400 Haywood Rd
Asheville, NC 28806Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theadmiralnc.com/
- Phone: 8282522541
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner service from 5pm - 9:45pm Monday -Sunday.
Late night Friday and Saturday until 2
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Candido
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner on Friday and Saturday we clear out our dining tables and transform the dining room into a unique dance floor. Voted best place place to dance by Mountain Express.
A word from The Admiral
Relying on timeless décor, gentle service, and inventive cuisine the Admiral serves delicious food without the restraints of convention. The menu changes daily to utilize seasonal flavors, locally produced foods, and new ideas. Reservations are strongly suggested, although bar seating is available on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Admiral - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Admiral reviews from OpenTable diners
325 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (265)neighborhood gem (202)special occasion (168)romantic (94)hot spot (86)notable wine list (44)late-night find (38)vibrant bar scene (34)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Everything was wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014We were recommended to come here for dinner and so happy that we had this experience! The ambiance was awesome - low key and casual. Atmosphere was perfect for us- and the food was delicious! Every last bite! Definitely ask the server for recommendations....everything about The Admiral was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Group BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I took my best friend and her brother here for their birthdays and we split several plates and desserts and had an excellent red wine. The room was abuzz with positive energy, yet quiet enough for us to enjoy our conversations. I will keep returning as long as they are there.Special Features:
- Hard to beat!bacagainDined on 10/25/2014We usually go for the Arugula salad bc it's always good. The sweetbreads were tasty, crisp without being dry, and the scallops were tender and came with a wonderful sauce. We hesitated over creme brulee with bacon and cherries but the flavor was amazing. I'd willingly eat the same dishes again. I've never had a disappointing dish here; the flavors combinations are interesting and the sauces outstanding. Same goes for the service which is attentive and friendly without being invasive. If you haven't been, go for the best food in town. You'll need a reservation.Special Features:
- Consistently great!seniorgourmantsDined on 10/24/2014We've been there six times with six different couples all of whom said it was one of the best dinning experiences they had ever had.Special Features:
- The Admiral succeeds once againCooknotDined on 10/22/2014As yearly visitors to western North Carolina, we always make it a point to make reservations well in advance for The Admiral. This year was no exception and once again each member of our party of four was delighted with their dinner choice. All were different. All were excellent. Can't wait to visit again next year!Special Features:
- Great little hide awayashevilledinersDined on 10/22/2014Very good restaurant tucked away in a little known area. We are regulars and love the food and the presentation. We recommend this spot to everyon, but you better make a reservation. By 7:00 pm it's full.Special Features:
- The UnexpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014Drove right by the place the first time so you have to look hard for it, not what you expect. Small little almost dive place with great gourmet food, small plates or entree, the food is exceptional.Special Features:
- Excellent, inventive foodYummersDined on 10/20/2014The Admiral didn't disappoint. Had high hopes that were met! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but not as good as last visit.BryanVIPDined on 10/20/2014Our for was only OK. 7 of us all tried different dishes and some were excellent and some were mediocre (salmon). If the restaurant could lease some more parking, I would be more tempted to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Adventures in West AVLmmmfoodDined on 10/20/2014Elegant and artful, but down-to-earth and unpretentious. Delicious, creative cuisine with beautiful presentations and knowledgeable, accommodating service. Save up your appetite and bring your adventurous spirit. The small plates are portioned well for sharing between two; making a progressive meal of incremental small plates ensures you get to enjoy everything fresh from the (open) kitchen, and get the right amount of food. Be sure to save room for dessert. Side note: the nondescript exterior of the building totally makes the overall ambiance. Even after multiple visits, I still feel like I've been let in on a wonderful secret when I step foot inside. Love The Admiral, and will come back again and again.Special Features:
- Off the beaten trackspecialeatsDined on 10/19/2014This is my third time at the Admiral. I personally like the retro-dive atmosphere. The space is cozy. The lighting is low. The food is excellent and creatively prepared. The mixed drinks are excellent. Service was great... performed by a crew with different responsibilities. Later at night on the weekends? there is a DJ and the scene turns into a dance party. What's not to like!Special Features:
- What's the buzz about?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by several people. Everyone who recommended it seemed to think it was wonderful, and that we were lucky to get a reservation. Our dinner was very good, but "predictable." Tasty, but nothing exciting. Menu items maybe a little dated? We had much more interesting dining experiences at the other 2 restaurants we tried during our visit to Asheville. Not sure what all of the "buzz" is about for this restaurant.
- Great FindBrotherlyLoveDined on 10/18/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere! Too expensive for our wallet. Able to enjoy because we were given a gift certificate. Cost us twice as much as we would normally spend, but glad we were able to enjoy experience this one time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed a lot since our last visit.noreservationsVIPDined on 10/18/2014Still good, but to us it didn't seem the value or quality it once was. Service was GREAT! We'll try again soon. Hopefully we just hit on an off night. Bummer it was our anniversary dinner.Special Features:
- BillDined on 10/16/2014Nathan was a great waiter. Delaney was also great. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing!TNGALDined on 10/16/2014Had several different plates & I loved everyone. The drinks were perfectly madeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faabulous foodLarryBDined on 10/16/2014This is now on our must visit list. The food is incredible, creative, delicious, almost unique. The atmosphere is very funky but charming and the service is excellent. Our server even knew ingredients for the dishes we asked about. We shared a bunch of small plates among 4 people and were very content. The wine list is small, eclectic, and delightful.Special Features:
- Must Visitbeach206Dined on 10/16/2014The Admiral is well worth lining up a reservation at least three weeks in advance. The food is amazing, the staff is friendly and attentive. The ambience is such that you woukd never know you are in a cinder block building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable night outbackhomeDined on 10/15/2014We are new to the area and were looking for a dining experience for friends from out of town. We read reviews and hoped we could get reservations. We were so glad. The environment is comfortable. The menu is exciting. The service is quality. Our selections were presented with quiet professionalism. The entrees were almost perfect. We will most definitely return and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGramie23Dined on 10/15/2014The Admiral was a consistent restaurant that people talked about in Asheville. The mussels were outstanding-but so was everything else. Please! Do not let the exterior of the building hold you back! Everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Always Good foodFoodforthoughtDined on 10/15/2014There is a good reason The Admiral is such a hard place to get in to. Consistently great food, great service and an interesting menu. The atmosphere is nothing special. More like a neighborhood bar/ restaurant , which it is. Worth the 6 weeks it took our party of 6 to get in!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceChefDaddyDined on 10/14/2014Food was excellent, had the cheese platter, 2 flat irons, bottle of paso Robles cab. Maybe we didn't communicate we wanted to order more but we weren't asked either, we assumed she would come back and ask. Our menus were left at our table. We missed our showtime. The table that came in after us got their order about 20 min before we did. We would have tipped a lot more if service was better. We love it here, we'll be back, favorite restaurant, mildly disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumABK1234Dined on 10/13/2014phenomenal! I can't say enough about how great the food was. highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Picture in contrastsLeesburgDined on 10/10/2014The Admiral is all about the food. Once you find the unassuming cinder block building, survey the yard sale decor, and get past the "is this really it?" you are in for a treat. The empanada and acorn squash soup were excellent. The short ribs and lamb even better. A reminder that great food can come in unexpected packages. Definitely worth a return visit. Love that they pull the tables on Friday and Saturday nights and spin some records too.Special Features:
- always funmontreaterDined on 10/10/2014we book way far ahead and still can get only early reservations BUT we are thrilled with those!! Delicious...Special Features:
- Flavorful experienceMikeRebeccaDined on 10/9/2014What the Admiral lacks in space and ambience it more than makes up in service and the food. This is definitely worthy of a foodie palate and everything on the menu is excellent. P.E.I. Mussels are a favorite. Having trouble selecting a specialty drink or wine? Ask the bartender and they will provide a fine recommendation. My favorite dining spot in Asheville and one not to miss. Make sure you make reservations well in advance .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitTSailorDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I make spontaneous trips to Asheville which made it difficult to get a reservation especially on the weekends.. We finally had a pre-planned trip and this restaurant was worth the wait!! The mussels were really that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood lacklustrfranchiDined on 10/8/2014I went based on this retaurant's reputation --several people recommended it. However, both of us were disappointed in our seafood dishes. The salmon added to essentially a shell fish stew was tasteless. The proclaimed PEI mussels were tiny and the bacon flavor in my mussel dish anyway seemed to interfere with their own bright ocean flavor. The bread served with the mussels was a bit too chunky and not toasty enough to invite traditional dunking in the sauce. However, the small plate of crispy gnocchi were very good with a memorable "local" rabbit sauce. I would certainly recommend that dish.Special Features:
- They know how to cook there!BellyfullDined on 10/8/2014The admiral never disappoints and is consistently delicious and fantastic service especially Nathan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HickoryBillDined on 10/7/2014Great food & service, everything I had heard about this eclectic place was true - highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asheville flagship is sinking.LonnieBDined on 10/7/2014The Admiral is still a good restaurant, but over the past three years I've seen a decline in quality and service. Our experience the other night was real hit and miss. We were able to get reservation with no problem and were seated immediately but had to wait a while for someone to take our drink order. We even joked that we should go across the street and buy a beer while we waited for a waitress. The ciopinno had a wonderful selection of fresh seafood but the broth tasted retched. The gnocchi was outstanding served with a ragu that could have come from a can. The flat iron steak was a winner while the ribeye was less than average and buried under below-average and odd sides and garnishes. The dessert menu was too experimental for us.
- Terrific Meal!JuliebwiseDined on 10/5/2014Made reservations 3 months in advance for a girls weekend. The atmosphere was very pleasant, although a little warm due to the open kitchen. The food was delicous, the cocktails were excellent, the service was a little slow. Would recommend and will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GinnyGinnyDined on 10/4/2014One of the best in Asheville !!! Be sure to make your reservation way early (weeks early !)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forrest1forrest1Dined on 10/4/2014Always great food. Service is good but can be slow if restaurant is crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BewilderedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Not quite sure what all the hype is on this restaurant. We went there for a special occasion because we heard such rave reviews. 80% of the food was good. We had an issue with something being undercooked. When it arrived back at the table - everyone else had finished their food. Had that plate boxed up with no response from the restaurant. I thought this was very unprofessional and definitely not an enticement to return. We eat out at least 4-5 nights a week and there are definitely better restaurants in the Asheville area. Be warned if this is for a special occasion - might not turn out like you hoped. I also want to qualify this review - I have NEVER written a review on anything - until now!
- RobynVIPDined on 10/3/2014One of the best meals I have ever had in AVL. The food was more superb than ever!Special Features:
- JamesDined on 9/30/2014My last two visits to The Admiral have been disappointing. Ordered the scallops my last time and they were fair at best. I hope they improve soon.
- WonderfulMissPickyPantsDined on 9/29/2014Was my birthday, and thought it was way up to the task of being special and fun for that. LOVED everything, great food, funky decor (I have an interior design company in Asheville, designed Carmel's years ago, so more critical than most). Even drove back into Asheville from Hendersonville (had just gotten home from work in Asheville). WELL worth the drive. Will be back. Jean GreesonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food in total diveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/29/2014The service was impeccable. The cucumbersome gin drink was refreshing. The food was AWESOME. For the two of us, total tickets was <$125. Great value for deliciously cooked food.Special Features:
- NancyDined on 9/26/2014Every single dish on the table was tasty and excellent. The food is so good it distracts you from normal conversation. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.