The Bachelor Farmer
50 North Second Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
NordicPrice: $31 to $50
The Bachelor Farmer
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thebachelorfarmer.com/
- Phone: 6122063920
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Nordic
- Executive Chef: Paul Berglund
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
- Cross Street: North First Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A large public lot is available directly behind our restaurant, with access via North 2nd Avenue. Another public lot is located on North 1st Street between North 1st and North 2nd Avenues. Street parking is also available.
A word from The Bachelor Farmer
The Bachelor Farmer serves fresh and simple food that honors Minnesota's Nordic heritage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Bachelor Farmer - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Bachelor Farmer reviews from OpenTable diners
366 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (299)special occasion (242)neighborhood gem (135)romantic (126)hot spot (122)notable wine list (107)vibrant bar scene (44)good for groups (33)great for brunch (27)late-night find (20)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- We were spoiledOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2014It was rave reviews by everyone at our table! We were given spectacular service and savory food - what more could we want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Family DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Service was great, first time there, nice and quiet. Family dinner entrée, chicken, excellent; short ribs not so much, stringy, with lots of fat. Biscuits wonderful as was desert. Would return but will skip family style, order from menuSpecial Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014The care that was taken not only with the food but making sure we were all taken care of ,was noticed by all of us. The presentation of the different dishes was beautiful and the layers of different flavors of each dish was amazing. We aren't a family that dines out a lot due to the expense and just not feeling comfortable in fine dining atmospheres. We felt very comfortable here it was not to pretentious and the price of the food and wine was worth it. It made our special occasion a Very Special Occasion!!!!Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting dining experienceSChuVIPDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed our dinner for two at the Bachelor Farmer on a Sunday night. The Sunday night menu is a set menu of appetizer, entree (2 choices) and dessert. The service was excellent, the food was very tasty. We were there early 5:15 pm so it was not real busy but it was filling up by the time we left. I especially liked the watermelon and pepper appetizer.Special Features:
- DeliciousFoodFanDined on 9/12/2014We were a little early and they could not seat us so we took the opportunity to have a flight of whiskey at the Marvel Bar. Very fun place and fabulous on its own. Our food at Bachelor Farmer started out with tomato soup. It had duck confit and onion jam. Best tomato soup in a long time! I ordered the lamb and really enjoyed it with the veges that came with it. We split a lemon cake and parsley ice cream. It was absolutely dreamy. I asked the table next to us and they went on and on about their meals. I do not think you would be disappointed no matter what you ordered.Special Features:
- shawnTFshawnVIPDined on 9/11/2014Delicious as always! The service was amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Around Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/8/2014I finally got to visit The Bachelor Farmer (TBF)! It was better than expected. Fantastic place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014excellent service, great food, very helpful staff, first time visit-will plan to go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2014We celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary. The food and service were five stars. The pork chop was the best my wife had ever eaten. They provided special touches. The ambiance was warehousey The price was four dollar signs.Special Features:
- well done!AhappyhostDined on 9/8/2014I was entertaining some people from North Carolina and wanted to give them a great impression of the Minneapolis restaurant scene. The Bachelor Farmer was the perfect choice! Excellent food, fun atmosphere and a wonderful waiter who provided superb service. Thank you for the perfect evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming back to Minn just for TBF!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Our first trip to Minneapolis and decided to try TBF for anniversary dinner - best decision ever! The wine, the service, the atmosphere... and the food - we had a 3 course meal and each dish contained perfectly balanced and complementary portions... and savory doesn't begin to describe how incredible it was. Truly one of the best meals I've ever had the pleasure of having in my life. I'm a fast eater, and I had to SLOW DOWN to enjoy every bite of this meal. Maple glazed fairy tale eggplant - where have you been all my life???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but fantasticFun2eatDined on 9/7/2014My wife and I decided on Bachelor Farmer for our 40th anniversary dinner. It was perfect. Food was 1st rate. Service was great. Our waiter and bar staff went out of their way to make a special non-alcoholic drink for the last course. It was a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- creiferDined on 9/6/2014This was our best restaurant meal of the year by far. Staff was excellent. Reservation honored on time with special details remembered. The food was spectacular! What a treat to try so many new things. Servers were outstanding in their knowledge of food and wine. Food was fresh and flavorful. The house made fresh cheese toast was just plain fun to eat; the Wieninleike and the lake herring entrees were both wonderful as was a side of tomatoes with cucumber and yogurt. Wish we lived closer and could dine here more often. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:
- small but mighty menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Who knew parsley ice cream could be delicious??? It was nice with the lemon cake and a rich cup of black coffee. I had the duck and enjoyed it and the vegetables served with it...all very good. The wine was international...French and German among others. The place is casual, but tastefully decorated. The buzz of conversation is there but not too noisy.Special Features:
- Fantastic!DeniseDined on 9/6/2014Everything about the dining experience, service and food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great PlaceminreviewDined on 9/6/2014This is a perfect restaurant for a special occasion. The food was delicious. My wife had the fish and I had pork. We split the Bibb salad; portions were adequate and the salad was very good. Service was outstanding. The server was informative and attentive. The noise level was low to medium and there didn't appear to be anyone trying to insinuate with loud laughter that they were having a great time. The lower level bar is also great. The crowd was well behaved and the service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be CarefuleatfoodVIPDined on 9/5/2014The place is very dark and noisy. Food is likely good, but be careful about the menu offering for the day. We had heard great things, but when we arrived, nothing on the menu look appealing at all. We had a quick snack and went elsewhere. We had the salmon toast, nothing special and way overpriced.
- excellent experienceirishfamilyDined on 9/5/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated an anniversary here with dinner. As TBF was a first for us both, we decided we wanted to try a few different things. Our server had great recommendations for planning out our evening in courses and was successful in suggesting a great, versatile pairing wine. Each plate topped the next, even the pallet cleansers between courses were fabulous! Overall an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 10ZulagerVIPDined on 9/4/2014Another trip to the Bachelor Farmer and it didn't disappoint - food was great - the service was very good but a little slow. Still in our Top 10 of restaurants.Special Features:
- Awesome Service | Okay FoodYumYumDined on 9/4/2014My husband and I loved the environment and the service. The food was just above okay. I had lamb and it came with a lamb sausage - weird combo. The lamb was outstanding but the sausage was dry. My pre-dinner salad had whole grains in it and was good but not toe-curling yummy. We'll give it another try because we loved the atmosphere and have heard such great things about it - we might have hit it on an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free friendlyGlutenFreeGalDined on 9/4/2014Celebrated my husbands birthday here. Staff was super helpful in indents dying at least 80% of the menu to be gluten free options with minimal alterations. Made it easy and stress free to eat there. Appreciated the waitress extra effort in celebrating when a small candle arrived at the table with dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MSPRMBalloonsovrtstillwaterDined on 9/3/2014Great food with local ingredients. This place is a MUST!! Will be back.... Many times. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely as promisedPaul2Dined on 9/2/2014Great food, the groaning board appetizer was a real treat to share. Duck was superb, heirloom tomatoes closed out summer beautifully. Marvel Bar too. Take an early reservation just to get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/2/2014I've eaten at TBF on a few occasions. Not only is the food wonderful (the Sunday brunch is exceptional), but the servers I've had are some of the best. In my experiences the servers are extreamly knowledgable, and attentive; while not being intrusive. It's the perect balance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Bachelor Farmer pleasesJeannetteDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed The Bachelor Farmer's Sunday supper after a show. The food was delicious and prepared with care.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Night SupperjudyDined on 8/31/2014There were two choices--pork tenderloin and chicken. both were divine. The roasted tomato/'potato and cheese first course was superb, too, as was the blueberry cobbler for dessert. I highly recommend The Bachelor Farmer.Special Features:
- Absolutely fabulous!RickVIPDined on 8/31/2014Had the Sunday night dinner August 31, and both selections were incredible. Wine list is unique and well chosen, service impeccable.Special Features:
- Super Sunday dinnerSageDined on 8/31/2014My son was in town and chose TBF for our after show dinner. I received a call early in the week to make sure I understood the format for Sunday dinner. The meal was fantastic, service was superb. We liked the choice of half bottle, but decided on a full bottle recommended by the server. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- GreatMartyDined on 8/30/2014A winning combo of food, drink and service (ask for Eliza) made for a superb night. New, Interesting flavors and dishes in a relaxed yet serious restaurant. Reminds me of Fore Street in Portland, ME.Special Features:
- Some of the best food in the cityBumbleDined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed our meal and drinks! Bar in basement is over the top but cocktails were VERY good! Fresh, local ingredients were evident aka tomatoes! Toast with toppings were tasty and cute! Duck and lamb entrees, although not, to my memory, very Scandinavian were excellent. We were ready for dessert but were given a bill without the offer of a menu?Special Features:
- Scandinavian foodspacegirlDined on 8/29/2014You have to go in to this restaurant knowing you are eating Scandinavian food, and by its nature is bland. I thought the chefs did a great job with the limited spice palate they had to work with. It was "bland" food with a purpose. I would go back, but I don't know how quickly.Special Features:
- Scandinavian gemDpod3VIPDined on 8/29/2014Innovative approach to Scandinavian food. Very healthy, fresh and wonderful taste treats. Loved the bread and cheese boards. I am now in search of edible seeds to sprinkle on yoghurt, salads, cheeses. Thanks to Nathan for stopping by to visit with us.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceFranklinDined on 8/29/2014Different in a good way, food was interesting. Waitress was excellent.......Special Features:
- noiselikefoodDined on 8/29/2014If you want to have a real conversation, you will find it difficult at TBF but not impossible.Special Features:
- The Bachelor FarmerMapleGrove2Dined on 8/25/2014Our meal at the Bachelor Farmer was wonderful! The server was attentive and made great suggestions. It was our anniversary and we were treated with a complimentary glass of champagne. The salmon and duck were great and wonderfully presented with their accompaniments. The chocolate sorbet with exploded wild rice for dessert was amazing! We will be back.Special Features:
- JackDined on 8/25/2014In my over 60 years of eating out whether in cities such as Boston, New York, Seattle, LA, I have not enjoyed a more delightful, bountiful, sensory and exciting dinner and service than the Bachelor Farmer. This experience was an unanimous feeling among my wife and two adult children. Just the anticipatory thought of returning makes my senses reverberate throughout and brings me one BIG SMILE :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's the fuss about?BobgDined on 8/25/2014I don't understand the popularity of this place. Service was great, but food is unremarkable. When the menu is that small, the food should be outstanding. Nobody in our group of five was impressed.Special Features:
- Not the same old foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Minnesota/Scandinavian food has a well-earned reputation for blandness. Not here. Great attention to mixing flavors and textures. All good!Special Features:
- Entertaining visitorsCiciDined on 8/24/2014The food was fresh an deliciously prepared. The evening ambiance was really lovely.Special Features:
- GormetGuruGourmetGuruDined on 8/24/2014Had brunch for 6 at Bachelor Farmer. Service couldn't have been better - sat at appointed time and the server was great. The food was all we had come to expect. Started with "bacon on toast" which was really delicious pork belly. Everyone enjoyed their entree - I had great French Toast w/ peaches and syrup. Would recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.