The Basil Leaf Cafe
501 Hartz Avenue
Danville, CA 94526Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Basil Leaf Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebasilleafcafe.com/
- Phone: (925) 831-2828
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am- 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us bring The Basil Leaf Cafe's delicious food to you. Call and let us make your next event a carefree success.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant’s semi-private dining area is available for holiday parties, meetings, showers – any and all gatherings. Careful attention to detail ensures your event will be a success where you can relax, eat, drink and socialize with family and friends.
- Private Party Contact: Eric Janssen 9258312828x
- Special Events: Champange Brunch every Sunday $18.95 Adults / $9.95 Kids / Includes Coffee, Mimosa, Juice
A word from The Basil Leaf Cafe
The Basil Leaf Café combines traditional homemade Italian fare with fresh and delicious California cuisine. Whether you are in the mood for pasta or a delightful entrée salad, fresh seafood or steak, you’ll find it in our casual and friendly dining room. Homemade desserts, risottos, soups, pasta sauces and salad dressings are created daily. Inviting outdoor patio. Lunch and Dinner served daily. Champagne Brunch every Saturday, and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
The Basil Leaf Cafe - Best Restaurants in Danville ›
The Basil Leaf Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (26)neighborhood gem (11)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)great for brunch (8)romantic (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2014I was very disappointed in the food quality when I recently visited the Basil Leaf Cafe. I have eaten at this restaurant many times in the past and have always enjoyed delicious food. The BRUNCH Menu did not meet the normal standards of excellence this restaurant has offered in the past. I have had brunch here once before and it was outstanding. This visit proved to be a big let down. The salad was limp and not replenished when it was dwindling down to not much left on the platter, The breakfast pasteries were skimpy and everything just felt like it was an afterthought. The bacon was undercooked and not very hot, the potatoes were also undercooked and overseasoned. It just felt like everything was served without much effort or care. It was really offputting to see a tip jar in front of the chef making individula omelettes! For the price of the brunch (which did not offer as many items as it used to) a tip jar is an insult! Maybe I just hit it on a bad day, but I will not be returning for their brunch menu any time soon.
- Good for outdoor diningBugabooVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant is great for outdoor dining because you can people watch while eating in downtown Danville. The food is good but not exceptional. Great for families. We sat inside and had alot or fruit flies buzzing about, which was somewhat annoying. The food took a long time to arrive as the restaurant was not busy at 5:45PM for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingDCinSRDined on 9/11/2014Even though reserved 24 hours in advance, arrived exactly on time, (early evening), and the place was almost empty, we got the worst seats in the place......directly between the patio and the main entrance......high traffic area.....seated next to a very noisy, large group of diners. Food was decent, service was apathetic. If the restaurant doesn't care then it's time to move on.
- We ate outsidePatdinesVIPDined on 9/9/2014We had a nice evening light dinner. Soup and salad.Special Features:
- BrunchAnniversaryDined on 9/7/2014Selection is too limited at brunch. More salads and vegetable dishes would be appreciatedSpecial Features:
- AbbyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Server made us feel hurried. Not very attentive. Kids meals were fair and my soup and salad was just ok.Special Features:
- WalnutCreekFoodieDined on 9/5/2014Fairly underwhelmed. Hostess clueless and lied about patio availability. Opentable check-in never completed so received nasty no show note from them. Food OK. Much better other local options without the attitude.Special Features:
- MehSuechefDined on 8/30/2014We've always loved The Basil Leaf Cafe for its ambience, great menu, outdoor seating--good for people watching and the delicious food. Our last two visits, though, have been a disappointment. Food okay at best. Had to return my Caesar salad as the dressing was inedible--way too fishy/lemony and poured on way too thick. My chicken Marsala was tender but again, the sauce was all wrong...Special Features:
- NothOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The Basil Leaf Café is a great place to go for Italian food. It has a nice cozy ambiance as well as delicious entrées The staff are attentive to all the diner's needs making the entire experience extremely pleasant. I recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- norcalviewerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great place for girls lunch out! Their homemade soups are always delicious and the specials always worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and friendly stafflolliDined on 8/23/2014everyone in our party of 8 loved their food. the only complaint was a very bland caesar salad. won't order that again. the homemade cannoli for dessert was delicious. waiter very efficient and got everyone's order correct. we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!GrandyDined on 8/23/2014Outdoor seats by the street afford a mellow scene of strolling passersby. The pace is unhurried with great recommendations from the staff which is knowledgeable of the broad capabilities of the wine list. The items selected and their presentation were as tasty and pleasing in reality as they were in expectation. Come prepared to relax, enjoy the evening, the ambiance, and the memory of a very nice find.Special Features:
- DissappointedKiheiGirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014We used to be able to count on a decent meal here but not so last Friday. The service was very slow (30 minutes to receive our drink order) and the lobster ravioli was pretty bad. Another bad move was trying to seat my party of three adults next to a table of eight with at least five screaming kids when the restaurant was practically empty!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014I'll be back for the sorbet dipped in white chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place to EatGritboyVIPDined on 8/7/2014We have been to Basil Leaf Café dozens of times, it never disappoints. The food is excellent, the service is friendly and efficient, and the atmosphere is very warm and inviting. We do not understand any of the negative reviews, as our experience has been consistently first rate for 10+ years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't accept OT dining chequesTable4twoVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food was very good. However the service was slow and when we tried to use our open table dining cheque we were told that the restaurant does not accept them.
- Wonderful experience!BethAlamoDined on 8/2/2014We love this place! Food is always wonderful, never over crowded and love the outdoor dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 513 reviews are from the The Basil Leaf Cafe reviews archive.
- Fabulous!!!Anglophile13Dined on 7/27/2014Chose The Basif Leaf for convenience and it turned out to be a wonderful surprise. First and foremost the Sunday Brunch was fabulous.. Starting with Mimosas for the adults and juice for the children. A really wide range of goodies.... hot fresh pasta choices, 4 different salads, everything you could ever want for breakfast: potatoes, sausages, bacon, french toast, eggs benedict, and an omelet and waffle station...the fresh fruit was sweet and just cut, and delicious danish choices. The service was terrific and price for brunch was great. The Basil Leaf has it's own parking lot so no problems there. Atmosphere is kid-friendly but still relaxing even with lots of families on Sunday morning. We loved it and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I just wanted a nice evening out and as always had a wonderful meal, drinks and relaxation. The service was great and everyone was friendly.Special Features:
- RickVIPDined on 7/18/2014We have almost always had more than acceptable meals at BLC - sometimes very good. Friday night (7-18-14) was an especially good night. Our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed their meals. Service was subpar, drink service for two of us was slightly worse. The meals tipped the scales, though. Don't know if there's been a change in the kitchen but whatever they did on Friday night they should keep on doing. NOTE: Our rating completely ignores the service and rates the meals only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.mscharhhappyDined on 7/15/2014First visit to The Basil Leaf Café, I will come again and bring family and friends. Food was fresh and satisfying, loved bread and wine. Salmon was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JanetDined on 7/14/2014We spent nearly 3 hours over lunch on the patio. Servers were patient, considerate & always ready with refills of ice tea for us. We were able to celebrate a birthday, enjoy a delicious lunch and relax with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs ImprovementFamilyEDined on 7/12/2014We were seated outside at a table to big for the area. The severs had to pass our plates down because there was no room to get by. Food was ok but too expensive for the quality. Cute restaurant but needs improvement. Wait staff was very friendly.
- Good Standard ItalianNotafoodieDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant is good and serves fairly standard Italian food. The atmosphere is pleasant and the outdoor area is charming.Special Features:
- Basil Leaf two thumbs up !GotstahavamypastaDined on 7/10/2014Food was outstanding ! First time there - Three people in our group , we ordered 3 separate meals and all of us left happy - Food was very good ! Even the bread was fresh , warm and simple and the olive oil dip was perfect - Service was outstanding and our waiter was Italian authentic - Loved sitting outside - Ill be back most definately !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchCoachBigsDined on 7/6/2014Went for Sunday Brunch. Lots to choose from. * Pastas, Salads, Fruits, Pastries, Bacon, Sausage, Pizza, French Toast, Fresh Made Waffles, and made to order omelette station. * Bottomless Mimosas included in the price. * Price for Brunch was $21.95 I believe, kids were $10.95. We sat outside on a beautiful Sunday. Server we had wasn't around much, but you can tell other tables had the server around a lot and was getting excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch funWndigirl3Dined on 7/6/2014Really enjoy going and taking out of town guests as well. Noticed the place went a little down hill with service time once seated & patio would take 10min. to clean up so I think they are slacking a wee bit. The hairs left on a otherwise nice set table wasn't fun. Food was great as usual :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mlmdanvillDined on 6/30/2014We had a very pleasant evening- good food, great service. The menu accommodates most tastes, and while the non-pasta entrees might make it a "special occasion" choice for us, there were lots of great choices that were moderately priced. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRosieVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our waiter was new and had a difficult time with any questions about items on the menu. It made for a long evening....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be goodJeffreyDined on 6/22/2014Made reservations online with instructions that it was my mothers birthday. The note was ignored even though we ordered a desert. Afterward, both my fiancé and I had stomach issues from the food. It was way too loud and I had to get up and ask someone if a server would be by to give us menus. Not satisfying. Not recommended. Kind if embarrassing for me since it was my idea to take the family there.
- weekday lunchDiningWCduoDined on 6/16/2014Restaurant setting was nice and good for conversation. Difficult to understand server when she relayed the specials of the day. Food lacked seasoning/taste, tho quality of basic ingredients was there and cooked properly. Portion of salad on sandwich plate was not consistent and skimpy on one plate. Busboy kept water glasses filled. Parking lot very handy.
- Awesome Brunch on Father's DayLuvgoodfoodDined on 6/15/2014Basil Leaf just keeps getting better and better. This is one of my favorite places for brunch/lunch. Keep up the great job guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place that could be betterluv2dineDined on 6/13/2014Nice ambiance with the candle and setting except for the ugly deli looking glass case we sat in front of . They could add a little more pasta to pasta dishes! Nice little place that could be a little better.Special Features:
- What a Treat!LiveToDineVIPDined on 6/13/2014We started with the antipasti platter. The items I don't eat, like cheese, my husband ate, so good to share. We both had salads with added chicken. They accommodated me in switching up the greens; much appreciated. We were surprised that for an additional $4, you actually get a lot of grilled chicken. We were full and were going to pass up on dessert, but we couldn't resist the selection. My husband had the carrot cake, which he enjoyed, but I thought was a little too sweet. I had the Bomba, a frozen sorbet ball covered with white chocolate - sooo good. Since I only could eat half, I ran home with the other half (which the waiter put into a plastic container and kept in the freezer for me until we were ready to leave). Love this place!Special Features:
- Great for gatheringsGFDinerDined on 6/6/2014Basil Leaf always takes care of my groups, big and small, and any special dietary needs. Service is great. Food is fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Below mediocre.NotafanVIPDined on 5/31/2014A must MISS. Horrible. Very mediocre. Cheap on proteins. Overpriced. Crapy ingredients. Never again.
- Consistently Outstanding!MichaelVIPDined on 5/30/2014Our dinner at Basil Leaf did not disappoint. The food and the service was outstanding ... as always. One of the great restaurants in downtown Danville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a relaxed ambianceAnnieDined on 5/22/2014I always enjoy dining here because the staff is attentive the food is consistently good, and I like the faux Italian decor. It's very pleasant dining on the outdoor patio. The menu is quite extensive with many pasta selections. I love the pasta with salmon in a creamy tomato sauce. It's a great place to have a small group party. They were wonderful for my son's birthday party, bringing him the cake with candles lit and singing happy birthday.Special Features:
- Mother's DayDakesaxDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful meal at Basil Leaf for Mother's Day. The food was great, but my only complaint was that we had to wait 20 minutes for our table, but that's a price you pay on a very busy restaurant day. We've been here several times in the past and the food is always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceWendyDined on 5/10/2014The food and drinks were good but service was really slow. It must have been a bad night (Saturday before Mother's Day) or they were short servers, kitchen staff, or both. There were two tables near us who complained-(loudly, I heard one table waited over an hour for their food)-and I heard the manager say he would comp their meals and to ask for him next time so he could make sure they were taken care of. Two other tables were complaining but I didn't hear the manager comp them. We didn't complain because we weren't in a hurry but we had empty drink and water glasses and no food for 35 minutes. I recommend giving it a try because the food was good but next time I'll eat someplace else because the service left a bad taste in my mouth.I would recommend this to a friend.