The Ashby Inn
692 Federal Street
Paris, VA 20130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Ashby Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ashbyinn.com/
- Phone: 5405923900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wednesday - Saturday 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 8:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday 5:30pm - 9:00pm; The restaurant is closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef David Dunlap
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The inn has gained wide reputation for its weddings and wedding receptions. An ample covered patio, landscaped gardens and spectacular views offer one of the most beautiful settings in Northern Virginia. Our kitchen staff is both talented and imaginative--and enjoys working with clients to create special menus, ranging from country buffets to more formal dining.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Storer 5405923900x
- Entertainment: Live music on Friday evenings during special summer hours on the terrace. Please check our website for details. www.ashbyinn.com
A word from The Ashby Inn
The Ashby Inn & Restaurant is fully committed to supporting the farmers and artisans that live and work in this region. Our menus represent the freshest, seasonal products that can be sourced locally from sustainable operations. The offerings will change daily in concert with what our local farmers and nature provide. Our pledge to you is to provide a quality dining experience founded on food and drink from sources we know and trust.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Ashby Inn - Best Restaurants in Paris ›
The Ashby Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (61)romantic (59)scenic view (55)great for outdoor dining (52)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (35)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (19)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (4)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerRickVIPDined on 8/16/2014The Winchester area has some fine eating establishments. We have been to the area before but never to the Ashby. What a wonderful surprise. The weather was nice so we ate outside on the patio. Where everyone else was. The evening air and view was serene. With a wonderful selection of wine our evening was off to a terrific start. The Fresh Garden Vegetable salad was creatively service and full of favor. My main course, Grilled Pork was also very good with lots of tasty adornments. We had the Basil Freddo dessert which we shared and it was excellent. Overall a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful "discovery"GolfVinGuyDined on 8/13/2014We'd heard about the Ashby Inn for several years but had never made the trip (~1 hr) to dine. Sorry we waited so long. The menu while short was nice with some variation. Wine list was a little pricey but had decent variation for a venue of this size. The dishes were superb. Great presentation, excellent flavors and all prepared perfectly. Dessert was wonderful. The patio was splendid the evening we were there. Great view, nice breeze and quiet for good conversation and relaxing. A wonderful experience and we'll definitely return. Will seriously think about spending the night rather than driving home though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD but Could Be BetterMore2DoDined on 8/8/2014Great view and lovely swtting. A real gem as far as ambience goes. Unfortunately, while the food was good and the presentation was also very appealing, the amont of food was inadequate, particularly when compared to the price you pay. When you pay nearly $250 for two you don't expect to have to fill-up on bread and rolls. I realize it is fashionable to have small portions, but not everyone has the appetite of a fashion model, and some of us actually expect to be satisfied when we pay so much for dinner. Another problem is that while leisurely service can be welcome, the length of time between the appetizer and entre was entirely too long. Overall if this restaurant wants to be a real go to destination it will need to addess these issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing. Great food and ambience.FoodEscapeDined on 8/8/2014If you are looking for a relaxing and romantic dinner in a beautiful setting this is the place for you. I have not had a relaxing meal like this in a very long time. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive. The outside setting with views of the pastures (including cows on the side of the Blue Ridge) could not have been more bucolic. It is a little on the expensive side so this is more of a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014Service, food and presentation exemplary. Chef imaginative. Food incredibly fresh. Beautiful setting. Well worth the money and less than one hour from DC Beltway. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had no idea this place was there!TomNVIPDined on 8/6/2014My wife and I were planning to eat in Leesburg or Reston but then she mentioned something about a place out near Sky Meadows off route 50. I was a bit skeptical but figured that it could be interesting to try out. It was a great evening sitting out on the terrace at a small table overlooking the attractive yard looking up alongside the mountain just after a summer rainfall with fog clinging to the hillsides. The food selections were quite good and presentation surprisingly sophisticated vs. what we had expected. It seems that the cooking staff is very well trained and creative. We were there on an off-night (mid-week) from a crowd standpoint but frankly that was perfect. A bit more pricey than we had expected BUT well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remembrance of things pasthappyeaterVIPDined on 8/3/2014We were greeted by our server Jamie who remembered us from a neighboring inn two years ago. She was delightful as was the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnerDonHVIPDined on 8/2/2014The staff was very friendly and attentive. The dishes were creative and delicious. My wife's entrée looked like a piece of art. The sommelier was quite helpful as well. It is 90 minutes away from our home, so definitely a special occasion sort of place, but the village of Paris in lovely and the countryside is beautiful, so makes for a great weekend getaway.Special Features:
- Always a lovely dining experienceFoodloveVIPDined on 8/2/2014Love sitting on the patio for dinner on a nice evening. Food is very, very good and presentation is gorgeous. Each dish plated like a work of art. We enjoy coming here for special occasions, and from the looks of most of the other diners (jackets on men, dresses on ladies), others do as well, though there were a few in much more casual attire. Upscale dining in the beautiful Virginia countryside; not inexpensive.Special Features:
- Very Good BUT...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014The food tasted excellent but the portion sizes were disappointingly small for the prices.Special Features:
- We'll be backmikeDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful drive to the Ashby Inn. The Inn itself brings back bygone days. Food and service were first rate. The grounds were perfect to just sit or take a peaceful walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch in the country.EZdinesoutVIPDined on 7/27/2014We had a terrific brunch here last Sunday! The food has alw3ays been wonderful but the portions are bigger now. Chef Dunlop makes beautiful, delicious dishes. Notably, the chicken & waffles and the Croque Madame. Our servers are fabulous & Eric, the manager/sommelier was very attentive & knowledgeable. We had our favorite patio table with a view of the garden on a perfect day.Cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- Simply the best!chucker44Dined on 7/26/2014The Ashby Inn provided one of, if not the most, enjoyable and memorable dining experiences I have ever encountered. Having been in the Washington Metro area my entire life, I have had the privilege of dining at some of the finest venues in the area. The entire experience, from the courtesy confirmation call prior to our arrival combined with the sustained superb service throughout the meal, made for a most pleasurable experience. Combine this with the beautiful scenery of Paris, VA and you have an experience that must be experienced to believe. The wait-staff even arranged for us to take our coffee and dessert in the gardens so that we could enjoy the breathtaking view that is afforded at sunset. We will return soon for certain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited but tasty lunch menuParrotMomDined on 7/25/2014Gorgeous outdoor seating and excellent service. The food was quite good, quality vs quantity unlike many American restaurants, but the selection was quite limited. The beautiful outdoor view helped make the meal an experience.Special Features:
- Delightful Lunch at Ashby InnDineout1Dined on 7/25/2014Our party of four had a delightful lunch on the outside patio at the Ashby Inn. We had seared salmon, buttermilk fried chicken and the croque monsieurs. The homemade bread was excellent. The wine pairings and the beer choices were also excellent. Service was attentive yet subtle and relaxed. We will go again.Special Features:
- Roy KriegerquantumdinerDined on 7/18/2014An outstanding dining experience on my 60th birthday. We had the chef's tasting menu to which he added two additional courses when he learned of the special occasion for a total of nine courses over 2.5 hours. However, the portions were exactly the proper size to avoid gluttony. The service was perfect with all dishes for each course arriving simultaneously. The sommelier's wine pairing suggestions were ideal and his knowledge of wine encyclopedic. Apparently he recently joined The Ashby staff from the Williamsburg Inn. The outside accommodations were more than comfortable and the early evening view majestic.Special Features:
- Ashby InnAshbyExcellenceDined on 6/28/2014Beautiful location overlooking rolling hills of Paris, VA. The service and food was superior - among the best I've had in the North Atlantic region. Top-notch chef creates culinary combinations that tickle, tease and satisfy the palate. Wine list was spectacular and the pairings perfect. I would recommend for any romantic occasion - ours was wedding anniversary. Next time we may even spend a night at the inn following the perfect dinner on the terrace.Special Features:
- Great place to bring your spouseChrisDined on 6/28/2014The first time I brought my wife to Ashby, we were not sure what to expect. The chef had gotten some great write ups so we were excited. We found out that it was all true! The presentation is among the best that I've ever seen. He uses a lot of colorful edible flowers that make the dishes very pretty. Creativity is good and flavor is about as good as you will find around the DC area. Pick a nice evening and sit out on the terrace overlooking the mountains. They will have soft live guitar playing in the back ground and you will be happy you went :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my review titleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Amazing place, very accommodating and polite staff, beautiful building, comfortable seating, food was delicious from the appetizers to the honey butter on the bread and the main course to the desert...very creative and paired perfectly with their respective wines. Top notch sommelier. Worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerIrisheyesDined on 6/22/2014Wonderful meal, excellent service. Celebrating 44 years of marriage at this beautiful Virginia countryside restaurant. Dined outside on the patio. Could not have been any nicer !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentnorthcoast1Dined on 6/20/2014Entering the outdoor patio through the beautiful perennial gardens sets the stage for the evening. Beautiful slate patio, candlelit lanterns and slowly turning ceiling fans create a perfect spot for dinner. The service could not have been better; attentive but not annoying. Eli, our server, was very knowledgeable about the dishes and where they were sourced. The salmon and cod which we ordered were flown in fresh the day before, perfect. The miso glazed cod was amazing, the salmon with glazed fennel was so good I wish I had gotten one to go. The pickled beet salad had a horseradish cream that I almost inhaled. The sommelier, stuart, brought us wines that had us asking for more. The desserts? O m g, with humboldt fog cheese, the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!quantumdinerDined on 6/20/2014We were greeted promptly and courteously, and offered our choice of outdoor or indoor seating. We chose the outdoor section which offered a tranquil view of Virginia countryside. The sommelier presented the extensive wine list and noted that although selected wine-food pairings were offered on the menu he would be pleased to suggest additional choices from the wine list. We chose the pairings and were treated to excellent selections. Service was prompt and courteous, and the food was delicious. This was our second visit which also was outstanding and demonstrated welcome consistency. Although we live nearby the experience would be well worth the drive from DC proper.Special Features:
- qualityDWilliamDined on 6/14/2014Each visit to the Ashby Inn demonstrates the high quality of this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/11/2014A delightful evening out at The Ashby! The food was scrumptous and Bernie was fantastic, as always. Kudos to Chef Dunlap and his team!Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/11/2014We first visited Ashby in 2010. It was wonderful--we loved it. It became our place to go for special celebrations. We ate there last year and were very disappointed but figured it was a one time anomaly. We ate there this week and decided we do not need to return. The food was merely "okay" and at those prices I would expect more. It has become too pretentious and trying too hard. The portions were very small--we had a full 3 courses and did not feel "full." Wanted a dessert but did not like any of the choices on the regular menu--however, had noted a dessert on the tasting menu that would have been preferable. I asked if that was possible and was told no--should have asked to speak to the chef or manager. Chipped dinner plate too
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Don't know of a better place to have an anniversary dinner! The food was incredible and all who served us were very helpful. We enjoyed the outside dinning on the patio. We look forward to bringing friends out to enjoy the same experience we had.Special Features:
- A quiet, romantic trip to ParisJoeMDined on 5/30/2014We love the Ashby Inn and choose it for special occasions. The view is beautiful and we usually sit in the patio area but due to weather concerns, the patio was closed. This was our first visit to the inside dining room and we were not disappointed. I doubt you will find these menu items anywhere else. We look forward to seeing what new menu offerings will greet us each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ashby InnLynAdairDined on 5/24/2014The Ashby Inn in Paris, Virginia will have you wondering if you somehow landed in another more famous Paris! The drive up to the inn almost sends you back in time. It is more peaceful and tranquil than one can imagine being so close to the hustle and bustle of northern Virginia. The wine list was a bit confusing but we did find a suitable wine. The presentation of the food was divine. The portions were on the small side but adequate. We both thought that the soup was the best part of our meal but the entrees were tasty as well. I would definitely go back again especially for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost PerfectunlikelyVIPDined on 5/21/2014My second visit to the Ashby Inn was not as wonderful as I would have liked. Although the ambiance is still lovely and the food was outstanding, the service was only "very good," not excellent. The wine list seems to have taken a turn for the worse; still good, but not what it was. I would go back, but my expectations have been lowered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overly intrusive serviceKeithVIPDined on 5/17/2014The Ashby Inn can be a wonderful location for a special meal in the country. We had out-of-town guests last weekend and took them to show off the beautiful VA hunt country. The food was very good, but the service we got was overly intrusive...to the point it became a joke among our party. The waiter literally came by every 3-5 min and asked if everything was OK and then stressed he really wanted to know if everything was ok. I am sure that getting attentive and well trained service is a challenge in small communities, but the service nearly got in the way of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic elegance and superb dining .kaut1Dined on 5/14/2014The warm reception we received from the staff upon our arrival had Liz and I forgetting the dreary weather outside. Our lunch was quietly elegant. The meal and personable service were superb. Next time we will check out the lodging first hand . I have to think that we will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but disappointing endingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The food was delicious and the presentation lovely until dessert. After a long delay the server handed me my carrot cake with a big glob of melted ice cream on it. He apologized for the delay, saying that the kitchen was busy, but really, at those prices, couldn't they have put brought out a piece of cake with ice cream, not melted mush, on it?Special Features:
- Excellence PersonifiedStevenDined on 5/10/2014You can't go wrong with the Chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. Excellent service and ambiance. One of the best in the area and a real gem.Special Features:
- A Must Visit in VirginiaCTlovesVADined on 5/10/2014This was my 4th visit in 2 years to the Ashby Inn and it never disappoints. It's a beautiful location and a top notch chef. I haven't had a chance to stay in the Inn, I've just dined in the restaurant, but it's truly a great experience. Spend some time on the grounds also-the views are great.Special Features:
- Fine DiningFoodDined on 5/9/2014This was my first fine dining experience and it was fantastic. It was a quiet out door setting. On Friday night they had live music which was nice.Special Features:
- Great Food/Poor Wine/Avg ServiceCountryDinerDined on 5/2/2014The evening started out on a poor note when ALL of the bottles of wine we attempted to order were out of stock. When we asked for the assistance of the sommelier, we were told there was not one on staff at that present time. A request for a list of wines by the glass simply resulted in the menu with the 6 wines recommended for each of the 6 entrees, not much of a choice. Once selected we were given a glass that was 1/4 full only. Very disappointing. The service was average, not what you would expect for a country inn/special occasion site. However, the food was great, all 3 entrees we ordered were outstanding, so the evening ended on a good note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enchanted Epicurean HideawayDiscerningDinersDined on 5/1/2014The cuisine was literally incomparable, with a menu that was delightfully distinctive and an introduction that was personal, professional, and not high-fallutin. Paying tribute to the value of organic food and local farmers 'n' vintners gave new meaning to "community" and food culture. If one didn't feint from the phenomenal taste and amazing Zen-like presentation offered by Chef David, they might succumb to the superior service and romantic setting midst verdant hills and Georgia O'Keefe inspired colorful flower explosions. From our arrival through to our departure, we were treated as royalty; which befitted the majesty of the meal. We didn't get to sample the desserts, but rest assure we'll return another time for this pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 713 reviews are from the The Ashby Inn reviews archive.
- An overall great eveningPiedmonton12Dined on 4/30/2014We had a wonderful time a the Ashby Inn celebrating our dear friends' anniversary. The facility was great. The staff was attentive, knew the menu, offered suggestions and kept us well served and informed. We brought a couple of bottles of special wine with us. The Inn charged a $25 corkage fee which was reasonable. They have an extensive wine selection of their own. We'll be back as quick as we can. Wonderful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2014The food has never disappointed me. In fact it gets better each time I visit. The wine selection is outstanding. Recommend that one takes the suggested wine parings.Special Features:
- Ashby InnjumbieDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner at the Ashby Inn. The dishes were extremely well-composed and coordinated. The cauliflower soup was completely amazing. I suggest ordering each course with the wine parings. I will be going back soon for the chef's tasting menu.Special Features: