The Bachelor Farmer
50 North Second Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
NordicPrice: $31 to $50
The Bachelor Farmer
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebachelorfarmer.com/
- Phone: 6122063920
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Nordic
- Executive Chef: Paul Berglund
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Cross Street: North First Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A large public lot is available directly behind our restaurant, with access via North 2nd Avenue. Another public lot is located on North 1st Street between North 1st and North 2nd Avenues. Street parking is also available.
A word from The Bachelor Farmer
The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bachelor Farmer - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Bachelor Farmer reviews from OpenTable diners
350 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (297)special occasion (229)neighborhood gem (133)hot spot (122)romantic (121)notable wine list (108)vibrant bar scene (58)good for groups (38)great for brunch (21)late-night find (20)scenic view (7)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- New Nordic HeavenSes535VIPDined on 10/22/2014I've been to the Bachelor Farmer several times and it does not disappoint. Menu rotates seasonally. Pork meatballs were great. Cheese toasts were delicious and a very large portion (almost too big for the two of us as a starter). We had the chicken which was pounded out like a schnitzel and very moist and flavorful. Always get a pop over. Only complaint was that the pacing of the meal was a bit too slow for a wednesday night - we waited about 15 minutes between completion of appetizer and toasts arriving. Otherwise lovely service.Special Features:
- Love the BachelorHodgesVIPDined on 10/22/2014Research the menu before you go but trust that you will love it! The food is exquisite (though in some cases what might be called "rustic") We ended up sitting at the bar and we got plenty of entertainment value along with the food & drink. I had a German Pinot Noir (I rarely drink pinot, much less from Germany) that was quite nice. The pork meatballs, cabbage and cauliflower are to die for, truly. We mostly sampled a variety of items, all fantastic. We had a great time with our servers, Elijah & Zane--they truly added to the experience. This was possibly my favorite dining experience in Minneapolis. Do not miss it, SO SO glad we fit it in. Make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014The food was amazing. I had the walleye, others had the crispy duck, and the rolled chicken. The appetizers were delicious and we liked the cucumbers served at the very beginning of our meal. Oh yes, the popovers were wonderful also.Special Features:
- Great locationChrisFDined on 10/21/2014Great location with the added advantage of the speakeasy, great food, service was a bit variable and the meal took well over 3 hours which was way too long.Special Features:
- Great food, questionable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Everything was delicious, and the creativity was spot on - not too inventive yet not run of the mill - and seasoning was perfect. Note that the menu is not vegetarian friendly. Food is where the positives end. I don't think I have ever been humiliated by a waitperson before, let alone twice over the same issue. Twice he made me want to curl up into a ball and hide when all he had to do was replace a glass of flat sparkling wine. He also lacked basic understanding of food descriptors. Don't think I could face returning again, despite the excellent fare. Be prepared to be treated like an ignorant fool.Special Features:
- Quality performance all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014We had a waiter that knew his profession. He was able to help explain the dishes and made helpful recommendations, which is not the norm. The food was excellent. It is at the upper end of the Minneapolis price point, but it is also at the upper end of what it delivers, high quality, perfectly prepared, interesting and visually appealing food.Special Features:
- Business DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014I had a business guest in from out of town and brought her to BF. She was a bit skeptical, being a CA girl. she was blown away. thanks for service perfection and amazing food. I have been talking about you constantly for the last 3 days. See you soonSpecial Features:
- Family Supper never disappointsLinkDined on 10/19/2014We always go to the Family Supper when my son and his girlfriend are in town. This past Sunday they invited another friend whose 21st birthday was on the same day. The five of us enjoyed a wonderful dinner of beet salad, braised short ribs and a brioche dessert. The wait person brought an elegant after dinner drink in celebration of his birthday. The evening was a total delight. The only downside was our 8:30 reservations. We didn't get seated until about 8:50 then it took a long time for the food and drinks to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love TBFMzShutterbugDined on 10/18/2014This is our third trip to TBF and we continue to be surprised and delighted by the menu. The service is excellent and the pacing of the meal is perfect. Thank you for being wonderful!Special Features:
- The Best!!MinnJimmDined on 10/17/2014I am a Road-Warrior so I have eaten in Many "great" restaurants around the country. This is now my number one primo anywhere. At there for our Anniversary but going back real real soon. come early before your reservation and have drinks at Marvel Bar below and in back of the Restaurant. The Bartenders are the best and ask him/her to make you a drink by only you calling out the main ingredient. On cautionary note if you are a wine snob, I would check their corkage charge and bring a bottle of your favorite as there selection is limited. I had Lamb Chop and the wine they suggested could not hold up to the great food. The gave me a complementary glass Malbec but even that was a bit light for the meat. Wait Staff is attentive - A1Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014This restaurant has never disappointed us! Outstanding ambience, service and food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/16/2014The staff was incredibly knowledgable about the food, wine, and pairings. Overall, an incredible experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner EverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014I took my parents here while they were in town and we had an amazing experience. Every single item was delicious and the service was fantastic. They coursed all of our items and split some items for easier sharing. Staff was attentive, timely, and knowledgable. Really, just so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Supper!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/12/2014I'm still dreaming of the roast chicken and skirt steak dishes, served family style. Absolutely wonderful, along with the accompanying vegetables, dessert and little treats... & delightful service throughout our experience. And to top it off, it's an amazing value. Won't be our last Sunday night at Bachelor Farmer, that's for sure!Special Features:
- truefarmerDined on 10/11/2014It is a special place - love to take friends/family there for special occasions - it is unique and please keep it that way. One problem - I found reading the menu was difficult with the tiny candle - had to get out my smart phone flashlight. really!Special Features:
- The Whole PackagegoodeaterVIPDined on 10/10/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our Friday evening here. We started with a drink in the bar, then moved to the main dining room. Service was top-notch, and food and drink were delicious and carefully prepared. We recommend the duck confit as well as the nightly fish special. The food is unique among restaurants in the Twin Cities. My only complaint is that prices are quite high.Special Features:
- Fun evening outNfldGuyDined on 10/10/2014We dined with another couple on a Friday night. Our server, Miata, was very attentive without "overdoing" it - great waiter!! The food was inventive and interesting. We had a great evening of food, wine and conversation. Loved the half bottle of wine optionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very impressedgsjanDined on 10/9/2014We've dined in many fine restaurants and this one disappointed us. The wine selection by the glass is poor, so you are pretty much forced to buy a half bottle. Once a bottle is open, they write any available glasses up on a board. We felt they cheated the half bottle we chose to squeeze 3 more glasses out of it on their board. Cheap! The toast was not all it was cracked up to be. It reminded us both of store bread - nothing special. The toppings were good, but not exemplary - and for the price, it should have been exemplary. The dinners were both delicious - as expected. The "scoop of ice cream" that accompanied the dessert was the size of a hazelnut. No joke! I'd be embarrassed to serve that. Bill was $178 for 2 - not worth it!Special Features:
- Glad we finally made itLamefoodieDined on 10/7/2014Bachelor Farmer has been on my to-do list since they opened. Better late than never. We went for our anniversary, but we were sat by the kitchen and it was very loud, so I would not categorize it as very romantic. The server was wonderful, not too pushy, very knowledgeable. The food was great. LOVED the toasts, and my poached eggs were lovely. The Marvel Bar downstairs was gorgeous and uber cool, but the $53 bill for two drinks was a bit of a sticker shock. We just don't see $22 drinks in Minnesota.Special Features:
- Sunday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2014Based on this first experience, I would not return. Maybe it's the Sunday dinner theme, which sounded really good, however, it was disappointing. The soup had great favors, but it was lukewarm. Perhaps it was intended to be served this way. The main courses were fine, but the servings were small. And my dining partners liked the dessert; I thought it was just ok. I might try this restaurant again, but not for Sunday dinner.Special Features:
- Great service pretty good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/4/2014I have been hesitant to try TBF because "Nordic" food doesn't really appeal to me. To be clear, I appreciate an eclectic menu. I loved Piccolo, Saffron, Corner Table to name a few. That being said, many people have told me that the menu never looks good, but the food always is. I had the brussel sprouts which were delicious ( yet not any preparation I hadn't had before). I had the poached eggs with mushrooms, broccoli & cauliflower. Also good. My husband had Lamb he said was ok, my mom had the whitefish on toasts. All and all the service was excellent. I would go back if someone else was keen, but would not be on my top restaurant list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dude. Just go!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Being from Chicago I have a particular food platelet. The Bachelors Farmer is simple and delicious. The duck confit was by far one of the best dishes of duck I have ever had. The meat was so tender it fell off the bone without effort. Wine list was full of great choices. You really can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyLaughalotDined on 10/3/2014Great food, great service, great pacing to the meal and atmosphere. We celebrated our 11th anniversary at B.F., and will return again soon for more fun.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experiencedatenightrendezvousDined on 10/2/2014The food was excellent. We enjoyed everything we ordered which was the bib lettuce salad, the tomato soup, the white fish, the brussel sprouts, and the popover. The only issue we had was the limited dishes available under entrees. There wasn't much the both of us would order (we share everything). Do they ever change their menu? We will definitely go back but will probably only order starters and sides.Special Features:
- overblownMarilbooVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food was as if someone just put together whatever was in the kitchen. Only decent thing was the salad and desert.Special Features:
- The BestbusinesstraveldinerDined on 9/29/2014Our service was impeccable and the food was outstanding. Everything was perfectly done, fresh, and so flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/29/2014The food and service was outstanding. It was our first time there and we for an occasion (birthday) and it was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nite outWardDined on 9/26/2014Impeccable food beautifully presented. Smoked tomato soup was "want more and need the recipe". Bauhaus Wonderstuff Pilsner on tap so smooth and tasty. Busy Friday night but not rushed at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealNurjahanDined on 9/25/2014My daughter and I dined at Bachelor Farmer on a weeknight. The food was excellent as was our server, Mirat. I would recommend this restaurant that up-scales Minnesota food to anyone with good taste.Special Features:
- Outstanding meal!bc112VIPDined on 9/24/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Service is always exceptional and the food sublime. This meal was the lamb rib app, eggplant toast, and Savoy cabbage side. Can not wait for my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014Our dining experience was outstanding--my only recommendation would be to add more info to the menu (preparation, locally grown) Service was exceptionally good, food creative and well crafted. the opened-bottle wine service is a very nice option with Farmer's expensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance for Business DinnerFoodExplorerDined on 9/21/2014Recommend this place for mixing business with a little bit of pleasure. The food is prepared carefully, and each course may come out relatively slowly to allow everyone to enjoy and appreciate each part of the meal. This restaurant is ideal for those who are "foodies" at heart and appreciate the concept of cooking with locally-grown ingredients.Special Features:
- UnforgettableReenieDined on 9/18/2014Even though the portions are small (and that's ok with me), I took part of my dinner home last night. It was so delicious I wanted to taste it for lunch today. And I did, and it was a happy reminder of our anniversary dinner on a warm September evening in beautiful Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved, Loved, Loved it!asech01Dined on 9/17/2014Such a nice place, service was fabulous as was the food. Would highly recommend taking out- of-town guests here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were spoiledOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014It was rave reviews by everyone at our table! We were given spectacular service and savory food - what more could we want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Service was great, first time there, nice and quiet. Family dinner entrée, chicken, excellent; short ribs not so much, stringy, with lots of fat. Biscuits wonderful as was desert. Would return but will skip family style, order from menuSpecial Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014The care that was taken not only with the food but making sure we were all taken care of ,was noticed by all of us. The presentation of the different dishes was beautiful and the layers of different flavors of each dish was amazing. We aren't a family that dines out a lot due to the expense and just not feeling comfortable in fine dining atmospheres. We felt very comfortable here it was not to pretentious and the price of the food and wine was worth it. It made our special occasion a Very Special Occasion!!!!Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting dining experienceSChuVIPDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed our dinner for two at the Bachelor Farmer on a Sunday night. The Sunday night menu is a set menu of appetizer, entree (2 choices) and dessert. The service was excellent, the food was very tasty. We were there early 5:15 pm so it was not real busy but it was filling up by the time we left. I especially liked the watermelon and pepper appetizer.Special Features:
- DeliciousFoodFanDined on 9/12/2014We were a little early and they could not seat us so we took the opportunity to have a flight of whiskey at the Marvel Bar. Very fun place and fabulous on its own. Our food at Bachelor Farmer started out with tomato soup. It had duck confit and onion jam. Best tomato soup in a long time! I ordered the lamb and really enjoyed it with the veges that came with it. We split a lemon cake and parsley ice cream. It was absolutely dreamy. I asked the table next to us and they went on and on about their meals. I do not think you would be disappointed no matter what you ordered.Special Features:
- shawnTFshawnVIPDined on 9/11/2014Delicious as always! The service was amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.