The Bauer Kitchen
187 King St.
Waterloo, ON N2J 1R1Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Bauer Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcoalgroup.ca/main8.cfm
- Phone: 5197720790x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Saturday: 2:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Hodgson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Bauer Bakery Cafe offers a delectable selection of gourmet trays, fresh salads and scrumptious desserts for your next event! Pickup and delivery available (Delivery requires a $250 minimum order, with a $25 delivery fee).
- Special Events: The Bauer Kitchen has 1 private room & 1 semi-private room that take advantage of the industrial aspects while providing a warm and approachable atmosphere for any group dining occasion. Contact Stephanie Lawrence for private dining inquiries: email@example.com or 519-894-0110 x 0.
- Cross Street: Allen St.
- Public Transit: On the main 7 line heading to Conestoga Mall.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is plentiful! Stay warm and dry in our underground parking facility. Visit our website for a parking map: www.charcoalgroup.ca
For restaurant location, click on the map link under our picture on the left of your screen.
A word from The Bauer Kitchen
The Bauer Kitchen is an energetic up-market 'bistro' set in a SoHo inspired, restored felt factory. The industrial steel, concrete floors, reclaimed wood and custom lighting combine to create a uniquely warm backdrop for your dining experience. Our Executive Chef Michael Hodgson has assembled a spectacular menu of classic items prepared with the freshest local ingredients. An extensive ‘wine by the glass’ menu has been created by our sommelier to pair perfectly with each menu item.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Bauer Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waterloo ›
The Bauer Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)special occasion (75)good for groups (73)neighborhood gem (70)great for lunch (55)notable wine list (51)romantic (41)great for outdoor dining (39)hot spot (30)great for brunch (29)kid-friendly (20)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (14)scenic view (6)Show More
- Return VisitTheRefDined on 9/14/2014I have to say the second visit the food was outstanding. Had a small issue on the first visit and that was well taken care of by staff and especially the manager. Most places I have been to would not handle it as they did. Would recommend to anyone who enquired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014First time here food quality was ok service was extreamly slowSpecial Features:
- Anniversary TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014My husband and I were here for dinner for our anniversary and it was fantastic. We had been to the Bauer Kitchen once before for brunch and it was great but supper was amazing! The food was delicious from appetizers to dessert and the service and atmosphere was wonderful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Family GatheringChrisDined on 9/7/2014I chose this restaurant off UrbanSpoon, as I live in Toronto but needed a restaurant to host family from all over southern Ontario for my Grandmothers 91st birthday. We came on a Sunday night and the entire table was thrilled to hear the special was a Prime Rib dinner with all the fixings. Our server was fantastic, patient, lively, and flexible. The food was delicious! The portions were quite generous. The atmosphere and design of the space is gorgeous! They did up a little candle on Nana's desert. We had kids, adults and seniors and everyone was made comfortable. I hope to go back again when I'm in town. p.s. the bathroom soap smelled fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The food was great (although the pasta could have been a bit hotter); the service was excellent and overall very good.Special Features:
- Bauer Towers Above!SmackDined on 9/6/2014Had an amazing birthday celebration lunch at Bauer Kitchen this past week ... delicious! Quick service, great food very nicely presented, and an unexpected birthday treat with our coffees which put a nice cherry on top of our experience. Will definitely be back, and we're bringing our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniquehappydinerDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant is a fun place to eat paired with a varied menu of carefully prepared dishes made with quality ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experiencevititoDined on 8/30/2014Food was great and the staff was very pleasant, will definitely continue to go back. Took our one month daughter with us and the noise level in the restaurant was perfect, not pure silence but appropriate dinner ambiance, she didn't wake up once.Special Features:
- Lunch meeting spotWaterloodinerDined on 8/28/2014This restaurant is a great spot for a lunch meeting. The food is good and the service is very good. Be sure to ask for stable that is near a window - I find it is a little quieter. Great bar to meet for a drink after work too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak Tartarpenny2cpVIPDined on 8/27/2014I am so glad steak tartar is on the regular menu. They have specially made steak tartar twice for me a month ago and it was exceptional. Try the steak tartar from the menu tonight and it was equally as good.Special Features:
- Two great lunchesHarrogateDined on 8/27/2014I've eaten lunch at TBK twice a couple of weeks, and consider it a great discovery (I'm from out of town). The first time I was hosted by a friend from KW; the second time I brought a guest from out of town. On both occasions the service and food were excellent. Both waitresses were extremely friendly, attentive without being intrusive, and really well informed about the menu. At lunchtime the menu isn't hugely ambitious but the food is well-prepared, nicely presented, and extremely flavourful. There's a good selection of wines by the glass. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSparkyDined on 8/25/2014We have grown up with the Charcoal Steak House since we were young and it still rocks however The Bauer Kitchen, Wild Craft are overrated. Have been to these locations twice where we have been disappointed both times. The service was very good in both restaurants but both times we waited close to an hour for our food and it wasn't even busy. On Monday when the food arrived it was dry and tasteless (probably sat under the heat lamps for quite a while). The ceaser salad was the best thing we had. It was my daughters birthday and she felt hungry when we left. Sorry but don't think we will be back.
- Nice placeNoteapleaseDined on 8/25/2014I have always been at the Bauer Kitchen for lunch. This last time I had a late lunch and I sat at the patio. Only 2 other tables busy, therefore it was quiet. The waitress was exceptional. I had the steak with fries. The meat was "medium" as I had requested it. I found the fries too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!LauraDined on 8/24/2014My boyfriend and I went to the Bauer Kitchen for brunch Sunday morning and absolutely loved it! The food was great and the service was unlike anything we've experienced before! Will definitely be back for drinks and dinner!Special Features:
- GoodMikeDined on 8/23/2014Everything at the Bauer Kitchen was generally good. Service was great, atmosphere was nice, the experience was excellent. We had appetizers, mains(steak, chicken pasta dish) and desert. Food was decent but not great. It wasn't really good enough for us to go back and have the same meal. But I would go back to try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TBK Salad and Calamaripenny2cpVIPDined on 8/22/2014It was good as usual but the TBK Salad and Calamari were exceptionally good.Special Features:
- Pretty much best restaurantGixxer18Dined on 8/20/2014Compared to all it's competitors, Bauer kitchen is one of the best balanced food to noise to fast service to great atmosphere. This place rocks. My new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Good For MeCandymanDined on 8/18/2014This was a birthday dinner for my son-in-law. Your restaurant was the request of my daughter, she has been there before. My wife had a salad and duck, the duck was just so so. TI choose the daily special which was the veal parmesan. To be honest, it was terrible. The sauce tasted like left over tomato sauce, noodles and mixture was absolutely tastlest and the veal blah. After a couple of mouthfuls, I had the waitress take my plate, I couldn't eat the food. She offered to bring something else and I said no thank you, my stomach was all ready turning upside down and having trouble keeping it down. Sorry but I will not be back.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnermaverick86Dined on 8/16/2014Great service! Server was very friendly. Service was fast and food was delicious and priced well for quality. Ambience was lovely for our little group. Will definitely return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bauer Kitchen: Wonderful!EatMoreGoodFoodDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful service, great bar!!! The food is always fantastic...one of my new favs.Special Features:
- AThistleDined on 8/16/2014The Bauer Kitchen is consistently one of my KW faves. The food is always top notch, and my dining companions really appreciate the gluten free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crtrVIPDined on 8/16/2014Service was impecable but food was blend and it took 30 minutes for the main courses when we ordered a pasta & pizza.Special Features:
- Great!JordyDined on 8/13/2014Went here on a first date. The service was good. The food was amazing! The ambience was great. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone who asks. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shepDined on 8/13/2014Overall very pleasant,waitress was helpful explaining the menu.would visit again.Special Features:
- Wilden11Dined on 8/12/2014Took my four daughters and wife to The Bauer Kitchen. The space has a cool vibe the service was good without being intrusive but most of all the six of us really enjoyed our meals. We will definitely be going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- :)Luv2dineDined on 8/9/2014Very cool setting, with the dimmed lights and the unique decor. The French onion fondue was amazing ! We will be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for lunchNoteapleaseDined on 8/6/2014The staff was very nice. I requested some little changes on my order and there was no problem at all to accommodate me. I have been there several times, alone and with a group and it was always very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014the service was very slow. it took forever to get our apps. then when we did get them one of them was cold . it even took longer to get our entres. my husbands was tastless and his mussels were full of sand.
- Excellent place for allRainmanDined on 7/29/2014The food here is top notch. It has a menu that you are sure to find quite enjoyable whether you are with a family or out on a romantic date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- geoffDined on 7/29/2014Excellent service, great food, quiet and private place to discuss businessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relative/sNoparkingluvDined on 7/29/2014Entertaining out of towers from a metropolitan centre; where do we dare to compare? Proud of our relatively small centre, TBK represents a step up from the roadhouse or chain establishments and therefore offers a comparative big, citified experience. No embarrassment here. So thank you management. However, embarrassed to find we are too much like a big city, on returning to the car. Ten minutes over 2 hour limit got us a parking ticket. Put a damper on the whole experience. Guess with all the new building, parking is premium (Thursdays & Fridays have always been so) and this will be the price of relaxed enjoyment of TBK and establishments in the area. Pity. May consider other options, in other areas of city in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterSpecialNightDined on 7/26/2014Our appetizers were great but our dinners were nothing special My husband orders blanco pizza and it was very bland. I ordered fish and chips. Fries were over cooked and fish was so gross, did not like batter at all. Never finished it. I put that it was our anniversary on reservation and nothing was mentioned. Should have just stuck with appetizers. Last time was much betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingminib0ssDined on 7/26/2014Great and attentive service. Romantic and sophisticated ambiance. Delicious flavours with a large selection of alcoholic beverages. Anyone who decides to go dine here will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- namasteDined on 7/25/2014Food was good, didn't wait long. Service could have been better but overall a great place. Decor was great. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Tartarpenny2cpVIPDined on 7/25/2014Master chef McCourt has done it again with another perfect steak tartar. The way it is going, I don't need to go to Toronto to find good steak tartar anymore. It is worth the 45 mins (one way) drive every week just to have this steak tartar.Special Features:
- A great experience (always)!wannabefoodieDined on 7/25/2014Pre-birthday celebration was thoroughly enjoyed with both the excellent service and food. I enjoyed the romaine salad, as well as a specialised pizza. Both items were superb! The waitress proceeded to compliment the meal with cake (knowing it was pre-birthday dinner). I will definitely return (and recommend)!Special Features:
- The Best Steak Tartarpenny2cpVIPDined on 7/18/2014Had the very best steak tartar in the past 3 years. Not just your run off the mill steak tartar. This one was presented on a wood board with multiple sides and a raw egg on top. It was a Perfect presentation and the interaction, combination I could made out was just icing on the cake. Not normally on the menu but hopefully they will consider adding it.Special Features:
- BlandWaterlooAlDined on 7/18/2014I had the Blackened chicken and found the overall dish bland and almost to the point of being under-cooked. I chose this restaurant for its location and belief it was a little more upscale. The service was fine for delivering the meals.
- excellent choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Booked this for our 20th anniversary and they looked after us very well. Noted my request on the booking and had all "extra" details covered. Food and table spot were fantastic. Enjoyed the entire experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!DB00Dined on 7/13/2014Our group of 5 sat out on the patio on a beautiful, sunny Sunday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. Server was excellent and the food was very creative and exceptional quality. Would love to go back for dinner some evening because the interior looks like it would make for a great experience as well. Look forward to going back.Special Features: