The Ashby Inn
692 Federal Street
Paris, VA 20130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Ashby Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ashbyinn.com/
- Phone: 5405923900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 9:00pm; The restaurant is closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef David Dunlap
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Inn has gained wide reputation for its weddings and wedding receptions. An ample covered patio, landscaped gardens and spectacular views offer one of the most beautiful settings in Northern Virginia. Our kitchen staff is both talented and imaginative--and enjoys working with clients to create special menus, ranging from country buffets to more formal dining. Please contact Sarah Storer at email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Storer 5405923900x
- Entertainment: Live music on Friday evenings during special summer hours on the terrace. Please check our website for details. www.ashbyinn.com
A word from The Ashby Inn
The Ashby Inn & Restaurant is fully committed to supporting the farmers and artisans that live and work in this region. Our menus represent the freshest, seasonal products that can be sourced locally from sustainable operations. The offerings will change daily in concert with what our local farmers and nature provide. Our pledge to you is to provide a quality dining experience founded on food and drink from sources we know and trust.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Ashby Inn - Best Restaurants in Paris ›
The Ashby Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (55)romantic (54)scenic view (51)great for outdoor dining (49)fit for foodies (44)notable wine list (33)great for brunch (20)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great restaurant!mollyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We dined here on Sunday evening. It was a beautiful evening to dine outside and, though we heard the previous two nights had been very busy, it was a slower night. That allowed the wine steward and server to spend more time with us. The five course tasting menu was superb! The wine parings as well. I don't think we've ever had a bad meal here but this one was great. As the sun went down and we lingered over our meal, we decided there was no place better to spend a Sunday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch Clarke/Faquier countiesEatingXUSADined on 9/14/2014The Ashby Inn is a local restaurant....we have been searching for a regular brunch locale...this trip to the Ashby Inn was by far our favorite food adventure since visiting the Inn at Little Washington in May. We had the best table on the patio and the food was excellent. I started with curry sweetbreads with broccoli variations, extremely innovative and delicious...next was the chicken and waffles with a hickory-bacon caramel, last time I had this dish here it was good, but this combination was incredible. My spouse had the eggs Benedict with free range steak and topped with sauce choron...perfect combo..the coffee cake donut and vanilla bean cake topped with ice cream were a delicious ending to our meals.Special Features:
- Used to be betterEatsOutAlotVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I recently returned to The Ashby for dinner -- something we've been doing for a couple of years now, as a special treat to dine outside of DC -- but we've been disappointed the last couple of times. In the beginning, the food was exceptional and we were thrilled to have found it (especially because we could book a room and make a weekend of it, and it was better priced than our previous getaway, The Inn at Little Washington). Over the last 6 months or so, though, we've noticed that the food is no longer as special. The dishes taste simpler, less imaginative or interesting, and higher priced. There are some exceptions, of course, but overall, it just isn't the experience that it used to be. Perhaps it's a change in chef.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014The newly opened bar, is an asset! Corey was delightful and made great cocktails that were current and used fresh ingredients! I would definitely go to the bar again, I would probably not do the chef's tasting again- it was odd that the dishes were not related at all....the tomato soups were very tasty, the fish was great, the orange mousse was interesting, but seemed more like a desert. I would definitely order A la carte next time, the bar should implement- small bites - I would rather have dinner there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ashby InnAnnieDined on 9/13/2014This historic home is charming! The food was not at the level of The Goodstone Inn, but close and prices much more reasonable. The wine list was also not at the same level, but much less pricey. Overall, a wonderful destination dining (or lunching) experience. You must be prepared for the drive out there, but it's worth it!Special Features:
- Magnificent event.JAWSDined on 9/7/2014David Dunlap is a master artist when it comes to his prepared dishes, taste quality and presentation. Can't remember when we had a better meal. At the top of our list of places to return to. First class. The Ashby Inn staff were personalable, professional and knowledgeable. No question went unanswered whether it was about a wine selection of history of the Inn and the surrounding. A truly magnificent outting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall...excellentNeed2pleaseDined on 9/6/2014I can't think of but one negative and that was we felt slightly rushed. Our waiter was all business and seemed to be in a hurry to get us going with dinner. The food was outstanding.....couldn't have asked for a better meal. Presentation was beautiful. It was raining when we arrived and someone came out to our car with an umbrella. Definitely worth the trip from Fairfax county.Special Features:
- Exquisite place!YummytummyVIPDined on 9/6/2014It was our first time visiting the Restaurant. From the moment we got off our car, the general manger greeted us and walked us inside (that is customer service!) everyone was very nice and attentive and made sure we felt comfortable. We were there for lunch and we sat out in the patio which had a very nice view! Even though it was a hot summer day, it was not uncomfortable being outside. Food was very good! From the appetizer to dessert! I just wished they served a little more but since it is contemporary I understand the concept. Since the property also operates as a bed & breakfast, we wanted to check out the rooms for a future stay and the inn manager showed us some of the rooms and I can tell you I'll be back very soon! Lovely place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistentfood4lifeVIPDined on 8/30/2014While the food was good and very creative, the service made the evening a disappointing one. Drink orders were wrong and the time between dishes on the tasting menu (which all in the party must order if one wants it) averaged 20 minutes. Wine pairings came well before the food, so that if you weren't careful, you had nothing to drink with the food. Options to dishes on the tasting menu were not offered, although we were told after that there were other options. And when we questioned a dish, we were chastised that "this dish is going to be submitted for the James Beard award." When I'm spending that much money, I don't need to be chastised. Upside was the beautiful location on a lovely summer evening.Special Features:
- NotAChefVIPDined on 8/27/2014Extraordinary doesn't even begin to describe the experience at The Ashby Inn. We selected the multiple course tasting menu with wine pairings. Every course was better than the last and the wines were some of the best we've tried anywhere. Kudos to this gorgeous place on the new chef's menu. We will return again ... and again.Special Features:
- They're baaaaack!!!CAP137Dined on 8/24/2014Once upon a time The Ashby Inn was one of our all time favorites... until we had several disappointments and stopped going. Well, we went back this past Sunday and am so glad we did! They are back... big time... and better than ever!! Just can't say enough and will run out of adjectives so suffice it to say that from the greeting to the bloody Mary through the 3 course fixed price brunch it was absolutely PERFECT! NOTHING was amiss. I wish it wasn't an hour + drive out of Alexandria as we would do brunch there a couple times a month. If you are looking for a truly magnificent brunch in the Virginia countryside this is the place.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014The Winchester area has some fine eating establishments. We have been to the area before but never to the Ashby. What a wonderful surprise. The weather was nice so we ate outside on the patio. Where everyone else was. The evening air and view was serene. With a wonderful selection of wine our evening was off to a terrific start. The Fresh Garden Vegetable salad was creatively service and full of favor. My main course, Grilled Pork was also very good with lots of tasty adornments. We had the Basil Freddo dessert which we shared and it was excellent. Overall a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful "discovery"GolfVinGuyDined on 8/13/2014We'd heard about the Ashby Inn for several years but had never made the trip (~1 hr) to dine. Sorry we waited so long. The menu while short was nice with some variation. Wine list was a little pricey but had decent variation for a venue of this size. The dishes were superb. Great presentation, excellent flavors and all prepared perfectly. Dessert was wonderful. The patio was splendid the evening we were there. Great view, nice breeze and quiet for good conversation and relaxing. A wonderful experience and we'll definitely return. Will seriously think about spending the night rather than driving home though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD but Could Be BetterMore2DoDined on 8/8/2014Great view and lovely swtting. A real gem as far as ambience goes. Unfortunately, while the food was good and the presentation was also very appealing, the amont of food was inadequate, particularly when compared to the price you pay. When you pay nearly $250 for two you don't expect to have to fill-up on bread and rolls. I realize it is fashionable to have small portions, but not everyone has the appetite of a fashion model, and some of us actually expect to be satisfied when we pay so much for dinner. Another problem is that while leisurely service can be welcome, the length of time between the appetizer and entre was entirely too long. Overall if this restaurant wants to be a real go to destination it will need to addess these issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing. Great food and ambience.FoodEscapeDined on 8/8/2014If you are looking for a relaxing and romantic dinner in a beautiful setting this is the place for you. I have not had a relaxing meal like this in a very long time. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive. The outside setting with views of the pastures (including cows on the side of the Blue Ridge) could not have been more bucolic. It is a little on the expensive side so this is more of a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Service, food and presentation exemplary. Chef imaginative. Food incredibly fresh. Beautiful setting. Well worth the money and less than one hour from DC Beltway. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had no idea this place was there!TomNVIPDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I were planning to eat in Leesburg or Reston but then she mentioned something about a place out near Sky Meadows off route 50. I was a bit skeptical but figured that it could be interesting to try out. It was a great evening sitting out on the terrace at a small table overlooking the attractive yard looking up alongside the mountain just after a summer rainfall with fog clinging to the hillsides. The food selections were quite good and presentation surprisingly sophisticated vs. what we had expected. It seems that the cooking staff is very well trained and creative. We were there on an off-night (mid-week) from a crowd standpoint but frankly that was perfect. A bit more pricey than we had expected BUT well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remembrance of things pasthappyeaterVIPDined on 8/3/2014We were greeted by our server Jamie who remembered us from a neighboring inn two years ago. She was delightful as was the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnerDonHVIPDined on 8/2/2014The staff was very friendly and attentive. The dishes were creative and delicious. My wife's entrée looked like a piece of art. The sommelier was quite helpful as well. It is 90 minutes away from our home, so definitely a special occasion sort of place, but the village of Paris in lovely and the countryside is beautiful, so makes for a great weekend getaway.Special Features:
- Always a lovely dining experienceFoodloveVIPDined on 8/2/2014Love sitting on the patio for dinner on a nice evening. Food is very, very good and presentation is gorgeous. Each dish plated like a work of art. We enjoy coming here for special occasions, and from the looks of most of the other diners (jackets on men, dresses on ladies), others do as well, though there were a few in much more casual attire. Upscale dining in the beautiful Virginia countryside; not inexpensive.Special Features:
- Very Good BUT...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014The food tasted excellent but the portion sizes were disappointingly small for the prices.Special Features:
- We'll be backmikeDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful drive to the Ashby Inn. The Inn itself brings back bygone days. Food and service were first rate. The grounds were perfect to just sit or take a peaceful walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch in the country.EZdinesoutVIPDined on 7/27/2014We had a terrific brunch here last Sunday! The food has alw3ays been wonderful but the portions are bigger now. Chef Dunlop makes beautiful, delicious dishes. Notably, the chicken & waffles and the Croque Madame. Our servers are fabulous & Eric, the manager/sommelier was very attentive & knowledgeable. We had our favorite patio table with a view of the garden on a perfect day.Cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- Simply the best!chucker44Dined on 7/26/2014The Ashby Inn provided one of, if not the most, enjoyable and memorable dining experiences I have ever encountered. Having been in the Washington Metro area my entire life, I have had the privilege of dining at some of the finest venues in the area. The entire experience, from the courtesy confirmation call prior to our arrival combined with the sustained superb service throughout the meal, made for a most pleasurable experience. Combine this with the beautiful scenery of Paris, VA and you have an experience that must be experienced to believe. The wait-staff even arranged for us to take our coffee and dessert in the gardens so that we could enjoy the breathtaking view that is afforded at sunset. We will return soon for certain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but tasty lunch menuParrotMomVIPDined on 7/25/2014Gorgeous outdoor seating and excellent service. The food was quite good, quality vs quantity unlike many American restaurants, but the selection was quite limited. The beautiful outdoor view helped make the meal an experience.Special Features:
- Delightful Lunch at Ashby InnDineout1Dined on 7/25/2014Our party of four had a delightful lunch on the outside patio at the Ashby Inn. We had seared salmon, buttermilk fried chicken and the croque monsieurs. The homemade bread was excellent. The wine pairings and the beer choices were also excellent. Service was attentive yet subtle and relaxed. We will go again.Special Features:
- Roy KriegerquantumdinerDined on 7/18/2014An outstanding dining experience on my 60th birthday. We had the chef's tasting menu to which he added two additional courses when he learned of the special occasion for a total of nine courses over 2.5 hours. However, the portions were exactly the proper size to avoid gluttony. The service was perfect with all dishes for each course arriving simultaneously. The sommelier's wine pairing suggestions were ideal and his knowledge of wine encyclopedic. Apparently he recently joined The Ashby staff from the Williamsburg Inn. The outside accommodations were more than comfortable and the early evening view majestic.Special Features:
- Ashby InnAshbyExcellenceDined on 6/28/2014Beautiful location overlooking rolling hills of Paris, VA. The service and food was superior - among the best I've had in the North Atlantic region. Top-notch chef creates culinary combinations that tickle, tease and satisfy the palate. Wine list was spectacular and the pairings perfect. I would recommend for any romantic occasion - ours was wedding anniversary. Next time we may even spend a night at the inn following the perfect dinner on the terrace.Special Features:
- Great place to bring your spouseChrisDined on 6/28/2014The first time I brought my wife to Ashby, we were not sure what to expect. The chef had gotten some great write ups so we were excited. We found out that it was all true! The presentation is among the best that I've ever seen. He uses a lot of colorful edible flowers that make the dishes very pretty. Creativity is good and flavor is about as good as you will find around the DC area. Pick a nice evening and sit out on the terrace overlooking the mountains. They will have soft live guitar playing in the back ground and you will be happy you went :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my review titleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Amazing place, very accommodating and polite staff, beautiful building, comfortable seating, food was delicious from the appetizers to the honey butter on the bread and the main course to the desert...very creative and paired perfectly with their respective wines. Top notch sommelier. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerIrisheyesDined on 6/22/2014Wonderful meal, excellent service. Celebrating 44 years of marriage at this beautiful Virginia countryside restaurant. Dined outside on the patio. Could not have been any nicer !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentnorthcoast1Dined on 6/20/2014Entering the outdoor patio through the beautiful perennial gardens sets the stage for the evening. Beautiful slate patio, candlelit lanterns and slowly turning ceiling fans create a perfect spot for dinner. The service could not have been better; attentive but not annoying. Eli, our server, was very knowledgeable about the dishes and where they were sourced. The salmon and cod which we ordered were flown in fresh the day before, perfect. The miso glazed cod was amazing, the salmon with glazed fennel was so good I wish I had gotten one to go. The pickled beet salad had a horseradish cream that I almost inhaled. The sommelier, stuart, brought us wines that had us asking for more. The desserts? O m g, with humboldt fog cheese, the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!quantumdinerDined on 6/20/2014We were greeted promptly and courteously, and offered our choice of outdoor or indoor seating. We chose the outdoor section which offered a tranquil view of Virginia countryside. The sommelier presented the extensive wine list and noted that although selected wine-food pairings were offered on the menu he would be pleased to suggest additional choices from the wine list. We chose the pairings and were treated to excellent selections. Service was prompt and courteous, and the food was delicious. This was our second visit which also was outstanding and demonstrated welcome consistency. Although we live nearby the experience would be well worth the drive from DC proper.Special Features:
- qualityDWilliamDined on 6/14/2014Each visit to the Ashby Inn demonstrates the high quality of this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/11/2014A delightful evening out at The Ashby! The food was scrumptous and Bernie was fantastic, as always. Kudos to Chef Dunlap and his team!Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/11/2014We first visited Ashby in 2010. It was wonderful--we loved it. It became our place to go for special celebrations. We ate there last year and were very disappointed but figured it was a one time anomaly. We ate there this week and decided we do not need to return. The food was merely "okay" and at those prices I would expect more. It has become too pretentious and trying too hard. The portions were very small--we had a full 3 courses and did not feel "full." Wanted a dessert but did not like any of the choices on the regular menu--however, had noted a dessert on the tasting menu that would have been preferable. I asked if that was possible and was told no--should have asked to speak to the chef or manager. Chipped dinner plate too
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Don't know of a better place to have an anniversary dinner! The food was incredible and all who served us were very helpful. We enjoyed the outside dinning on the patio. We look forward to bringing friends out to enjoy the same experience we had.Special Features:
- A quiet, romantic trip to ParisJoeMDined on 5/30/2014We love the Ashby Inn and choose it for special occasions. The view is beautiful and we usually sit in the patio area but due to weather concerns, the patio was closed. This was our first visit to the inside dining room and we were not disappointed. I doubt you will find these menu items anywhere else. We look forward to seeing what new menu offerings will greet us each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ashby InnLynAdairDined on 5/24/2014The Ashby Inn in Paris, Virginia will have you wondering if you somehow landed in another more famous Paris! The drive up to the inn almost sends you back in time. It is more peaceful and tranquil than one can imagine being so close to the hustle and bustle of northern Virginia. The wine list was a bit confusing but we did find a suitable wine. The presentation of the food was divine. The portions were on the small side but adequate. We both thought that the soup was the best part of our meal but the entrees were tasty as well. I would definitely go back again especially for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 722 reviews are from the The Ashby Inn reviews archive.
- Almost PerfectunlikelyVIPDined on 5/21/2014My second visit to the Ashby Inn was not as wonderful as I would have liked. Although the ambiance is still lovely and the food was outstanding, the service was only "very good," not excellent. The wine list seems to have taken a turn for the worse; still good, but not what it was. I would go back, but my expectations have been lowered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.