The Bauer Kitchen
187 King St.
Waterloo, ON N2J 1R1Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Bauer Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charcoalgroup.ca/main8.cfm
- Phone: (519) 772-0790
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Saturday: 2:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Hodgson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Bauer Bakery Cafe offers a delectable selection of gourmet trays, fresh salads and scrumptious desserts for your next event! Pickup and delivery available (Delivery requires a $250 minimum order, with a $25 delivery fee).
- Special Events: The Bauer Kitchen has 1 private room & 1 semi-private room that take advantage of the industrial aspects while providing a warm and approachable atmosphere for any group dining occasion. Contact Stephanie Lawrence for private dining inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-894-0110 x 0.
- Cross Street: Allen St.
- Public Transit: On the main 7 line heading to Conestoga Mall.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is plentiful! Stay warm and dry in our underground parking facility. Visit our website for a parking map: www.charcoalgroup.ca
For restaurant location, click on the map link under our picture on the left of your screen.
A word from The Bauer Kitchen
The Bauer Kitchen is an energetic up-market 'bistro' set in a SoHo inspired, restored felt factory. The industrial steel, concrete floors, reclaimed wood and custom lighting combine to create a uniquely warm backdrop for your dining experience. Our Executive Chef Michael Hodgson has assembled a spectacular menu of classic items prepared with the freshest local ingredients. An extensive ‘wine by the glass’ menu has been created by our sommelier to pair perfectly with each menu item.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Bauer Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Waterloo ›
The Bauer Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)good for groups (102)special occasion (96)neighborhood gem (80)notable wine list (70)hot spot (55)great for lunch (53)romantic (51)great for outdoor dining (32)late-night find (31)vibrant bar scene (23)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (4)Show More
- Dinner with friendsNoteapleaseDined on 11/23/2014I have been at the Bauer Kitchen several times for lunch, this was my first time for dinner. I have to say that I never had any complains about the food at lunch time but this time at dinner I was somewhat disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go again.AllyDined on 11/18/2014Bauer Kitchen was a very nice restaurant. Food was delivered quickly. The mussels were incredible, and also came in a good portion. Had a great wine selection, and drinks weren't too expensive. Will go again, very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant Experienceconsistent21Dined on 11/11/2014I attended the Bauer Kitchen with my wife and 18 year old daughter, who is a cook, and my 13 year old son. I had the Mediterranean Chicken, my wife had the Penne Chicken, my son had some sort of burger and my daughter had had the TBK salad with a bowl of mussels. The chicken was tasty wand moist, the Penne had a nice bite to it and the mussels were well made with a nice salty taste and good mouth feel. Service was pleasant with friendly greetings at the door with knowledgeable wait staff. Service was quick. The chilled bottle of water brought to the table was pleasant and kept interruptions to a minimum. We had the TBK sweet board for dessert which was a pleasant topper to the evening. I enjoyed the industrial theme. It was consistent throughout and kept the decor interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationsyumyuminthetumDined on 11/8/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday. In the reservation I requested a cozy booth and that is exactly what we got - could not have been more pleased with the booth that was tucked away near the washrooms - it was less busy and a little more intimate. The whole restaurant has amazing lighting and the decor is spectacular. We had the charcuterie board, mediterranean chicken, and rib roast - we enjoyed all three. The chicken was great but not sure if I would get it again - I would probably try something else. My boyfriend ADORED the rib roast. The charcuterie board was an interesting appetizer for the two of us and very filling. Our server was super attentive to the point that he brought us soda water for a small stain on bf's sleeve!Special Features:
- BRSDDined on 11/8/2014The Bauer Kitchen is consistent every time we come! Great food and awesome service! Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first experience!thehappyfoodieDined on 11/7/2014We have never been before and it was amazing. We opted for the steak dinner s and it was delicious. There are certainly more cheaper priced meals on the menu, for those who want to spend a little less. The atmosphere was as good as the food, and the server was great as well. It was a wonderful first experience overall, and we will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly staffbestdinnerDined on 11/7/2014My boyfriend and I had just gotten engaged and as soon as our server found out she surprised us with some champagne and wanted to hear all about it. It was very thoughtful of her. The food was amazing and atmosphere was perfect! Will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualpenny2cpVIPDined on 11/5/2014Had two friends came all the way from Mississauga for a visit and we went to TBK. Enjoyed everything from steak tartar, baja tacos and pull pork nacho to rib eye and smoke ham. Everything was excellent.Special Features:
- The best of the Steakhouse chainFoodieDined on 11/3/2014Very enjoyable experience; attentive and efficient service; really enjoyed the food; neighbourhood gem; in my assessment, the best of the Charcoal Steakhouse restaurants.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysPersDined on 11/2/2014We love going to Bauer kitchen because the service and food is always excellent. We were sat in a romantic corner spot with lots of privacy. Our waitress Ashley did a fantastic job. She was very friendly and prompt. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatShelleyDDined on 11/2/2014Our party of 4 all had the Prime Rib special. Our meals were outstanding, and the service from Heidi was also above and beyond! It is our favourite spot for dining out.
- Overall Good ExperienceiDs748Dined on 11/1/2014Overall the service at this establishment was excellent. Our waiter was very kind and courteous and quick. The menu is nice a simple and not too many options to choose from which is an excellent way to do menu's I believe. The food was fresh and quick.Special Features:
- Still a very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/30/2014We have had dinner a the bauer kitchen several times, it is still one of the best in the K-W area. Noise level has always been on the high side. One of the better wine lists in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat.LovemyfoodDined on 10/23/2014I always love going to the Bauer Kitchen. Prices are good. There is a nice mix of people. I have been many times and intend to return as often as possible. A big thank you to all the staff there.Special Features:
- High hopes - dashedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Had heard great things so my wife and I decided to try it. The Oktoberfest menu was sad - prefab zwiebelkuchen and terrible goulash - disappointed (badly trimmed beef and cornstarch heavy gravy). With a glass of wine and a beer it was $90.00 and not worth nearly that figure.Special Features:
- hnter2Dined on 10/18/2014Food and service was great , it was a relaxed atmosphere where we did not feel rushed at all.Special Features:
- Enjoyable!casperDined on 10/18/2014Excellent server and service. Good menu. Nice ambience and ability to eat on the patio in suitable weather.Special Features:
- Birthday Lunch50somethingdaughterDined on 10/15/2014A truly enjoyable birthday lunch for my mother by all four of us! This was our first time here and it won't be our last! Not somewhere where you would go for lunch on a regular basis (due to price), but most definitely hits the mark for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014The place and food are perfect for our family thanksgiving dinner !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, wonderful foodAzuraeDined on 10/10/2014The thing that really stood out during my visit was the service -- our server was incredibly friendly and efficient! The food was great and there was a large selection, easy to find something for everyone. The wine selection was also wonderful, and we found a new favourite. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good overallluv2dineDined on 10/1/2014have heard of this restaurant for some time now - have been wanting to try out - w went there for our anniversary - had requested a quieter spot and we were seated in the corner booth - very cozy. Ambiance was great and I was impressed by the nice variance in food options - from basic (but very tasty) steaks to more elegant dishes - nice selection for a small group that has different appreciations for food. Very happy with the wine list - excellent election of affordable wines that lets you experiment while not remortgaging the house. Definitely added to our list of must go places - on of the regions top 5 in our viewSpecial Features:
- Good food choicesDEBBieDined on 9/30/2014We had the Octoberlicious special - really nice for a lunch. I had a client who had a short deadline and the waitress was extremely good at keeping the service on track.Special Features:
- AMAZINGFoodyDined on 9/29/2014Reserved through OpenTable. The Charcoal group of resturants always deliver's great service and this time was no expection. We were taken to the best seat(booth) in the resturant. Service was amazing and the new food menu items fantastic. I had the new menu item of smoked ham shank and ... I could go back again already to have it. The presentation and quality of food at TBK never disappoints. The staff and the manager when over and above for the special occassion. Overall wonderful experience.Special Features:
- You will go backDanielDined on 9/27/2014Great service, vibrant and modern ambience, and fantastic food! Whether you're a wine lover, foodie, burger fiend, or simply love a trendy, modern scene, The Bauer Kitchen is a place you will WANT to go back to time and time again!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceWaterloogemDined on 9/27/2014I had never been to Bauer Kitchen before but had heard a lot of great things about it, Bauer didn't disappoint. The food was amazing and you could tell it was freshly made and our waitress went over and above. A couple of small things though: the lighting in the bathroom was too dark and the menu we saw online was different then the one we had. The waitress did say that you just switched to the fall menu but online should reflect that as well. Overall though, great gem for Waterloo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for anniversariesocb27Dined on 9/27/2014Service was a little slow to start. Had a server then couldn't find them. Once we got a new server everything was great. Best steak I've ever had(tenderloin). Also they were nice enough to give us a desert and some champagne for our anniversary. Definitely will be back even though I live 3 hours away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitCarolineDined on 9/21/2014Visit this area annually and was looking for a new restaurant to try. Aware of CG restaurant quality and vibe so eagerly booked it. A little bit pricey but truly enjoyed the food. Our waiter Brenton was excellent and very diligent. He made recommendations that we tried and we felt genuinely cared for. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not as good as we expectedAnnetteVIPDined on 9/21/2014The food was good but not as good as we expected from the reviews we read. We also expected a more upscale environment. The restaurant is casual but comfortable.
- Not bad but not spectacularLadyLockeDined on 9/20/2014We dined here....the space is well done and we chose the bone marrow and calamari to start. The calamari was my favorite app as I found the bone marrow to not be quite cooked enough and much too rich. We both the had the Waygu burger which for $19 I expected to be much better. Over cooked, under seasoned and one note flavour profile- I found it all to be a little underwhelming. I do not mind paying $19 for a burger and a few sweet potato fries but I do expect that burger to be the best tasting thing and it just wasn't. I might consider going back at some point but it would not be the first place I would consider.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time!HazziesaFoodieDined on 9/19/2014I love the 'feel' of BK. It's hip. It's hot. It's a great overall vibe. I had requested a specific table; even called earlier the day of the reservation to be sure I got the correct table. However, when we arrived, it was not the table I had requested and/or wanted. Luckily the people at the table I wanted, were just leaving. BK was quick to move us right in to the correct table :) I was a bit surprised at the lack of service at the bar (whilst we waited for our table). In 10 mins, not 1 bartender asked us for our order?? This is not like my other experiences at BK, so I chalked it up to a one-off. Our appies and entreés were delish as usual. We closed the place down :) We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerkpopfoodieDined on 9/18/2014I had a wonderful time at the Bauer Kitchen, food was great, cocktails presented really nicely, great ambiance & fantastic service. Really made my birthday dinner special. Would definitely recommend to all my friends and would be a nice place to the parents for a special night.Special Features:
- Return VisitTheRefDined on 9/14/2014I have to say the second visit the food was outstanding. Had a small issue on the first visit and that was well taken care of by staff and especially the manager. Most places I have been to would not handle it as they did. Would recommend to anyone who enquired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014First time here food quality was ok service was extreamly slowSpecial Features:
- Anniversary TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014My husband and I were here for dinner for our anniversary and it was fantastic. We had been to the Bauer Kitchen once before for brunch and it was great but supper was amazing! The food was delicious from appetizers to dessert and the service and atmosphere was wonderful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Family GatheringChrisDined on 9/7/2014I chose this restaurant off UrbanSpoon, as I live in Toronto but needed a restaurant to host family from all over southern Ontario for my Grandmothers 91st birthday. We came on a Sunday night and the entire table was thrilled to hear the special was a Prime Rib dinner with all the fixings. Our server was fantastic, patient, lively, and flexible. The food was delicious! The portions were quite generous. The atmosphere and design of the space is gorgeous! They did up a little candle on Nana's desert. We had kids, adults and seniors and everyone was made comfortable. I hope to go back again when I'm in town. p.s. the bathroom soap smelled fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014The food was great (although the pasta could have been a bit hotter); the service was excellent and overall very good.Special Features:
- Bauer Towers Above!SmackDined on 9/6/2014Had an amazing birthday celebration lunch at Bauer Kitchen this past week ... delicious! Quick service, great food very nicely presented, and an unexpected birthday treat with our coffees which put a nice cherry on top of our experience. Will definitely be back, and we're bringing our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniquehappydinerDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant is a fun place to eat paired with a varied menu of carefully prepared dishes made with quality ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good experiencevititoDined on 8/30/2014Food was great and the staff was very pleasant, will definitely continue to go back. Took our one month daughter with us and the noise level in the restaurant was perfect, not pure silence but appropriate dinner ambiance, she didn't wake up once.Special Features:
- Lunch meeting spotWaterloodinerDined on 8/28/2014This restaurant is a great spot for a lunch meeting. The food is good and the service is very good. Be sure to ask for stable that is near a window - I find it is a little quieter. Great bar to meet for a drink after work too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.