The American Restaurant
200 East 25th Street, Suite 400
Mailing address: 200 East 25th Street, Suite 400
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
The American Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.theamericankc.com/
- Phone: 8165458001x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday - Saturday
Lounge opens at 4pm
Dinner reservations begin at 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Corvino
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Limited to size & certain dates.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating a wedding anniversary or lucrative business deal, entertaining clients with an upscale reception or a five course dinner, The American Restaurant offers the perfect setting for your event.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Meade Eastman 8165458001x
- Entertainment: Jazz Singer & Piano most Wednesday and Saturday Nights.
A word from The American Restaurant
Voted #1 by the Kansas City public many times over, The American Restaurant is known for it's award winning contemporary cuisine. The extensive award winning wine list is one of the best in the city. The restaurant favors 3 story windows which give way to a spectacular view of the Kansas City Skyline.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The American Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard ›
The American Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (35)scenic view (32)romantic (32)notable wine list (29)fit for foodies (27)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- special timegreattimeDined on 10/11/2014The ambience is really awesome with the view of the downtown. Suits for a special ocassionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary LocationDannySDined on 10/11/2014We went here for our 7th wedding Anniversary and had a great experience. Service and food were great along with the viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014Staff were excellent. Menu and concept of food were confusing. Food was good not great. To expensive for the quality.Special Features:
- Tired restaurant. Needs makeover.nyc2kcDined on 9/26/2014I took my wife here for our one year anniversary after hearing this is the best place in town. That may have been true 30 years ago. My heart sank when I saw the dining room was 80% empty on a Friday night at 8pm. Although there weren't enough diners to get statistical significance, I'd say the average age of the American's patrons is 70. The service is knowledgeable and very attentive, especially given they outnumber the customers 3 to 1. The menu was interesting and one of the better we've seen in Kansas City but geared towards the tasting menu with limited a la carte options. The appetizers were good, but the entrees were served cold. 21st century furniture and carpet would go go a long way. The price demands a better atmosphere.Special Features:
- Food-amazing; upholstery-updateLhc5Dined on 9/20/2014The food and service are amazing! The tasting menu was out of this world - and I am a picky eater. Ever course was the perfect size and taste. The decor is striking, but the background pieces (chairs, upholstery, etc.) and the entry desperately needs to be updated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & SurprisingDonnellyDinesDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant was AMAZING! The atmosphere from the moment you set down until the moment you leave is outstanding. Even though you are seated in a room of tables you feel as though your in a private dining room. Everything is personal and tailored to the group at the table. The menu is fantastic and ever evolving. Great current takes on classic dishes - truly inspiring to see a chef that loves food!Special Features:
- superb dining experienceLondon2OlatheDined on 9/20/2014This is as good at anything I have had in Paris, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, Dubai, etc. Outstanding menu and all prepared perfectly. Plan on taking the time to savor the flavors and not rush the dinner as we did trying to make a theatre time. Window seats are nice overlooking the fountains down below. Starters are a bit small, main courses just fine, and desert good as well. The bar is known for their extensive cocktail list and ability to remember each guest for years on end. Price is commensurate with the dining experience,but easily half of what it would cost in paris or London where we lived the past 8 years. This is 5 star food and not to be confused with a typical high end steak house.Special Features:
- Why You must eat at the AmericanDavidDined on 9/9/2014Recently returned from LA an Santa Barbara. This restaurant compares well and must be experienced by anyone who considers themselves a "foodie". Unlike many restaurants they allow some mixing of tasting menus. The new chef has merged molecular style with real food. The outcome is wonderful. Our 3 hours seemed brief and Nick is still the master of desserts. Not as showing as Alinea but a must to sample.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenominalYumnumDined on 8/29/2014Overall an amazing experience, the service was outstanding, the food was a fun adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The American RestaurantXanonDined on 8/29/2014The American restaurant has to be Kansas City's top dining experience. Very experienced staff introduce you to a most unique menu. I would recommend it for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion AND Everyday ValueSouthernTransplant1Dined on 8/29/2014Our party of 6 was celebrating our anniversary, a wedding, and a new home purchase, so we stayed at a Crown Center area hotel and walked a block to the American. We had the chef's various "tasting menus" and were very impressed. (Our daughter greatly enjoyed her vegetarian choices). The mixed drinks were potent, the views inside and out panoramic, the waiters professional and genial, and the ambiance soothing, gorgeous and fun, not stuffy or crowded. The prices were reasonable given the quality, portions & wellness. I lived in KC in the 90s and heard that all the "Chicago railroad barons" went there, and now we know why. We will definitely go back, and not just for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner at the AmericanKCBrianDined on 8/28/2014The American restaurant is one of the best restaurants in kansas city with a superb wine cellar. We celebrated our anniversary on a Thur night which was also 50% off on all wines 2000 or older, which was a fantastic deal! The food was, as always, superb. We brought our own bottle of vintage champage and purchased a gorgeous 1995 Chateau Angelus to have with dinner. The service is always exceptional and the view out of the huge windows is just perfect as you get to view the kansas city skyline. Strongly recommend the American for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Superb dining in BBQ landpunkyddDined on 8/23/2014A near world class dining experience in Kansas City, no BBQ in sight. Skipping a tasting menu would be a shame, as you will miss many never dreamed of ingredient and taste combinations. The staff genuinely understood the menu offerings. Deep wine list and great course wine pairings. A couple minor quibbles - a beef "done two ways" was a little too tough, braised fennel too stringy to eat, and the decor of the high ceilinged dining room, although quiet and roomy, is quite sixties-ish and dated (the Sinatra tape playing on loop didn't help). The restaurant is part of the Hallmark Cards corporate complex, which could explain. We had a wonderful meal and overall enjoyable dining experience with friendly, casual yet professional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!HawkeyeDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful, uniquely different menu. Unexpected & unusual combinations of flavors with great outcome. It was a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael Does it againOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/14/2014Again, one of the most fabulous evenings ever. Everything prepared to perfection with amazing style and palate. Fabulous wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceKrisDined on 8/7/2014My spouse and I ordered two different tasting menu with the wine pairings. It was a special evening. The food is very, very good. Very creative. The wine pairings were nice, but a little too desserty for my taste on the last two courses. The service is truly impeccable, but also very friendly (Midwestern thing). Lovely evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Perfect service from Nick and the rest of the staff - could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive La RenaissanceDD99VIPDined on 8/1/2014After several moribund decades, The American has reclaimed its rightful position at the top of the KC food chain. Driven by an inventive new chef, the place hums with new energy, scheduling special events too numerous to mention. Now again best in town for serious diners' "special night out." Could use a facelift, though -- carpet, restrooms, chairs, black tablecloths have got to go.Special Features:
- American disappointingBlameitonrioDined on 7/26/2014We dined at the American Restaurant on Saturday night and were highly disappointed! We're fairly open-minded with food and adventurous and therefore always get a tasting menu at a restaurant when it's presented to us. The American's courses were just not good, in some cases. A caviar course (was decent), followed by a trout roe course (2 fish egg courses in a row??, and was not good), followed by a snail and rose water course (not sure if anyone had actually tasted this one, but was awful). 2 main courses were good, cheese course was good, dessert course was ruined by the tobacco flavored ice cream served on the side, which burns the throat. Typically like unusual food, but if tastes good. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Best in KC!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Chef Corvino has raised the bar at the American to a level not seen since the 90's. Everything was absolutely delicious. I especially enjoyed the uni and canteloupe dish along with the beef tartare. If you have not been to the American recently, you have to make it happen. Best food in KC right now along with the top notch service you expect from the classic fine dining venue.Special Features:
- Still One of the BestBobBDined on 7/17/2014The American Restaurant has been around for quite a while but it remains one of the truly top end dinner spots in Kansas City. The service is excellent and the food superb. Expensive with portions that are rather small, however the quality, preparation and presentation are all impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKarenVIPDined on 7/16/2014Our dinner was lovely. Service was impeccable. The meal was interesting and delicious. It was very, very expensive. Definitely a special occasion restaurant. Beautiful room and view, too.Special Features:
- For adventurous foodies...AnniversaryDinerDined on 7/3/2014I was excited to try the American. My first impression upon walking in was not positive. The decor has not been updated since the restaurant was built in 1974. It was no doubt at the height of architectural style then but to be honest I felt like we were dining at a bad yard sale. The view is wonderful. The food is art. The presentations and flavor combinations were unlike anything I had experienced. Unfortunately, for someone without the benefit of culinary education or practice it was hard to fully appreciate. I am certain the American is at the height of the culinary arts. I was simply not cultured enough to fully appreciate it. If you are you will likely enjoy it. If you are not you might want to spend your hard earned money elsewhere.Special Features:
- The following 773 reviews are from the The American Restaurant reviews archive.
- BelleDined on 6/28/2014The food and service was superb and we highly reccomend this to everyone.What a great anniversary dinner. I thought I had ate good salmon all over the world but nothing and I mean nothing could touch what I had on Saturday night(June 28th).Excellent ,excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing . . .DiningSistersDined on 6/26/2014In conjunction with our farewell to Willie, we took my sister from NJ to The American last week. Our experience was incredible - impeccable service, exquisite food and presentation, beautifully paired wines. The American is one of the best restaurants we've experienced . . .Special Features:
- 618-231-2700fmeaVIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was artfully prepared and presented. Rather than order off one of the "tasting's," our table all opted to order from the ala carte menu. For the price, the portions were exceedingly small. I have eaten at a number of restaurants that presented small portions in a tasting ensemble, with 7 to 9 courses and was quite happy with them, but with the small portions, even after desert, we all left hungry.Special Features:
- DisappointingKCdinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Some dishes were excellent (white asparagus soup w/ poached egg, Maine scallops) while others were disappointing (oysters & caviar, pacific black cod, ispahan). Oysters & caviar included only 1 oyster & a small amount of caviar; black cod was nicely prepared but accompaniments were very sparse (only 2 or 3 fava beans & 2 or 3 mushrooms). The dessert, ispahan, was barely edible - way too perfumy. The service (Jared) was superb & the atmosphere, as always is incomparable. However, for what was charged, we are hard-pressed to recommend the American. Incidentally, our experience with this restaurant goes back some 30 years.Special Features:
- Legacy DisappointmentBillVIPDined on 6/17/2014Although the room was lovely and service excellent as always, we were disappointed in the 40th Anniversary Legacy Dinner. As my wife said, people shouldn't leave a $300 dinner feeling hungry. This was aggravated by waiting over 30 minutes between courses which is hard to understand since room wasn't full despite reservations being full. Tasting menu and wine flights were elegant to view but not filling to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American's 40th anniversaryTravelingFoodieDined on 6/17/2014This evening was fantastic! the food was really out of this world. It helped us appreciate that the Kansas City Food scene is full of great energy. Featuring six chefs - one for each course, amazing wine pairings. It was absolutely delightful, every detail was perfect. The meal (including the win pairings) was quite expensive, but for such a special meal, it was a worthy indulgence. The actual reservation process on open table was a little clunky, because it was a special event. American restaurant has had to call me back to confirm that I understood it was a special event. Would be great if there was a way for open table to know that.Special Features:
- I'll be back.PDiddy1234NotDined on 6/13/2014Great service. Great Chefs & kitchen crew. Exciting food. Can't wait to return. Amazing. Since thanks. Much gratitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor valueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2014Limited menu, lamb ribeye the fattest I've EVER had, portions small, staff stiff, best thing about it was bartender and he is retiring July 1!
- Underwhelmed 5 starKCDiner57Dined on 6/6/2014We asked for a window table and told it was reserved - no one ever showed. The choices of entrées were limiting. Wine list too complicated. Ordered a 2009 Cakebread Cab and sommelier brought a 2010 and didn't even know the difference until we said something. He did not try to help us with another selection. Also this vintage was less expensive but he did not offer to give us any credit. They triple the cost of their wine. The portions in the tasting were really small. In a 5 star you should never have to ask for anything - for example ice or butter refills. And finally - we had looked forward to using the credit on our KC Originals card - only to be told that they could not redeem any points, only add them.
- ExcellentSandyVIPDined on 6/4/2014Our server was very helpful with selections on menu. Food delicious. Made our anniversary a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd time not a charmMemphisDined on 6/2/2014This was my third visit and while the first two experiences were outstanding, this dinner fell short of our expectations. Specifically, the Pacific Cod had a poor presentation, tasted weird and had a pasty texture. Otherwise the experience was as expected.Special Features:
- The Art of Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/30/2014We were in town for a weekend, and were very impressed. Excellent views of downtown, regal interior, classic feel. While the decor and ambience are a bit "old school", the food is contemporary and inventive, and the wine list outstanding. Highly recommend the tasting menus with the wine pairings, you will have the best experience. Molecular gastronomy meets Walla Walla tradition. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceWorldTravelersDined on 5/29/2014This was our first time eating at the American. Every dish was a delicate work of art. Presentation was exquisite, and the flavors were amazing. One of the best meals we've ever had - anywhere.Special Features:
- Not Impressedbullfrog2424Dined on 5/24/2014We went to the American for our 11 year wedding anniversary. My wife has always wanted the fine dining experience s i I surprised her with dinner. The restaurant was a bit outdated but beautiful none the less. The food on the other hand was by far not to our liking! The menu was extremely vague and we had not expected anything to taste the way it did. No disrespect to the chef but the "experience" 10 course meal was apparently not suitable for our "less than sophisticated" palates. We did however enjoy our experience very much!Special Features:
- LaughableDjbaanDined on 5/24/2014The restaurant looks as though it has not been updated since it opened. It does, however, offer a beautiful view of the Kasas City skyline. That is the only positive thing I can say about it, though. It is extremely overpriced and everything we had was average, at best. My husband and I each had an appetizer and entree but were so disappointed with those courses that we did not order dessert. The portions were so small that I went home and ate leftovers from the restaurant we had eaten at the night before. Needless to say, we will never go back.
- Big Anniversary!JoeWDined on 5/22/2014We celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary with a special dinner here. It exceeded our expectations! Food and service were world class. We will be sure to come here more often than just for a special occasion. Savvy KC diners should rediscover this local gem!Special Features:
- Making a Special Night MagicalLibbyPeachesDined on 5/17/2014The service, wine list, and tasting menu at The American Restaurant made celebrating a milestone in my marriage unforgettable. The servers were attentive, friendly, unobtrusive, and honestly made us feel special, like we were at a cozy dinner party more than a formal restaurant. The pacing of the chef's tasting menu, which was explained in loving detail by our servers, was leisurely, allowing us to savor the mind-numbing combinations of flavor and never rushing us. The view was spectacular, the live music both celebratory and low-key. I will recommend this place for anyone craving that feeling of being well-cared for and well-fed, and will most definitely be back to celebrate!Special Features: