The Arsenal at Bluejacket
300 Tingey Street SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Arsenal at Bluejacket
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bluejacketdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 524-4862
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens 4 PM, Dinner Service Begins 5:30 PM Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kyle Bailey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: For those who have enjoyed dining at The Arsenal and wish to have us cater your next event, we are pleased to partner with 550 Events & Provisions, a chef-driven, full-service catering and events company. As a member of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s family of award-winning restaurants, 550 possesses an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience, as well as culinary talent. For inquiries and more information, contact 550 Events & Provisions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Events: Our brewery, Bluejacket, is pleased to offer brewery tours on Saturdays, including a Beer & Food Experience tour. More information & tickets for brewery tours can be found at http://bluejacketdc.com/tours.htm.
A word from The Arsenal at Bluejacket
The Arsenal is the 200-seat restaurant & bar housed within the brewery, Bluejacket. The menu, crafted by Executive Chef Kyle Bailey of Birch & Barley and ChurchKey and Chef de Cuisine Dan Hahndorf, updates, refines and extends the classic fare of beer halls and public houses by featuring the best locally sourced products available and highlighting house-made specialties such as charcuterie, fresh pastas, alongside whole-roasted meats, hearty grains and seasonal vegetables. A menu of gourmet sandwiches, house-ground burgers and bar snacks is the perfect accompaniment to a signature Bluejacket brew.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Arsenal at Bluejacket - Best Restaurants in Navy Yard ›
The Arsenal at Bluejacket reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (79)fit for foodies (70)good for groups (67)neighborhood gem (62)hot spot (57)great for outdoor dining (42)great for lunch (28)special occasion (22)great for brunch (21)romantic (12)late-night find (11)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Just a great place!RJinVADined on 8/22/2014We stopped in for dinner before a Nats game. Dinner service normally starts at 5:30, but we were pleasantly surprised that they opened the dining room at 5:00 PM so we were able to enjoy a more leisurely dinner. We sampled 6 of their beers and all were terrific. Our server was fantastic - made great beer recommendations for our meal choices. The food was also great. Overall a super experience - we'll definitely be back to this place!Special Features:
- Great ServicedudeDined on 8/20/2014great place to go to before or after the Nationals ball games. Service was very attentive; we never lacked for water, new utensils or getting the check. The bluejacket burger was delicious and the fries were hot and crispy. The beer selection is out of this world. They offer sample sizes of all the beers, so you can't go wrong by trying several.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer List - Really fun!jsib480Dined on 8/20/2014Great place to hang out pre-baseball game. Their bar and dinner menu is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but Lacking ServiceChampagneofbeers82Dined on 8/17/2014While the food is great at Arsenal, I must add that the customer service is quite dismal. It all started when we arrived and noticed that there were 6 empty tables seating 4 people or more and another 10 tables seating two people EMPTY. However, the hostess told us that they only had outdoor seating and bar seating at first-come first-serve available. She said they had no reservations available for tables despite the clear lacking of customers actually at their tables. I walked outside went on Open Table, and saw they had a plethora of availability, so I booked a table. The hostess then told me that they would get out table together and cleared. She seated us 10 MINUTES later at one of the empty tables. We chuckled multiple times.
- Blue JacketOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014We tried this place for lunch since we were going to a late afternoon ball game. I thought I would be more impressed. My meal was good, but not out of this world like people had raved about. We did have the fresh baked cinnamon rolls which were amazing! If I went back I would stick to the more sweet items (french toast, cinnamon rolls). The beer was good and mimosas were great! Will try it for dinner for sure, as I think that is probably where they shine more.Special Features:
- Decent beers available...butBillyKDined on 8/16/2014Food served was fair. Smothered fries served barely warm. Limited option for wings and also barely warm and too vinegary. Disappointing as previously ate there and had a great hamburger.Special Features:
- Inexplicably sluggish serviceDomoDarrenDined on 8/15/2014Sitting outside in patio seating on a lovely summer night, we experienced painfully slow service at Bluejacket. To start, the hostess who greeted us seemed ambivalent about our presence, and failed to mention that if we sat outside we would only be able to order from a limited bar menu. Once we picked a table to enjoy the unseasonably mild August Friday evening, we waited, and waited, and waited to get drinks, food, and attention of any kind. What could have been an hour-long experience stretched to nearly two and a half. One server was trying to work six tables, and despite his general congeniality he didn't have the efficiency to make it work and the occasional help from his colleagues didn't cut it. Not a great experience.Special Features:
- Best Beer + Serious Food to MatchmetamangoVIPDined on 8/14/2014My husband, a brewer and biotech researcher, took the Sat brewery tour at Blue Jacket and was very impressed with their process, thoughtfulness, and of course, the quality of the beer. So impressed that he brought me back for dinner later that week during Restaurant Week. Great value food with perfect beer pairings with each course! The servers were all articulate about each beer and all the dishes were beautifully balance in flavor, seasoning, texture, and ingredient types. By day, the industrial warehouse meets warm wood walled restaurant/brewery is full of light from windows at every level, but at night the fermenting tanks and barrels are dramatically lit. My only complaint is the restaurant is literally too dark at night.Special Features:
- Great restaurant week findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Went for DC Restaurant Week and it was a great meal. We got the 3 course meal (appetizer, entree, dessert) with each course expertly paired with one of their own beers. Tricia waited on us and was very informative about each course and the beers. The food was terrific, especially the pork loin entree.Special Features:
- Will Never Go Back AgainPepperfoodieDined on 8/12/2014The hostess seated me at the only table in the entire dining room without light source. I was sitting in the dark unable to read the menu for 15-20 minutes. I sat there trying to let my eyes adjust but it was simply to dark. After her third trip to the table for my order, I requested to be reseated at one of the other 15-20 empty lighted tables. After a mediocre burger and fries, I inquired and was told by the hostess that she had been there 3 months and didn't have a clue about the lack of lighting....unbelievable! BTW this place can be hard to find after sunset because the outdoor signage either does not have any lighting or it's in disrepair. I literally walked passed this place twice but unfortunately found it.
- Consistently goodmrsplacedsoulVIPDined on 8/11/2014Arsenal is our new standby. Food is consistently good and we enjoy testing out the new brews.
- Brunch gememilyhDined on 8/10/2014While not in the hoping-est spot for foot traffic, its worth the venture to come here. The interior is beautiful and interesting, with lots of space at the bar and a nice sized dining room.You can see the brewery and all of the equipment they make their beer with too. Speaking of, their beer list is fantastic. We got the Mexican Radio and enjoyed it. The food was exactly what I want out of brunch: simple and breakfasty but original. the eggs in purgatory were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodChristinaDined on 8/5/2014I would consider this Italian/American fusion. Their American/original version of carbonara was to die for with fresh pasta, pork belly, hen egg yolk, and fresh grated cheese. Can't wait to go back and try more dishes. The burger was nothing to rave about but the hot charcuterie was also really good and original.Special Features:
- pre-ballgame dinnerFishmanDined on 8/4/2014Great selection of craft beers brewed on the premises. Dinner was delicious. Waiter was super. Short walk to Nationals Park.Special Features:
- Overrated placediningaroundtownVIPDined on 8/2/2014We were really excited to try this place but Bluejacket fell very short of expectations. The entire experience was terrible. One staff member set us up with water and menus while we waited for our waitress Georgia to show up -- it was at least 15 mins before she did. We put in our drink and food orders. Once again, it took a long time before our drinks made it to the table or before our water was refilled. After those came, a long time passed before our food order arrived, so much time that I had to flag down another person to inquire about it because, once again our waitress was not around. It was ridiculous -- there were several other tables that had arrived after us that already were eating. Same with the check. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Great ServiceTreehugger7Dined on 8/1/2014I came for lunch with my dad since I couldn't get a dinner reservation. Got there just in time for lunch (they stop serving between 230 and 5pm) and the waiter was extremely great about letting us order just in the nick of time. Excellent food! I ordered the veggie burger and it was amazing. Definitely coming back, but probably for lunch again, because this place is packed when there is a Nats game. I have seen the line wrap around the building. The music is really cool, and hipster. The whole feel kinda reminded me of Seattle.Special Features:
- Best service I've ever had!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014The food and beer were both really great, but the most outstanding part was the service. Maria, our server, was charming, knowledgeable, and was very aware of our needs while giving us space to enjoy dinner. The food and drink would bring me back, but the service has made me an advocate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallMeganVIPDined on 7/30/2014I thought the Arsenal provided a varied menu and something for everyone. I thought it was a bit noisy for a Wednesday night. My throat hurt by the end of the night because I felt like we had to yell across the table. The portions could be a little bit better for the price.Special Features:
- The following 226 reviews are from the The Arsenal at Bluejacket reviews archive.
- Great Beer, Good FoodTuhughesDined on 7/26/2014Every server I've had here, including on this visit, knows the beer menu forward and backwards, which is impressive given that it always has at least two dozen beers on tap. The food is generally pretty good, and while the portion sizes aren't massive, I've never left feeling hungry.Special Features:
- A looong night2nittanylionsVIPDined on 7/26/2014We made a reservation for 8 before a concert, and were excited to try one of the new fun places in the area. Unfortunately, it wound up being a trying experience. Our waiter was not only inattentive, but when we would flag him down (at least 4 times), he never apologized and always blamed someone else for why our food or drinks didn't arrive. We were on a timeline because we were going to a concert, but had left more than 90 minutes. And still, it took more than an hour for our food to arrive. After we sought the manager for the second time, he comped our entrees (which had still not arrived) and he ultimately came to apologize profusely and comp the entire meal. When it finally came, the food was good.
- Foodie DelightNaptownFoodieX2Dined on 7/25/2014Hidden gem in Southeast/Navy Yard area. Menu full of surprises and healthy ingredients in addition to some very tasty craft beers brewed on the premise. Very excited to watch the surrounding neighborhood possibly develop into a foodie mecca with this establishment leading the way! Service was outstanding despite the large crowds due to a concert event at Nationals park. Will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MattDined on 7/20/2014This place was perfect for a weekend date. The beers are top notch, the food was phenomenal (beef heart tartare, lamb's neck, and monkfish), and our waitress genuinely seemed to love her job and what Bluejacket had to offer. My only complaint is that their beer list is rather heavy with sours, which I'm not a fan of. I'll cut them some slack though, since apparently their souring yeast strains are notable enough to be used by other craft distributors. The rest of the beers we had were fantastic, and especially when paired with my dish as recommended by our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedsrs2283VIPDined on 7/20/2014I was looking forward to trying Bluejacket, I have heard great things from friends who have eaten there. I like the open layout of the restaurant and the bar area is really nice. When we were seated, our server was initially very prompt, however we didn't order for 40+ mins after we had to flag our waitress down for the 5th time. My husband asked twice for the drink menu later in the meal, and it was never delivered. Our food was just ok. The one huge kicker to the meal was the brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts have become quite the trendy food, and there are lots of great dishes around DC. Bluejacket needs to take theirs OFF the menu. The olive oil was gross and they had no flavor. Huge dissapointment.Special Features:
- Beware of Nats gameAAaaVIPDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our experience at The Arsenal -- the service, space, food, and drink. But we would offer one word of advice: check to see if its a Nationals game day. We went on a Saturday game day, and, after the game ended, the baseball fans started pouring into the brewery/bar space. The restaurant is right in the thick of things, so it was a little like setting up a table for 2 at the Bullpen -- admittedly could be a great time, but not necessarily what we were looking for. I imagine it's not as much of a problem during the week, when people potentially are less likely to party post-game, but on Saturday it was noticeable.Special Features:
- First time great timesaidchestnutDined on 7/16/2014My wife took me out for my birthday and asked where I wanted to eat and so I chose a new spot. We sat outside enjoyed great weather, good drinks and great service. I'd recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/15/2014Bluejackets was very good! The server was very friendly and welcoming. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soyoyoGDined on 7/13/2014Long wait time for food, lamb/chicken burger was over cooked and a little to charred for my taste. My friend got the same thing and his was not overcooked. Portion size of the pasta for my husband was small with no bread or sides...and he got the entreem/dinner sizing. The boys did enjoy their beers though. A friend was visiting from out of town and we wanted to find a unique place to take him. The history of the building and the riverwalk enticed us to try The Arsenal. The servers were great but I am not sure I'll be going back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Very AccommodatingstaceyvzDined on 7/13/2014Brought a group of 11 people in for a celebration. Staff was very helpful and knowledgeable, they were also open to a few last minute changes. The food was well-prepared and definitely offered something different from other area restaurants. Everyone in the group really enjoyed trying items from adventurous beer list. My only two complaints were: 1) that it gets very dark in the main dining space, which is great for romantic dinners, not so great for big groups trying to mingle and 2) we waited an especially long amount of time for our table's check at the end of the meal. Overall, we are looking forward to coming back, but will probably dine earlier in the day.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014My third visit. While I really come for the beer I like the food. This time the server was great so I wanted to mention that. Not that the servers the other two times were not also good (they were) but this guy was very helpful with the beer recommendations, was attentive but not always hovering and just very pleasant.
- Too Many Beers?Kafn8dDined on 7/10/2014Excellent, unobtrusive though attentive service. Food was good, but not great. Beer is very good. I wonder if their beer could be better if they focused on about half as many styles...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoseJoseDined on 7/9/2014Food was great and there were several small groups around us so that could explain the slow service on drinks, etc. I like the beer selection but it didn't seem as good as the week before. I had a Dauntlet IPA that left lots to be desired and at least one other person with me thought her beers were average. I had outstanding beer the week earlier and expected the same.Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre beer, deafeningtravelmad478Dined on 7/8/2014We enjoyed our food: it was creative, tasty, and sized right. Service at the table was friendly and attentive. We spent several hours watching a World Cup game in the bar area before moving to our table for dinner, and thus had a chance to try a number of the house-brewed beers--surprisingly, they were uniformly pretty mediocre and in a few cases outright unpleasant (stay away from the Limerick--who knew kaffir lime leaf would make beer smell like cleaning fluid?) In general we would have enjoyed our meal much more had the restaurant not been deafeningly loud. In fairness, it was the evening of a Nats-O's baseball game, and the place was jammed, but we could barely hear a word anyone was saying at the table, even in the dining room.Special Features:
- Good service. Long wait.BellpainterDined on 7/5/2014The food did not arrive for 45 minutes. The waitress was charismatic, knowledgeable and thoughtful.Special Features:
- Fun and Exciting Beer experienceJilljakDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant is such a neat experience. The energy is high and the food is delicious. Not to mention the beer tasting we hd. We tried 6 different beers out of 25 of their own brews. It was fun to taste them all. We went before the Nationals game, which was right down the street, and tried a few different appetizers which were all so good! They did a remarkable job on the décor and we will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer, great service!lj28VIPDined on 7/3/2014We had a wonderful time at Bluejacket. They sat our group of 4 in a lovely, large booth (big enough for 6) in the corner by a window. It was very comfortable. They were always nice about keeping our water glasses full and the service was prompt and friendly. We mostly ordered beer (I think we tried almost every one on the menu) but the server did not seem to mind. I did try the warm pretzel, though, and it was outstanding. This a hot spot for sure and I can certainly see why. Looking forward to going back!Special Features:
- Can't beat the service!bex173Dined on 7/3/2014We visited for dinner with family visiting from out of town. We were celebrating 3 anniversaries - which they asked about when we called to confirm they reservation - after we arrived & were seated our waitress brought us complimentary champagne - a great surprise & set the tone for a fun evening! We sampled some "tastes" of their beer. On another good service note, my husband's clam dish came out without clams - when we sent it back, the waitress apologized & the chef came out himself to apologize. They also took ALL our beverages (for 7 people!) off the bill for this mistake - unbelievable! We were all impressed by this service & I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014Fantastic beers (20 house on tap) and they also cask condition five additional beers. Creative food (fried chickpeas and pork rinds) and really knowledgeable staff made this a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The Arsenal at BluejacketDCFoodieDined on 6/28/2014We had a great dinner at The Aresnal. We started with the pretzels which everyone at the table thoroughly enjoyed. They were hot from the oven. We had the Ribs, the Chicken, the Carbonara and the Pork and all diners raved about their dishes. Our server was very good and provided good recommendations on beer tastings and seemed knowledgeable about the beers on the list. The only hitch was with dessert. We ordered dessert and when they were finally served they were very good. For some reason the desserts took a long time to come to the table. Our server did keep us up to date and did apologize for it taking so long so not sure what the ultimate issue was. Overall - great experience, great food, good atmosphere.Special Features:
- Disappointing FoodGooutalotDined on 6/25/2014Three of us went for lunch. Two had the jerk chicken, which was in the Salad portion of the menu, but it was two pieces of warm chicken on a bed of corn relish. Certainly not a salad. They gave it a "B." I had the falafel sandwich. It was a few pieces of moist falafel on flatbread that had been formed into a taco-like shape. The flatbread was so large and chewy that I cut most of it off. We tried all three dessert offerings and didn't finish any. Overly sweet, all. The key lime had a glutinous texture. The whiskey ice cream was very harsh. We all agreed the fudge pie was the best, along with the coconut ice cream (two different dessert components). 2nd time there. Had a so-so Cobb salad 1st time. She had a burger, which was dry.
- Awesome Brew & FoodKLoDCVIPDined on 6/24/2014My birthday dinner was a surprise only because of how great Arsenal at BlueJacket was. The initial seating was a bit lengthy. However, once our waiter happened upon the scene we were asked to look up at the brewing silos where they microbrew the beer and the expansive interior. It's pretty awesome. We had two waiters and they were both attentive but we have our favorite. They brought out a pie and ice cream and a cheese plate. It was s great first visit, and there will be more visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.