The Bachelor Farmer
50 North Second Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
NordicPrice: $31 to $50
The Bachelor Farmer
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebachelorfarmer.com/
- Phone: (612) 206-3920
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Nordic
- Executive Chef: Paul Berglund
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Cross Street: North First Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A large public lot is available directly behind our restaurant, with access via North 2nd Avenue. Another public lot is located on North 1st Street between North 1st and North 2nd Avenues. Street parking is also available.
A word from The Bachelor Farmer
The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bachelor Farmer - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Bachelor Farmer reviews from OpenTable diners
348 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (292)special occasion (228)neighborhood gem (130)romantic (123)hot spot (118)notable wine list (108)vibrant bar scene (62)good for groups (53)great for brunch (22)late-night find (22)great for lunch (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Our server Charlie-made our celebration so specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Charlie was very responsive, professional, very thoughtful and efficient! Really the best service I have experienced in a long time. Special thanks to him! The food was fabulous. We enjoyed it all. Only suggestion was to have the popovers hotter when served. There was great style/beauty in the presentation. Can't wait to come back on pork chop nite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Service, Very Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Tucked away in Minneapolis is a gem of a restaurant. The food is good with a distinctly European flavor, there is an excellent wine list (two, actually) and the service is top notch. A terrific place for an intimate evening getaway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Sunday supper!ScblimeDined on 11/16/2014Everything was terrific and that is a rarity in my experience! I love the Sunday supper concept, family style service, limited menu so chefs can focus on every element.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotDinerDined on 11/14/2014Unique menu but everything we had, no matter how strange the combo sounded, was really good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastronomic delight!SatorialistaDined on 11/12/2014Fresh surprising cornucopia of flavors. Nothing disappointed. Noise level was civil: we did not have to shout. Waiter was knowledgable and unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SupperSirMacksALotDined on 11/9/2014On the whole, our experience here was stupendous. The service was superb and they accommodated all of my bizarre requests without hesitation. The food was delicious (the flan was not to my liking, but I don't like flan so it's hard for me to rate it down, especially when the rest of the dessert was delightful).Special Features:
- Great food interesting wine ideaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We took our daughter and her boyfriend and had a great time. The only negative was it was a little loud for converstation and a little dark for reading the menu. They did do a unique thing with their wine that I thought was great. Any wine off of their list that was not a wine by the glass you could buy as a half bottle. They only charged you half price and then put two glasses of wine on their board that they sold for 1/4 of the price of a bottle. It worked great for us. The food was great and we would go again the next time we are in Minneapolis.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We had a wonderful experience. Sampled many new food items/combinations. Would like to have more entree choices. Would probably make a meal out of appetizers and sides in the future. Would highly recommend as a special occasion destination.Special Features:
- Not so greatCatDVMVIPDined on 11/7/2014Had heard about this restaurant for a long time and made reservations two months in advance. Thought the menu was a bit forced and difficult to find something that made sense. The portions were small and overall felt that they were trying too hard and needed to make everything complicated-would not go back-bad valueSpecial Features:
- Highly recommendMspfeedDined on 11/5/2014The food and service were beyond expectation. The host even went out in the rain to pay my parking meter. (His idea). Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the food and wine. Great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceluv2dineDined on 11/4/2014The Bachelor Farmer is a "must experience" restaurant. The food is outstanding and greatly presented by friendly and attentative waiters. The premises are nothing less than fantastic - giving it a roustique and authentic atmosphere. If you haven't been there you have missed out on a great opportunity for a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014It's no question that this restaurant creates incredible food. What I was not expecting was the hospitality. Everyone that worked there seemed genuinely happy to be a part of such a venue and were consistent with their service throughout our visit.Special Features:
- Bachelor Farmer ReviewOysterloverDined on 11/2/2014The ambiance and food was amazing. Service was also excellent.Special Features:
- Good, not greatilovefoodDined on 11/1/2014There were four of us for dinner on Saturday night. The ambiance was great, the meal good but not worth the price. I was looking forward to trying The Bachelor Farmer after hearing such great things. The couple we were with had been before and none of us were wowed by the food this time. Based on this experience, I would not go back.Special Features:
- Autumn in MinnesotaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Our food and drink pairings were wonderful and were something we talked about into the night. It was a lovely autumn meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParkCottageDined on 10/30/2014Always have had a great experience at BF, this evening was no exception. Still looking for a repeat of that goose-egg potato standout, though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryTopwaterDined on 10/29/2014While highly recommended by one of our daughters, and having read about it, we were still surprised by the wonderful feeling and the tremendous staff. Our waiter Joel is to die for... The food preparation and appearance was nothing short of outstanding, the in house meats were extremely well made and seasoned,..the balancing of the "brining" and spices was great, for me, a bit on the wild side for my less adventerous wife, but the entrees were tremendously satisfying to both. Our 37th Anniversary and a great wow !Special Features:
- DeliciousmplsDined on 10/28/2014What a amazing dinner. The food was excellent, and the service was perfect. If you are looking for a nice slow paced meal, and do not want to feel rushed in and out, I suggest The Bachelor Farmer..Special Features:
- Lots of extrasMacgonkDined on 10/28/2014We enjoyed our dinner Tuesday evening. Loved the extra's brought out to the table for us. Radishes and butter/toasted crumbs, a takeaway sweet. Our favorite entree was the pheasant. Great attentive service too.Special Features:
- Fun place!StaceyTVIPDined on 10/27/2014So much fun to go here. The food is crazy weird buy you can find something to remember. Go downstairs to marvel Bar first for a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday supperPeggtDined on 10/26/2014Not enough food- the salad was very plain, the pork and brussel sprouts were good but not enough food to fill us up- No potatoes, the rolls were very small, the dessert was small. A very expensive meal that was not enjoyed as much as it cost.....
- Sunday supperStarvingDined on 10/26/2014This is a great idea, a 3 course Sunday supper! Just like going to a friend's house for dinner! It was delicious and we will go again.Special Features:
- One and done.CherylDined on 10/25/2014Don't bother. Food was way too salty and nothing special. Better off at Tilia or Wise Acre Eatery if you want farm to table.
- Over Hyped by still very goodDJLanceDined on 10/25/2014If I were to judge TBF on how well it matched high expectations created by it's hyped reputation, I would say it fell short. That's not really a fair standard of review, as it relies too much on my personal expectations. Briefly: The good: The Groaning Board, a menu staple, at $21 is basically their assorted meat tray, served with toasted bread in a fun tree like holder. The Groaning board is probably named such for all the groaning of delight coming from our table. It was easily the highlight of the night, and worth a trip back. The Ok:The menu is too small. Make sure you review it before making reservation so you know what is on the menu that week. The Bad: far too few beers on tap served in cheater 12 oz glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sisters Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Started our night at Marvel Bar for one drink which was wonderful! Very dark in there however. Had to use my cell phone flashlight to read drink menu. Then up to TBF.....Everything was wonderful. Our server was very sweet and knowledgeable. They accommodated our 'gluten free' sister and the rest of us had a great time dinner as well. will be back.Special Features:
- CharmingCharmingDined on 10/24/2014what a charming restaurant and yummy food. The historic setting adds to the charming ambiance. The food was very flavorful and fresh. The house wines very good. Service was outstanding. We had a great time and were delighted by the Bachelor Farmer. I would highly recommend this restaurant. We also stopped in the fun bar below the restaurant. Very hip, trendy and comfortable. Again great service and good house wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionRevSDDined on 10/24/2014Great special place to go. Excellent food, and they went out of their way to pick items for the two children that were along as well as for those who were glutton free. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/23/2014This is first restaurant I've been to that offered all it's wine by the half bottle. Then they sell the feast if the bottle by the glass. It really gives the diner greater options. It was an exciting way to celebrate the meal. The lake herring was perfectly simple with a generous be bed of sprouts that matched the simplicity of the fish perfectly. The service was friendly, just enough familiarity to make us feel at home. It was a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and creativityAgreatdealDined on 10/23/2014Go for the Food, Atmosphire, but remember not all wait staff are created equal. While the tables next to us were turned two times, our experience was less than timely. Good thing we all had lots to talk about because I think our guy basically forgot about us. Drinks were so slow and a chance for a refill was not offered until the wine glass sat empty for close to 30 min. After appetizers were finished we were not asked about dinner for at least another 20-30 minutes. The food was very fast once it was ordered and incredible. Our total experience was pushing 3 hours with appetizers , dinner and dessert.Special Features:
- treatDined on 10/23/2014The food was carefully thought through and well crafted. Service was informative and quietly attentive. No one called my wife and I "guys".Special Features:
- New Nordic HeavenSes535VIPDined on 10/22/2014I've been to the Bachelor Farmer several times and it does not disappoint. Menu rotates seasonally. Pork meatballs were great. Cheese toasts were delicious and a very large portion (almost too big for the two of us as a starter). We had the chicken which was pounded out like a schnitzel and very moist and flavorful. Always get a pop over. Only complaint was that the pacing of the meal was a bit too slow for a wednesday night - we waited about 15 minutes between completion of appetizer and toasts arriving. Otherwise lovely service.Special Features:
- Love the BachelorHodgesVIPDined on 10/22/2014Research the menu before you go but trust that you will love it! The food is exquisite (though in some cases what might be called "rustic") We ended up sitting at the bar and we got plenty of entertainment value along with the food & drink. I had a German Pinot Noir (I rarely drink pinot, much less from Germany) that was quite nice. The pork meatballs, cabbage and cauliflower are to die for, truly. We mostly sampled a variety of items, all fantastic. We had a great time with our servers, Elijah & Zane--they truly added to the experience. This was possibly my favorite dining experience in Minneapolis. Do not miss it, SO SO glad we fit it in. Make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DinnerNickDined on 10/22/2014The food was amazing. I had the walleye, others had the crispy duck, and the rolled chicken. The appetizers were delicious and we liked the cucumbers served at the very beginning of our meal. Oh yes, the popovers were wonderful also.Special Features:
- Great locationChrisFDined on 10/21/2014Great location with the added advantage of the speakeasy, great food, service was a bit variable and the meal took well over 3 hours which was way too long.Special Features:
- Great food, questionable serviceMissDeeDined on 10/20/2014Everything was delicious, and the creativity was spot on - not too inventive yet not run of the mill - and seasoning was perfect. Note that the menu is not vegetarian friendly. Food is where the positives end. I don't think I have ever been humiliated by a waitperson before, let alone twice over the same issue. Twice he made me want to curl up into a ball and hide when all he had to do was replace a glass of flat sparkling wine. He also lacked basic understanding of food descriptors. Don't think I could face returning again, despite the excellent fare. Be prepared to be treated like an ignorant fool.Special Features:
- Quality performance all aroundchaskaDined on 10/20/2014We had a waiter that knew his profession. He was able to help explain the dishes and made helpful recommendations, which is not the norm. The food was excellent. It is at the upper end of the Minneapolis price point, but it is also at the upper end of what it delivers, high quality, perfectly prepared, interesting and visually appealing food.Special Features:
- Excellent birthday dinner!almilouDined on 10/20/2014There were 5 of us (three generations) fro my mom's 70th. We all enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service. We were pleasently surprised how kid friendly the restaurant was for our 6 year old. She had the best grilled cheese and facy sliced apple. It was the perfect cozy spot for us and the noise level was refreshingly tolerable. Thanks for a delicious meal and perfect service!Special Features:
- Business DiningBEQ1Dined on 10/20/2014I had a business guest in from out of town and brought her to BF. She was a bit skeptical, being a CA girl. she was blown away. thanks for service perfection and amazing food. I have been talking about you constantly for the last 3 days. See you soonSpecial Features:
- Family Supper never disappointsLinkDined on 10/19/2014We always go to the Family Supper when my son and his girlfriend are in town. This past Sunday they invited another friend whose 21st birthday was on the same day. The five of us enjoyed a wonderful dinner of beet salad, braised short ribs and a brioche dessert. The wait person brought an elegant after dinner drink in celebration of his birthday. The evening was a total delight. The only downside was our 8:30 reservations. We didn't get seated until about 8:50 then it took a long time for the food and drinks to arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love TBFMzShutterbugDined on 10/18/2014This is our third trip to TBF and we continue to be surprised and delighted by the menu. The service is excellent and the pacing of the meal is perfect. Thank you for being wonderful!Special Features: