The Bar at Avance
1523 Walnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Bar at Avance
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avancerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2154050700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, or later!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Justin Bogle
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The Bar at Avance
At Avance Chef Justin Bogle finds innovative ways to excite his diners with a progressive approach to modern American cuisine. The menu, inspired by foods of the season, is constantly changing. The downstairs bar offers a great place to come in from the cold and try a phenomenal cocktail or spirit. With a wine list of over 500 bottles, a wonderful beer selection, and a la carte or tasting menu options diners will amazed by what they are offered when they step into what is expected to be the next great restaurant in Philadelphia.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Bar at Avance reviews from OpenTable diners
- vamosrafa04VIPDined on 4/28/2014Everything was wonderful, the food, the service and the atmosphere. My only complaint, some of the appetizers, are way too small for the price!Special Features:
- Expense accounts onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/3/2014Food and service are very good - even if over priced. (Lamb burger at $18 is good - though heavily salted and the least expensive entrée.) The wine list is untouchable absent an expense account. Low cost options - reds and whites under $80 are listed separately - that "low cost" option are deceiving. Olivier Leflaive's 2011 white burgundy is $17 a glass and $70 a bottle. National average bottle price is $20 (LCB special order price is $23.59) and the wine is readily available in New Jersey from $16 to $23 with most bottle prices under $20. I can appreciate that the restaurant is trying to attract a well healed corporate crowd, but these types of mark ups make one eager to get up and go after looking at the drink prices.
- Very good experienceispyjmsDined on 3/29/2014Had a lovely time sitting at the bar. Bartender/server was a little too eager and "bouncy", and despite a very expensive wine list, our food was phenomenal. We had the 5 course cheese plate, the lamb burger and the steak. I would definitely recommend after a day of sightseeing/shopping. Very casual and elegant atmosphere. A very nice experience w/ delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb Burger HeavenMariaVIPDined on 3/14/2014Best new burger in town. Border Springs farm lamb shines here w/layers and layers of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Right and Wrong of ItRavenDined on 3/8/2014At the Bar at Avance, you encounter a lot that's right and wrong about today's dining scene. The darkness is not so much romantic as annoying. The buzz is exciting enough to make you forget that whatever intimate conversation you might be having is being shared with nearby couples in the closeted space. The drink list includes names such as PANDA AT THE DISCO, which is either humorous or pretentious, according to how it hits you. The drink itself is good and also costs $14. Overall the food is creative and tasty, although in the case of the wild striped bass disappointingly small. Be prepared to spend a lot more money for dining in a "bar" than you would in a lot of restaurants.Special Features:
- The menu is limited, and theyUnsatisfiedVIPDined on 2/22/2014The menu is limited, and they try to do far too much with their selections. They describe their cuisine as Contemporary American, however the dishes appear to be more complex than any such cuisine we've sampled, with odd flavor combinations. The atmosphere in the bar downstairs is intimate, with low lighting and pleasing decor. The server was very professional, friendly and knowledgeable, and was appropriately attentive. We might return for a drink, but not for the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent Bourbon selectionsPhiliFoodieDined on 2/20/2014Made it to this bar for a late night dinner and found a gem of a bar! Amazing bourbon selections, excellent service, and the food was delicious. I'll be coming back here for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful bar with great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/15/2014Come here if you want to impress a date. This place is a great update to the dreary Le Bec Fin. It's now super posh and classy. Service is excellent and they have some really tasty cocktails. I also want to highlight that their wines by the glass are pretty special; I'd might say the list is one of the best in the city. I can't say much for the food because we were there for Valentine's Day and the dinner bar menu was super limited. Got a cheese plate which wasn't impressive because the cheeses are mostly domestic cheeses that can be found at Di Bruno Bros. I'd come here again to try the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an odd place: EVERYONE seemsfijiVIPDined on 2/15/2014an odd place: EVERYONE seems to have to go downstairs to wait for their tables - ALL the servers have to trot up and down those stairs all night - and I was not given the option of an elevator, though I have trouble with stairs that said, the food was just fine, though puzzling - our server said The Bar serves the same food as upstairs with two additions: the lamburger and oysters. But we asked to see a menu for upstairs which had a much greater selection of appetizers and entrees - huh? what we had was very good (mackerel and beef), but these were the only entree-size things on the menu and, given the minimalist portions, we both thought we would be hungry by the end of the Phila Orch concert - and Andrew was over to you given thisI would recommend this to a friend.
- The bar is more casual thanOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/8/2014The bar is more casual than the main dining room but the service is still impeccable. Amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2014Just go - the food, drinks and presentation are amazing. Kudos to the chef - he's fabulous.Special Features:
- Met an out if town friend for dinneStanVIPDined on 1/29/2014My friend from DC was blown away by the atmosphere, food and excellent service. He is a foodie & was amazed be each dish & the presentation. Very happy we decided to come to Avance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful menu. Would lovepamkVIPDined on 1/17/2014Wonderful menu. Would love to see at least one more modestly priced entree, but there were two. The oysters were the best we have had in a while - they were perfect! The place is beautiful. Bar tables are difficult for service however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensively OddCharlieVIPDined on 1/10/2014Maybe our expectations were too high. Maybe it was because we dined in the bar and the bar menu was very limited and not very fetching. My wife had a fish entree that was very tasty, but very small (38.00 small ?..it had better be tasty). I had a under-cooked and uninspired lamb burger (came with some weird little side), which at 18.00 should be so much more.