The Alehouse Columbia
6480 Dobbin Center Way
Columbia, MD 21045Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Alehouse Columbia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thealehousecolumbia.com/
- Phone: 4435463640x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Burgers, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday night in the bar after 9pm.
A word from The Alehouse Columbia
Join us for dinner, then stay for drinks and live entertainment in our indoor bars or on our spacious back patio. Watch your favorite teams on our 50+ big screens, host a party in one of our private rooms or just relax with a cocktail under the stars. At The Ale House Columbia, you'll find great food, expertly-crafted drinks and Howard County's best nightlife.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Alehouse Columbia - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Alehouse Columbia reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (47)vibrant bar scene (47)great for outdoor dining (40)neighborhood gem (39)great for lunch (27)hot spot (27)kid-friendly (26)fit for foodies (26)late-night find (15)great for brunch (10)special occasion (8)notable wine list (4)romantic (1)Show More
- Fun dinner outagirlsgottaeatVIPDined on 9/13/2014The Alehouse does not disappoint for dinner. There were four people in our dining group and each got a very different type of entree from prime rib to crab cakes to hamburger. Everyone was happy and substitutions and special requests were happily acted upon. The beer selection was truly impressive and their own brews are of a quality that even picky craft beer lovers (of which I am one) will be happy. The 5 oz pours let you sample a wide variety, while the larger pours allow you to savor your favorites without having to ask for a second pint when all you wanted was a slightly larger beverage. I wish more restaurants did the small/regular/large pour options!Special Features:
- Delicious as AlwaysDawnBVIPDined on 9/9/2014Love the food, great beer selection, and great location. Parking could be better but the valet service helps!Special Features:
- Lager, Pilsner or Ale and good foodcindersailVIPDined on 9/7/2014The group of the four of us agreed that we would return to The Alehouse Columbia. The food was good and everyone enjoyed their dishes. We split an order of Baked Pretzels which was loaded with garliky butter, salt and herbs. It came with a zingy mustard sauce and was delicious. I had a delicious cheddarburger with beach fries (like the ones made by Thrashers). It was cooked perfectly and was jucy and perfect for me. One of our party had the soba noodles and she said the flavor was just wonderful. The Salmon BLT was tender, juicy and looked and tasted fresh. The dessert menu was the usual offerings and nothing we chose stood out. Mostly it was all very sweet.Special Features:
- A sports bar in the endfishloverDined on 9/6/2014I like this restaurant and have been here several times, but now I think it should be billed as a sports bar. It was really too loud this time. It's true that a bunch of a people were excited about a football game, but my friend and I had no choice but to be near their yelling. I got the salmon salad and when was disappointed that the lettuce was mostly or entirely iceberg. My friend liked the ribs he ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Ale-ing me now!KCd9sDined on 9/6/2014This was my second time at the Alehouse. Both have been fabulous! My wife and I made reservations on OpenTable and were seated immediately once we arrived. Comfortable booth with good visibility to the many monitors around the restaurant (but not so many to be distracting). Very good selection of their own brews and brews from other places. Our server, Justin, was very knowledgeable and helpful in making our selections. The menu had a good variety of choices. Appetizers, entrees, and dessert were all top-notch. Justin made several stops at our table throughout the evening to make sure that we were happy. We never felt rushed. We left full and satisfied. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining food qualitygmdinmdDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant has been a favorite of ours since it opened, but after the last few visits we've noticed the quality of the food and its preparation declining significantly. I'm hoping its just growing pains and they get back to the high standards they set for themselves, but overall it was a very disappointing experience.Special Features:
- give a pass on brunchPatrice16Dined on 8/31/2014We tried this place because they had a brunch menu. We ordered Eggs Benedict with tenderloin. The meat did not have any flavor to it and the portion sizes were incredibly small. The eggs were cooked perfectly, the asparagus was tender and cooked nicely. We enjoyed the "bottomless" mimosas. The brunch menu is fairly limited so we probably won't go back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting bar foodOu812Dined on 8/30/2014The restaurant has bar food that is a little different. I have been to many places that do this sort of thing. I liked everything that we ordered. The waitress was outstanding and went out of her way to accomodate my food allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We received a gift certificate to The Alehouse because we like trying different beers. What a selection! And with 5 oz. pours, we were able to sample quite a few, all of them really good. The food was delicious. with a good selection of options. What really made our evening was our server, Jasmine. She was friendly, knowledgeable about the beer list, and gave us plenty of time to review everything before making our selections. In a restaurant that was hopping on a Friday night, our party of four was not rushed at all. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I have been here a few times, with and without kids. The food is great and the ambience is lively but we can still carry on a conversation. The beer list is very impressive. The prime rib is YUMMY!Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014We especially appreciated the staff accommodating a last minute request to change our table from 4 and a baby to 8 and the baby. We bumped into family members and wanted to sit together and the staff went out of their way to make it happen. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wonderful serviceHUDiva35Dined on 8/22/2014Our 4th visit with the kids. Service was exceptional from Justin. Food was great as usual. Nice beer choices. No complaints. Every visit has been great. We'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You Like Beer This Is The SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014Phenomenal beer selection. Even if you're not a real beer lover, you'll find something to like here. Best yet, is the offerings are in various sizes so you can taste something without a huge commitment, or have a small glass and still drive home! The food is good although for my tastes it tends toward the creamy, cheesy, and fatty side. Dishes are attractive when they come to the table, and we enjoyed the salmon with asparagus and other side vegetables and the chicken tacos. Our server was very attentive and helpful.
- Great first impression!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Loved the option of having a 4oz or 10oz draft beer/cider instead of an entire 12oz drink. Also, enjoyed the huge salad that was enough for two meals! Prices were reasonable and food was delicious. Will definitely be back to try more of the menu!Special Features:
- Good Beer Selection - Standard FoodrhumrunnerDined on 8/5/2014Ale House has a good beer selection, and the pub food you'd expect to accompany it. We enjoyed the soft pretzels and our respective meals, but none of us felt that we'd HAVE to return here - the food is pretty similar to what you'd find at similar restaurants. Parking, as always in this shopping center since AH opened, was an adventure, but each of us did eventually find a spot. This place won the vote for group dinner because it's one of the least chain-y restaurants in Columbia, and we had a fine, though not stand-out, meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return for moreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Fun atmosphere, lots of TVs and food was great. Large draft Beer selection a BIG plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JHMMJHMMVIPDined on 7/29/2014There's a wide selection of beer to pick from. What's great is that they have a beer special for the night. The only downside is that parking is horrible.. So either you get there early or later in the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DMattVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great selection of craft beers, really enjoyed the English dark ale, not one you see often. Food was very good - like the best bar food ever, in fact, it's so much better than normal bar food we shouldn't call it that. Only our 2nd time there, but we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious meal and great beer listSarahDined on 7/26/2014The service was great and the food was absolutely delicious. I definitely recommend the pretzels and onion soup to start, and the prime rib was fantastic. I tried several of the MANY beers on the list--made possible because you can order them in a 5oz size! I LOVE this feature. There are 4 sizes of all draft beers to order from. The only constructive criticism (not complaint!) that I have is that they may want to reduce their portion sizes a bit. I know this may sound ridiculous, but we got a truly staggering amount of food (a ~12" plate of kale stacked 6 inches high, and probably a square foot of prime rib). I would have happily paid just as much for about half the amount of food we got. I hope I can get creative with leftovers today!Special Features:
- Slightly Disappointed This TimeZC1030Dined on 7/25/2014We have always had good experiences here, but we walked away slightly disappointed this time. The restaurant was packed and as a result, it seemed like the kitchen was overwhelmed. Many of our dishes were overcooked and out cocktails were poorly made. We hope for a better dining experience next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we neededgettingthereDined on 7/20/2014We were traveling and looked up a place through Open Table to stop for a quick lunch. This was perfect. It was right off the highway, we got to sit outside, had good service and the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanserDined on 7/10/2014This was my 4th time dining here. My husband really loves the food and beer selection. I got the Salmon BLT minus the Bacon and it was really delicious. A few of my past dishes have not been that great. I was glad to find something on the menu for my tastes! The Orange Crush cocktail was a tasty treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timemartymar1970Dined on 7/6/2014Beer selection is top-notch. Burger cooked just right. Atmosphere is great for all occassions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My OpinionBessentialDined on 7/3/2014It's a nice upscale spot. If you like beer, Go. You won't be disappointed. My only thing was the Brisket platter. It was so so. Still a nice place to check out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeryanmcq55VIPDined on 6/28/2014We had dinner with a reservation and sat right down. Great service and really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No SportsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014The food was great, the atmosphere was great, the beer was great, I just wish there were sports on while I was there since there were so many TVs. Oh, and the beer list was extensive but I wish it was a bit more detailed.Special Features:
- Great food, terrible serviceWorldCupwatcherDined on 6/26/2014We went to the Alehouse for the first time to watch the USA v Germany World Cup match. As expected, the restaurant was very busy but they also appeared to be short staffed. Our first round of drinks took 45 minutes to arrive and our second round of drinks never arrived despite our server "checking on them" twice and after speaking with a manager once. The bar only appeared to have one bartender working and our server had at least 6 tables, all of whom seemed to be having the same slow service we experienced. Our food was outstanding and I think our experience would have been much more enjoyable had enough staff been working.Special Features:
- Good menu and servicesevcoopVIPDined on 6/21/2014The Ale House was crowded on a recent Friday night but we were seated immediately with our reservation. We sat in a booth for two; unfortunately it was right next to a large party celebration (balloons included!) so it was rather noisy, but the party eventually ended and the room was quieter. Tons of beers to choose from and our waiter was extremely helpful with recommendations, both on drink and food. Great service overall and good food at reasonable prices. We would return.
- good food but very busyECpubDined on 6/21/2014Make reservations for sure. Food good with some twists on comfort food. Extensive beer list of course. Fish tacos very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as alwaysSylWillVIPDined on 6/19/2014We went for the Harpoon night and I really enjoyed my Big Crush beer. We tried the new crab flatbread pizza and it was delicious. The only thing I was disappointed by was that the person checking us in marked us as "cancelled" instead of being there. and that I couldn't get a growler of the Big Crush to take home.Special Features:
- great food!JoJoDined on 6/17/2014The atmosphere is great and the food matches it well. The fish (mahi) tacos are excellent and just the right size for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findGreeneyesVIPDined on 6/16/2014Glad we stopped in. Ate outside on deck. Very relaxing. Food was very good. Very kid friendly. Will go back,again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day LunchYumyumDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband and daughter here for Father's Day and this was our first time! We fell in love. The service was great and the food was even better! Looking forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; nice atmosphereColumbiaDinerDined on 6/14/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at the Ale House. Our food was delicious and we had friendly and attentive service. Even though it's a large restaurant with a bar and many large TV screens, the noise level was not bad. We went at 6:15 on a Saturday evening and had no problem parking. We had a reservation but there were plenty of available tables. They offer valet parking but it's really not necessary; although, maybe parking is harder to find later in the evening.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014We were seated promptly, and in a very comfortable, private booth. The waitress (Marisa) was excellent, and respected our wish not to hurry the dining experience as so many restaurants in Columbia and Ellicott City do. The spinach and artichoke dip was terrific, as were the buffalo shrimp. My wife had a salad that was large and fresh. I had the fish tacos, which were really very good (Mahi). The only quibble I have is that the martini wasn't very good. It was served in a stemless glass, and it wasn't very cold. But hey, the restaurant is an alehouse, so stick with the beer or one of their specialty drinks. All in all, the Alehouse is very good. Go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Columbia Meet-upClarityAnnDined on 6/11/2014Innovative casual bar gathering place - wide selection of beers - televisions everywhere - good quality food with creative touchs - high-end pub food. Can get noisy in the evenings with all the folks gathering, but adds to the celebratory ambience. Has outdoor patio, but we didn't eat there. Reservations were honored even though crowded on a weekday night. Parking can be a bit tricky, several businesses and restaurants in the same parking area. Service is good, efficient for a busy restaurant. Good choice for meeting up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Lovin' ItLaurVIPDined on 6/9/2014I feel like I'll never get tired of their Ale House Burger. It's just so delicious. And the service is great, which always makes us feel so welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MONKDined on 6/5/2014What can I say that has not been said before............"The Best Spot in Columbia - Inside or On the Patio" nothing has topped the continued great food and service since it opened!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Burgers!LaurVIPDined on 6/2/2014Their Ale House Burger is what keeps us going back! Service is very good (so many friendly waiters and waitresses), and the build-your-own-burger night is great. I do wish bbeers were a tad cheaper, but they're not a bad price if you go during happy hour. I definitely recommend trying their burgers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Quite BadFlowergirlDined on 5/28/2014I've eaten here twice before, but during lunch. I really liked the place. However, this time was disappointing. The bathroom smelled sour, most likely due to a dirty mop. Although, judging by all of the toilet paper on the floor, it probably hadn't been mopped in a while. I ordered the pulled pork meal. The sides of macaroni and cheese and the veggie slaw were great. The meat however, looked like it had been sitting around all day and recently reheated. Even though it was room temperature, in some spots, when I got it. I then got the beef brisket to replace. It was fatty and salty. And neither entree had any bread. How strange to have bbq and NO bread. I now have a tarnished impression of the place and may not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.