14572 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thebasin.com/
- Phone: (408) 867-1906
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm -10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Andrew Welch & Alejandro Perez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our beautiful private dining room is perfect for a quiet dinner for two, a power meeting, corporate event or celebration. Room seats up to 30 guests and is equipped with all your state of the art AV needs including DSL access, 100" flat projector screen and audio & data conferencing. Please call for pricing and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Terese Olague 4088671906
A word from The Basin
Fresh, delicious, and innovative American cuisine in a hip and comfortable setting. The Basin serves modern American fare utilizing farm-raised, hand picked fresh produce, international cheeses, and dry-aged meats. The wine list is as dynamic as it is diverse, including numerous selections from the Santa Cruz Mountains, rare French vintages and hard to find wines from around the globe. A full bar with over twenty signature martinis. In addition to the elegant main dining room, The Basin offers outdoor dining under a magnificent oak tree and a state of the art private dining room - the ideal setting for a business meeting, a presentation, or your next celebration! Dinner nightly from 5:00pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Basin - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
The Basin reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (60)romantic (57)notable wine list (51)great for outdoor dining (45)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Our "go-to" restaurantgreenthumbDined on 11/23/2014We've been dining at the Basin since it opened. It's our favorite place for delicious food and a relaxing atmosphere. It always seems like it's been too long since we've been there. If it's dry, sitting on the patio is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had great service.WineandSpineFoodieDined on 11/22/2014We celebrated a birthday and The Basin was a great place for this. We decided to be seated in the outside area since it is a much quieter area than the general seating in the front of the restaurant. Even though it was late November, the space was comfortable with the heaters. Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive. It was a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome locally sourced foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014We shared a seasonal starter of fried Sardines that was just utterly mind-blowing. The taste combination with the greens it was served with wasn't accidental at all. My wife had the trout, which was astounding as well: perfectly cooked and flavor balanced with the Kale and raisins, and the Tuna seasonal special I had was just perfect in temperature, and perfectly seared, combined with a stunning white buttery sauce. The entire menu is locally sourced, and the seasonal specials are really local as well, our sardines coming from Monterey. The service was fantastic: attentive waitress tending to our every need, and the food came out really quickly. Highly highly recommended, and we'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night place.MrChowDined on 11/15/2014Great place in Saratoga. Place was packed for dinner so good to make reservations for dinner on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten path but a great findScottyBVIPDined on 11/14/2014Sat outside in their enclosed courtyard. Plenty of heaters so the cold evening was not a problem. Server was well trained and friendly. I had the lamb shank and it was one of the best I've ever had. My wife had the exotic mushroom rigatoni and really enjoyed that as well. We went early (6:15) and it was not very busy, but by the time we left, almost every table was full. Didn't review the wine list as we brought a bottle from our cellar and paid the market rate $20 corkage. Split the panna cotta for desert and it was also very good. $8.00 valet parking charge was the only mark against an otherwise perfect dinner outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dinner housepgreyDined on 11/13/2014The Basin is a pleasant dinner house to go to for special occasions or when you're feeling like you're in need of a good meal. The wine list is very extensive so you might need to spend some time checking it out. The soup we had was wonderful, butternut squash. 3 of our main entrees were fish and all were excellent (tuna special, scallops, fish stew) and the fourth dish was the mushroom rigatoni which was super excellent! The front room was a little loud so we sat in the interior room which was definitely quieter. Nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the BasinBCFSanJoseDined on 11/12/2014Everything is delicious! The wild mushroom pasta is to die for. Very well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Basin, SaratogaTomMDined on 10/31/2014We enjoy the Basin as the food is generally excellent, the service is prompt, courteous and friendly, excellent wines and a pleasant sitting.Special Features:
- A good experience but...NellDined on 10/23/2014The menu had several intriguing items but the actual results were sometimes not very good. The cauliflower and the creamed kale casserole were both very good. The four scallops were good but not sufficient considering the price. The spiced butternut squash salad was just OK. The dessert ice cream was good but the bread pudding and chocolate bomb were bland. The service was very good but I don't think we'll come back.Special Features:
- My Saratoga FavoriteSeattleWineXDined on 10/22/2014I revisited The Basin recently after moving back to the area, and was delighted to find that it is just as wonderful a place as it was. Andrew and his team continue with their European deliciousness, and the wine list is as thoughtfully considered as ever. The braised lamb shank was tender, flavorful, and eased gently off the bone. Paired with the 2009 Vieux Telegraphe CNP, it was sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/21/2014A nice little neighborhood restaurant, quite noisy in the main dining room, great service and food. Parking is a major problem in Saratoga unfortunately, good choices on the menu and nicely presented.Special Features:
- Great foodfood4thoughtDined on 10/20/2014Love the white anchovies. The Monterey sardines were fabulousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoritePLMKDined on 10/15/2014Still and will continue to be one of my favorite neighborhood restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealbbergVIPDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our meal as always at Andrew's neighborhood gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Treated like a VIPLGfoodieVIPDined on 10/8/2014What an unexpected surprise to have such a memorable meal here. It was Wednesday night, and we were looking for a quiet dinner out. The evening was warm, and the patio provided the perfect ambience with twinkling lights circling the large central tree trunk. Our waiter was friendly, attentive, and helpful with menu selections as the offerings were all appealing. Then the Chef came out to serve our courses. He took such pride in his delicious creations - including the best cauliflower I've ever had - and we were blown away by the flavors. Every dish was delectable. We even managed to make room for a Paris-worthy cheese course at the end. The special attention and excellent food made us feel like VIPs - though we saw it repeated throughout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerchoosychomperDined on 10/7/2014We were the first to arrive when the restaurant opened, so it was quiet and we got the pick of all of the tables. We ate outside under their large oak tree and the setting was comfortable. The service was attentive and friendly. Everything we ordered was very well prepared, tasty and made for an excellent dinner. It was a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Saratoga's finest!PdozierVIPDined on 10/5/2014The Basin is one of the finest restaurants in Saratoga. Excellent cuisine, service, and ambience for a comfortable dining experience with family or friends. A favorite among the local Saratoga crowd, so you must make a reservation, or your out of luck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic specialsBorn4wineDined on 10/5/2014This place is a South Bay gem. All the dishes we had today were excellent: The house cured salmon appetizer, wild mushroom soup (delightful cheesy center and Tabasco kick), scallops with black rice (surprisingly rich flavor), and albacore tuna special. The cocktails were great as well. We expected mediocre fancy looking food, but it turned out this is really delicious and wholesome food. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Food and Service always outstandingQueenieDined on 10/5/2014The Basin never disappoints with regard to their food and their service. On this particular evening, however, there was a screaming child sitting at the table next to us. The whole experience made me feel like I was in a McDonald's. I could barely hear our waitress when she was telling us the specials over the screaming. Not sure what restaurants can do in such situations, but I don't go out to dinner to listen to kids screaming. That part was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Fantastic placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014This was my first time here and it was AMAZING. The drinks, appetizers, and entrees were delicious. There was also a fabulous "buzz" to the restaurant. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ivorytowersDined on 10/3/2014First night out together since we had our baby, and we couldn't have happened on a better spot. We booked late and when we arrived, we were seated at a high table inside. We were perfectly happy with this, but as soon as we were seated the manager came and asked if we'd like to move to a table in the romantic courtyard, which had just come free. From there, the night got better and better - fabulous service, atmosphere, wine and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatFoodie4VIPDined on 10/3/2014The Basin is a great neighborhood restaurant. Staff are experienced and friendly. Bold Spanish/Mediterranean flavors. Great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not welcoming for young people!ThePhamssistersDined on 10/3/2014It caters more to older folks than young people. The host didn't seem pleasant to serve us. We have our reservation for a Bday and not even a happy birthday from the waiter. The waiter checked in other table very often but skipped us most of the time. We had to wait awhile to get our check. Not recommend and will not be backSpecial Features:
- Best Restaurant in Saratoga!DebRVIPDined on 10/2/2014Our favorite restaurant in Saratoga! Always great food and service!Special Features:
- Love The Basin!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014I love this restaurant. I live in Saratoga and frequent The Basin. I love sitting at the bar and watching the game or sitting the dining area. The Argentine steak is my favorite. But the housemade soups and icecreams are also absolutely delicious! I recommend The Basin without hesitation. Excellent!Special Features:
- Always a great resturantChazDined on 9/27/2014I have been going to the basin for years and it keeps getting better!Special Features:
- Not worth the hypeRaeleenDined on 9/27/2014I wouldn't go back! For spending $100 on a meal, i expected way better service and much better food!Special Features:
- The Basin Saratogalove2munchDined on 9/26/2014The food was excellent however, the front area where we sat was a little cramped. I didn't realize until later that there was another section in the back. All in all it was a great dining experience, one which I hope to repeat soon. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My FavoriteNeilVIPDined on 9/21/2014As always, the staff is attentive, the food great and the ambiance is wonderful.Special Features:
- Great food and personalized serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014As always great seasonal menu and always enjoy the conversation with Chef Vu about the dishes being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeTinaAndSteveVIPDined on 9/17/2014We had dinner and it was our first time at Basin. We have finally found a local favorite! Food was great. Service was great too. We WILL return😀!Special Features:
- ExcellentHappyClamDined on 9/14/2014The Pork and Clams were to die for. Service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Excellent experience. Seated Quickly. Attentive waiter and staff who know their food and can answer questions and make excellent recommendations.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceChadDined on 9/12/2014I love coming here! Great atmosphere, excellent staff, and the food is always excellent.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Saratoga!DebRVIPDined on 9/11/2014Love the Basin! Best food by far in Saratoga! Great service, great food and we always feel welcome!Special Features:
- Really love the BasinOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/7/2014This is my go to "nice place" in the Los Gatos / Saratoga area. There are several good options within a couple miles but for me, the Basin is the best. It's the right mix of really good food, great service, and comfortable scene.Special Features:
- ehhhh?dateniteheroDined on 9/6/2014This was supposed to be a romantic date but we were seated by the door, not given a wine list, they couldn't make one of our cocktails and didn't get the apps on the table for over 30 minutes. On the other hand, our waitress was very nice and the lavender pound cake was the stuff dreams are made of. I would give them another chance. Another bummer....a lack of diversity in the dining room. Looking around we saw white baby boomers and that's about it. I guess it's the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodFoodieforeverDined on 9/6/2014We like this place and frequent it often. I would recommend it!Special Features:
- Keeps Me Coming BackCindiemacDined on 9/5/2014I recently took my mother to the Basin for her 84th birthday. We sat at on the deck under the large oak and enjoyed the lovely late summer evening. The food was perfectly suited for all tastes. The fresh summer vegetables, heirloom tomatoes, corn, squash made the meal special. I especially enjoyed the seasonal melon salad for a starter. Mom was treated to a special dessert complete with candle to top the evening off. I think my mom left feeling like her birthday was a special treat and one we'd all like to repeat in the near future.Special Features:
- Always goodTomSVIPDined on 9/4/2014As I always say about the Basin, it's one of those consistently good, friendly restaurants we don't hesitate to recommend and enjoy for any occasion, where we know we're going to get a wonderful savory meal and warm friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.