The Basil Leaf Cafe
501 Hartz Avenue
Danville, CA 94526Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Basil Leaf Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebasilleafcafe.com/
- Phone: 925-831-2828x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am- 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us bring The Basil Leaf Cafe's delicious food to you. Call and let us make your next event a carefree success.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant’s semi-private dining area is available for holiday parties, meetings, showers – any and all gatherings. Careful attention to detail ensures your event will be a success where you can relax, eat, drink and socialize with family and friends.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Janssen 9258312828x
- Special Events: Champange Brunch every Sunday $18.95 Adults / $9.95 Kids / Includes Coffee, Mimosa, Juice
A word from The Basil Leaf Cafe
The Basil Leaf Café combines traditional homemade Italian fare with fresh and delicious California cuisine. Whether you are in the mood for pasta or a delightful entrée salad, fresh seafood or steak, you’ll find it in our casual and friendly dining room. Homemade desserts, risottos, soups, pasta sauces and salad dressings are created daily. Inviting outdoor patio. Lunch and Dinner served daily. Champagne Brunch every Saturday, and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Basil Leaf Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)neighborhood gem (33)great for brunch (27)great for lunch (27)special occasion (22)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (16)romantic (16)kid-friendly (13)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- good food and friendly stafflolliDined on 8/23/2014everyone in our party of 8 loved their food. the only complaint was a very bland caesar salad. won't order that again. the homemade cannoli for dessert was delicious. waiter very efficient and got everyone's order correct. we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!GrandyDined on 8/23/2014Outdoor seats by the street afford a mellow scene of strolling passersby. The pace is unhurried with great recommendations from the staff which is knowledgeable of the broad capabilities of the wine list. The items selected and their presentation were as tasty and pleasing in reality as they were in expectation. Come prepared to relax, enjoy the evening, the ambiance, and the memory of a very nice find.Special Features:
- DissappointedKiheiGirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014We used to be able to count on a decent meal here but not so last Friday. The service was very slow (30 minutes to receive our drink order) and the lobster ravioli was pretty bad. Another bad move was trying to seat my party of three adults next to a table of eight with at least five screaming kids when the restaurant was practically empty!
- Excellent Place to EatGritboyVIPDined on 8/7/2014We have been to Basil Leaf Café dozens of times, it never disappoints. The food is excellent, the service is friendly and efficient, and the atmosphere is very warm and inviting. We do not understand any of the negative reviews, as our experience has been consistently first rate for 10+ years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't accept OT dining chequesTable4twoVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food was very good. However the service was slow and when we tried to use our open table dining cheque we were told that the restaurant does not accept them.
- Wonderful experience!BethAlamoDined on 8/2/2014We love this place! Food is always wonderful, never over crowded and love the outdoor dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!Anglophile13Dined on 7/27/2014Chose The Basif Leaf for convenience and it turned out to be a wonderful surprise. First and foremost the Sunday Brunch was fabulous.. Starting with Mimosas for the adults and juice for the children. A really wide range of goodies.... hot fresh pasta choices, 4 different salads, everything you could ever want for breakfast: potatoes, sausages, bacon, french toast, eggs benedict, and an omelet and waffle station...the fresh fruit was sweet and just cut, and delicious danish choices. The service was terrific and price for brunch was great. The Basil Leaf has it's own parking lot so no problems there. Atmosphere is kid-friendly but still relaxing even with lots of families on Sunday morning. We loved it and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I just wanted a nice evening out and as always had a wonderful meal, drinks and relaxation. The service was great and everyone was friendly.Special Features:
- RickVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have almost always had more than acceptable meals at BLC - sometimes very good. Friday night (7-18-14) was an especially good night. Our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed their meals. Service was subpar, drink service for two of us was slightly worse. The meals tipped the scales, though. Don't know if there's been a change in the kitchen but whatever they did on Friday night they should keep on doing. NOTE: Our rating completely ignores the service and rates the meals only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.mscharhhappyDined on 7/15/2014First visit to The Basil Leaf Café, I will come again and bring family and friends. Food was fresh and satisfying, loved bread and wine. Salmon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanetDined on 7/14/2014We spent nearly 3 hours over lunch on the patio. Servers were patient, considerate & always ready with refills of ice tea for us. We were able to celebrate a birthday, enjoy a delicious lunch and relax with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs ImprovementFamilyEDined on 7/12/2014We were seated outside at a table to big for the area. The severs had to pass our plates down because there was no room to get by. Food was ok but too expensive for the quality. Cute restaurant but needs improvement. Wait staff was very friendly.
- Good Standard ItalianNotafoodieDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant is good and serves fairly standard Italian food. The atmosphere is pleasant and the outdoor area is charming.Special Features:
- Basil Leaf two thumbs up !GotstahavamypastaDined on 7/10/2014Food was outstanding ! First time there - Three people in our group , we ordered 3 separate meals and all of us left happy - Food was very good ! Even the bread was fresh , warm and simple and the olive oil dip was perfect - Service was outstanding and our waiter was Italian authentic - Loved sitting outside - Ill be back most definately !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchCoachBigsDined on 7/6/2014Went for Sunday Brunch. Lots to choose from. * Pastas, Salads, Fruits, Pastries, Bacon, Sausage, Pizza, French Toast, Fresh Made Waffles, and made to order omelette station. * Bottomless Mimosas included in the price. * Price for Brunch was $21.95 I believe, kids were $10.95. We sat outside on a beautiful Sunday. Server we had wasn't around much, but you can tell other tables had the server around a lot and was getting excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch funWndigirl3Dined on 7/6/2014Really enjoy going and taking out of town guests as well. Noticed the place went a little down hill with service time once seated & patio would take 10min. to clean up so I think they are slacking a wee bit. The hairs left on a otherwise nice set table wasn't fun. Food was great as usual :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mlmdanvillDined on 6/30/2014We had a very pleasant evening- good food, great service. The menu accommodates most tastes, and while the non-pasta entrees might make it a "special occasion" choice for us, there were lots of great choices that were moderately priced. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRosieDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was new and had a difficult time with any questions about items on the menu. It made for a long evening....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be goodJeffreyDined on 6/22/2014Made reservations online with instructions that it was my mothers birthday. The note was ignored even though we ordered a desert. Afterward, both my fiancé and I had stomach issues from the food. It was way too loud and I had to get up and ask someone if a server would be by to give us menus. Not satisfying. Not recommended. Kind if embarrassing for me since it was my idea to take the family there.
- weekday lunchDiningWCduoDined on 6/16/2014Restaurant setting was nice and good for conversation. Difficult to understand server when she relayed the specials of the day. Food lacked seasoning/taste, tho quality of basic ingredients was there and cooked properly. Portion of salad on sandwich plate was not consistent and skimpy on one plate. Busboy kept water glasses filled. Parking lot very handy.
- Awesome Brunch on Father's DayLuvgoodfoodDined on 6/15/2014Basil Leaf just keeps getting better and better. This is one of my favorite places for brunch/lunch. Keep up the great job guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place that could be betterluv2dineDined on 6/13/2014Nice ambiance with the candle and setting except for the ugly deli looking glass case we sat in front of . They could add a little more pasta to pasta dishes! Nice little place that could be a little better.Special Features:
- What a Treat!LiveToDineVIPDined on 6/13/2014We started with the antipasti platter. The items I don't eat, like cheese, my husband ate, so good to share. We both had salads with added chicken. They accommodated me in switching up the greens; much appreciated. We were surprised that for an additional $4, you actually get a lot of grilled chicken. We were full and were going to pass up on dessert, but we couldn't resist the selection. My husband had the carrot cake, which he enjoyed, but I thought was a little too sweet. I had the Bomba, a frozen sorbet ball covered with white chocolate - sooo good. Since I only could eat half, I ran home with the other half (which the waiter put into a plastic container and kept in the freezer for me until we were ready to leave). Love this place!Special Features:
- Great for gatheringsGFDinerDined on 6/6/2014Basil Leaf always takes care of my groups, big and small, and any special dietary needs. Service is great. Food is fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Below mediocre.NotafanDined on 5/31/2014A must MISS. Horrible. Very mediocre. Cheap on proteins. Overpriced. Crapy ingredients. Never again.
- Consistently Outstanding!MichaelVIPDined on 5/30/2014Our dinner at Basil Leaf did not disappoint. The food and the service was outstanding ... as always. One of the great restaurants in downtown Danville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a relaxed ambianceAnnieDined on 5/22/2014I always enjoy dining here because the staff is attentive the food is consistently good, and I like the faux Italian decor. It's very pleasant dining on the outdoor patio. The menu is quite extensive with many pasta selections. I love the pasta with salmon in a creamy tomato sauce. It's a great place to have a small group party. They were wonderful for my son's birthday party, bringing him the cake with candles lit and singing happy birthday.Special Features:
- Mother's DayDakesaxDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful meal at Basil Leaf for Mother's Day. The food was great, but my only complaint was that we had to wait 20 minutes for our table, but that's a price you pay on a very busy restaurant day. We've been here several times in the past and the food is always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceWendyDined on 5/10/2014The food and drinks were good but service was really slow. It must have been a bad night (Saturday before Mother's Day) or they were short servers, kitchen staff, or both. There were two tables near us who complained-(loudly, I heard one table waited over an hour for their food)-and I heard the manager say he would comp their meals and to ask for him next time so he could make sure they were taken care of. Two other tables were complaining but I didn't hear the manager comp them. We didn't complain because we weren't in a hurry but we had empty drink and water glasses and no food for 35 minutes. I recommend giving it a try because the food was good but next time I'll eat someplace else because the service left a bad taste in my mouth.I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicesinger0526VIPDined on 5/10/2014we were there on a Saturday evening. When we go there, the restaurant was not full and we were seated outside. It seemed that they did not have enough wait staff. the salads were timely and very good, although my husband said that there was hardly any basil on the caprise salad. The basil was a few thin strips, not the leaves we are used to. After a long wait, the food came and tasted very good. The waiter asked if we wanted cheese on the pasta, and we said yes, but they never brought any. We could see that he was overwhelmed with the number of tables he had. We had to ask for the bill and after we were served dinner the waiter, or anyone else for that matter, never came back to the table. I don't think we'll be going back any time soon.Special Features:
- So disappointing!ClarkVIPDined on 5/10/2014The Basil Leaf Cafe was one of our favorite Danville restaurants years ago - a well-decorated, cute cafe with very good Italian food. We hadn't been there for several years, so we took some friends the night before Mother's Day. The food was terrible - the chicken tough (smelled and tasted microwaved), the risotto gooey and sweet. They seated us in a small alcove where they seated a large private party 10 minutes after us. With the noise, we couldn't hear each other. The waiter's service was great (raising the rating from a 1 to a 2 star). The experience was so bad, we'll never go again.
- Brunch buffet crowded beyond reasonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014Firstly, the food was very good. Dining room was packed, staff looked bewildered and stressed. There was absolutely no room to move in the buffet line, which wrapped around most of the dining room. It was uncomfortable to be crowded around tables of diners eating, and I am sure it was very uncomfortable for them as well. It's too bad because the food was very good, (I reserved for a going away brunch for a very dear friend) but I won't be back.
- Great food cafeteria vibeMartymazVIPDined on 5/1/2014We dined on a Thursday night. Outside patio was full and we were the only people inside. Cesar salad was good, veal picata was excellent. Employees were talking loudly to each other and on their cell phones and frankly that created a strange vibe. There is a large refrigerated figure in the center of the room with beer bottles and such and was half empty. Created kind of a cafeteria look and with no fresh food displayed or stored just negatively impacted the ambiance. In summary, we would go back for the food, but not for the overall feel. Having said that the folks on the patio probably had a very different experience that night.
- The following 486 reviews are from the The Basil Leaf Cafe reviews archive.
- Great place, great foodOTReviewVIPDined on 4/24/2014I've never been disappointed with the Basil Leaf Café. It's located in downtown Danville and serves wonderful food -- I always enjoy going there whatever the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch with freindsFancyDined on 4/24/2014We met dear friends for lunch never felt rushed. We had not seen each other in awhile and had a lot of catching up. Great service and food. Nice menu selection, something for everyone. Looking forward to returning again soon !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter traditionCityGirlDined on 4/20/2014We come every year for Easter. It's a wonderful place with great service and yummy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/20/2014We love the Basil LeafCafe. The only complaint is that they didn't refill the food in a timely manner. Once when I got up for hot food about half of the Warner's were empty. Great service, good food and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and quietManonDined on 4/15/2014Had lunch with a friend. Food was good, service was great, and the best part was the quiet atmosphere. We could actually carry on a conversation. I love their fruit infused water...it's the best in town.Special Features:
- Reupholster your booths!rm1proVIPDined on 4/12/2014They should pay more attention to the appearance of the restaurant. The upholstery in the booths must be replaced sit is worn out and looks terrible!Special Features:
- Sensational!Love2dine211Dined on 4/9/2014This is our first time dining here and the food was amazing! My husband & I had the linguini carbonara & the chicken eggplant Parmesan - fabulous! Service was very good. We certainly will go back there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.