1401 Race St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Over the Rhine
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theanchor-otr.com/
- Phone: (513) 421-8111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Derek dos Anjos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact us directly for seats on our patio for Lumenocity - August 1, 2 and 3, 2014. We are the only restaurant in Cincinnati with views of Music Hall for this magical performance.
A word from The Anchor
The Anchor is a seafood restaurant and oyster bar in the heart of beautiful and historic Over the Rhine. Located on the corner of 14th and Race, we are right across from Washington Park and Music Hall, making us a perfect destination for both pre and post theater meals. The Anchor is open for dinner Tuesdays through Saturday. We feature both traditional and communal seating. Enjoy fresh seafood delivered daily, a rotating selection of fresh east and west coast oysters, a variety of whole fish and other seafood specialties, including a classic New England lobster roll! If you have a party larger than 8 people, please call us directly to make a reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Anchor - Best Restaurants in Over the Rhine ›
The Anchor reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (86)great for outdoor dining (62)special occasion (51)hot spot (47)romantic (34)good for groups (34)scenic view (27)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- HungryHowardVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is the first time that service has been an issue at Anchor. The staff was very nice, but communication between waitress and kitchen was poor.Special Features:
- creative cuisine that sparklesBrianDined on 11/8/2014Every dish.....every bite.....a delectable delight!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!TonyRavDined on 11/7/2014Loved Anchor. Great for seafood fans. Unique seafood fair, and a great atmophere. Great interior space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than great!dhowlsDined on 11/7/2014My wife and I had dinner at The Anchor on Friday night. I happened to stop by earlier that day. I met Derek, the manager and he showed me around. Very nice guy and into his job. Dinner. We started off with a dozen fresh, perfect Delaware Bay oysters and their new OPA beer. We relied on Josh, our waiter, who by the way did a great job. Knew his stuff and was enthusiastic. Chris helped Josh help us and he did a great job as well. Both really nice guys. Derek checked up on us as well. Appetizers were fantastic! Clam chowder and crab au gratin!!!! My dinner was seared scallops topped with smoked, pulled pork and pickled red onions. I skeptical, but went for it on Josh's word. It was awesome! I've run out of characters. Everything was great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Food was fantastic, staff was energetic, friendly and knowledgeable. Our party of two was seated at a large booth with another party of 3 which was a little awkward, but the booths were large enough for it to not be an issue. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Excellent presentation, unique options with very good service.Special Features:
- Not so great.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The table was ready when we arrived. However, we were sat in a high traffic area up against a window and a narrow hall. The drinks are over priced and not of good quality. The $1 oysters were tiny to say the least. No crackers, no hot sauce, not horseradish. Poor presentation and a total waste of time and money. They should check out how Washington Platform makes all of the "oyster lovers" experience.
- NSBBDined on 10/30/2014We enjoyed our meal at the Anchor. It was pre-theater, and they accommodated our time frame. The fish is fresh and delicious. It is a bit crowded, with tables close together. A valuable addition to the Over the Rhine scene.Special Features:
- Food just okaycinciDined on 10/30/2014My husband and I have been here twice for dinner. We found the service to be fair (i.e. requested a 2nd beverage and bread three times, received both when meal was almost completed). The Bouillabaisse was rather tasteless and under seasoned, also skimpy for the price. My fried oyster appetizer was mostly breading and very small oysters, one did not even have an oyster in it. We felt the food was not worth the prices and will not return. We gave it 2 tries.
- I'll be back---luluDined on 10/30/2014As always the oysters were a great deal and very tasty. The fish special, a spotted bass was outstanding. Great place for dinner before the symphony. Love that they take reservations.Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner!OutonthetownDined on 10/30/2014Went to Anchor before the symphony at music hall. The service was excellent. The food was divine! Enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experiencegoodcincyfoodDined on 10/25/2014Our first visit to the Anchor was very enjoyable. The food was excellent and the service matched the food. We dined outdoors during a great fall day.Special Features:
- All great but the parkingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014All great once inside, but Washington park wheeled out the $10 even parking signs just as we pulled up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price and Meal do not equateOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014Let first say the flavors and dishes offered were very good! My biggest complaint was that the meal and portions do not equal the price paid. We are not after the typical over sized american portions, but when I don't expect to leave a restaurant hungry after spending $150 (2 people, 1 drink each, 1 app each).Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!beckymDined on 10/17/2014We had a nice meal with our family at the Anchor on Friday-there were lots of people but we could still have a good conversation. The food and service were great! We highly recommend the Anchor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the showOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014We always enjoy The Anchor, inside or outside. It's a good place to dine before attending a performance at the Ensemble Theatre, a short walking distance from the restaurant. The menu offers a nice variety and service is good. Try the trout BLT and Vidalia onion rings for something a little different and good! Dining here is always a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpectedly deliciousnwing444Dined on 10/10/2014My husband and I chose The Anchor for our four year wedding anniversary due to all the amazing word of mouth. We were not disappointed. They had an extremely helpful and knowledgeable staff that explained the dishes and drinks. Which they have excellent mixed drinks by the way. The entree we ordered was not something I would think to pair together, but was amazing. Everything went together flawlessly. I would definitely come back and would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood in gateway districtwestsiderDined on 10/4/2014scallops and crawfish benieghs were fantastic! Great wine selection too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food /service, poor seatingDMCintiDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I had a great time here. We were looking for a place to grab a dinner before the show and this popped up. She had the lobster roll and loved it. I don't eat seafood but enjoyed the burger very much. She also took a icture of her wine bottle as she enjoyed it so much. We told our waiter that we were on a schedule and he kept things moving well. We were out in plenty of time, and yet didn't feel rushed. The only miss was the table. It felt like cheap patio furniture. They don't seem to have many decent tables for 2 or 4. They are mostly set up for 8, which is an odd configuration. Still - we enjoyed it very much and would go back.Special Features:
- Ahoy!!HappydinningVIPDined on 10/1/2014The Anchor never disappoints. The seafood is always fresh and beautifully prepared. Start with the oysters- along with a Bloody Mary garnished with a Lobster claw, you will not be sorry. From the creamy delicious clam chowder to the elegantly prepared whole fish, the Anchor serves a variety of wonderful food from the sea. The staff is knowledgable and friendly. It is a great restaurant to keep coming back to.Special Features:
- Very accomodatingCincyEatsDined on 9/27/2014We were craving a nice meal and glass of wine last Saturday night and Anchor came to mind, being a favorite of ours in the past. We made the 8pm reservation at 7:30pm and requested outdoor seating, if possible. Once we arrived, it was clear that we were not the only ones trying to take advantage of the beautiful weather, and because of the last minute reservation, were seated inside at a table in somewhat of a walkway. However, the waitress was adorable and we quickly got over our seating and started planning our courses. Even before we got our drinks, the manager came back and said that a couple had just left outside and he would be happy to move us. We really appreciated the accommodation and had a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late night dinnerExcellentDiningDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at the Anchor restaurant. The atmosphere was very nice. We chose to eat inside because of a live band playing in Washington park, but with the doors open we were able to enjoy the music. The seafood was excellent. A limited menu, but everything that we ordered was very unique(scallops topped with pulled bbq, lobster baked sandwich) and very rewarding. We will return very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch After Friday Morning SymphonyanotherpollyDined on 9/26/2014An easy walk form Music Hall, Anchor had inside and outside dining. Food is really good, and the menu offers unusual variety with only a few selections in each category. We loved the clam chowder! Outside dining was okay, but the area is a bit jumbled and views are obstructed. Could be more inviting.Special Features:
- Great patio great foodAirRonDined on 9/25/2014Wondeful patio over looking Washington park. Wonderful food. oyster mania os a great deal and a ton of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night at Anchor OTROpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/25/2014It was a beautiful night. Midpoint music festival was going on across the street in the park. Our waitress was friendly and helpful. My only complaint was that the starters portions were too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimmyboyDined on 9/20/2014I noticed that The Anchor gets mixed reviews, with both ups and downs. My experience was all up. I suspect the disappointed reviewers were there at the busiest times, when the restaurant's facilities are likely to be under strain. I did a pre-theater 6pm, which worked very well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodGDocVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food and service were excellent. The menu seemed limited, but the specials were plentiful. Service was attentive and helpful, but low-key. All the shellfish choices - lobster, crab, and shrimp were delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed dinner. The service was very good and friendly. The food was delicious. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I took my boyfriend here for a date night since we have never been and we thoroughly e joyed it. The service was great down to the food. The atmosphere was perfect along with the weather. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves some good seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bloody MaryGoodEatsDined on 9/11/2014Looking at the website, the whole Maine lobster claw in a bloody mary sold me on making the first trip. The dining experience was great and delicious but a bit on the pricey side. We would return. We enjoyed a dozen oysters on the half shell which were a special the evening we were there. I had a lobster roll that was 99% as good as on the east coast! Did not find the chairs at our table (outside) very comfortable, but the view of Music Hall made up for it. The staff was courteous and attentive without being overwhelming.Special Features:
- Great Happy HourluluDined on 9/5/2014The happy hour oysters are a great value and delicious! Hard to choose from the list of great appetizers and dinners. The specials are great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood w/nice outdoor areaCC51Dined on 9/4/2014Sat outside, which had a very "Carolina" feel to it. I felt like we were there to eat seafood. We started with a few Oysters, then had the catch of the day (some sort of Yellow Fish) and scallops. The scallops were incredible. Their menu is not conventional, which is a plus. You can't get this food at a regular restaurant. The setting was just on the edge of Washington Park (very nice). Our server was very educated on the intricacies of the menu, which helped explain some of the items that I wasn't familiar with. They had the cleanest public restroom I've ever used. It was themed for the restaurant as well. Overall, it was a touch pricey for me, but definitely worth a visit every once in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J and b partyBb70Dined on 8/28/2014Always a great place to eat after bluegrass on ThursdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSeafoodLoverDined on 8/27/2014This was the third time I dined at The Achor. Although the food is good quality (not extraordinary), fresh and even creative, the poor service really impairs the overall experience. The drink I ordered was not as expected (completely different from the previous occasions when I ordered the same drink). The server took the drink back to the bar for an adjustment and when she returned she basically slammed the glass on the table and walked away without a word or a smile. I don't think I will be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Will not go back anytime soonCincyChefDined on 8/23/2014This was our first time eating at Anchor. We had to wait in an overcrowded and noisy bar/reception area as there was no place to sit. Then, we were escorted to our table and immediately thought it was cramped and very, very loud as the furnishings and decor did nothing to absorb the chatter from all of the patrons. We also had a lot of time to watch the hostesses. They looked like high school students and were dressed to go to the gym, although all of the patrons were dressed very nicely. The food was good, but we didn't feel it warranted the prices.Special Features:
- Overpriced and crummy foodUnhappy2Dined on 8/23/2014We sat outside, which was lovely, since it is on Washington Square. So we were pumped to enjoy a wonderful meal. Got the calamari which was rubbery and had a tasteless sauce. I got the tiger shrimp sandwich. The HUGH bun was delicious as was the sauce. Hard to find or taste the 6 small shrimp, however. My husband got the bass and said although the fish was good, the sauce was lacking any flavor and the peadpods were not cooked. I had their rum cocktail. Not good. Husband had two glasses of chardonnay Then we got the bill. $120 for a mediocre meal. not going back.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I can't wait to return and have more delicious oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryTobyDined on 8/20/2014Went for our anniversary, Our server surprised us with a glass of prosecco and special dessert for the occasion. While the kitchen was out of a few items our server had excellent suggestions. Food was delicious. Best of all you can make reservations at this OTR hot spot.Special Features:
- Over priced disappointmentMooseDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I took my step-son here for his birthday and an extraordinary experience in Cincinnati. The service was slow, inattentive and uncoordinated. The restaurant was not that crowded, but we had to wait way too long to order drinks and an appetizer. The waiter then made himself unavailable for questions until the appetizer came. No bread was served, he forgot a beer that had been ordered and there were no cracker or small fork provided for my wife to open up her shell fish and lobster. By the time she got a cracker, the meat was cold. This was a mediocre dining experience at a very premium price.Special Features:
- Our Brooklyn favorite in CincyryanahamiltonDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I just moved back to Cincy after 5 years in NYC. As luck would have it, The Anchor's Chef/Owner hails from one of our very favorite restaurants in our old Brooklyn neighborhood. Some of our favorites such as the boquerones, hush puppies, and bouillabaisse came too! With the beautiful location on the park, thoughtful dishes, and always pleasurable experience, The Anchor will always be at the top of our go-to list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.