The Ashby Inn
692 Federal Street
Paris, VA 20130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Ashby Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ashbyinn.com/
- Phone: (540) 592-3900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 9:00pm; The restaurant is closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef David Dunlap
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Inn has gained wide reputation for its weddings and wedding receptions. An ample covered patio, landscaped gardens and spectacular views offer one of the most beautiful settings in Northern Virginia. Our kitchen staff is both talented and imaginative--and enjoys working with clients to create special menus, ranging from country buffets to more formal dining. Please contact Sarah Storer at email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Storer 5405923900x
- Entertainment: Live music on Friday evenings during special summer hours on the terrace. Please check our website for details. www.ashbyinn.com
A word from The Ashby Inn
The Ashby Inn & Restaurant is fully committed to supporting the farmers and artisans that live and work in this region. Our menus represent the freshest, seasonal products that can be sourced locally from sustainable operations. The offerings will change daily in concert with what our local farmers and nature provide. Our pledge to you is to provide a quality dining experience founded on food and drink from sources we know and trust.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Ashby Inn - Best Restaurants in Paris ›
The Ashby Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (66)romantic (61)fit for foodies (57)scenic view (48)great for outdoor dining (45)notable wine list (40)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (20)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (9)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Exceptional meal.LJa111111Dined on 11/22/2014It is a very charming place and appears to date to the 30s. The food menu was quite unusual, but full of delicious choices. One dish (which I did not order) included an urchin based sauce topping. I had the black cod, which was cooked to perfection with a hint of bacon flavor. The presentation was beautiful, and the service was superb. The only negative was the prices seemed to be a bit too high for the portion size. (I've been spoiled by the Whole Food seafood bar in Fairfax).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014I told the waiter I couldn't resist the entrée item that had brussel sprouts. I was sorely disappointed when the meal appeared with brussel spout sprouts. I wanted vegies. I felt the meal was over priced for what we got. My pork belly was not very tender, which is the way I like it. The braised pork was very good. But, I am not ready to return for a meal. The Empire State South restaurant in Atlanta did that for me recently. I just had to go back the next night. The waiter said he would bring some more butter, which he never did. Those little things are important. We went out to dinner in Middleburg our second night in Paris with 3 other guests. Our meal was much more satisfying and did not cost as much. I know I am rambling, but I was disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high. Breakfast was great! I don't mind paying if the food is worth it. Overall, it wasn't.
- Outstanding Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014The food and service was amazing! My boyfriend and I came here for our 2 year anniversary and it was wonderful. We had a great experience and hope to be back very soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner and BreakfastGaryDined on 11/2/2014Started very poorly when I found out I could not order the chef's tasting unless my non-seafood eating wife ordered it also. I was really looking forward to it. My frown turned upside down when I had the excellent cold seafood appetizer and then the lamb. The lamb was THE best I have ever had. Even the breakfast that comes with the room was fantastic. Given the quality of the food, I cannot give them less than 5 stars. But I still wish the kitchen was more flexible. I felt like I was there to please them rather than the other way around. How hard can it be to synchronize the tasting menu with an entree? Manager just blamed "the kitchen." Great mixologist who proudly designs his own drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bettte than ever!jasmineVIPDined on 11/1/2014We love this restaurant. Consistently (though this doesn't make sense) extraordinary - every time. Creative, delicious, healthy, wonderful use of vegetables. Works for vegetarians and meat lover-foodies both. Undertated excellent service. Beautiful setting.Special Features:
- Always amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014We try to go to the Ashby at least once a month. Its a bit of a drive for us but always worth the trip. Great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween dinner was delightful!quantumdinerDined on 10/31/2014We enjoyed a wonderful Halloween dinner at The Ashby. The food was outstanding as in our prior experiences. The wine pairings were impeccable. This time we broke with custom and had dessert, which was well worth the dietary transgression. The Inn is wonderfully decorated for Autumn. inside and out. The wait staff was attentive and all our courses arrived simultaneously. Although not inexpensive, The Ashby is far less expensive and offers much better scenic views than any of its nearby five star competition.Special Features:
- Worth the DrivesuelouDined on 10/31/2014Great destination for a drive in the beautiful Virginia countryside. The fried chicken lunch was nirvana. Next time we plan to book a room so we can enjoy a wine tasting in the pub and sample more of the chef's amazing fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where is my food?SoutherngirlVIPDined on 10/30/2014If you have any appetite whatsoever, don't come here. The squash soup came by thimbles, the salads came by half portions, and the fish looked like a sardine. I left really hungry.Special Features:
- Had a wonderful timeLovethefall2Dined on 10/25/2014Food was well presented, tasted even better, great service. Wonderful evening. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Creative menuAUSgalDined on 10/24/2014We have dined here on several occassions, the food is consistenly good but we noticed this time that the size of food portions were much smaller and I mean small!! We were disappointed by this aspect of the meal. They have an excellent wine list and wine parrings are suggested to complement each dish. Prices were not in line with the meal sizes. Ambience is comfortable and welcoming, the wait staff is polite and professional.Special Features:
- Wonderful food; lovely settingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014The staff is quiet, efficient and knowledgeable and serve beautiful, creative and delicious concoctions! Every bite was divine. We brunched on a Sunday, which happened to coincide with the inn experiencing reservation problems. I cannot begin to express how professionally and warmly this was handled. The Ashby Inn is a delightful destination. You simply must make the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantic SpotFoodiee4LifeDined on 10/18/2014If you can't make it to Paris, France, then head for Paris, Virginia. The Ashby Inn is warm, welcoming and had wonderful food. We were a small party that ended up staying nearly 5 hours enjoying an amazing chef's tasting. No one made us feel rushed, we could truly catch up with old friends and share a unique dining experience in what is really such a pretty part of Virginia.Special Features:
- BradDined on 10/18/2014Second time we have eaten at The Ashby Inn over the past few years, and it was as fantastic as the last time. Outstanding food quality and presentation, great service, and a nice atmosphere. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- BlancheDined on 10/15/2014We had the Chef's degustation menu. Everything was superb! Perfect portions, exquisite dishes and excellent wine pairings. The excellent service made it a memorable event. Truly a world class restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The food at Ashby Inn was as good as Inn at Little Washington for much less $$. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Worst Service Ever!!VirginiaGirlDined on 10/10/2014Took day off with my husband and we drove to Paris, Virginia. We were looking forward to eating at the Ashby Inn since we had heard some good things about the restaurant. The service was absolutely horrendous! We walked in and the host saw us walked over and started talking to someone in the kitchen and we waited 10 minutes until we finally walked over to her and asked her if we could sit down. The food server was not any better. We waited a very long time to get water and a very long time again for her to get our order. We were never asked if we needed anything throughout the meal. We wanted more wine and had to flag her down. It was the worst experience I have ever had anywhere. We are Will never recommend.
- Love this country gemsecretcountrygirlDined on 10/10/2014Just moved from NYC and looking to celebrate birthday at country gem- we found it. Love the ambience, the scenery, and the food. I had the cod- I couldn't eat it fast enough. Love the soup and salad and vanilla bean cake. My husband loved his chicken too. Just the right sizes. Absolutely fresh and natural and personally made food. I've shared it with my family and friends. Will come back again.Special Features:
- Beautiful Ashby InnatsilvaDined on 10/5/2014Had a wonderful birthday dinner at the Ashby Inn. We decided to go with the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. Each dish was so beautifully presented and delicious! The wine was wonderful. The waiters were very attentive. It was a lovely experience. We stayed the night at the Inn and had a wonderful breakfast the next morning as well...very nice birthday getaway.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch.EZdinesoutVIPDined on 10/5/2014The Ashby Inn gets better every time we go there! Sunday Brunch remains the same fixed price ($45) but now includes a Bloody Mary or Kir Imperial. The Chicken & Waffles are the best on the planet, and now a generous portion. The chef is brilliant, surprising us with new tastes & educating us on new ingredients. Add the beautiful garden & view for a perfect day in the country. The manager & staff are always welcoming.Special Features:
- OutstandingAlexandriaDinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014This restaurant is a gem. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our brunch.Special Features:
- LovelyAgainesvaDined on 9/28/2014We had a wonderful brunch with good choices for our varied preferences. I had broccoli variations, salmon with gnocchi and a lovely worm struesel with ice cream. All were interesting variations and well prepared. Service was attentive but not intrusive. I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty DestinationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014This is an excellent destination restaurant. Whether you're out for a drive in the country, wine tasting or antiquing, The Ashby Inn is a superb stop. While the restaurant's cooking exceeds many on some of those notable Washington "lists" the peace, quite and beauty of The Ashby Inn make it the restaurant for others to follow. We've been multi-day residents at the inn for an anniversary, (where we sampled both dinner and breakfast) pop-in brunch guests during a motorcycle ride, and now week-day lunch guests. This is a great all around find. Don't let my 4 stars for food fool you. My only complaint is that I wanted more of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrationAtlanticcity3Dined on 9/20/2014The dining experience has always been great! A bit pricey for the amount of food that you receive (you do walk away hungry) but the staff, quality and atmosphere make up for it. The Beef Tenderloin great cut and enough for 2, the duck excellent needs another piece (4) to the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!mollyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We dined here on Sunday evening. It was a beautiful evening to dine outside and, though we heard the previous two nights had been very busy, it was a slower night. That allowed the wine steward and server to spend more time with us. The five course tasting menu was superb! The wine parings as well. I don't think we've ever had a bad meal here but this one was great. As the sun went down and we lingered over our meal, we decided there was no place better to spend a Sunday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch Clarke/Faquier countiesEatingXUSADined on 9/14/2014The Ashby Inn is a local restaurant....we have been searching for a regular brunch locale...this trip to the Ashby Inn was by far our favorite food adventure since visiting the Inn at Little Washington in May. We had the best table on the patio and the food was excellent. I started with curry sweetbreads with broccoli variations, extremely innovative and delicious...next was the chicken and waffles with a hickory-bacon caramel, last time I had this dish here it was good, but this combination was incredible. My spouse had the eggs Benedict with free range steak and topped with sauce choron...perfect combo..the coffee cake donut and vanilla bean cake topped with ice cream were a delicious ending to our meals.Special Features:
- Used to be betterEatsOutAlotVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I recently returned to The Ashby for dinner -- something we've been doing for a couple of years now, as a special treat to dine outside of DC -- but we've been disappointed the last couple of times. In the beginning, the food was exceptional and we were thrilled to have found it (especially because we could book a room and make a weekend of it, and it was better priced than our previous getaway, The Inn at Little Washington). Over the last 6 months or so, though, we've noticed that the food is no longer as special. The dishes taste simpler, less imaginative or interesting, and higher priced. There are some exceptions, of course, but overall, it just isn't the experience that it used to be. Perhaps it's a change in chef.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014The newly opened bar, is an asset! Corey was delightful and made great cocktails that were current and used fresh ingredients! I would definitely go to the bar again, I would probably not do the chef's tasting again- it was odd that the dishes were not related at all....the tomato soups were very tasty, the fish was great, the orange mousse was interesting, but seemed more like a desert. I would definitely order A la carte next time, the bar should implement- small bites - I would rather have dinner there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ashby InnAnnieDined on 9/13/2014This historic home is charming! The food was not at the level of The Goodstone Inn, but close and prices much more reasonable. The wine list was also not at the same level, but much less pricey. Overall, a wonderful destination dining (or lunching) experience. You must be prepared for the drive out there, but it's worth it!Special Features:
- Magnificent event.JAWSDined on 9/7/2014David Dunlap is a master artist when it comes to his prepared dishes, taste quality and presentation. Can't remember when we had a better meal. At the top of our list of places to return to. First class. The Ashby Inn staff were personalable, professional and knowledgeable. No question went unanswered whether it was about a wine selection of history of the Inn and the surrounding. A truly magnificent outting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall...excellentNeed2pleaseDined on 9/6/2014I can't think of but one negative and that was we felt slightly rushed. Our waiter was all business and seemed to be in a hurry to get us going with dinner. The food was outstanding.....couldn't have asked for a better meal. Presentation was beautiful. It was raining when we arrived and someone came out to our car with an umbrella. Definitely worth the trip from Fairfax county.Special Features:
- Exquisite place!YummytummyVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was our first time visiting the Restaurant. From the moment we got off our car, the general manger greeted us and walked us inside (that is customer service!) everyone was very nice and attentive and made sure we felt comfortable. We were there for lunch and we sat out in the patio which had a very nice view! Even though it was a hot summer day, it was not uncomfortable being outside. Food was very good! From the appetizer to dessert! I just wished they served a little more but since it is contemporary I understand the concept. Since the property also operates as a bed & breakfast, we wanted to check out the rooms for a future stay and the inn manager showed us some of the rooms and I can tell you I'll be back very soon! Lovely place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and DeliciousBeanBurritoDined on 8/31/2014We visited for our anniversary, I did promise to take my wife to Paris after all. We ordered the tasting menu with the wine pairings and it was very good. Several of the wine pairings were fairly ordinary but there was one white that really shined and the desert wine was exceptional. The food was very well prepared though the pork tenderloin, while delicious, was a bit tough. The chef was meticulous about the presentation and incorporated edible floral components into each dish. I was a bit skeptical at first but was pleasantly surprised by the depths of flavors. Our next visit will have to include an overnight stay at the B&B because the drive, while scenic, is a bit long.Special Features:
- Inconsistentfood4lifeVIPDined on 8/30/2014While the food was good and very creative, the service made the evening a disappointing one. Drink orders were wrong and the time between dishes on the tasting menu (which all in the party must order if one wants it) averaged 20 minutes. Wine pairings came well before the food, so that if you weren't careful, you had nothing to drink with the food. Options to dishes on the tasting menu were not offered, although we were told after that there were other options. And when we questioned a dish, we were chastised that "this dish is going to be submitted for the James Beard award." When I'm spending that much money, I don't need to be chastised. Upside was the beautiful location on a lovely summer evening.Special Features:
- NotAChefVIPDined on 8/27/2014Extraordinary doesn't even begin to describe the experience at The Ashby Inn. We selected the multiple course tasting menu with wine pairings. Every course was better than the last and the wines were some of the best we've tried anywhere. Kudos to this gorgeous place on the new chef's menu. We will return again ... and again.Special Features:
- They're baaaaack!!!CAP137Dined on 8/24/2014Once upon a time The Ashby Inn was one of our all time favorites... until we had several disappointments and stopped going. Well, we went back this past Sunday and am so glad we did! They are back... big time... and better than ever!! Just can't say enough and will run out of adjectives so suffice it to say that from the greeting to the bloody Mary through the 3 course fixed price brunch it was absolutely PERFECT! NOTHING was amiss. I wish it wasn't an hour + drive out of Alexandria as we would do brunch there a couple times a month. If you are looking for a truly magnificent brunch in the Virginia countryside this is the place.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014The Winchester area has some fine eating establishments. We have been to the area before but never to the Ashby. What a wonderful surprise. The weather was nice so we ate outside on the patio. Where everyone else was. The evening air and view was serene. With a wonderful selection of wine our evening was off to a terrific start. The Fresh Garden Vegetable salad was creatively service and full of favor. My main course, Grilled Pork was also very good with lots of tasty adornments. We had the Basil Freddo dessert which we shared and it was excellent. Overall a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful "discovery"GolfVinGuyVIPDined on 8/13/2014We'd heard about the Ashby Inn for several years but had never made the trip (~1 hr) to dine. Sorry we waited so long. The menu while short was nice with some variation. Wine list was a little pricey but had decent variation for a venue of this size. The dishes were superb. Great presentation, excellent flavors and all prepared perfectly. Dessert was wonderful. The patio was splendid the evening we were there. Great view, nice breeze and quiet for good conversation and relaxing. A wonderful experience and we'll definitely return. Will seriously think about spending the night rather than driving home though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD but Could Be BetterMore2DoDined on 8/8/2014Great view and lovely swtting. A real gem as far as ambience goes. Unfortunately, while the food was good and the presentation was also very appealing, the amont of food was inadequate, particularly when compared to the price you pay. When you pay nearly $250 for two you don't expect to have to fill-up on bread and rolls. I realize it is fashionable to have small portions, but not everyone has the appetite of a fashion model, and some of us actually expect to be satisfied when we pay so much for dinner. Another problem is that while leisurely service can be welcome, the length of time between the appetizer and entre was entirely too long. Overall if this restaurant wants to be a real go to destination it will need to addess these issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing. Great food and ambience.FoodEscapeDined on 8/8/2014If you are looking for a relaxing and romantic dinner in a beautiful setting this is the place for you. I have not had a relaxing meal like this in a very long time. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive. The outside setting with views of the pastures (including cows on the side of the Blue Ridge) could not have been more bucolic. It is a little on the expensive side so this is more of a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.