Bayou for weeks from friends, so I had to check it out. I was not disappointed. We had flash fried black-eyed peas for an appetizer-Amazing!!!! The buttermilk fried chicken was seasoned well and very juicy. My husband had the BBQ shrimp and grits, cheesy and spicy!! Overall, a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodChrissyDined on 10/18/2014I hate when other customers on these things write small portions... but I have been here twice and each time wasn't full and spent a lot of money. I will say the food taste great and I have never had a meal I didn't like. Beer list is good and not bad on the mixed drinks. Normal pricing on those items. Its very small inside, it gets a bit crowded by the bar and the noise can get loud. I will be back though and would recommend it to anyone for good southern food.Special Features:
- Excellent foodLisaVIPDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed our second meal at The Bayou. We brought some foodie friends who were just ecstatic about the food.Special Features:
- Nice place, good foodAnonymousDined on 10/18/2014Had the Po Boy Brisket sandwich, was pretty good. My wife had the smoked pork ribs and mac and cheese, and loved both. I have to admit the mac and cheese was pretty awesome. Good ambiance, great service, I'd probably go back again.Special Features:
- People should eat and not be heardBrianDined on 10/17/2014Amazing food, great atmosphere and wonderful service - just difficult to hear your dinner companion(s).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would highly recommend the BayouSunshineDined on 10/17/2014This was our third visit, and once again the food, appetizers, and mixed drinks were outstanding! It's a bit noisy inside, but that is quickly forgotten, and not a deterrent to wanting to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, cool atmosphere, unique menudoogiefromEmmausDined on 10/17/2014This was our first visit and we loved The Bayou. Great menu with unusual fare ( at least for the Lehigh Valley). Our waitress was friendly and provided great service. Our food did not take long to arrive even though the restaurant was packed. Our party of four all tried different entrees and were completely satisfied with the quality and portions. We'll be back and hope to be seated on the attractive rear patio come springtime! entreeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic nightCSMbdayDined on 10/17/20143 for a smalk birthday dinner for 2 of us. Actually have very ample free parking. Greeted pleasantly. Didn't wait long for our table. Great beer and cocktails. Dragon's Milk on draft - yes please. Apps were great - mac n cheese and hush puppies. Dinners did not disappoint - burger with pulled pork, fried chicken rocked. The BEP's popcorn style were very tasty. Then desserts - we were so full (and we were taking leftovers) but we ordered and ate them anyway and they were yummo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFoodi3Dined on 10/17/2014A wonderfully different menu, attentive service and so good you need reservations for this neighborhood winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!SavvyMommaVIPDined on 10/17/2014DH & I enjoyed a nice glass of riesling and very tasty food! Decor's very cool. I love how the menu is divided into "snacks", "small plates" and "large plates", which allows you to create your own entree with a meat and veggie/side. Prices are reasonable, and the food quality is good. They source local and organic foods. Staff was friendly and helpful. My only request is that they have an allergy menu available. I am allergic to milk, and called ahead to find out what I could eat off the menu. I was misinformed that the gumbo had a dairy-free roux...only to be very disappointed that the menu was very limited for me. However, my server worked hard to consult with the chef and present my options. I enjoyed what I was able to eat.Special Features:
- Loved the BayoujojoluluDined on 10/17/2014Suggested by a co-worker, my husband and I went for dinner. The food was excellent and the service was great! Loved the chicken and ribs!!! The next day we took our 17 year old daughter for lunch and she loved the food also.Special Features:
- WarmvkwgreenDined on 10/17/2014Warm, caring owners and workers. Good food, good drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatEatMeatVIPDined on 10/15/2014Had a business friend in from Phoenix and wanted to show him some different food this trip. Annie and Mary did not disappoint and we had a great meal. Keep up the good work. Will recomend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lived up to recommendationOccasionaldinerDined on 10/15/2014Went for our anniversary on the recommendation of a friend & the food was excellent. Service was very good too & enjoyed the ambiance. Off the beaten path but not difficult to find & well worth it. Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing! And from a Cajun!PAcajunDined on 10/15/2014Fair warning: although I am not a ' foodie' I am a girl born and raised in NOLA and I have some pretty high standards for any food that dares to call itself Southern. Sadly, so many feel that the spice ratio has to be outrageous and they can say " It's cajun" or "Creole" or whatever. THIS IS NOT THE CASE AT THE Bayou...they GOT IT! An incredible blend of amazing spices made for a lunch that made this Cajun smile! Have the flash fried BEP's....not the healthiest choice but oh so good! My shrimp po-boy had lightly breaded shrimp (and almost enough of them...but I'm used to typical NOLA po-boys) and a great flavor. My companions meals were all amazing as well (pulled pork, burger WITH pulled pork on top and charred shrimp).I'll be back.Special Features:
- Now my go-to spotEatMeatVIPDined on 10/14/2014Was looking for a place to have a later evening drink. The drinks were great and the service was too. Did not eat but love the menu.Special Features:
- SKYSDined on 10/14/2014The outside patio is the secret gem.....noise level can be difficult inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, Different, Laid-BackGoblinGirlDined on 10/14/2014We've been to Bayou twice and were happy with our selections both times. The first time, we ordered the entree-size plates but for our second meal we ordered up a variety of snacks and small plates - I think that's the way to go here. It's loud but there is a quieter spot off to the side - a good choice if like us you are trending toward oldster over hipster. The menu is smallish but the output is consistently good. The server checked in frequently and any requests were seen to immediately. Try the flash-fried black eyed peas, the ribs, the charred shrimp...and do not neglect the cornbread.Special Features:
- Great find!foodrulesDined on 10/14/2014We had a wonderful time at Bayou! The food is wonderful - as good or better than we had in New Orleans. The staff are friendly and attentive. Do yourself a favor and don't skip the coffee. I am still dreaming about it 2 days later and I am usually a tea drinker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the ValleyAJB1Dined on 10/12/2014I had the best dinner at the Bayou that I have had in the Lehigh Valley in a long, long time. All aspects were simply great but the food was GREAT. I already have recommended this restaurant to several friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedEatMeatVIPDined on 10/12/2014I have been reading about this restaurant for some time and have tried to get a reservation on a weekend night - and was unsuccessful. We were out on a Harley ride on Sunday afternoon and decided to try it. We were able to get a reservation and sit at the bar. What a pleasant surprise. My girlfriend ordered a apple drink with moonshine - she loved it despite my warnings .... she had three. We had the ribs, the brisket po-boy and of course the beignets were fabulous. The only suggestion I would have is to try a muffuletta sandwich - that would round out the NOLA experience. The service was very friendly and the bar was hopping on a Sunday afternoon. She especially liked the high end decorations. We will return.Special Features:
- Fabulous foodbroccolirobDined on 10/11/2014We tried a variety of choices from the menu. Flash fried B.E.P. were crazy good, never saw anything like it before. Best GUMBO ever. Collard greens prepared unlike anyone else. One the moistest fried chicken we've ever tasted. Pork Belly was a nice treat. Love the spin that the chef puts on southern dishes. Enough about the food, the service was very good. Wait times were a little long at times, but it was a very busy night. Staff is very friendly, even got to meet one of the owners. Will definitely return again and again. Oh, don't forget to leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find......PaulVIPDined on 10/11/2014We don't leave feedback frequently, but this amazing gem in Bethlehem deserves a break from the norm. The food was fantastic, the bar scene phenomenal (great bartenders that are extremely knowledgeable) and the service was beyond fantastic. We fully enjpyed our evening away from the kids and will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Love it!TGunnDined on 10/11/2014This place has great food and great drinks! Can't find food like it anywhere else in this area. Prices are great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!BethlehemGirlDined on 10/11/2014The food was fantastic -- from the appetizers, to the entrees, to dessert. The prices were incredibly reasonable for the quality of the food we received. It looked and tasted like a high-end meal. The service was very good too. The one negative is the noise level. We felt like we were shouting during a fairly early dinner on a Saturday night. I didn't mind too much, but I definitely wouldn't call it the ideal spot for a romantic date where you're hoping for quiet conversation. If you're just looking for great food, you definitely don't want to miss The Bayou. We can't wait to visit again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food was delicious and the service wonderful. Thank you.Special Features:
- Excellent addition to the areaBrammers13Dined on 10/8/2014We went to the The Bayou for my husband's birthday; first time there. We thoroughly enjoyed everything. The food is outstanding!Special Features:
- Great new Bethlehem spot!KatelynDined on 10/8/2014We had dinner there two nights ago; the menu is so interesting, with so many great options and the seasonal draft beer list rules. The food came out quick, the gumbo was amazing - there is so much more to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit, still tastyjmanickDined on 10/5/2014All three of us enjoyed our meal. My fav this visit was the curried cauliflower appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faux Southern College Barscubamom59Dined on 10/5/2014If you want fake Southern food with college students, this is your place. Noisy, lazy ( till they realize how annoyed you are). This is not a place for real Southern food. Everything was overly salty to make you drink more. My advice to the chef would be to take a trip down South. Just spend a while in NOLA and the worst food I had there was better than your food.Special Features:
- High expectations-didn't disappointlooksforgoodfoodDined on 10/4/2014I had heard a few people say they enjoyed their experience and I had been looking forward to trying this restaurant. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our time and were not disappointed one bit. We were able to have a drink at the bar while we waited for our table. The drink selections were fun and the beer was very good. Next time we are going with a group as there were so many choices and this restaurant would be a good place to order the food and share!Special Features:
- foodjunkieDined on 10/3/2014It was a fabulous place to eat! Great draft selections as well. We will definitely be going back! Our server, Mary, was terrific!!Special Features:
- Great experience!H2oreviewsDined on 10/3/2014Great food, entertainment and service. Will return with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but noisypartnerfoodieVIPDined on 10/2/2014Food and service continue to improve. Fried chicken yum! Do not order carrot/arugula salad..too ordinary compared to rest of menu choices. And owners need to work on noise control...too hard to have a conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in the Valley. Love It!MkClarkE11Dined on 10/1/2014Always the best dining experience in the Valley. Amazing food and drink. Will be back oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little noisyRobertDined on 10/1/2014Good food & service, fair prices but noise is a little much.Special Features: