400 Haywood Rd
Asheville, NC 28806Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theadmiralnc.com/
- Phone: 8282522541
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner service from 5pm - 9:45pm Monday -Sunday.
Late night Friday and Saturday until 2
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Candido
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner on Friday and Saturday we clear out our dining tables and transform the dining room into a unique dance floor. Voted best place place to dance by Mountain Express.
A word from The Admiral
Relying on timeless décor, gentle service, and inventive cuisine the Admiral serves delicious food without the restraints of convention. The menu changes daily to utilize seasonal flavors, locally produced foods, and new ideas. Reservations are strongly suggested, although bar seating is available on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Admiral - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Admiral reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (267)neighborhood gem (198)special occasion (172)romantic (84)hot spot (70)notable wine list (43)late-night find (39)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (14)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- RedfoxOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014This place was recommended to us and we were not disappointed. The entrée menu is limited, but we both enjoyed our entrees very much. The Heritage pork chop was excellent and my wife loved the braised short rib. We chose the fried pickle appetizer and it was the best, very different from what you'll usually find. Our server was attentive, yet not annoying, he did a great job. Taking all into consideration, worth the trip from Hendersonville and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Never disappoints, great food, great service and well made drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appearances are deceivingOldguitarDined on 9/12/2014The Admiral is a world class restaurant masquerading as a dive bar. Service is attentive, and the food is uniformly excellent. Our group started with the best fried green tomatoes ever, and followed with beef short ribs, fresh trout, scallops, and a plump, juicy,pork chop. All were outstanding, and quite reasonably priced as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014The food has continued to be outstanding. Our favorite place in Asheville. The service and the energy of the Admiral is really fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Admiral is a gemJimmyMacDined on 9/10/2014Only my second time there and it was outstanding again. A great kitchen, innovative sauces and the server made a great red wine pairing for the entree. We lingered until late and the staff were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxx xxxx xx xx xxx xxxxxx xxxxxxRobertDined on 9/10/2014Dinner and dessert was great. It was the best meal I've had in a while. I wish I had the recipe for the rack of lamb. I would recommend to others.Special Features:
- moftirDined on 9/8/2014I enjoyed it very much. My husband thought it was too pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met expectationsRonbDined on 9/7/2014Very good food except for a little too much salt in the lobster tagliatelli. Server seemed tired and non-inspiring. Still overall a very good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very niceGiancarloDined on 9/6/2014The food & service were great, as was true when we were there a month and a half ago for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dance nightmur67Dined on 9/5/2014great meal, great service, fell completely apart when the DJ walked in, starting removing tables while we were still eating. Totally get the after hours vibe, but then don't take reservations at 9. Asked if we should move to another part to let them clear, waiter said no. When we left , the only table still standing was ours, while people waited for us to get up.Special Features:
- Great food, vibrant clientelebusyguyinGreensboroVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food was great. I really like the ability to order small portions so I can have salad or appetizer and not feel overly full at the end of my meal. The atmosphere is very "active", indicating that the Admiral is a very popular place in Asheville and attracts groups of people over and over again.Special Features:
- Another Great Admiral ExperienceNancyDined on 9/3/2014The food was yummy and the service was great! I can't wait for our next chance to visit The Admiral!Special Features:
- Beyond expectationsLojoDined on 9/2/2014My boyfriend and I were in Asheville for the night celebrating his birthday and someone we met at a wedding suggested The Admiral. The food was beyond expectations as well as the service. All of our dishes were timed perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatRenaDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful food. Pen joyed coming with folks who had not been before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as alwaysfeast4theeastDined on 9/2/2014again and again the admiral delivers. wonderful food, service and overall experience. my go-to place to bring out of town visitors. this week was family from florida. next week is family from hawaii.Special Features:
- Special EventashvillelovebirdsDined on 8/31/2014We came to the Admiral to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and eat some outstanding food. We had high expectations and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014We arrived for our reservation and found parking difficult ( the only real downside ) We waited approximately 10 minutes for reservation ( we did not consider this a issue ) The wait staff was extremely friendly The food was excellent
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Good food, o.k. atmosphere. I think I would have rated it higher if there had not been so much hype about how fabulous it was. It was very tasty but I guess I was expecting spectacular.Special Features:
- great foodgilgeDined on 8/28/2014As usual the food was fantastic. There were five of us and we ordered three entrees and four small plates. Everyone enjoyed their food. I always expect and get some unusual food. The leek mash I had with my steak was great and something I had never heard of. The horse radish aioli was perfect with the steak. The wait staff was very attentive. We had two people taking care of us and they were great.Special Features:
- Always ExcellentgrannysmithDined on 8/27/2014Food is always different and excellent. Staff is very friendly and helpful. A broader local beer 'draft' selection would be welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!POOH92643VIPDined on 8/27/2014The Admiral is always fantastic and incredibly creative with their dishes! Great atmosphere and service!Special Features:
- Gourmet heaven!ElleDined on 8/27/2014We are NEVER disappointed at The Admiral. It's admittedly a funky, understated place, but we find that charming. The food is incredible, reasonably priced for the very high quality, and always amazing. It's our favorite restaurant in Asheville, and that's saying a lot!Special Features:
- Best YetLovegoodfoodDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary at The Admiral and left with huge smiles on our faces and the desire to return at the earliest possible convenience. In short, we have been in Asheville for 10 years and this was without a doubt as good a meal as we've had during that time. Moreover, the service from the time we walked in the door was superb. We were concerned that maybe the experience at the The Admiral might be disappointing since we had heard so many nice things about it, but, if anything, our feeling is that it exceeded any and all expectations ! If you want the best that Asheville has to offer, try The Admiral !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food preparationBillDined on 8/26/2014One of the best restaurants in the southeast. Need to experience to understand..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LizzyDined on 8/26/2014Delicious and cozy time for a celebration for my partner who was leaving the next morning for a 470mile trek on the French part of the Camino! Lovely waitress, yummy scallops and my mate loved his rack of lamb. Utterly satisfying on all levels, many thanks. And what a treat to just be able to walk over from our house and have such an experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Hard to find but worth seeking out. Standouts on the menu: beef tartare, complete with quail egg and the mussels.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/22/2014One of the top restaurants in Asheville. We often stay in downtown when visiting Asheville, and are reluctant to get in the car at night given how many good restaurants are in walking distance. But The Admiral is worth the drive (plus, as of this weekend you can take Uber!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerLuv2runnrideDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated our 27th anniversary and the food, service, and entire experience was outstanding. Portion sizes were large. Presentation was amazing. Great place to enjoy a meal. I highly recommend the Admiral.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous, delicious food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Unique and very comfortable atmosphere. Helpful, knowledgeable wait persons. Exquisite meal. Wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Never Dissappointed.MountainjimVIPDined on 8/20/2014Living in Asheville is a food lovers dream, and The Admiral is right at the top of the list for great food.Living in Asheville, I am always excited when I have out of town guests visiting, so I can bring them to The Admiral. The menus is always changing, but the food is always wonderfully prepared, and presentation and taste is perfect.Special Features:
- another good dinnerGoodEatsDined on 8/19/2014Another wonderful food experience. My son had the pork chop, I had the halibut each was excellent in its own way. I've dined at the Admiral quite a few times and it has never disappointed. Is it pricey, a bit, but so are other places in town where the experience is much more uneven and unpredictable. Here you know you'll always dine well.Special Features:
- Best food ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Great food, great service. I love the dive bar atomosphere. The cheese plate was fantastic. Also, don't miss the Friday and Saturday night late night dance party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally got a reservation!LuvRuthsDined on 8/16/2014After trying numerous times to get a table we finally found out what all the fuss is about. The food is excellent and the service is off the chart. The Admiral has a romantic atmosphere and great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to the Admiral.BoophillDined on 8/15/2014I heard about the Admiral for years and finally made it there for dinner. It lives up to it's excellent reputation. I was very impressed by the service and food. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Would Have Thought1redfishDined on 8/12/2014Dive area, dive building, devine experience. Not the area one would usually want to stop. The building would make a great biker bar. But very enjoyable experience in this eclectic jewel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable limits reservationsrapmanDined on 8/12/2014Online, OpenTable refused to expand number of persons beyond 5 for reservations. The restaurant was unaware of this , while 3 tables and other seating sat empty the entire time of our meal. This did not improve our experience and it was not the the restaurant's fault. "Lose, lose" We lost, the restaurant lost.Special Features:
- Bringing Electric Food to the SouthStephZDined on 8/11/2014This is a must-go for any foodie that finds themselves in the Asheville area. Make reservations, as there is limited seating available and the place is always packed, even on what would seem like off-peak days and times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good little restaurantLisafromOakvilleDined on 8/11/2014We went to the Admiral on a trip to Asheville due to the fact that it was recommended. When we arrived we weren't sure if we were in the right place because there were no cars outside and the place was quite small. However, when we got inside we found the place packed. The food was very good, as was the wine.
- The Admiral is worth the effortIllinoisEatersDined on 8/11/2014Don't be put off by the parking situation (pretty nightmarish) or the appearance of the building (pretty run-down) -- arrive a bit early to find your parking spot (I parked on Michigan, south of the restaurant), and simply go in. You will not be disappointed in your meal. In fact, our meal was fantastic! We had appetizers, salads, entrees, and desserts, and we were heartily impressed all the way around. The service was terrific as well. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I've had worse meals that cost a lot more! We would definitely return!Special Features:
- Delicious food, sad wine listJaniemaeDined on 8/11/2014We loved the neighborhood ambiance. Service was only average. Our food was excellent. The wine list lacked an "oakey' Chardonney. Our wait person was happy for us to try the "house wine" as it was the most buttery, oakey. It was not what we were looking for. We finally decided on the French Rose, the closest to a decent bottle of full bodied white that we could find on the list. We enjoyed it, but an addition of a buttery Chardonnay would be a great addition. Food was amazing.Special Features: