The Bauer Kitchen
187 King St.
Waterloo, ON N2J 1R1Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Bauer Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcoalgroup.ca/main8.cfm
- Phone: 5197720790
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Saturday: 2:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Hodgson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Bauer Kitchen has 1 private room & 1 semi-private room that take advantage of the industrial aspects while providing a warm and approachable atmosphere for any group dining occaision.
- Private Party Contact: Jordan Hobbs 5197720790
- Special Events: The Bauer Kitchen has 1 private room & 1 semi-private room that take advantage of the industrial aspects while providing a warm and approachable atmosphere for any group dining occaision. Contact Jodan Hobbs for private dining inquiries: email@example.com or 519-772-0790.
- Cross Street: Allen St.
- Public Transit: On the main 7 line heading to Conestoga Mall.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is plentiful! Stay warm and dry in our underground parking facility. Visit our website for a parking map: www.charcoalgroup.ca For restaurant location, click on the map link under our picture on the left of your screen.
A word from The Bauer Kitchen
The Bauer Kitchen is an energetic up-market 'bistro' set in a SoHo inspired, restored felt factory. The industrial steel, concrete floors, reclaimed wood and custom lighting combine to create a uniquely warm backdrop for your dining experience. Our Executive Chef Michael Hodgson has assembled a spectacular menu of classic items prepared with the freshest local ingredients. An extensive ‘wine by the glass’ menu has been created by our sommelier to pair perfectly with each menu item.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
The Bauer Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waterloo ›
The Bauer Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)good for groups (75)fit for foodies (75)neighborhood gem (70)great for lunch (64)notable wine list (54)romantic (49)great for brunch (41)great for outdoor dining (37)hot spot (30)kid-friendly (23)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (16)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great Steak Tartarpenny2cpVIPDined on 8/27/2014I am so glad steak tartar is on the regular menu. They have specially made steak tartar twice for me a month ago and it was exceptional. Try the steak tartar from the menu tonight and it was equally as good.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014We have grown up with the Charcoal Steak House since we were young and it still rocks however The Bauer Kitchen, Wild Craft are overrated. Have been to these locations twice where we have been disappointed both times. The service was very good in both restaurants but both times we waited close to an hour for our food and it wasn't even busy. On Monday when the food arrived it was dry and tasteless (probably sat under the heat lamps for quite a while). The ceaser salad was the best thing we had. It was my daughters birthday and she felt hungry when we left. Sorry but don't think we will be back.
- Nice placeNoteapleaseDined on 8/25/2014I have always been at the Bauer Kitchen for lunch. This last time I had a late lunch and I sat at the patio. Only 2 other tables busy, therefore it was quiet. The waitress was exceptional. I had the steak with fries. The meat was "medium" as I had requested it. I found the fries too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014My boyfriend and I went to the Bauer Kitchen for brunch Sunday morning and absolutely loved it! The food was great and the service was unlike anything we've experienced before! Will definitely be back for drinks and dinner!Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Everything at the Bauer Kitchen was generally good. Service was great, atmosphere was nice, the experience was excellent. We had appetizers, mains(steak, chicken pasta dish) and desert. Food was decent but not great. It wasn't really good enough for us to go back and have the same meal. But I would go back to try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TBK Salad and Calamaripenny2cpVIPDined on 8/22/2014It was good as usual but the TBK Salad and Calamari were exceptionally good.Special Features:
- Pretty much best restaurantGixxer18Dined on 8/20/2014Compared to all it's competitors, Bauer kitchen is one of the best balanced food to noise to fast service to great atmosphere. This place rocks. My new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good For MeCandymanDined on 8/18/2014This was a birthday dinner for my son-in-law. Your restaurant was the request of my daughter, she has been there before. My wife had a salad and duck, the duck was just so so. TI choose the daily special which was the veal parmesan. To be honest, it was terrible. The sauce tasted like left over tomato sauce, noodles and mixture was absolutely tastlest and the veal blah. After a couple of mouthfuls, I had the waitress take my plate, I couldn't eat the food. She offered to bring something else and I said no thank you, my stomach was all ready turning upside down and having trouble keeping it down. Sorry but I will not be back.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnermaverick86Dined on 8/16/2014Great service! Server was very friendly. Service was fast and food was delicious and priced well for quality. Ambience was lovely for our little group. Will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bauer Kitchen: Wonderful!EatMoreGoodFoodDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful service, great bar!!! The food is always fantastic...one of my new favs.Special Features:
- AThistleDined on 8/16/2014The Bauer Kitchen is consistently one of my KW faves. The food is always top notch, and my dining companions really appreciate the gluten free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crtrVIPDined on 8/16/2014Service was impecable but food was blend and it took 30 minutes for the main courses when we ordered a pasta & pizza.Special Features:
- Great!JordyDined on 8/13/2014Went here on a first date. The service was good. The food was amazing! The ambience was great. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone who asks. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shepDined on 8/13/2014Overall very pleasant,waitress was helpful explaining the menu.would visit again.Special Features:
- Wilden11Dined on 8/12/2014Took my four daughters and wife to The Bauer Kitchen. The space has a cool vibe the service was good without being intrusive but most of all the six of us really enjoyed our meals. We will definitely be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- :)Luv2dineDined on 8/9/2014Very cool setting, with the dimmed lights and the unique decor. The French onion fondue was amazing ! We will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for lunchNoteapleaseDined on 8/6/2014The staff was very nice. I requested some little changes on my order and there was no problem at all to accommodate me. I have been there several times, alone and with a group and it was always very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014the service was very slow. it took forever to get our apps. then when we did get them one of them was cold . it even took longer to get our entres. my husbands was tastless and his mussels were full of sand.
- Excellent place for allRainmanDined on 7/29/2014The food here is top notch. It has a menu that you are sure to find quite enjoyable whether you are with a family or out on a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- geoffDined on 7/29/2014Excellent service, great food, quiet and private place to discuss businessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relative/sNoparkingluvDined on 7/29/2014Entertaining out of towers from a metropolitan centre; where do we dare to compare? Proud of our relatively small centre, TBK represents a step up from the roadhouse or chain establishments and therefore offers a comparative big, citified experience. No embarrassment here. So thank you management. However, embarrassed to find we are too much like a big city, on returning to the car. Ten minutes over 2 hour limit got us a parking ticket. Put a damper on the whole experience. Guess with all the new building, parking is premium (Thursdays & Fridays have always been so) and this will be the price of relaxed enjoyment of TBK and establishments in the area. Pity. May consider other options, in other areas of city in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterSpecialNightDined on 7/26/2014Our appetizers were great but our dinners were nothing special My husband orders blanco pizza and it was very bland. I ordered fish and chips. Fries were over cooked and fish was so gross, did not like batter at all. Never finished it. I put that it was our anniversary on reservation and nothing was mentioned. Should have just stuck with appetizers. Last time was much betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingminib0ssDined on 7/26/2014Great and attentive service. Romantic and sophisticated ambiance. Delicious flavours with a large selection of alcoholic beverages. Anyone who decides to go dine here will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- namasteDined on 7/25/2014Food was good, didn't wait long. Service could have been better but overall a great place. Decor was great. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Tartarpenny2cpVIPDined on 7/25/2014Master chef McCourt has done it again with another perfect steak tartar. The way it is going, I don't need to go to Toronto to find good steak tartar anymore. It is worth the 45 mins (one way) drive every week just to have this steak tartar.Special Features:
- A great experience (always)!wannabefoodieDined on 7/25/2014Pre-birthday celebration was thoroughly enjoyed with both the excellent service and food. I enjoyed the romaine salad, as well as a specialised pizza. Both items were superb! The waitress proceeded to compliment the meal with cake (knowing it was pre-birthday dinner). I will definitely return (and recommend)!Special Features:
- The Best Steak Tartarpenny2cpVIPDined on 7/18/2014Had the very best steak tartar in the past 3 years. Not just your run off the mill steak tartar. This one was presented on a wood board with multiple sides and a raw egg on top. It was a Perfect presentation and the interaction, combination I could made out was just icing on the cake. Not normally on the menu but hopefully they will consider adding it.Special Features:
- BlandWaterlooAlDined on 7/18/2014I had the Blackened chicken and found the overall dish bland and almost to the point of being under-cooked. I chose this restaurant for its location and belief it was a little more upscale. The service was fine for delivering the meals.
- excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Booked this for our 20th anniversary and they looked after us very well. Noted my request on the booking and had all "extra" details covered. Food and table spot were fantastic. Enjoyed the entire experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!DB00Dined on 7/13/2014Our group of 5 sat out on the patio on a beautiful, sunny Sunday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. Server was excellent and the food was very creative and exceptional quality. Would love to go back for dinner some evening because the interior looks like it would make for a great experience as well. Look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great local food!KerriDined on 7/7/2014We enjoyed every bite of our pasta and pork chop. The drinks are great, the service is great; we will be back for a 2 year anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShelleyDDined on 6/28/2014We love TBK. Food is consistently outstanding, and so is the service.Special Features:
- BlsmanDined on 6/28/2014Definitely will return. Excellent experience. Our party of six enjoyed our dinners.Special Features:
- ExcellentMRMRDined on 6/23/2014Very attentive wait staff. Drink service was good, food service was excellent. Food was excellent!! Overall this lived up to "Charcoal" standards, and was excellent. Would highly recommend this!!Special Features:
- AmazingDatenightDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food, great vibe, excellent service, great wine. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDisappointedDined on 6/17/2014Great food and service. Nice place for a group also!Special Features:
- Consistently Good Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014You can always count on good food and service at Bauer Kitchen. The Patio in the summer is great.Special Features:
- Amazing Father's Day RestaurantFoodie101Dined on 6/15/2014Very nice food presentation, and atmosphere (child friendly) also with a bar perfect for dad's watching the world cup. Great waitress and food tasted great. Definitely recommend this restaurant for those trying something new as well pretty affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the Bauer KitchenEatMoreGoodFoodDined on 6/15/2014Father's day was the reason we were there but it was all about mommy! The food was so delicious. My 4 year old had the kids french toast which cut like butter and she ate every bite, my husband enjoyed a large burger and sweet potato fries and I had the delicious short rib gnocchi. Every bite was flavored perfectly. Even the two year old's pizza was good. And the watermelon mojito...yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceHardworkeratmongoDined on 6/14/2014Food was very reasonably priced, so was our alcholic drink with fresh fruit. Out appetizer was brought to us, missing the bacon jam and it was replaced with bacon. Maybe because I'm young they thought they could pull one over on me, but I told my server and he went to find out the problem. Turns out they ran out of bacon jam and instead of asking me if it's ok they gave me strips of bacon... After that, our burger came very well done with soft (not crispy) sweet potatoe fries. Also out plates were extremely hot, such that the person servering out food had to use a cloth to carry it and warm me not to touch it. This could only mean that the plates were under the heat lamps for quite a while or microwaved... Anyways our server was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.