400 Haywood Rd
Asheville, NC 28806Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theadmiralnc.com/
- Phone: (828) 252-2541
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner service from 5pm - 9:45pm Monday -Sunday.
Late night Friday and Saturday until 2
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Candido
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner on Friday and Saturday we clear out our dining tables and transform the dining room into a unique dance floor. Voted best place place to dance by Mountain Express.
A word from The Admiral
Relying on timeless décor, gentle service, and inventive cuisine the Admiral serves delicious food without the restraints of convention. The menu changes daily to utilize seasonal flavors, locally produced foods, and new ideas. Reservations are strongly suggested, although bar seating is available on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Admiral - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Admiral reviews from OpenTable diners
300 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (256)neighborhood gem (192)special occasion (150)hot spot (89)romantic (84)late-night find (45)notable wine list (42)vibrant bar scene (37)good for groups (21)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- WOW! One of the Best Restaurants AnywhereFX14VIPDined on 11/26/2014Incredible. The highest quality food prepared to perfection. A restaurant that's hard to beat anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the friends were correct, the food is greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/26/2014The exterior is nothing special and interior says "dive bar", but the kitchen is outstanding and remarkably innovative. The presentation and taste was excellent. We spent a bit of time discussing if the food was so good because of the contrast with the setting. but, in the end, concluded that the food was great and somehow the funky ambiance was simply evidence of the owners focus on substance over style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so amazing, we went twiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/25/2014Cannot say enough good stuff about this place! We were visiting from out of town, and we enjoyed this place so much that we went twice during our visit. The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful- they contribute to the great vibe this place has. Definitely try one of their cocktails, one of them had celery bitters, and was extremely refreshing and flavorful...something I always look for as a gin lover. As far as the menu goes, you really can't go wrong. Highlights included the mussels, which were prepared in a broth that I would have poured in my mouth if I were alone. The beef tartare was absolutely outstanding as well. All in all, wish I could have stayed a few more nights so I could work my way through the rest of the menu. These guys are totally amazing at what they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014Since we had heard nothing but wonderful things about The Admiral, we decided to go there for our 36th Wedding Anniversary. So glad we did because everything was lovely. Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable with great suggestions for wine, portion sizes, and dishes. Every dish was excellent, especially the ribeye steak, so yummy. We will definitely return and bring friends next time...can't wait to try the scollops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in AVLMamaKDined on 11/22/2014As always, we were again reminded that the Admiral is the best restaurant in AVL. The food & service were excellent. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing EveningRonbDined on 11/20/2014Took guests to The Admiral with great expectations. Service was extremely slow and my wife's food arrived luke warm.
- FavoritefelipeDined on 11/20/2014My wife and came back for the second time last night to make sure the first one was not a fluke. Happy to say that it was even better. We ordered completely different dishes from the first time and all dishes were outstanding. Very creative and very appetizingly presented. The service is nice, friendly and attentive without being obtrusive. It has a friendly ambiance, like in a house ...with some people having a friendly drink by the bar. The Admiral is an oyster with a pearl: not so pretty on the outside, but when you open it, there is a gem inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WildBoyVIPDined on 11/18/2014Very unique, great food. Our waiter made the right recommendations in as few words as possible.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding DinnerSpitzieDined on 11/17/2014At first glance, both the outside & inside do not impress you as something that will turn out to be an absolutely wonderful dinner....but it truly is a top-notch restaurant. Service was very attentive and our server was extremely knowledgeable of both the wine and food. The menu is limited, but what we had just blew our minds. We choose a variety of small plates and loved each one. Their version of carpaccio was the best that we have ever had - and can't imagine anyone topping it. Our only disappointment is living 6 hours away. Make sure you have reservations any night of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty birthday partyCozyDinerDined on 11/13/2014Some friends and I went to celebrate a birthday. Good choice! The atmosphere is so informal, but the food is so memorably good...and artful. Terrific combination; never been any place quite like it. Good wine, pleasant server, excellent warm kale salad and braised short ribs, and a deconstructed pumpkin cranberry pie dessert that was most unusual and very good. My only small suggestion is that they might want to consider giving a birthday boy or girl a small free dessert with a candle...just to make it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- snoop530Dined on 11/12/2014Best dinner yet! It's been a tradition to eat here on anniversaries and special occations as we are able. It's worth the drive and I've never been dissapointed with anything I've had. The Pork Chop was cooked perfectly and was only my favorite part of a meal with little to criticize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningNancyandmarkDined on 11/12/2014We had a lovely experience at the Admiral, and will definitely eat there again when we return to Asheville. Our kale salad was surprising delicious. We also ordered the butternut squash soup appetizer, and loved every spoonful. We would also recommend the scallops, and the bacon creme brûlée for dessert. You won't be disappointed if you eat there, the food is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitWorththewaitDined on 11/11/2014We have lived in Asheville 5 years and have wanted to try The Admiral forever. Unfortunately every time we wanted to go there we couldn't get a reservation on the week end. After this last try we decided to go for the first opening and went on a Tuesday. We couldn't have been more pleased. We called and thanked our friend, Bill Minus, who was a regular before moving North.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014We have been going to the admiral periodically for the last 3 years. It has only gotten better with time--best restaurant in Asheville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent food and presentation. Comfortable atmosphere. We cant believe that we have never been here before!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtful DiningcyranoDined on 11/5/2014The Admiral is a still a hot spot in Asheville. You need to book in advance, although luck might prevail if you are willing to spend time at the bar — an enjoyable and cosy experience in itself. The key is scale. The interior is barely larger than a medium-sized classroom; chefs work in clear sight; the bar could be put on wheels and driven away. This means that you feel community as soon as you walk in, a potential event. The event is people enjoying themselves, with a menu that is thoughtful and inventive. The location, like many in West Asheville, makes you feel that your GPS got something wrong. It's between an auto junkyard and gas-grocery place. All the better! Enjoy the thrill of the wild side. Civilization is inside, waiting.Special Features:
- The bestTikkaDined on 11/4/2014Always consistently an excellent evening. The changing menu still includes old favorites. Wonderful evening, great service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014We were a party of four, and we all enjoyed our appetizers and main courses. The mussels and sauce are the BEST ever! Presentation of various dishes was lovely.Special Features:
- still strongdavoDined on 11/1/2014I had discovered the admiral soon after they first opened. Was a much more interesting, eclectic crowd back then, but they are s till strong in the culinary arts. Lots of changes in the kitchen, but still do a nice job. The small plates would be the star of the menu, in my opinionSpecial Features:
- Met expectationsTraveling4foodDined on 10/31/2014I had two friends and a magazine recommend the Admiral. It's easy to miss, the entrance is on the side of an unassuming building across from an unkept gas station. Dark and cozy on the inside, it's inviting and exciting. My wife and I split three small plates, all were exceptional in execution and creativity. The server took the time and thought to bring them out in a careful order while orchestrating with the kitchen and delivering the meals with in minutes of the previous plate being finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Skip the entrees and order multiple small plates for variety. Cocktails are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting foodWeDineAlotVIPDined on 10/28/2014Excellent! Got there a bit early but they had a table ready for us. Local Ashville brewery beers along with wonderful plates. Great!Special Features:
- A great placeWayneinTNDined on 10/28/2014Excellent service, great food. Just be sure to make your reservation well in advance. I'll definitely be back there!Special Features:
- Everything was wonderful!Luv4foodDined on 10/26/2014We were recommended to come here for dinner and so happy that we had this experience! The ambiance was awesome - low key and casual. Atmosphere was perfect for us- and the food was delicious! Every last bite! Definitely ask the server for recommendations....everything about The Admiral was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Group BirthdayLexisYummiesDined on 10/26/2014I took my best friend and her brother here for their birthdays and we split several plates and desserts and had an excellent red wine. The room was abuzz with positive energy, yet quiet enough for us to enjoy our conversations. I will keep returning as long as they are there.Special Features:
- Hard to beat!bacagainDined on 10/25/2014We usually go for the Arugula salad bc it's always good. The sweetbreads were tasty, crisp without being dry, and the scallops were tender and came with a wonderful sauce. We hesitated over creme brulee with bacon and cherries but the flavor was amazing. I'd willingly eat the same dishes again. I've never had a disappointing dish here; the flavors combinations are interesting and the sauces outstanding. Same goes for the service which is attentive and friendly without being invasive. If you haven't been, go for the best food in town. You'll need a reservation.Special Features:
- Consistently great!seniorgourmantsDined on 10/24/2014We've been there six times with six different couples all of whom said it was one of the best dinning experiences they had ever had.Special Features:
- The Admiral succeeds once againCooknotDined on 10/22/2014As yearly visitors to western North Carolina, we always make it a point to make reservations well in advance for The Admiral. This year was no exception and once again each member of our party of four was delighted with their dinner choice. All were different. All were excellent. Can't wait to visit again next year!Special Features:
- Great little hide awayashevilledinersDined on 10/22/2014Very good restaurant tucked away in a little known area. We are regulars and love the food and the presentation. We recommend this spot to everyon, but you better make a reservation. By 7:00 pm it's full.Special Features:
- The UnexpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014Drove right by the place the first time so you have to look hard for it, not what you expect. Small little almost dive place with great gourmet food, small plates or entree, the food is exceptional.Special Features:
- Excellent, inventive foodYummersDined on 10/20/2014The Admiral didn't disappoint. Had high hopes that were met! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but not as good as last visit.BryanVIPDined on 10/20/2014Our for was only OK. 7 of us all tried different dishes and some were excellent and some were mediocre (salmon). If the restaurant could lease some more parking, I would be more tempted to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Adventures in West AVLmmmfoodDined on 10/20/2014Elegant and artful, but down-to-earth and unpretentious. Delicious, creative cuisine with beautiful presentations and knowledgeable, accommodating service. Save up your appetite and bring your adventurous spirit. The small plates are portioned well for sharing between two; making a progressive meal of incremental small plates ensures you get to enjoy everything fresh from the (open) kitchen, and get the right amount of food. Be sure to save room for dessert. Side note: the nondescript exterior of the building totally makes the overall ambiance. Even after multiple visits, I still feel like I've been let in on a wonderful secret when I step foot inside. Love The Admiral, and will come back again and again.Special Features:
- Off the beaten trackspecialeatsDined on 10/19/2014This is my third time at the Admiral. I personally like the retro-dive atmosphere. The space is cozy. The lighting is low. The food is excellent and creatively prepared. The mixed drinks are excellent. Service was great... performed by a crew with different responsibilities. Later at night on the weekends? there is a DJ and the scene turns into a dance party. What's not to like!Special Features:
- What's the buzz about?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by several people. Everyone who recommended it seemed to think it was wonderful, and that we were lucky to get a reservation. Our dinner was very good, but "predictable." Tasty, but nothing exciting. Menu items maybe a little dated? We had much more interesting dining experiences at the other 2 restaurants we tried during our visit to Asheville. Not sure what all of the "buzz" is about for this restaurant.
- Great FindBrotherlyLoveDined on 10/18/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere! Too expensive for our wallet. Able to enjoy because we were given a gift certificate. Cost us twice as much as we would normally spend, but glad we were able to enjoy experience this one time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed a lot since our last visit.noreservationsVIPDined on 10/18/2014Still good, but to us it didn't seem the value or quality it once was. Service was GREAT! We'll try again soon. Hopefully we just hit on an off night. Bummer it was our anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- BillDined on 10/16/2014Nathan was a great waiter. Delaney was also great. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing!TNGALDined on 10/16/2014Had several different plates & I loved everyone. The drinks were perfectly madeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faabulous foodLarryBDined on 10/16/2014This is now on our must visit list. The food is incredible, creative, delicious, almost unique. The atmosphere is very funky but charming and the service is excellent. Our server even knew ingredients for the dishes we asked about. We shared a bunch of small plates among 4 people and were very content. The wine list is small, eclectic, and delightful.Special Features: