14572 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thebasin.com/
- Phone: 4088671906
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Andrew Welch & Alejandro Perez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautiful private dining room is perfect for a quiet dinner for two, a power meeting, corporate event or celebration. Room seats up to 30 guests and is equipped with all your state of the art AV needs including DSL access, 100" flat projector screen and audio & data conferencing. Please call for pricing and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Terese Olague 4088671906
A word from The Basin
Fresh, delicious, and innovative American cuisine in a hip and comfortable setting. The Basin serves modern American fare utilizing farm-raised, hand picked fresh produce, international cheeses, and dry-aged meats. The wine list is as dynamic as it is diverse, including numerous selections from the Santa Cruz Mountains, rare French vintages and hard to find wines from around the globe. A full bar with over twenty signature martinis. In addition to the elegant main dining room, The Basin offers outdoor dining under a magnificent oak tree and a state of the art private dining room - the ideal setting for a business meeting, a presentation, or your next celebration! Dinner nightly from 5:00pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Basin - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
The Basin reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (75)special occasion (72)romantic (57)great for outdoor dining (55)notable wine list (43)vibrant bar scene (27)good for groups (27)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)Show More
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/17/2014We had dinner and it was our first time at Basin. We have finally found a local favorite! Food was great. Service was great too. We WILL return😀!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014The Pork and Clams were to die for. Service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Excellent experience. Seated Quickly. Attentive waiter and staff who know their food and can answer questions and make excellent recommendations.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceChadDined on 9/12/2014I love coming here! Great atmosphere, excellent staff, and the food is always excellent.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Saratoga!DebRVIPDined on 9/11/2014Love the Basin! Best food by far in Saratoga! Great service, great food and we always feel welcome!Special Features:
- ehhhh?dateniteheroDined on 9/6/2014This was supposed to be a romantic date but we were seated by the door, not given a wine list, they couldn't make one of our cocktails and didn't get the apps on the table for over 30 minutes. On the other hand, our waitress was very nice and the lavender pound cake was the stuff dreams are made of. I would give them another chance. Another bummer....a lack of diversity in the dining room. Looking around we saw white baby boomers and that's about it. I guess it's the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodFoodieforeverDined on 9/6/2014We like this place and frequent it often. I would recommend it!Special Features:
- Keeps Me Coming BackCindiemacDined on 9/5/2014I recently took my mother to the Basin for her 84th birthday. We sat at on the deck under the large oak and enjoyed the lovely late summer evening. The food was perfectly suited for all tastes. The fresh summer vegetables, heirloom tomatoes, corn, squash made the meal special. I especially enjoyed the seasonal melon salad for a starter. Mom was treated to a special dessert complete with candle to top the evening off. I think my mom left feeling like her birthday was a special treat and one we'd all like to repeat in the near future.Special Features:
- ExcellentBobDDined on 9/3/2014the food is top-notch, as good as any restaurant in the valley !Special Features:
- Always so good!ManhattanVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is always great, so many flavors and so fresh!Special Features:
- terrificpartyof4Dined on 8/26/2014The Basin has been successful for a few years now & still continues to strive for excellence. Took my wife for her birthday dinner with friends & the food was really terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysNeilVIPDined on 8/24/2014My favorite restaurant. Always great! Food, ambiance and service always fabulous.Special Features:
- The Basin is always a treatgoodstuffDined on 8/22/2014We always look forward to our dining experience at the Basin. Romantic, relaxing and the food is always outstanding. The house special crispy trout is one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Our experience was more than we expected. I little more attention by wait staff would have been nice. Your White Cloth Napkins leave lint on black material, so I asked for a Paper Napkin instead. I was given two bar napkins . Later when leaving I was told that there were Black Napkins available!! I will return for sure, as the food and drinks were excellent. Will request a Black Napkin if I need. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!teeteeDined on 8/15/2014i got a gift certificate from my boss for The Basin. i had never heard of it prior. my boyfriend and i decided to dress up and go out on a Friday night date. our reservation was at 5pm, they actually let us in early, after seeing us waiting outside. the host brought us to an outdoor area, under nice shade. the food was delicious! we started with the melon salad, suggested to us by our waitress, which was perfect! something i would have never thought to order on my own. my boyfriend got the salmon and i got chicken. we were both very happy with our meals. everything was great!Special Features:
- Excellent food, pricey, noisyClydesdaleDined on 8/14/2014I had the halibut, which was the fish of the day. It was absolutely delicious and actually flaky (seemed lightly fried, but I don't recall how the preparation was described, since the server told us and it wasn't on the printed menu) over a summer squash medley. My friend had the trout, which she said was excellent. Before pouring the full glass, the server gave us each a taste of the wines we had ordered by the glass, as would be done for a bottle. We appreciated that, since the wines are pricey. It would be helpful if all of the daily specials were also included on the printed menu, so that details could be better understood.Special Features:
- lefthungryDined on 8/9/2014Ordered prawns which cost $39 and received 4 half dollar sized prawns with 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes. Received bread with oil only for dipping. Left feeling hungry.
- Disappointing.AaEatDined on 8/9/2014Tried celebrating an anniversary here and they brought out my wife's trout raw - seared but uncooked - the waiter was seemingly embarrassed. This was not a preference issue but a food safety issue. While they remade my wife's dish for 15-20 minutes they did not offer to remove my meal or bring my wife an appetizer while she waited for the dish to be remade. We got to eat our meals staggered. No offer of a comp dessert or glass of wine for the mess up. Food was okay not great. This is not a cheap place and while mistakes happen it is how they are dealt with that makes all the difference.
- Dusty and staleBonappetiteVIPDined on 8/9/2014Sat in the backroom fly was buzzing around next to us the entire time as i looked around at the surfaces i could see this place needed a good cleaning. There was a layer if dust on everything windows were smudgy not impressed and go back.high prices dont equal good tasting food here...not fresh...disappointed.Special Features:
- ExceptionalphotogDined on 8/6/2014We had dinner and everything was exceptional. We will definitely be back when we return to Saratoga.Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysNeilVIPDined on 8/6/2014The best restaurant in Saratoga, Los Gatos and surrounding area.Special Features:
- Uneventful mealRevKittehDined on 8/1/2014We chose The Basin since we had eaten at the sister restaurant Casa De Cobre next door and enjoyed our meals there prior to taking in a concert at the Mtn. Winery. Wanted to try something different this time. Unfortunately we (party of 4) were rather disappointed in our meals. I had the wild mushroom rigatoni and it was way too salty and didn't have much flavor over all. I also tasted my brother's meal which was a pasta with a tomato base which was boring and bland. My husband ordered a seafood stew which was the better of the 3 kinds of meals we shared, but not anything to rave about. The service was very good, too bad the food didn't live up to either the service or the prices of our meals.
- I would totaly recommend thisFoodieforeverDined on 8/1/2014This is the perfect restaurant to go to especially before a Mt. Winery concert. We will do it again before the next one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ExperienceJMJMDined on 7/29/2014Service was hit and miss.....it started out great and then fell off. Had to pour wine ourselves when our glasses were low. Twice - dishes served to the wrong people at our table. And then completely forgot to cook one person's entrée that sat with us.Special Features:
- melsjDined on 7/28/2014We enjoyed the gruyere blanket so much, that we ordered a second one. We had a wonderful meal in the patio. Glad to see this restaurant only improves with age.Special Features:
- Great Food, Good Ambiencenorthn8Dined on 7/28/2014We went to the Basin for our Anniversary and enjoyed it very much. I had the tri-tip and my wife had a scallops and mashed potatoes dish. They were both good, but hers was better. Wine selection was decent. We liked the atmosphere in the restaurant and the bar looked nice although we did not sit at it. We would come back.Special Features:
- Okay but not special.ABayAreaFamilyDined on 7/27/2014The Basin is fine overall, but not special. Noise was a problem, and we gave up trying to have a conversation. The inside dining room has the bar area, which had a TV showing sports when we were there. Food was a mixed experience. Nothing from our experience stands out to recommend/return for. Paella was fine. They serve it in an interesting way, with the rice balled together in the center of the dish. Croquetas were really disappointing. Our server was fine, though he did spend quite a long time introducing the menu to us, volunteering in detail how several things were prepared. That would be fine, except when he was going on, describing in detail something we hadn't asked about and had no interest in. We do not expect to return.
- Great SpanishJohnInNaplesVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had Taste of Spain, a Spanish wine, and the trout among other things. We were impressed. There is seating outdoors in the back-much nicer than the main dining room as that is a little dark.Special Features:
- ExpertiseEatWellDined on 7/22/2014This restaurant has great training and consistency. Good wine recommendations to pair with food and nice fresh flavors. Go with small plates, you can't loose.Special Features:
- Basin was a great pre-concewrt mealpuddlesDined on 7/22/2014We have been there 3 times now, and each time the food was enjoyable, the drinks were first-rate, and the service was excellent! Would recommend this for a good quality dining experience. Not inexpensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- Saratoga GemCliffDined on 7/21/2014Great food, great service. My Duck was the envy of the table. I will be back!Special Features:
- fabulous food / service, but noisyJefraDined on 7/21/2014The noise level was the only downside of our otherwise fantastic dining experience. My Moscow Mule was perfect and a good size! The lightly cooked veggie salad was so savory. The house-cured salmon paired very well with the Brie. But it was a Monday and not that crowded....and yet not being able to hear each other was a drag. Service was so friendly, left us alone to enjoy our meal (which I like!), and everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mains were average, desserts goodAlexDined on 7/19/2014Dessert was the highlight of dinner, but everything else was pretty average.
- Basin is Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/16/2014Basin is reliably good food and wonderful dining experience. Service is wonderful and friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Pricy wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2014We liked our dinner here very much. The variety of entrees was excellent. The execution of the food was excellent as well. My only problem with this place is the wine list. Not enough affordable options. We ordered a bottle of Macrostie Chard at $52 and it was one of the least expensive on the list. It's a very good wine and is likely only slightly overpriced. We noticed that not too many tables had wine bottles on them--people were choosing to order by the glass instead. Seems to me that a restaurant with this quality of food would have a bottle of wine on every table. Some wines in the $30s would probably solve that problem.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typically always good...VicsterDined on 7/9/2014The only time I typically make it to The Basin is just before a concert at the Mountain Winery. This time was the same. We met friends and were seated in the front dining area (I always forget to request the rear rooms or the deck-shame on me). Unfortunately, our server was not impressive. She never asked for our drink order and didn't keep us informed about the timing of our meals. We were not part of the group of people that had to be at the concert at the beginning so I can't attribute the lack of good service to a being there at a busy time. I will go back for another function and hope we have much better service.
- Always Great!ChefrjVIPDined on 7/9/2014Great place to have dinner before a Mountain Winery concert. The staff will ask if you're going so that there's no last minute rush. Much much better than eating at the Winery. The scallops are fantastic, cooked perfectly with nice caramelization on the outside but tender and succulent on the inside. Served with a jalapeño beau blanc sauce that's just a little spicy , perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as before...oilpainterDined on 7/8/2014We had reservation through OpenTable for my husband's birthday dinner with friends, but when we showed up on time, the host asked us to wait and it was 20 min. before we get a table... the food were not as good as we had before. The bread came with a dish of olive oil only, no balsamic vinegar or butter till we asked; beet salad was the worst... the take out beet salad from market was better than they served. Tri-tip was 'interesting' (my husband's exact word), meaning bad! Duck and trout were tasty, kale was okay but mushrooms had weird taste... we had no desire for dessert after the meal. We won't go back for a long long while.
- Mixed impressionBuffDined on 7/7/2014Celebrate birthday. Started off with a martini that was so-so and not near chilled enough. I wanted a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and they had none. Limited menu and they were out of scallops at 6:30. There main steak offering is 22 oz which is way to big for most. The other beef was tri-tip which I can do well at home. We split a delicious beet salad. I ordered the Bowl of Soul which was good but could use a little seasoning. "Soul" suggests spices. It had shrimp and halibut with a nice rice in the soup. Wife had the trout. Came out with part under cooked and had a half plate of green stuff (kale?). The manager was very responsive to the problem and offer several solutions. Finished off with a birthday complimentary dessert that my wife lovedSpecial Features:
- Disappointingpvdiner1Dined on 7/7/2014This was our third visit to The Basin and it was a disappointment. The Caesar salads for $11 were small and had an ingredient in the dressing that seemed sweet and out of place. My wife's tri-tip was 3 or 4 small pieces of meat and a pile of kale. My rigatoni with mushrooms was way too salty. Service was OK and we did take a while to order, but then it was a least 20 minutes before we were served our salads. We probably will not return to The Basin. Regarding the wine list, I'm guessing that the decision has been made to make at least $20 profit on every bottle of wine, either through the corkage fee or a wine list that essentially starts at $40.