The Barrel Room at City Winery
155 Varick Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
The Barrel Room at City Winery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citywinery.com/barrel-room
- Phone: 2126080555x476
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday - 11:30pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tue - Sat: 5:00pm - 11:00pm / Sun & Mon 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour Daily: 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jeff Haskell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room or corporate presentations for 20; winery available for parties, dinners or presentations up to 74 guests. The main room has a capacity of 300 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Len 2126080555x477
A word from The Barrel Room at City Winery
The Barrel Room, housed within our space, not part of concert seating, is a tasting room and 30-seat café that features 11 wines by the tap made on our premises by our wine maker David Lecomte. The innovative tap system permits us to pour wines straight from the barrel to the glass with no preservatives or added sulfates making it the freshest, eco friendly wine in NYC. Join us daily for our guided wine flights, house-made retail wines to go and 400 bottle Wine Spectator Award winning wine list to go with Executive Chef, Jeff Haskell's wine inspired dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Barrel Room at City Winery - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
The Barrel Room at City Winery reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (13)romantic (12)hot spot (10)special occasion (9)good for groups (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Delicious Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014I took my friend here to celebrate her 30th birthday. What a GREAT decision! We had the tasting menu with wine pairing. It was worth every penny. I am still thinking about each dish, and the wines complimented each course. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- good, but inconsistentpetes1966Dined on 9/11/2014I've eaten here twice. The first time was great - interesting menu choices, good portions, great tasting food & wine. The second time decidedly different. Our chef was salt happy. Both my salad & my steak was way too salty. sandwiching the chorizo we had as an appetizer which was too sweet. A good chef uses salt minimally or not at all, and with all the ways to dress a salad who pours salt on top of it?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and LoudUWSfoodieDined on 8/26/2014Everyone on the wait staff was fabulous. No problems there. But, the food was just average and the noise level unbearable, I cannot imagine returning.Special Features:
- Exquisite!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014I went to The Barrel Room at City Winery for my friend's birthday, and it couldn't have been more perfect! The service was wonderful, even though the restaurant is often packed (understandably), the wait staff is incredibly accommodating! Diana, our server was super friendly and made sure that we enjoyed ourselves. My friend said that the hangar steak was the best steak she had ever had! All in all, amazing spot!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerDarshDined on 7/31/2014it was fantastic find for wine lover and foodies. Especially when trying Shiraz which was just slightly chilled and that we loved it. Oh and lovd Tofu dish and sauce, which was very flavor ful and not blend. Liked it a lot. It was a great expereience and will very much so come back again. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hunterlighthouse2014Dined on 7/23/2014It was great fun and friendly atmosphere. Interesting food choices and preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrendous serviceKPNYCVIPDined on 7/20/2014I've lived in New York for almost 11 years and this was the worst service I have EVER experienced. They forgot to put in my food order, my friend got her food served to her 20 minutes before mine showed up. They tried to make me eat the food that was to go to the guy sitting next to me at the next table. They forgot to order a second order. Just a horrible mess.Special Features:
- Good wines. Poor service.bmunnikDined on 7/20/2014We had brunch at the City Winery. The service was slow. We got offered 4 different meals before they had our order straight and the flatbread that they served us was cold. I wouldn't advise on going to the City Winery, despite the fact that the wines are good. The service is too poor.Special Features:
- Business lunchJslc66Dined on 7/17/2014Polite and efficient this a great place for an informal business lunch or dinner. Food is good wine list is good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experienceeastsidewinoDined on 7/6/2014We had a gilt City voucher for Sunday brunch, which gave us each an entree and a flight of wine. The flights were a mix of three; one white, two reds, which were nice, flavorful wines. The entrees came out about 10 mins apart, which was strange, but the food was prepared well. I had the mushroom flatbread (which was a large portion for one) and my fiance had the eggs & pastrami that he enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- most enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/3/2014our group of 6 celebrated a birthday and all of us had a great meal- super fresh and delicious food, the Tres Amigos tap wine was smooth and luscious. the service was friendly and unassuming, the only hick up was - we ordered an appetizer platter to share, but it was never brought out, until we mentioned it to the wait staff and they brought it after everyone finished their main course. Other than that, all was excellent.Special Features:
- Mediocre food, BAD serviceTribecaFoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014The food menu is scattered and does not seem to follow any type of cosine. The waiting staff was extremely unprofessional in the way they talked to clients, served the food and cleared (or not cleared) the tables. Last but not least I had to wait nearly an hour for a piece of toast that was supposed to come with my entree. After reminding the staff about my toast, the toast arrived but was not made of the bread I had requested (despite specifying the bread 3 or 4 times during the time of my wait). I will most certainly not waste my time going to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- The following 206 reviews are from the The Barrel Room at City Winery reviews archive.
- Nothing specialLT11VIPDined on 6/20/2014We were excited to come here. The decor is simple and I like the idea that they make their wine in-house. The food, however, is nothing special. We won't be coming back.
- Fun placeworksinhoodVIPDined on 6/10/2014It's one of the only places in that 'hood on Varick that has a decent wine list and good food. The waiter was a little lackadaisical, but overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Will try the big room next timeTwinkieDined on 5/16/2014for a klezmer brunch... We all enjoyed sampling 3 whites and then choosing 1 for a carafe and found that when sitting on bar stools, sharing appetizers was the way to go. Next time I'll know to request a table. Loved the smoky eggplant appetizer and my duck tacos. Service was excellent given the space. The basement room looked like a great place for a private party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAlwaysHungryVIPDined on 5/11/2014Was hoping for a nice relaxing Mother's Day Brunch - service was poor - reserved table for 4 could hardly fit 2 and the food was slow, cold and just not worth the money
- Looking for good musicdeebois14Dined on 5/10/2014We were looking for someplace with good music for our visit to NYC & found it at City Winery. Joan Osborne & Roseanne Cash put on a great show. The plus side was that the food was excellent also, as well as the wine. We had made dinner reservations ahead of our visit in the Barrel Room, but found it to be too chilly and the waitress pleasantly moved us to the main restaurant. It's a great place to dine and be entertained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, wine and friendsEat2liveandLive2eatDined on 5/10/2014A nice, casual atmosphere, excellent choice of wines, and a neighborhood find. Attentive staff are friendly and helpful, menu choices varied enough, and well-presented. Can be busy on evenings when there is a show at the Winery, so give yourself time.Special Features:
- Lovely and loud!audmonsterDined on 5/8/2014Go for the food, wine, and staff - not the atmosphere. If you were trying to have a nice conversation over dinner, this is not the the place for you. Loud groups and lots of pushing. But! The staff was wonderful! They did their best to make us feel comfortable - and they have that fine line between hovering and ignoring you down to a perfection. They leave you alone until you need something, and then as soon as you need something they are right there.Special Features:
- Flights & FoodKassim10Dined on 5/1/2014Excellent service, friendly host, sweet waitress, couldn't have been better to us. Were seated right away next to the room with all the barrels. The space looks really open and group-friendly. Lot's of open areas and woodwork. Food was excellent, especially the duck tacos. I would go back with no hesitation.Special Features:
- Closed!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014Closed for a special event. Booked the table same day on line, got to the rest. And it was "closed"
- amazing sharing bitesCJL78VIPDined on 4/19/2014I always get nervous when a restaurant has reservations available on a saturday night with one week notice. But I need't have been. The tapas style sharing menu here was full of gems. The burrata was a real stand-out, the meatballs were tasty, the tofu was amazing. We had a great little selection by picking a bunch of things from the menu. The crowd was not the hippest in NYC but the restaurant still had a nice buzz. We were the last to leave around 10.30 - it was a shame it felt rather empty as the night went on.Special Features:
- Super Fun!IceIceBabyDined on 4/13/2014We wanted to have dinner before the Mad Men season opener and wow did we pick the right place. We had great service from friendly wonderful servers who really love the product and we enjoyed every bite. We will see you again very soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 times in 5 days...Citygirl82Dined on 4/8/2014I LOVE this place! Hands down THE BEST Inside out burrata I've ever had! Great wine, good atmosphere, awesome staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- woofoosVIPDined on 4/8/2014Great food and space but extremely slow service makes it a terrible choice for lunch.
- Good for 1000 pointsoutstandingVIPDined on 4/6/2014A simple brunch menu with errors and omissions and a chef with no flexibility or imagination (e.e. No side orders if it's not printed). Poorly presented dishes with overcooked eggs and questionable grub. Reasonable ambiance, flat service and a in-house brewed wine selection that requires a bit more elegance. Been there done that, no more.
- Pleasantly surprisedJeffDined on 3/30/2014We wandered into the Barrel Room for lunch as it was close to the Trump SoHo (diagonally across the street) and we had some time to kill due to a delayed flight. The food was great. I want to get back to enjoy a show (many interesting acts).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpected find!veggiefoodieDined on 3/23/2014Went last minute in an effort to find a convenient place for our family to meet up from various parts of the city. The food was delicious and many options for vegetarians (which most of our family are) but also pleasing for the meat eaters! Would recommend and go again. The barrel wine was great and they will give a sample so you can try before you buy! Fun wine names and descriptions as well - but not intimidating at all.Special Features:
- City WineryLsiciliaDined on 2/27/2014Excellent wine list, food and service. A little pricey on the bottles of wine. But overall an excellent place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice LunchEasbeachVIPDined on 2/25/2014This place is a great spot for a casual lunch with great wine to pair with it!!!Special Features:
- The Barrel Room is amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/5/2014The Barrel Room is amazing! My friends and I went thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findRoc42Dined on 1/30/2014Staff was so wonderful, wine was very good. We were greeted with a small wine sample as we were seated. That was such a nice touch. The roasted tofu was the best of all we ordered. Plates are perfect for sharing.Special Features:
- Great wine!PatrickVIPDined on 1/24/2014Very good tasting menu (portions were a bit small though) with a VERY good wine list. All of the wine is made at the restaurant in the attached wine cellar which gave the place a very good vibe. Highly recommend checking this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & delicious. A wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2014Fun & delicious. A wonderful evening. Definitely do the tastings with the wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saw Fab Faux at CW. restaurantphilDined on 12/30/2013saw Fab Faux at CW. restaurant and music was great. we had been to CW several times but nit to Barrel. will go eat there againSpecial Features:
- Good food, service and selectionbruncherVIPDined on 12/28/2013Dinner at The Barrel Room was very good. We were provided with two tastes of wine and ordered both of them for appetizers and dinner. Service was well paced between courses and definitely not rushed, which is a rarity for an 8pm dinner reservation. We were allowed to converse and enjoy the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great time at City WineryAEN0126VIPDined on 12/18/2013I went out with two colleagues to celebrate the end of the year. The menu had changed since the last time I was there, but there were still plenty of wonderful choices. We went with: cheese plate, meat plate, meatballs, arancini and hummus. We also had the Sohovougnon Blanc. My only complaints about this meal were that the meat and cheese didn't come out at the same time and that at the end of the evening, we had been there for a few hours and were encouraged to wrap it up and leave so other people could be seated. Understandable but still a bit rude. I would still go back again.Special Features:
- Love the short ribs....delicious...RantDined on 12/13/2013Love the short ribs....delicious....everything we ordered we enjoyed.Special Features:
- friendly warm atmosphere,servicelinschDined on 12/8/2013friendly warm atmosphere,service was good ,enjoyable evening.menu could have more variety but food was tasty !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always fun to eat outHunryjackie1VIPDined on 11/30/2013The ambience was good, it's a nice menu BUT the favors of the dishes was either wrong temperature,to salty not enough sald dressing. And the white wine was not good. I believe they could use a new chef. The noise level is great because you can still have a conversation. It has a good vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.