The Bachelor Farmer
50 North Second Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
NordicPrice: $31 to $50
The Bachelor Farmer
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebachelorfarmer.com/
- Phone: 6122063920
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Nordic
- Executive Chef: Paul Berglund
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Cross Street: North First Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A large public lot is available directly behind our restaurant, with access via North 2nd Avenue. Another public lot is located on North 1st Street between North 1st and North 2nd Avenues. Street parking is also available.
A word from The Bachelor Farmer
The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bachelor Farmer - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Bachelor Farmer reviews from OpenTable diners
370 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (302)special occasion (242)romantic (135)neighborhood gem (130)hot spot (124)notable wine list (104)vibrant bar scene (48)good for groups (36)great for brunch (29)late-night find (21)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- The Bachelor Farmer pleasesJeannetteDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed The Bachelor Farmer's Sunday supper after a show. The food was delicious and prepared with care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Night SupperjudyDined on 8/31/2014There were two choices--pork tenderloin and chicken. both were divine. The roasted tomato/'potato and cheese first course was superb, too, as was the blueberry cobbler for dessert. I highly recommend The Bachelor Farmer.Special Features:
- Absolutely fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/31/2014Had the Sunday night dinner August 31, and both selections were incredible. Wine list is unique and well chosen, service impeccable.Special Features:
- GreatMartyDined on 8/30/2014A winning combo of food, drink and service (ask for Eliza) made for a superb night. New, Interesting flavors and dishes in a relaxed yet serious restaurant. Reminds me of Fore Street in Portland, ME.Special Features:
- Scandinavian foodspacegirlDined on 8/29/2014You have to go in to this restaurant knowing you are eating Scandinavian food, and by its nature is bland. I thought the chefs did a great job with the limited spice palate they had to work with. It was "bland" food with a purpose. I would go back, but I don't know how quickly.Special Features:
- Scandinavian gemDpod3Dined on 8/29/2014Innovative approach to Scandinavian food. Very healthy, fresh and wonderful taste treats. Loved the bread and cheese boards. I am now in search of edible seeds to sprinkle on yoghurt, salads, cheeses. Thanks to Nathan for stopping by to visit with us.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Different in a good way, food was interesting. Waitress was excellent.......Special Features:
- noiselikefoodDined on 8/29/2014If you want to have a real conversation, you will find it difficult at TBF but not impossible.Special Features:
- The Bachelor FarmerMapleGrove2Dined on 8/25/2014Our meal at the Bachelor Farmer was wonderful! The server was attentive and made great suggestions. It was our anniversary and we were treated with a complimentary glass of champagne. The salmon and duck were great and wonderfully presented with their accompaniments. The chocolate sorbet with exploded wild rice for dessert was amazing! We will be back.Special Features:
- JackDined on 8/25/2014In my over 60 years of eating out whether in cities such as Boston, New York, Seattle, LA, I have not enjoyed a more delightful, bountiful, sensory and exciting dinner and service than the Bachelor Farmer. This experience was an unanimous feeling among my wife and two adult children. Just the anticipatory thought of returning makes my senses reverberate throughout and brings me one BIG SMILE :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the fuss about?BobgDined on 8/25/2014I don't understand the popularity of this place. Service was great, but food is unremarkable. When the menu is that small, the food should be outstanding. Nobody in our group of five was impressed.Special Features:
- Not the same old foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Minnesota/Scandinavian food has a well-earned reputation for blandness. Not here. Great attention to mixing flavors and textures. All good!Special Features:
- Entertaining visitorsCiciDined on 8/24/2014The food was fresh an deliciously prepared. The evening ambiance was really lovely.Special Features:
- GormetGuruGourmetGuruDined on 8/24/2014Had brunch for 6 at Bachelor Farmer. Service couldn't have been better - sat at appointed time and the server was great. The food was all we had come to expect. Started with "bacon on toast" which was really delicious pork belly. Everyone enjoyed their entree - I had great French Toast w/ peaches and syrup. Would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - very loudFHDinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is the second time we ate at this restaurant. The food was outstanding and the service very attentive. Unfortunately, the noise level was ridiculous. I could barely hear the people across the table from me. I don't remember this from our first time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My expectations were high and theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Experience met/exceeded my expectations. Impeccable service, exquisite food. Only the noise level detracted from a perfect experience, but will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic anniversary celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I attended the restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. Our server was fantastic, as was the food. I highly recommend TBF for a special event dinner.Special Features:
- First Visitmarin215Dined on 8/22/2014After several years of hearing great reviews of Bachelor Farmer, we finally made a visit. A really nice experience overall. I wanted a tiny bit more from them, I guess; thus the four vs five stars. It's a tough world out there, with so many new places opening; seems important to not lose your edge and "settle in". Seated a little late for our reservation...I know this can be out of a restaurant's control. Toasts were excellent and entrees were good. I'd like to go back with a more vegetarian group and try more starters, which were shunned by the meat eaters I was with!
- Good and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Our experience at the Bachelor Farmer was good. The experience was expensive, the food good, and the atmosphere casual. Of the three meals we ordered the duck was the best.Special Features:
- First trip to MinneapolisGriffDined on 8/21/2014We visited Minneapolis for the first time and the Bachelor Farmer was one of our intended destinations. While we did wait for our table for a bit and the bartender was less than courteous, the experience was exceptional. Our server, Joseph, was outstanding to say the least. The menu is well thought out and the food is something that I can only say must be experienced to be appreciated. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jkpeteDined on 8/21/2014Schnitzel was chewy and not flavorable. Salmon was only fair with watery vegetables. Selected wine was not palatable.
- Did not disappointfoodtravelerDined on 8/21/2014Great interior decor -- cozy, exposed brick walls, wooden beams. Food was absolutely delicious and great portions for the prices. Everything from the simple butter lettuce salad to the smoked herring toast and braised meatballs was extremely tasty. The roasted duck was by far the best duck I've had in years -- cooked perfectly. Great service and energetic ambience rounded out my wonderful experience visiting Minneapolis and the Bachelor Farmer. Would absolutely return for brunch, lunch, or dinner here!Special Features:
- 42nd Anniversary DiningquicktolearnDined on 8/20/2014We had a reservation for our anniversary. We were seated very close to a table of 6 who were loud. We had a great deal of trouble hearing the waiter even after the table left and another group came in. It was difficult to have a private conversation with the overall noise level. The food was great and presented well. I would like to have seen a second fish choice. Our waiter was exceptional. Not the best place for a nice, quiet dining experience.Special Features:
- Great place for birthday dinnerluiimDined on 8/18/2014Came here for my birthday for the first time after so many tries to get reservations failed. It did not disappoint. The server explained the menu well and was very knowledgeable and eager to provide recommendations, without a foodie air. Everything was super fresh and simple, which is what we like. Bibb salad was perfect size and popovers were buttery (great with honey butter). Probably could have skipped the side of chard because we had way too much food, but it was excellent as well. I had the "small" porkchop of which I was only able to finish half and my wife had the salmon. Both were excellently cooked without a heavy sauce and served on a bed of veggies that were amazing. Pricey for dinner, but for the quality of food, it was perfect.Special Features:
- Great QualityGustaveDined on 8/18/2014Great quality but very small portions. Nice atmosphere and great service.Special Features:
- TerrificDarryleVIPDined on 8/17/2014Always a great experience with terrific food and a knowledgeable, conscientious staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SundayLoudonRoadieDined on 8/17/2014We were initially seated by the entrance to the kitchen. The place was busy but there were still open tables. Our waiter happily moved us to a much quieter spot. She was also helpful with recommending a dish that was not on the usual Sunday evening fixed menu. The chicken was good - nothing too special - but everything else was intriguing and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnersuaveslavDined on 8/17/2014Unique opportunity to have birthday while visiting Minneapolis was amply rewarded. Three- course fixed price dinner : wiener schnitzel/roasted chicken; heirloom tomato & eggplant salad; creme bruleé. Quality ingredients accompanied by Austrian red vino made for memorable dinner. TBF building from 1890s historic character was plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday DinnereugeneDined on 8/17/2014Appetizer of tomatoes was very good. The Entree's were ho-hum. I had the steak for entree' which was very chewy. Broccolini was chewy. Chicken was just okay. Dessert, basically brule', was excellent. When there are only two entree's they should knock a person's socks off. These didn't. Parking during a baseball game is also an issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SupperSes535VIPDined on 8/17/2014We really enjoyed the sunday supper fixed price menu. Started with an heirloom tomato salad and then an almost schnitzel like beef dish and an almond and cherry creme brûlée to end. We were in a hurry to get to a Guthrie show and they were very accommodating.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Had a wonderful meal. Very great night out. I consider myself a foodie and will pay for amazing food. This was fabulous, but I did feel it was a little too pricey.Special Features:
- Limited AppealFoodieNightmareDined on 8/15/2014We had menu choices based on a mix of winter vegetables, chewy meats, flavorless sausages and vinegar. The lamb was horrible and had crunchy bones throughout. The process of getting wine is confounding and confusing like betting on a horse race. With slow to non-existent service it didn't matter anyhow. We opted for cocktails instead, and received the wrong ones. The ambiance was great, but there was so much noise we couldn't hear ourselves talking. Who knows? On a different night, we probably would have had better menu choices and a decent server, but we're never returning.
- DocwongDined on 8/15/2014Disappointed. Food was cold and tasteless. Paid too much for this quality of food...meatball dry. Duck egg not seasoned at all. Lamb was ok. Sausage too salty. Very disappointed for ours anniversary.
- Deserves its reputationPJ007Dined on 8/15/2014We brought our son and his GF here for his 24th birthday and we were very pleased with our dinners. The menu is a bit confusing but so many are these days. Our waiter was great and particularly helpful with the one GF/Dairy free member of our party. I wouldn't say every dish was a hit but overall it was very good. I'm less likely to return than I thought I'd be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKrisbDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I ate at this restaurant while we were visiting from Massachusetts because of all the favorable reviews. The food was delicious. We both had the market fish which was maybe the best trout we've ever had. Service was very good too. My wife can't eat sugar so they whipped up a sugar free treat for dessert. We will definitely return when we are in Minneapolis again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014Confusing parking lot. Needs better signage. Also, better signage needed for restaurant and adjacent bar.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerWinemedineme12Dined on 8/12/2014We had an excellent time for my wife's birthday dinner. Everything we ordered was great, beer, appetizer, entree, you name it. I found the service to be exceptional as well. The unexpected small snacks that the kitchen sends out were tasty and a real nice touch.Special Features:
- Finally a unique restaurantYiaYiaDined on 8/11/2014What a surprising food world. The limited menue was good because we want to try every item!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great drinks!MactheDogDined on 8/11/2014There is a decent amount of buzz about this restaurant and it is all very well deserved. Our server was very friendly and explained the menu and the some of the dishes in detail. We decided to forego the traditional apps for their "Toasts" menu and we split the fresh cheese board. Everything on the plate was thought out and delicious, it made for a great way to whet our appetite. For dinner my fiance ordered the chicken leg and I ordered their "chop" It was explained that they get 3 sides of pork (or pigs?) on Friday and they brine the chops for 3 days, and sell them until they run out. The chicken was served bone-out, and was fantastic. And the chop was amazingly seasoned. Great special occasion meal!Special Features:
- great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Took my wife here (and to Marvel Bar) for our seventh anniversary and we had an amazing time. Great food, great drinks, amazing service. It also sits just outside of downtown proper, so it is much quieter than something more central. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.