The Astor Room
34-12 36th St.
Astoria, NY 11106Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
The Astor Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.astorroom.com/
- Phone: 7182551947
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: The Astor Room offers a variety of musical entertainment from background piano dinner music to full bands. Please call or check our website for upcoming entertainment.
- Cross Street: 35th Ave.
- Public Transit: Subway: R and M train to Steinway St.; N and Q train to 36th Ave. Bus: Q66 to 36th St. and 35th Ave.; Q101 and 104 to Steinway St.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is plentiful during the week. Saturdays we offer complimentary valet service.
A word from The Astor Room
The Astor Room, brought to you by Chris Vlacich of the renowned Piccola Venezia, is located at the corner of the Kaufman Astoria Movie Studio. Descend the marble staircase to the mahogany bar in the original Paramount Studio dinner club where Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, and Rudolph Valentino once dined. Enjoy Chef Richard Pims' contemporary interpretation of American classics and Jerry Madden's handcrafted artisanal cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Astor Room - Best Restaurants in Astoria ›
The Astor Room reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (13)romantic (10)special occasion (10)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (6)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Late-Night TreatCrunchyFriesVIPDined on 8/21/2014My dining companion and I had a wonderful meal at the Astor Room. We came in right before closing time, though were never rushed and treated with top-notch hospitality. Everything was delicious, tasted fresh, and prepared perfectly--you must get the fried corn and try not to fill up on the yummy biscuits & scrumptious butter. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Tremendous service; great food!LouluDined on 8/21/2014We took a family group of 5, ages 22 to 76. The food appealed to all of us. The ambiance was Insta-worthy and the waiter JOSE is a true Astoria treasure. I will be back! Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth looking forGamma56Dined on 8/20/2014Found in the basement of the Kaufman Studios the restaurant has added outdoors seating on the newly created studio back lot. Cocktails are always imaginative and well prepared. Food reliable and the service always friendly but at times a tad overwhelmedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little PlaceMJY1112Dined on 8/17/2014I went for a first date brunch on a perfect summer day and it turned out to be a great time. We sat outside and the ambience was perfect with jazz playing at the perfect volume. After eating (and the food was really good btw) we went to the bar inside for a drink and there was a very talented trio playing live jazz. Definitely recommend it for a brunch, I can only guess that lunch or dinner would be equally enjoyable. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Special FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Our favorite place in Astoria. Has a speakeasy feel. Very 20's. A wonderful place to dine.Special Features:
- Old Menumiadris4Dined on 7/26/2014I liked the old menu better. I really missed the short ribs over pastaSpecial Features:
- Late night dinnerNickVIPDined on 7/23/2014The restaurant has a great ambiance paired with good food. Service was a little shaky at first but OK incomparason to other restaurants in the neighborhood. Fried calamari! Must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef.Aficionado747Dined on 6/28/2014Dinner was delectable. Service well intentioned but somewhat amateurish. Ambience very pleasant for a basement space (windows high up on the wall). The bar area is quite elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basement gemGamma56Dined on 6/15/2014A tad hard to find next to the entrance to the Kaufman back lot. Excellent cocktails and fréquent nice live music. Above average food
- Live jazz and brunch!oliviaDined on 6/15/2014Made a reservation for Father's Day Sunday, and despite being a holiday, it wasn't a madhouse. My parents at 60+ years old really enjoyed the place, as did me and my twenty six year old sister. The brunch cocktails were not that strong, but I did like that it came as a set with the brunch. Highlights of the brunch were the Donut Holes that came with different fruit preserves and cream, the Chicken and Waffles(best that I've had- the chicken was crispy but moist inside and the waffles were super crispy but doughy enough inside.) I also really liked the Crab Cake Sandwich. Would probably go back for the chicken and waffles.... though perhaps because a party of seven arrived just before us we had to wait close to an hour for our entrees.Special Features:
- MS1969Dined on 6/8/2014Excellent service and food. Highly recommended to others.Special Features:
- Classic setting for a great mealByroniousDined on 5/23/2014Went to the Astor room to celebrate my birthday with family. I arrived a bit early before my reservation but everybody there was extremely accommodating. A fantastic raw bar selection, and signature cocktails led to some amazing dinner entrees. I would definitely feel confident ordering anything on that menu and would expect excellent quality. The service was great. I am a sucker for when management takes the time to come around and check to make sure everything is going well. They really won me over. The only complaint to be had was the occasional fire alarm system that seemed to be going through a test and therefore had screeching alarms for about 60 seconds at a time. That may be a deal breaker for some if it happens again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but disappointedKatRocDined on 5/11/2014I had wanted to visit the Astor Room as it has a wonderful history. We planned a visit for Mother's Day Brunch. I live an hour away and my daughter near by . Nice decor, but smaller than I thought. The jazz band was in bar area. Good, but took many breaks. In fact, they played less than the piped in music while we ate. I had asked if the menu would be the same for Mother's Day prix fixe brunch, as for other Sunday brunches, also prix fixe. I was told yes, except the cost was more since mimosas and bloody marys were unlimited. Turned out not to be true, much less selection and not what we had hoped for. The tables in the band area where not set the same, some very nice with cloths others not. Food was ok, but overall disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Brunch. Just okay.MrshDined on 5/11/2014I was notified two days before my reservation about a price increase and menu change. The service was just okay. When you add an automatic 20% sometimes it feels like the service is less. The servers spent more time talking to each other than actually serving us. My food was delivered wrong twice. I paid for both plates just to be on the safe side and still didn't get anything. The manager never came by to inquire.Special Features:
- The following 283 reviews are from the The Astor Room reviews archive.
- great food. lackluster serviceNYCfoodieDined on 5/4/2014Wow. I was so excited to finally go to the Astor Room. The dreamy history is by far the best part. The food was delicious. I wish the service was good but it was so slow and no one ever checks in the table or asks if we want more drinks. We didn't receive our main "brunch stuff" until 45 minutes after we ordered!. I then decided to ts me my leftovers home and the server decided to throw out my truffle fries and just box my half sandwich. Really?Special Features:
- Lovely Jazz Brunch Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014My mother and I came to the Astor Room on the last day of her visit, and it was the perfect ending to the weekend! The food was delicious, pace of the two courses was just right, and the atmosphere was fantastic. We had the pain au chocolate and donut holes to start and then the omlette and crab cake for our mains. Everything was perfeclty cooked and well seasoned. The Bloody Mary's were nice and moderately spicy. We had a wonderful time and would recommend it to visitors and locals to Astoria alike! I took a look at the dinner menu online and am planning to come back to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix-fixe offerings are a steal.RoannDined on 4/20/2014The jazz brunch is a must-try: you get a mimosa/bellini/bloody mary, coffee/tea, one appetizer, and one entree for $23 per person. Definitely get the Astor Disaster if you're nursing a hangover. Reservation recommended on Sundays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Astor Room continues to impressNativeAstorian87Dined on 4/19/2014Between the delicious food, unique ambiance, attentive service and beautiful live jazz, it's hard to find any qualm with this Restaurant. We were a party of 5 out for my father's birthday and every member of our party was impressed. Cocktails are professionally mixed and I've yet to try a dish I haven't liked (if you're a burger person, this place definitely contends for #1 Astoria burger). Anyone looking to celebrate a special occasion or a romantic evening out, please head over here and give this place your business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnknownVIPDined on 4/19/2014Wonderful, unique atmosphere. Very friendly and good service. Attention to detail. Very relaxing and nice place to be. Live music adds to the ambiance. Matra d exceptionally pleasant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Went for Sunday brunch. Having jazz in the background was perfect! Food was really good too.Special Features:
- okAddyDined on 4/13/2014Been here a couple of times before but this time around I was not too crazy about the food. Good spot for drinks and Sunday afternoon music is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above and Beyond!MaXxDined on 3/29/2014From the moment you walk in, you feel like you have gone back in time, starting with a beautiful lady singing jazz that made you want to snap your fingers and smile. The servers made you feel welcome from the moment you sat down, to the moment you left. The food was AMAZING! We had ordered the Oysters Astoria, Pan Seared Scallops (Special of the day), Short Rib Stroganoff and a salad (Special of the day) along with a good bottle of Malbec. For dessert, we had the Rocky Road Baked Alaska and Nutella Crepe. EVERYTHING was phenomenal, the seafood was fresh and perfectly prepared, the short rib melted in your mouth and the dessert was the perfect ending to our meal. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSammie2007Dined on 3/8/2014From the host to the server to the manger! Everyone made my boyfriends 24th birthday amazing!!! Thank you all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Emily Is SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014We had a wonderful first-time dining experience at The Astor Room. Emily is superb! Judith Roberts, Patricia Randell and I love her.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but poor serviceKmoneyDined on 3/1/2014Would love to go again for the outstanding food. But the servers were not very attentive. We waited longer than 5 minutes for a drink refill and when our plates were clear the bus boy just stood there on his phone! It's a shame because the food is top notch as well as the drinks. I had the short ribs and my bf had the beef wellington, both were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- FIrst DateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014A great place for a first date. Its not over the top. and not to cheesy. Its a perfect balance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedgoodfoodonlyDined on 2/16/2014Music was great but service was lacking and food was average - better ops in BushwickSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Ambiancemapi480Dined on 2/15/2014My husband and I avoid doing anything for Valentine's Day but were looking forward to The Astor Room since it's where we held our engagement dinner March 2013. We dined here on Saturday 2/15. We made an early reservation (7:45pm) and were greeted politely and seated promptly. The service and food were great. My husband had the salmon and I had the striped bass. We also got the warm chocolate molten cake for dessert and though it says 15 minutes on the menu, it took less. We love the Jazz group, although the layout can be awkward, the sound is lovely without being obnoxiously loud. You can carry a conversation. The manager, Mark, greeted all the couples and groups and even brought out wine for some of the tables. I love this place.Special Features:
- Great Valentines dinnerGenianDined on 2/14/2014Nice atmosphere, good service, great jazz duo and pretty good food. The scallops were the highlight of our meal. Nice wine selection. Would like to see more by the glass options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated Diningsweet16Dined on 2/11/2014I felt like I was an old time Hollywood movie star. The food was great, the atmosphere was great and the service was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a great spot, and itRangerDined on 2/6/2014It's a great spot, and it has great ambiance. The server was very nice. He food was not good.
- Great Brunch!JennyDined on 2/2/2014Nice ambience! Great brunch, live jazz, and cocktail list! Yum! And our server was delightful! I'd go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Place to BrunchsouthernbelleDined on 2/2/2014When my daughter moved to New York we found the Astor Room and we go for brunch whenever we visit. The music and decor makes us feel like we've gone back in time, the food is excellent and the servers are very attentive. We've thoroughly enjoyed all of our meals from the burger, chicken and waffles, eggs benedict to the Astor Disaster...everything is excellent and it's become one of our favorite places!Special Features:
- lovelytonitrusDined on 2/2/2014I've been here for brunch before, and I have always had a great time - good service, good food, good music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Find In AstoriadrfsfDined on 2/1/2014My wife and I have been to the Astor Room before. We enjoy the food and the quaint atmosphere, but we particularly enjoy the music of the band which plays jazz and tunes from the Big Band Era. It reminds us of those now obsolete lounges in NYC where one could enjoy dinner, a drink and listen to romantic tunes. The food and service is good, but the main attraction for us is the music.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceBridgetDined on 1/18/2014This place was absolutely wonderful. The staff was very friendly, and the food was amazing. Being a first-time patron, I ordered one of their classics and was very pleased. You know a restaurant is great if it has been around for a long time... Highly recommend this place, and I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/9/2014We love visiting the Astor Room. We initially visited because we love the history and the vibe and keep coming back because of the service and delicious food! You haven't been to one of the best restaurants in the NYC area if you haven't been to the Astor Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There's definitely better out thereDiningDivaVIPDined on 1/5/2014I learned of this "gem" in Astoria through a Gilt City Deal that was forwarded to me. I must say that a multitude of corners were cut. For starters, I know for a fact that the "house selected" bottle of wine was something that I've on sale in a grocery store for $3.99 a bottle. Two glasses of quality wine would have been appropriate. The salad and onion soup were OK. As for the Stroganoff and Ravioli, they were just OK. As fro the dessert, we were appointed a creme brulee to share. I must admit that this was the most shallow creme brulee I've ever had. I must say that the presentation of a very limited prix fix menu and their insistence on sharing a sparingly made dessert was a huge turnoff. I'm sure I won't be back. On to the next....
- Daughter timeDEJ2Dined on 1/2/2014What a wonderful place. The food & service was great, while the character of the room & music set the stage for a wonderful meal with my daughter. Will recommend to all for aust stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerajv19813Dined on 12/22/2013the ambiance was great ! the drinks were outstanding, eventhough they took while to arrive at the table. I wasn,t sure who was my waiter/waitress as both of them were taking care of my table. The food was great my father and I started the Calamari which were tender and the beef tartare with thhe flash fried poached egg was perfect.for entrees we ordered the sea bass and beef wellington they were both phenomonal. Desserts were out of this world,the baked alaska/creme brulee. The only thing was the long wait between courses but we didnt mind,great food takes a litlle longer to perpare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.