The Bauer Kitchen
187 King St.
Waterloo, ON N2J 1R1Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Bauer Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcoalgroup.ca/main8.cfm
- Phone: 5197720790x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Saturday: 2:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Hodgson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Bauer Bakery Cafe offers a delectable selection of gourmet trays, fresh salads and scrumptious desserts for your next event! Pickup and delivery available (Delivery requires a $250 minimum order, with a $25 delivery fee).
- Special Events: The Bauer Kitchen has 1 private room & 1 semi-private room that take advantage of the industrial aspects while providing a warm and approachable atmosphere for any group dining occasion. Contact Stephanie Lawrence for private dining inquiries: email@example.com or 519-894-0110 x 0.
- Cross Street: Allen St.
- Public Transit: On the main 7 line heading to Conestoga Mall.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is plentiful! Stay warm and dry in our underground parking facility. Visit our website for a parking map: www.charcoalgroup.ca
For restaurant location, click on the map link under our picture on the left of your screen.
A word from The Bauer Kitchen
The Bauer Kitchen is an energetic up-market 'bistro' set in a SoHo inspired, restored felt factory. The industrial steel, concrete floors, reclaimed wood and custom lighting combine to create a uniquely warm backdrop for your dining experience. Our Executive Chef Michael Hodgson has assembled a spectacular menu of classic items prepared with the freshest local ingredients. An extensive ‘wine by the glass’ menu has been created by our sommelier to pair perfectly with each menu item.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Bauer Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waterloo ›
The Bauer Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)good for groups (87)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (77)notable wine list (60)great for lunch (49)romantic (44)hot spot (43)great for outdoor dining (39)late-night find (22)vibrant bar scene (20)kid-friendly (19)great for brunch (19)scenic view (5)Show More
- High hopes - dashedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Had heard great things so my wife and I decided to try it. The Oktoberfest menu was sad - prefab zwiebelkuchen and terrible goulash - disappointed (badly trimmed beef and cornstarch heavy gravy). With a glass of wine and a beer it was $90.00 and not worth nearly that figure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Food and service was great , it was a relaxed atmosphere where we did not feel rushed at all.Special Features:
- Enjoyable!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent server and service. Good menu. Nice ambience and ability to eat on the patio in suitable weather.Special Features:
- Birthday Lunch50somethingdaughterDined on 10/15/2014A truly enjoyable birthday lunch for my mother by all four of us! This was our first time here and it won't be our last! Not somewhere where you would go for lunch on a regular basis (due to price), but most definitely hits the mark for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014The place and food are perfect for our family thanksgiving dinner !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, wonderful foodAzuraeDined on 10/10/2014The thing that really stood out during my visit was the service -- our server was incredibly friendly and efficient! The food was great and there was a large selection, easy to find something for everyone. The wine selection was also wonderful, and we found a new favourite. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good overallluv2dineDined on 10/1/2014have heard of this restaurant for some time now - have been wanting to try out - w went there for our anniversary - had requested a quieter spot and we were seated in the corner booth - very cozy. Ambiance was great and I was impressed by the nice variance in food options - from basic (but very tasty) steaks to more elegant dishes - nice selection for a small group that has different appreciations for food. Very happy with the wine list - excellent election of affordable wines that lets you experiment while not remortgaging the house. Definitely added to our list of must go places - on of the regions top 5 in our viewSpecial Features:
- Good food choicesDEBBieDined on 9/30/2014We had the Octoberlicious special - really nice for a lunch. I had a client who had a short deadline and the waitress was extremely good at keeping the service on track.Special Features:
- AMAZINGFoodyDined on 9/29/2014Reserved through OpenTable. The Charcoal group of resturants always deliver's great service and this time was no expection. We were taken to the best seat(booth) in the resturant. Service was amazing and the new food menu items fantastic. I had the new menu item of smoked ham shank and ... I could go back again already to have it. The presentation and quality of food at TBK never disappoints. The staff and the manager when over and above for the special occassion. Overall wonderful experience.Special Features:
- You will go backDanielDined on 9/27/2014Great service, vibrant and modern ambience, and fantastic food! Whether you're a wine lover, foodie, burger fiend, or simply love a trendy, modern scene, The Bauer Kitchen is a place you will WANT to go back to time and time again!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceWaterloogemDined on 9/27/2014I had never been to Bauer Kitchen before but had heard a lot of great things about it, Bauer didn't disappoint. The food was amazing and you could tell it was freshly made and our waitress went over and above. A couple of small things though: the lighting in the bathroom was too dark and the menu we saw online was different then the one we had. The waitress did say that you just switched to the fall menu but online should reflect that as well. Overall though, great gem for Waterloo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for anniversariesocb27Dined on 9/27/2014Service was a little slow to start. Had a server then couldn't find them. Once we got a new server everything was great. Best steak I've ever had(tenderloin). Also they were nice enough to give us a desert and some champagne for our anniversary. Definitely will be back even though I live 3 hours away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitCarolineDined on 9/21/2014Visit this area annually and was looking for a new restaurant to try. Aware of CG restaurant quality and vibe so eagerly booked it. A little bit pricey but truly enjoyed the food. Our waiter Brenton was excellent and very diligent. He made recommendations that we tried and we felt genuinely cared for. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not as good as we expectedAnnetteVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food was good but not as good as we expected from the reviews we read. We also expected a more upscale environment. The restaurant is casual but comfortable.
- Not bad but not spectacularLadyLockeDined on 9/20/2014We dined here....the space is well done and we chose the bone marrow and calamari to start. The calamari was my favorite app as I found the bone marrow to not be quite cooked enough and much too rich. We both the had the Waygu burger which for $19 I expected to be much better. Over cooked, under seasoned and one note flavour profile- I found it all to be a little underwhelming. I do not mind paying $19 for a burger and a few sweet potato fries but I do expect that burger to be the best tasting thing and it just wasn't. I might consider going back at some point but it would not be the first place I would consider.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time!HazziesaFoodieDined on 9/19/2014I love the 'feel' of BK. It's hip. It's hot. It's a great overall vibe. I had requested a specific table; even called earlier the day of the reservation to be sure I got the correct table. However, when we arrived, it was not the table I had requested and/or wanted. Luckily the people at the table I wanted, were just leaving. BK was quick to move us right in to the correct table :) I was a bit surprised at the lack of service at the bar (whilst we waited for our table). In 10 mins, not 1 bartender asked us for our order?? This is not like my other experiences at BK, so I chalked it up to a one-off. Our appies and entreés were delish as usual. We closed the place down :) We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerkpopfoodieDined on 9/18/2014I had a wonderful time at the Bauer Kitchen, food was great, cocktails presented really nicely, great ambiance & fantastic service. Really made my birthday dinner special. Would definitely recommend to all my friends and would be a nice place to the parents for a special night.Special Features:
- Return VisitTheRefDined on 9/14/2014I have to say the second visit the food was outstanding. Had a small issue on the first visit and that was well taken care of by staff and especially the manager. Most places I have been to would not handle it as they did. Would recommend to anyone who enquired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014First time here food quality was ok service was extreamly slowSpecial Features:
- Anniversary TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014My husband and I were here for dinner for our anniversary and it was fantastic. We had been to the Bauer Kitchen once before for brunch and it was great but supper was amazing! The food was delicious from appetizers to dessert and the service and atmosphere was wonderful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Family GatheringChrisDined on 9/7/2014I chose this restaurant off UrbanSpoon, as I live in Toronto but needed a restaurant to host family from all over southern Ontario for my Grandmothers 91st birthday. We came on a Sunday night and the entire table was thrilled to hear the special was a Prime Rib dinner with all the fixings. Our server was fantastic, patient, lively, and flexible. The food was delicious! The portions were quite generous. The atmosphere and design of the space is gorgeous! They did up a little candle on Nana's desert. We had kids, adults and seniors and everyone was made comfortable. I hope to go back again when I'm in town. p.s. the bathroom soap smelled fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The food was great (although the pasta could have been a bit hotter); the service was excellent and overall very good.Special Features:
- Bauer Towers Above!SmackDined on 9/6/2014Had an amazing birthday celebration lunch at Bauer Kitchen this past week ... delicious! Quick service, great food very nicely presented, and an unexpected birthday treat with our coffees which put a nice cherry on top of our experience. Will definitely be back, and we're bringing our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniquehappydinerDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant is a fun place to eat paired with a varied menu of carefully prepared dishes made with quality ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experiencevititoDined on 8/30/2014Food was great and the staff was very pleasant, will definitely continue to go back. Took our one month daughter with us and the noise level in the restaurant was perfect, not pure silence but appropriate dinner ambiance, she didn't wake up once.Special Features:
- Lunch meeting spotWaterloodinerDined on 8/28/2014This restaurant is a great spot for a lunch meeting. The food is good and the service is very good. Be sure to ask for stable that is near a window - I find it is a little quieter. Great bar to meet for a drink after work too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak Tartarpenny2cpVIPDined on 8/27/2014I am so glad steak tartar is on the regular menu. They have specially made steak tartar twice for me a month ago and it was exceptional. Try the steak tartar from the menu tonight and it was equally as good.Special Features:
- Two great lunchesHarrogateDined on 8/27/2014I've eaten lunch at TBK twice a couple of weeks, and consider it a great discovery (I'm from out of town). The first time I was hosted by a friend from KW; the second time I brought a guest from out of town. On both occasions the service and food were excellent. Both waitresses were extremely friendly, attentive without being intrusive, and really well informed about the menu. At lunchtime the menu isn't hugely ambitious but the food is well-prepared, nicely presented, and extremely flavourful. There's a good selection of wines by the glass. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hit everytimeCalgary123Dined on 8/26/2014This restaurant consistently hits it out of the park with great food, a superb vibe, and conscientious staff. You can't go wrong at the Bauer KitchenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSparkyDined on 8/25/2014We have grown up with the Charcoal Steak House since we were young and it still rocks however The Bauer Kitchen, Wild Craft are overrated. Have been to these locations twice where we have been disappointed both times. The service was very good in both restaurants but both times we waited close to an hour for our food and it wasn't even busy. On Monday when the food arrived it was dry and tasteless (probably sat under the heat lamps for quite a while). The ceaser salad was the best thing we had. It was my daughters birthday and she felt hungry when we left. Sorry but don't think we will be back.
- Nice placeNoteapleaseDined on 8/25/2014I have always been at the Bauer Kitchen for lunch. This last time I had a late lunch and I sat at the patio. Only 2 other tables busy, therefore it was quiet. The waitress was exceptional. I had the steak with fries. The meat was "medium" as I had requested it. I found the fries too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!LauraDined on 8/24/2014My boyfriend and I went to the Bauer Kitchen for brunch Sunday morning and absolutely loved it! The food was great and the service was unlike anything we've experienced before! Will definitely be back for drinks and dinner!Special Features:
- GoodMikeDined on 8/23/2014Everything at the Bauer Kitchen was generally good. Service was great, atmosphere was nice, the experience was excellent. We had appetizers, mains(steak, chicken pasta dish) and desert. Food was decent but not great. It wasn't really good enough for us to go back and have the same meal. But I would go back to try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TBK Salad and Calamaripenny2cpVIPDined on 8/22/2014It was good as usual but the TBK Salad and Calamari were exceptionally good.Special Features:
- Pretty much best restaurantGixxer18Dined on 8/20/2014Compared to all it's competitors, Bauer kitchen is one of the best balanced food to noise to fast service to great atmosphere. This place rocks. My new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good For MeCandymanDined on 8/18/2014This was a birthday dinner for my son-in-law. Your restaurant was the request of my daughter, she has been there before. My wife had a salad and duck, the duck was just so so. TI choose the daily special which was the veal parmesan. To be honest, it was terrible. The sauce tasted like left over tomato sauce, noodles and mixture was absolutely tastlest and the veal blah. After a couple of mouthfuls, I had the waitress take my plate, I couldn't eat the food. She offered to bring something else and I said no thank you, my stomach was all ready turning upside down and having trouble keeping it down. Sorry but I will not be back.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnermaverick86Dined on 8/16/2014Great service! Server was very friendly. Service was fast and food was delicious and priced well for quality. Ambience was lovely for our little group. Will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bauer Kitchen: Wonderful!EatMoreGoodFoodDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful service, great bar!!! The food is always fantastic...one of my new favs.Special Features:
- AThistleDined on 8/16/2014The Bauer Kitchen is consistently one of my KW faves. The food is always top notch, and my dining companions really appreciate the gluten free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crtrVIPDined on 8/16/2014Service was impecable but food was blend and it took 30 minutes for the main courses when we ordered a pasta & pizza.Special Features: