The Alehouse Columbia
6480 Dobbin Center Way
Columbia, MD 21045Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Alehouse Columbia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thealehousecolumbia.com/
- Phone: (443) 546-3640
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday night in the bar after 9pm.
A word from The Alehouse Columbia
Join us for dinner, then stay for drinks and live entertainment in our indoor bars or on our spacious back patio. Watch your favorite teams on our 50+ big screens, host a party in one of our private rooms or just relax with a cocktail under the stars. At The Ale House Columbia, you'll find great food, expertly-crafted drinks and Howard County's best nightlife.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Alehouse Columbia - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Alehouse Columbia reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (48)vibrant bar scene (37)neighborhood gem (30)great for outdoor dining (23)hot spot (23)fit for foodies (22)great for lunch (21)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)special occasion (6)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Ale house bluesAnotherMarylanderDined on 11/21/2014Went on a Friday night with reservations for two. Service was awesome, helped me choose a delicious round of beers. Server seemed to know the menu well and helped in selection, which I really appreciate. However, the food was not up to par. Salad was iceberg and soggy, and the ribs were entirely too fatty. I mean 75% fat and more or less inedible. I suppose we would have been better off with a pair or burgers, but we were extremely disappointed because we've been waiting a while to go here and I happen to like ribs!
- Good food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We had wings, a pork tenderloin and a crab flatbread. Everything came out quickly and it was all good and we would order all of them again. And we really loved the wings. Plus our waitress was really friendly and gave us great recommendations.Special Features:
- DisappointingDMattVIPDined on 11/21/2014We have been to the Alehouse before and have had a good time. My husband especially enjoys the beers. However, it will be a long time before we try the Alehouse again. Our appetizer of Calamari was tasty, however, the description did not say anything about it being breaded and fried. Our dinners arrived before we were finished with the app, making us feel rushed through our meal. My husbands bratwurst burger was tasteless and unremarkable. My fish tacos were laughable. I couldn't believe anyone in the kitchen would have been satisfied with that dish. The so-called mahi mahi consisted of one two inch long piece of fried unidentifiable bits in each taco. Now we have actually had this dish before and it was nothing like what i was served. We were seated in the bar area, near three very loud and vulgar people at the bar. The language was unacceptable for a public space and as the evening went on, got even worse. So, $77 later, we left, angry that we had allowed the Alehouse to take so much of our time and money.
- Best for Young CrowdBeckyCDined on 11/15/2014This place is ideal for younger folks who like the energetic noise level, the long list of exotic beers, and the many TV screens featuring sports events. My friend and I had not realized that the Ale House would be like this, but just wanted a casual restaurant for dinner before a concert. The service was excellent and personable, we never had to wait for attention when we needed it, the hostess followed our request to place us in a booth which was not as noisy as other parts of the place (my friend has issues with hearing) The food was delicious and rather too abundant, so that we took home a good portion with us. We will not return because it is not our style, but could recommend this to our younger friends who will enjoy the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodbeermeDined on 11/8/2014Bar & restaurant were full of life. Wings were delicious. Cuban sandwich was dry. Beer selecction was excellent. New bartender was "in training" - our friend had to send back her cosmo. New one made - spot on. Overall a good experience and would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer for everyonemaverickVIPDined on 11/1/2014A lot of beer options. Always good service and they have good suggestions for the beer options.
- Good People, Good AtmosphereDaveDined on 10/26/2014We had a very good time. Their deck bar shares an inside area. This was great because the temp was perfect but it was very windy. We got to sit inside while still feeling like we were dining al fresco. Both bartenders we had were VERY friendly and attentive (without being obtrusive). We were there on a Sunday evening though, and the food was sub-par. The Alehouse burger was VERY good (you better do a burger well!). The crab pizza, though, tasted sour and had no real crab on it at all (scrod doesn't cut it in Maryland). The beer selection was fantastic (I'm a beer snob), and Kyle (?) our bartender kept pace with me with all my beer snobbery. It's a bit of a hike for us, but this will definitely be a go-to when we are in the Columbia Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentShazamVIPDined on 10/14/2014We usually have brunch or lunch at The Alehouse but tried dinner on a Tuesday night during an O's game. We're not big sports fans but it was fun being in the bar and watching the game with everyone. But we were talking easily among ourselves, the game wasn't too loud or overwhelming like it can be at some sports bars. The food and service were both excellent as usual, especially the selections from the Oktoberfest menu. The Alehouse seems to have it down pat, congrats!Special Features:
- Ale HouseWallyDined on 10/11/2014The Ale house offers an interesting menu fit for the season. Their October Fest sections paired well with the many beer choices. The wait staff was fast and courteous and friendly.Special Features:
- OktoberfestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014I enjoyed the seasonal beer and loved that I was able to get a stein!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all aroundbeergeekVIPDined on 10/5/2014We visit the Ale House often, but the review is for this particular visit. Our server, Mavis, was exceptional. She was very knowledgeable and friendly and fun. The beer list is always top notch and you can find your trusted favorites plus rare gems. The menu is just right- not overwhelming with too many choices, but still diverse. My grilled salmon salad was probably the best I've had, and it was so large that I took half home. Try the kobe beef sliders! The Oktoberfest menu right now is also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Outdoor SpaceAewachiwDined on 9/27/2014We always enjoy the excellent beer selection, but what makes this place stand out is the excellent outdoor bar and dining. Wish we had something like this closer to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost thereBillsbestfriendVIPDined on 9/27/2014Although pretty busy, the service was really slow - seemed one waiter had toooo many tables & was late with everything. Food was very good as usual & will go back again for a hopefully better service experience! Great onion soup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great relaxing eveningluvmyfoodDined on 9/20/2014We chose to eat outside so it was very relaxing - the patio area is nice and the bar was busy but not noisy. Inside bar area was a bit more boisterous. The food is delicious and caters to a wide audience including fit items, veggie items as well as a variety of entrees and appetizers. The service has always been great and personalized. I visit often!Special Features:
- Continued good food & serviceHUDiva35Dined on 9/18/2014We've continued to have consistently good food & service over the past year. The restaurant has become part of our rotation especially when we're out with the kids. You can easily go from adult time to family time here. Don't expect a quiet corner though, it's a lively restaurant with lots of laughter, talking and sports on multiple big screens. Definitely recommend for a fun night out. Large selection of beer & other drinks tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dinner outagirlsgottaeatVIPDined on 9/13/2014The Alehouse does not disappoint for dinner. There were four people in our dining group and each got a very different type of entree from prime rib to crab cakes to hamburger. Everyone was happy and substitutions and special requests were happily acted upon. The beer selection was truly impressive and their own brews are of a quality that even picky craft beer lovers (of which I am one) will be happy. The 5 oz pours let you sample a wide variety, while the larger pours allow you to savor your favorites without having to ask for a second pint when all you wanted was a slightly larger beverage. I wish more restaurants did the small/regular/large pour options!Special Features:
- Delicious as AlwaysDawnBVIPDined on 9/9/2014Love the food, great beer selection, and great location. Parking could be better but the valet service helps!Special Features:
- Lager, Pilsner or Ale and good foodcindersailVIPDined on 9/7/2014The group of the four of us agreed that we would return to The Alehouse Columbia. The food was good and everyone enjoyed their dishes. We split an order of Baked Pretzels which was loaded with garliky butter, salt and herbs. It came with a zingy mustard sauce and was delicious. I had a delicious cheddarburger with beach fries (like the ones made by Thrashers). It was cooked perfectly and was jucy and perfect for me. One of our party had the soba noodles and she said the flavor was just wonderful. The Salmon BLT was tender, juicy and looked and tasted fresh. The dessert menu was the usual offerings and nothing we chose stood out. Mostly it was all very sweet.Special Features:
- A sports bar in the endfishloverDined on 9/6/2014I like this restaurant and have been here several times, but now I think it should be billed as a sports bar. It was really too loud this time. It's true that a bunch of a people were excited about a football game, but my friend and I had no choice but to be near their yelling. I got the salmon salad and when was disappointed that the lettuce was mostly or entirely iceberg. My friend liked the ribs he ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Ale-ing me now!KCd9sDined on 9/6/2014This was my second time at the Alehouse. Both have been fabulous! My wife and I made reservations on OpenTable and were seated immediately once we arrived. Comfortable booth with good visibility to the many monitors around the restaurant (but not so many to be distracting). Very good selection of their own brews and brews from other places. Our server, Justin, was very knowledgeable and helpful in making our selections. The menu had a good variety of choices. Appetizers, entrees, and dessert were all top-notch. Justin made several stops at our table throughout the evening to make sure that we were happy. We never felt rushed. We left full and satisfied. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining food qualitygmdinmdVIPDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant has been a favorite of ours since it opened, but after the last few visits we've noticed the quality of the food and its preparation declining significantly. I'm hoping its just growing pains and they get back to the high standards they set for themselves, but overall it was a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- give a pass on brunchPatrice16VIPDined on 8/31/2014We tried this place because they had a brunch menu. We ordered Eggs Benedict with tenderloin. The meat did not have any flavor to it and the portion sizes were incredibly small. The eggs were cooked perfectly, the asparagus was tender and cooked nicely. We enjoyed the "bottomless" mimosas. The brunch menu is fairly limited so we probably won't go back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting bar foodOu812Dined on 8/30/2014The restaurant has bar food that is a little different. I have been to many places that do this sort of thing. I liked everything that we ordered. The waitress was outstanding and went out of her way to accomodate my food allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We received a gift certificate to The Alehouse because we like trying different beers. What a selection! And with 5 oz. pours, we were able to sample quite a few, all of them really good. The food was delicious. with a good selection of options. What really made our evening was our server, Jasmine. She was friendly, knowledgeable about the beer list, and gave us plenty of time to review everything before making our selections. In a restaurant that was hopping on a Friday night, our party of four was not rushed at all. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Evening OutTlsmcgDined on 8/23/2014My Fiancé truly enjoy having friends and family at the Alehouse. We have hosted our entire family and wedding party at the Alehouse for a family dinner and the service was great! We enjoyed a wonderful meal, fun environment and lively evening. They were very accommodating with the amount of people in our party and are really great about keeping your reservation on time. We love the Alehouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I have been here a few times, with and without kids. The food is great and the ambience is lively but we can still carry on a conversation. The beer list is very impressive. The prime rib is YUMMY!Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014We especially appreciated the staff accommodating a last minute request to change our table from 4 and a baby to 8 and the baby. We bumped into family members and wanted to sit together and the staff went out of their way to make it happen. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wonderful serviceHUDiva35Dined on 8/22/2014Our 4th visit with the kids. Service was exceptional from Justin. Food was great as usual. Nice beer choices. No complaints. Every visit has been great. We'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You Like Beer This Is The SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014Phenomenal beer selection. Even if you're not a real beer lover, you'll find something to like here. Best yet, is the offerings are in various sizes so you can taste something without a huge commitment, or have a small glass and still drive home! The food is good although for my tastes it tends toward the creamy, cheesy, and fatty side. Dishes are attractive when they come to the table, and we enjoyed the salmon with asparagus and other side vegetables and the chicken tacos. Our server was very attentive and helpful.
- Great first impression!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Loved the option of having a 4oz or 10oz draft beer/cider instead of an entire 12oz drink. Also, enjoyed the huge salad that was enough for two meals! Prices were reasonable and food was delicious. Will definitely be back to try more of the menu!Special Features:
- Good Beer Selection - Standard FoodrhumrunnerDined on 8/5/2014Ale House has a good beer selection, and the pub food you'd expect to accompany it. We enjoyed the soft pretzels and our respective meals, but none of us felt that we'd HAVE to return here - the food is pretty similar to what you'd find at similar restaurants. Parking, as always in this shopping center since AH opened, was an adventure, but each of us did eventually find a spot. This place won the vote for group dinner because it's one of the least chain-y restaurants in Columbia, and we had a fine, though not stand-out, meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return for moreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Fun atmosphere, lots of TVs and food was great. Large draft Beer selection a BIG plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 298 reviews are from the The Alehouse Columbia reviews archive.
- JHMMJHMMVIPDined on 7/29/2014There's a wide selection of beer to pick from. What's great is that they have a beer special for the night. The only downside is that parking is horrible.. So either you get there early or later in the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DMattVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great selection of craft beers, really enjoyed the English dark ale, not one you see often. Food was very good - like the best bar food ever, in fact, it's so much better than normal bar food we shouldn't call it that. Only our 2nd time there, but we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal and great beer listSarahDined on 7/26/2014The service was great and the food was absolutely delicious. I definitely recommend the pretzels and onion soup to start, and the prime rib was fantastic. I tried several of the MANY beers on the list--made possible because you can order them in a 5oz size! I LOVE this feature. There are 4 sizes of all draft beers to order from. The only constructive criticism (not complaint!) that I have is that they may want to reduce their portion sizes a bit. I know this may sound ridiculous, but we got a truly staggering amount of food (a ~12" plate of kale stacked 6 inches high, and probably a square foot of prime rib). I would have happily paid just as much for about half the amount of food we got. I hope I can get creative with leftovers today!Special Features:
- Slightly Disappointed This TimeZC1030Dined on 7/25/2014We have always had good experiences here, but we walked away slightly disappointed this time. The restaurant was packed and as a result, it seemed like the kitchen was overwhelmed. Many of our dishes were overcooked and out cocktails were poorly made. We hope for a better dining experience next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we neededgettingthereDined on 7/20/2014We were traveling and looked up a place through Open Table to stop for a quick lunch. This was perfect. It was right off the highway, we got to sit outside, had good service and the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanserDined on 7/10/2014This was my 4th time dining here. My husband really loves the food and beer selection. I got the Salmon BLT minus the Bacon and it was really delicious. A few of my past dishes have not been that great. I was glad to find something on the menu for my tastes! The Orange Crush cocktail was a tasty treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timemartymar1970Dined on 7/6/2014Beer selection is top-notch. Burger cooked just right. Atmosphere is great for all occassions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My OpinionBessentialDined on 7/3/2014It's a nice upscale spot. If you like beer, Go. You won't be disappointed. My only thing was the Brisket platter. It was so so. Still a nice place to check out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.