1401 Race St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Over the Rhine
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theanchor-otr.com/
- Phone: 5134218111x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Derek dos Anjos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact us directly for seats on our patio for Lumenocity - August 1, 2 and 3, 2014. We are the only restaurant in Cincinnati with views of Music Hall for this magical performance.
A word from The Anchor
The Anchor is a seafood restaurant and oyster bar in the heart of beautiful and historic Over the Rhine. Located on the corner of 14th and Race, we are right across from Washington Park and Music Hall, making us a perfect destination for both pre and post theater meals. The Anchor is open for dinner Tuesdays through Saturday and lunch Thursdays through Saturday. We feature both traditional and communal seating. Enjoy fresh seafood delivered daily, a rotating selection of fresh east and west coast oysters, a variety of whole fish and other seafood specialties, including a classic New England lobster roll! If you have a party larger than 10 people, please call us directly to make a reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Anchor - Best Restaurants in Over the Rhine ›
The Anchor reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (82)neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (78)special occasion (47)hot spot (37)scenic view (31)romantic (29)good for groups (22)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Great seafoodGDocVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food and service were excellent. The menu seemed limited, but the specials were plentiful. Service was attentive and helpful, but low-key. All the shellfish choices - lobster, crab, and shrimp were delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed dinner. The service was very good and friendly. The food was delicious. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014I took my boyfriend here for a date night since we have never been and we thoroughly e joyed it. The service was great down to the food. The atmosphere was perfect along with the weather. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves some good seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourluluDined on 9/5/2014The happy hour oysters are a great value and delicious! Hard to choose from the list of great appetizers and dinners. The specials are great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood w/nice outdoor areaCC51Dined on 9/4/2014Sat outside, which had a very "Carolina" feel to it. I felt like we were there to eat seafood. We started with a few Oysters, then had the catch of the day (some sort of Yellow Fish) and scallops. The scallops were incredible. Their menu is not conventional, which is a plus. You can't get this food at a regular restaurant. The setting was just on the edge of Washington Park (very nice). Our server was very educated on the intricacies of the menu, which helped explain some of the items that I wasn't familiar with. They had the cleanest public restroom I've ever used. It was themed for the restaurant as well. Overall, it was a touch pricey for me, but definitely worth a visit every once in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J and b partyBb70Dined on 8/28/2014Always a great place to eat after bluegrass on ThursdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSeafoodLoverDined on 8/27/2014This was the third time I dined at The Achor. Although the food is good quality (not extraordinary), fresh and even creative, the poor service really impairs the overall experience. The drink I ordered was not as expected (completely different from the previous occasions when I ordered the same drink). The server took the drink back to the bar for an adjustment and when she returned she basically slammed the glass on the table and walked away without a word or a smile. I don't think I will be back anytime soon.Special Features:
- Will not go back anytime soonCincyChefDined on 8/23/2014This was our first time eating at Anchor. We had to wait in an overcrowded and noisy bar/reception area as there was no place to sit. Then, we were escorted to our table and immediately thought it was cramped and very, very loud as the furnishings and decor did nothing to absorb the chatter from all of the patrons. We also had a lot of time to watch the hostesses. They looked like high school students and were dressed to go to the gym, although all of the patrons were dressed very nicely. The food was good, but we didn't feel it warranted the prices.Special Features:
- Overpriced and crummy foodUnhappy2Dined on 8/23/2014We sat outside, which was lovely, since it is on Washington Square. So we were pumped to enjoy a wonderful meal. Got the calamari which was rubbery and had a tasteless sauce. I got the tiger shrimp sandwich. The HUGH bun was delicious as was the sauce. Hard to find or taste the 6 small shrimp, however. My husband got the bass and said although the fish was good, the sauce was lacking any flavor and the peadpods were not cooked. I had their rum cocktail. Not good. Husband had two glasses of chardonnay Then we got the bill. $120 for a mediocre meal. not going back.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I can't wait to return and have more delicious oysters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryTobyDined on 8/20/2014Went for our anniversary, Our server surprised us with a glass of prosecco and special dessert for the occasion. While the kitchen was out of a few items our server had excellent suggestions. Food was delicious. Best of all you can make reservations at this OTR hot spot.Special Features:
- Over priced disappointmentMooseDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I took my step-son here for his birthday and an extraordinary experience in Cincinnati. The service was slow, inattentive and uncoordinated. The restaurant was not that crowded, but we had to wait way too long to order drinks and an appetizer. The waiter then made himself unavailable for questions until the appetizer came. No bread was served, he forgot a beer that had been ordered and there were no cracker or small fork provided for my wife to open up her shell fish and lobster. By the time she got a cracker, the meat was cold. This was a mediocre dining experience at a very premium price.Special Features:
- Our Brooklyn favorite in CincyryanahamiltonDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I just moved back to Cincy after 5 years in NYC. As luck would have it, The Anchor's Chef/Owner hails from one of our very favorite restaurants in our old Brooklyn neighborhood. Some of our favorites such as the boquerones, hush puppies, and bouillabaisse came too! With the beautiful location on the park, thoughtful dishes, and always pleasurable experience, The Anchor will always be at the top of our go-to list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much fun...SplendidTableDined on 8/7/2014The staff was incredibly accommodating, the menu eclectic and the $1 oysters a surprise find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seat for LumenocityHbombDined on 8/2/2014I had to make reservations early, but it was well worth it to have one of the best seats in the city to watch Lumenocity 2014. The view from our table on the patio was amazing and we could see and hear the entire show. Our server was amazing and very attentive on one of their busiest nights of the year. The salmon deviled eggs were so good we placed an order for seconds! My wife ordered the sea scallops and couldn't stop raving about them and I ordered the trout BLT which was great. We will definitely be back soon!Special Features:
- Expected morestephDined on 8/2/2014I had a dinner reservation for 7:45 on a Saturday evening, we were not seated until 8:15. The hostess explained it was because the mayor had come in and they were trying to wait for his party to pay and leave. Mayor or not, reservations or not, I had a reservation at 7:45 and was not seated on time. I also want to add that I was contacted 1 week prior to provide a credit card to secure my reservation time(due to the fact it was Lumenocity). They failed on holding to their end of the reservation.
- GemSusieDined on 7/31/20146:30pm reservation before the Lumenocity Dress Rehearsal. We were early and waited at the bar with some Stowaways (lethally delicious martinis on happy hour special for $6). My date had the Lobster Roll special (divine) and I had the New England Clam Chowder and Crawfish Beignets-both amazing. Bar is intimate and spartan-but a great introduction. Server was warm and personable-and very informative. Timing was excellent, wine selection was very desireable. Great date night place-perfect for any pre-Washington Park events. Also, found out that they are open for 24 hours. Will definitely keep that in the memory bank. Can't wait to go back and try the other items. Reliable source says the Trout BLT is fantastic. No trouble with noise at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MismatchSuzEDined on 7/31/2014The service was excellent. Prices seemed quite high so we all chose a low end meal, not there for a special occasion. My fish and chips cost more than at most places and the fish was tilapia! Chips ( fries) were bountiful and great, though. Should have done my homework for what we wanted, good food reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great place!clevelandroxDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food and terrific service from our waitress Molly and the Anchor staff. Oysters were terrific and the deviled eggs are the best we ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatMarkVIPDined on 7/29/2014Best fish and chips and NE Clam Chowder in CVG. Love the Deleware oysters. Nice patio overlooking Washington Park. We highly recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningTimeForChangeDined on 7/25/2014Started our evening with a sampling of 4 east coast and 1 west coast oysters, very nice presentation and excellent flavor. I had the scallops, another had 11/2 lb lobster, and lastly fish and chips. All were satisfactory or better, lobster was the somewhat disappointing dish. The menu now has the beer selection which needs improvement with a larger selection. I had a Bloody Mary with a lobster claw which was excellent. We wanted to order dessert but instead we were presented our check, so I would definitely recommend working with the servers on customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish sticks and fries?FarrangerDined on 7/25/2014Ordered Fish & Chips and a side of Cauliflower. The Cauliflower had a tangy sauce on it that we thought sounded nice but was actually too salty and was exacerbated by the lukewarm temperature. The Fish & Chips was very disappointing. Four, one inch thick, seven inch long strips of Tilapia as opposed Cod Mc Donald style french fries as opposed to steak fries or potato wedges. I'm not saying this combination couldn't work but they both tasted like they had been frozen (fish was tough and chewy)! We sent the Cauliflower back first then the fish & chips. We paid for the drinks, tipped and went across the street! I hear the have good Oysters.
- Love The AnchorMamiDined on 7/24/2014The Anchor was my choice for my birthday dinner. The food was fresh, well prepared and delicious. The service was professional and unobtrusive. I would recommend The Anchor to all who love good, fresh fish well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anchor is DelishBrownEyesDined on 7/24/2014Anchor is a gem! Great view, fabulous food, friendly service. Corner location makes it easy to access. Atmosphere is great for drinks with friends or a sit down dinner before heading to your favorite event. I enjoyed chilled King Crab with warm butter, pommes frites, and a tasty salted caramel pudding that arrives in a vintage ball glass (large enough to split). Over-the-Rhine continues to delight and if you haven't stopped by Anchor yet, I recommend you make plans this week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anchor for the winzomzomDined on 7/23/2014Great Dirty Martini's to go with your fresh seafood. Sitting on the patio listening to jazz at Washington Park made the dinner that much more enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor seating and yummy seafoodNantiqueDined on 7/23/2014It was so much fun sitting outdoors facing Washington Park on a Wednesday evening. I felt like I was in Paris. They have a small menu, but with good variety, oysters, lobster, crab legs... Nice wine choices and a full bar. I'll definitely be back. It was the perfect place to eat before the opera.Special Features:
- Very nice eveningMichael4306Dined on 7/19/2014Excellent service and very good food. I was surprised it wasn't more crowded, but we were there kind of late. It's a very nice location and a neat building, with other bars around. Especially good for dining and then walking around. Good overall experience.Special Features:
- service too fast!PradiptaDined on 7/19/2014Loved everything except for the three appetizers including the oysters arriving at exactly the same time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service great.fritoDined on 7/19/2014Service was great. Tuna bit fishy. The overall meal and experices was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be prepared to waitLivetoeatDined on 7/17/2014Our waitress was nice, however service could not have been slower. We waited forever for drinks, apps, entrees, dessert, even the bill took forever. It was a special occasion so we were not in a rush, having fun, however, it still felt like a lifetime before receiving anything we ordered. I ordered fish and chips, which I assumed was a safe, solid staple of this seafood restaurant. I was disappointed to bite into soggy fish sticks and almost cold, unremarkable French fries. Ordered caprese salad which featured unripened peaches and burnt toast. Grilled calamari was just ok. Oysters were great but because it was oyster night, the wait was 30 minutes for more. Cocktails were awesome, atmosphere great, everything else, disappointing.Special Features:
- Sit outside!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014This is a great new addition to OTR and is located adjacent to the newly renovated Washington Square Park with a view of the beautiful old Music Hall. Perfect for sitting outside on a summer evening, looking out across the park twinkling with lights and toward the setting sun. Service here is quite good and server was attentive; we were seated inside most recently and the music was a bit loud. The fish and chips were a bit soggy this night, but that's rare. The wine selection was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nearly perfect! Great flavorsShankweatherDined on 7/12/2014Our appetizers were Oysters Rockefeller and Crawfish Beignets. Both were outstanding. The aioli that came with the beignets was delicious. My wife ordered one of the specials, King Crab Legs. Some of the best crab I've ever tasted. It was served very cold, which we were not used to, but it was flavorful and juicy, and it came with a very light butter sauce. I order the Whole Fish of the Day, which was a variety I had never heard of and can't remember now. I ordered it "Thai-style" which covered the fish with strips of mango, onion, nuts, and a lightly sweet and spicy sauce. The only complaint I have for the entire meal was that the mango could have been a little riper. But those flavors came together so well it hardly mattered. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and deliciouspickypalateDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I went to The Anchor for a date night and loved it. We highly recommend the deviled eggs with smoked salmon... AMAZING. I really enjoyed the trout BLT and my husband liked the shrimp and grits. Only downside was pricing. We knew of the pricing prior to going, but wanted to try it anyway. We were not disappointed. We will definitely be returning just not as frequently as we would like due to price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so muchLorinnVIPDined on 7/10/2014Appetizers are the best thing here. They have good happy hour prices on drinks. Service is very slow and the main dishes aren't so great.
- More pretentious than it deservesToxyLadyDined on 7/10/2014The food was solid and service solid, but nothing spectacular. Paid 4.50 for an oyster that I almost needed a microscope to find. Did not meet my expectations.Special Features:
- Would definitely recommendmomanddaughterfoodiesDined on 7/5/2014My daughter and I sat outside and enjoyed a fabulous lunch. I had the Trout BLT which was delicious and cooked perfectly. We also enjoyed the Crawfish Beignets and ordered Elotes with our lunch as a side dish. Would highly recommend The Anchor and cannot wait to partake in their dinner menu. My only complaint would be the server did not inform us of the "wholefish of the day" nor did she recommend any side dishes. The Elotes were a dish we requested after our initial order. However she was very nice and professional. This certainly would not prevent me from eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OTRlovinfamDined on 7/2/2014Food was overpriced and portions were very small for the price. Didn't care for the calamari sauce or lobster roll sauce. LOVED the Mexican corn on the cob....best I ever had.Special Features:
- BobRVIPDined on 6/28/2014First time at restaurant. Limited entrees on menu, but many great daily specials to choose. Enjoyed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014I'm the frugal sort, so $71+tip is too high for me for a dinner for two. (only had one drink each). Wont be back due to price. other opportunities for fewer $. Food is good, but not worth $71 to me. Excellent location.Special Features:
- Beautiful eveningBrooDined on 6/24/2014Spent a very pleasant "ladies night" with attentive service from Josh. Arrived early as we had heard how crowded it gets and were surprised to be the first patrons of the evening (it filled up as we left).Food and drinks were delicious, but a bit on the pricey side. It was hard to choose from all the inventive seafood menu options and specials. In the end we started with iced oysters and Oysters Rockefeller. Then we split the Oyster Po-boy and Lobster Roll. Staff brought the plates already split, including the sides of a tasty slaw and crisp french fries. We had started on the outside porch, but even though the table was covered, a rainstorm eventually blew into the dining area. Wait staff was very helpful in relocating us inside.Special Features: