20 West 38th Street
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
AustralianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theaustraliannyc.com/
- Phone: 2128698601
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 12:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Australian, British
- Executive Chef: Fernando Quiambao
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Let us cater your next event! Our full a la carte and function menus are available for off-site delivery.
- Private Party Facilities: Our mezzanine is a private area with its own fully stocked bar and separate AV system. With a dedicated bartender and server, this space is suitable for private parties of 20-80. Our restaurant may also be hired out for groups of 50-70, or the full venue for groups of up to 200.
- Private Party Contact: Annie Morton 2128698601
- Entertainment: Happy Hour weekdays 4pm-7pm with discounted drinks and appetizers, great music & friendly service. Live acoustic music every Tuesday night from 6pm.
A word from The Australian
The Australian exemplifies the Aussie spirit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Australian reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great Experiencetaker1234Dined on 7/6/2014We came here twice on our trip to New York to catch up on the AFL while we were away from Australia. The food was lovely, service very friendly and the atmosphere exciting. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 27 reviews are from the The Australian reviews archive.
- Soccer HeavenjcmeatloverVIPDined on 6/26/2014Went to see USA vs Germany and this place is PACKED during lunch! Food is good, good selection of beed, awesome staff and service. Will frequent for good connection coverage and the great vibe :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soccer fanjcmeatloverVIPDined on 6/16/2014If you are looking for a place to watch the world cup (or any other sports), the walls are covered by TV in this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014Surprisingly good food. You don't really expect that in a pub but everything was crest and tasty. Attentive service despite a large crowd of State of origin supporters.Special Features:
- Great pregame, happy hournUfanLr182Dined on 4/30/2014Went to the Australian before a NY Rangers game for burgers and beer. Sat at the bar and had an overall great experience. Food: A. Beer selection: B Also I know from coworkers their lunch is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anzac DayWillyDined on 4/25/2014We were in New York for Anzac Day so thought this would be a good place to celebrate. Two Up was great fun. We wanted to watch a replay of an NRL game from the previous day and that was no problem. Great place will be back this week while we are in New York.Special Features:
- Nice Australian PubJacksonpollackDined on 4/5/2014Nice Australian pub with some typically Australian dishes like kangaroo steaks and meat pie. Food was pretty good and the servers pleasant and attentive. Nice bar and TVs for sports fans. I'd probably go back to watch a game and drink a beer while having some pub food vs a date night etc.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchKFKFDined on 2/11/2014I dined with a group of 5 colleagues. We were seated immediately and the service and food were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but...ShelleyDined on 1/10/2014We came for the kangaroo. They were out of kangaroo. The lamb that I had was lovely, and the mashed potatoes rocked. Still, I wish that I had been able to enjoy the kangaroo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good spot to watch the gamejcpinvaDined on 1/3/2014The food is average and very limited, but if all you want is a burger and a beer then tbis is a cozy little pub good for watching a game on the TV that comes with every table.
- The AshesCricketINnewYorkDined on 12/28/2013We went to the Australian to watch the cricket and it was perfect. TV's at every table, place was full and energetic. The food is average, your typical pub fare. I had the steak sandwich which the waitress recommended. I asked for medium rare and got well done. A variety of Australian beers are available. I would recommend the Australian to watch the game and have a beer or two.Special Features:
- Australian dining for sureJustinFDined on 12/25/2013Not the fastest service, just like home. Booking request of booth seating was ignored despite a two seat booth being empty 3/4 time we were there. Was seated at the middle tables where there is a noticable incline from back to front. Food was good though. I enjoyed the Christmas Prix Fixe set menu. Soup didn't taste like it came from a packet and the lamb shank on mash was reminiscent of a good pub meal form home. I was only there to eat but the bar looks like it'd be a decent hangout with friends for a beer and a game on tv.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Xmas lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013We were visiting from Australia and in NY for Xmas with my American cousins. We decided it would be good to celebrate in Aussie style. When we started to order our meals we were advised their was no chicken parmigiana , no carrots no beans and overheard there was no Kangaroo when a neighbouring table was ordering. It was very disappointing not being able to share a good Aussie meal lunch with your cousins. The lamb roast was very fatty, vegetables cold and the lamb chops were not served in Aussie tradition either. We ordered the sausage rolls as a starter and we all enjoyed those. Overall we were very disappointed especially celebrating Xmas in New York for the first time.
- GREAT food, service & experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013This pub was truly awesome from start to finish. My reservation for 15+ people was for 6, I got there an hour early and they let me go straight to the table. Everyone was nice, the service was incredibly fast and the food was also delicious. The happy hour menu had great options. I cannot tell you what a great time I had. This is my new favorite go-to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO CATSKSUcatDined on 11/30/2013Went mainly to watch a Kansas State Football game. Great hosts! Nice crowd. Good food. The Rugby guys downstairs really added crowd noise until that game was over. FunSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Aussie nachos with ThaiIvyNYCVIPDined on 11/23/2013The Aussie nachos with Thai chili sauce are great! They didn't have a few items on the menu, which seems to be the norm here. Good spot to watch football.
- Don't go during happy hourFirstTimerDined on 11/13/2013This was my first time here and the food was quite decent for a bar/restaurant that is in the mid-range price. Had a nice selection. I wanted to try something different and Australian food was definitely something new for me. The music and the TVs were extremely loud though and my friends and I had to yell to be heard, even though we were sitting in the back restaurant section, and not in the bar area. (it would be really great if the manager could make it so the speakers in the restaurant section could be lower than in the bar section) Service was a bit slow and we had to flag down a waiter/waitress almost every time we wanted to order, get the check, etc. But everyone was very friendly and the prices seemed appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aussie HangoutslodowyDined on 10/12/2013The Aussie burger was delicious, good selection of beer. The service could have been a little better. We had to wave down our waitress to get more drinks and the first round took a while to get to our table but the wait staff improved with our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay for a beer ...SuebDined on 7/28/2013Not so great for food in the back. Front has food neighborhood bar feel, booths in the back is so so.
- A group of us went to enjoyQLDerDined on 7/17/2013A group of us went to enjoy the State of Origin as it was the only place in NYC that were showing it. When we made the booking we were not advised of a cover charge that was required. They also were not serving alcohol until half way through the game. Noone could actually advised when alcohol would be served they just said they couldn't... Not sure if this is a licensing requirement for NYC, however if it is, then they should know the time when they can start serving. This wasn't a huge issue as we still would have gone, however it would be nice to know. Food and the service were great and staff were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go again!elp920Dined on 7/16/2013I was in town for business and met a friend who suggested the place. I was pleasantly surprised. Even though the menu online showed very exotic, once we got there we realized you could also order items for the less adventurous. I highly recommend the Austrailian nachos-the mango salsa was devine! They have a special that day of goat cheese risotto and it was delish! Prices were average for NY, and the staff was friendly and attentive. Next time I am in NY, I will stop again!Special Features:
- One of the best rugby pubsRugbyfanDined on 7/6/2013One of the best rugby pubs in NYC !! No vegan food options for breakfast though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Unique Menu even for NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2013From the Australian hostess to the kangaroo on the menu, The Australian was a great find in midtown. The service was terrific. With reservations they easily accommodated my group for lunch which included colleagues from the West coast. Admittedly I wasn't so adventurous with my menu selection, but the burger I ordered was absolutely perfect. My entire group thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and look forward to going back.Special Features:
- State of origin gem location!Lauren99Dined on 6/5/2013Great for origin one!! Go the blues! Make sure you book ahead thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good pub foodElCapitanDined on 6/3/2013Traditional pub fare that included wings, nachos, meat pies, sausage wrap, potato wedges. Servers were very attentive, down to the Aussie accent! They kept passing by ensuring you didn't have an empty glass. Thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceBethDined on 5/29/2013Ive been to the restaurant a few times. The food is great, especially the nachos! The service this time around was incredibly slow. There were 6 of us, and while our food came out fast (the nachos came at the same time as the lunches) it took almost an hour to get our bill. The waiter came over very little to check, too, which was frustrating since we had to get back to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectMarkusDined on 5/25/2013It was perfect to look the champions league final 2013!!! Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad service menChrisDined on 5/25/2013The first service men had no skills for guests. We asked for a better view for the TV and he lost his head. Very bad experience.