400 Haywood Rd
Asheville, NC 28806Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theadmiralnc.com/
- Phone: 8282522541
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner service from 5pm - 9:45pm Monday -Sunday.
Late night Friday and Saturday until 2
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ivan Candido
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Entertainment: After dinner on Friday and Saturday we clear out our dining tables and transform the dining room into a unique dance floor. Voted best place place to dance by Mountain Express.
A word from The Admiral
Relying on timeless décor, gentle service, and inventive cuisine the Admiral serves delicious food without the restraints of convention. The menu changes daily to utilize seasonal flavors, locally produced foods, and new ideas. Reservations are strongly suggested, although bar seating is available on a first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Admiral - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
The Admiral reviews from OpenTable diners
330 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (268)neighborhood gem (206)special occasion (171)romantic (96)hot spot (80)notable wine list (45)late-night find (40)vibrant bar scene (33)good for groups (15)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere! Too expensive for our wallet. Able to enjoy because we were given a gift certificate. Cost us twice as much as we would normally spend, but glad we were able to enjoy experience this one time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Nathan was a great waiter. Delaney was also great. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Had several different plates & I loved everyone. The drinks were perfectly madeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faabulous foodLarryBDined on 10/16/2014This is now on our must visit list. The food is incredible, creative, delicious, almost unique. The atmosphere is very funky but charming and the service is excellent. Our server even knew ingredients for the dishes we asked about. We shared a bunch of small plates among 4 people and were very content. The wine list is small, eclectic, and delightful.Special Features:
- Must VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/16/2014The Admiral is well worth lining up a reservation at least three weeks in advance. The food is amazing, the staff is friendly and attentive. The ambience is such that you woukd never know you are in a cinder block building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014We are new to the area and were looking for a dining experience for friends from out of town. We read reviews and hoped we could get reservations. We were so glad. The environment is comfortable. The menu is exciting. The service is quality. Our selections were presented with quiet professionalism. The entrees were almost perfect. We will most definitely return and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodGramie23Dined on 10/15/2014The Admiral was a consistent restaurant that people talked about in Asheville. The mussels were outstanding-but so was everything else. Please! Do not let the exterior of the building hold you back! Everything was excellent.Special Features:
- Always Good foodFoodforthoughtDined on 10/15/2014There is a good reason The Admiral is such a hard place to get in to. Consistently great food, great service and an interesting menu. The atmosphere is nothing special. More like a neighborhood bar/ restaurant , which it is. Worth the 6 weeks it took our party of 6 to get in!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow serviceChefDaddyDined on 10/14/2014Food was excellent, had the cheese platter, 2 flat irons, bottle of paso Robles cab. Maybe we didn't communicate we wanted to order more but we weren't asked either, we assumed she would come back and ask. Our menus were left at our table. We missed our showtime. The table that came in after us got their order about 20 min before we did. We would have tipped a lot more if service was better. We love it here, we'll be back, favorite restaurant, mildly disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumABK1234Dined on 10/13/2014phenomenal! I can't say enough about how great the food was. highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Picture in contrastsLeesburgDined on 10/10/2014The Admiral is all about the food. Once you find the unassuming cinder block building, survey the yard sale decor, and get past the "is this really it?" you are in for a treat. The empanada and acorn squash soup were excellent. The short ribs and lamb even better. A reminder that great food can come in unexpected packages. Definitely worth a return visit. Love that they pull the tables on Friday and Saturday nights and spin some records too.Special Features:
- always funmontreaterDined on 10/10/2014we book way far ahead and still can get only early reservations BUT we are thrilled with those!! Delicious...Special Features:
- Flavorful experienceMikeRebeccaDined on 10/9/2014What the Admiral lacks in space and ambience it more than makes up in service and the food. This is definitely worthy of a foodie palate and everything on the menu is excellent. P.E.I. Mussels are a favorite. Having trouble selecting a specialty drink or wine? Ask the bartender and they will provide a fine recommendation. My favorite dining spot in Asheville and one not to miss. Make sure you make reservations well in advance .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the waitTSailorDined on 10/9/2014My husband and I make spontaneous trips to Asheville which made it difficult to get a reservation especially on the weekends.. We finally had a pre-planned trip and this restaurant was worth the wait!! The mussels were really that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- seafood lacklustrfranchiDined on 10/8/2014I went based on this retaurant's reputation --several people recommended it. However, both of us were disappointed in our seafood dishes. The salmon added to essentially a shell fish stew was tasteless. The proclaimed PEI mussels were tiny and the bacon flavor in my mussel dish anyway seemed to interfere with their own bright ocean flavor. The bread served with the mussels was a bit too chunky and not toasty enough to invite traditional dunking in the sauce. However, the small plate of crispy gnocchi were very good with a memorable "local" rabbit sauce. I would certainly recommend that dish.Special Features:
- They know how to cook there!BellyfullDined on 10/8/2014The admiral never disappoints and is consistently delicious and fantastic service especially Nathan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HickoryBillDined on 10/7/2014Great food & service, everything I had heard about this eclectic place was true - highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asheville flagship is sinking.LonnieBDined on 10/7/2014The Admiral is still a good restaurant, but over the past three years I've seen a decline in quality and service. Our experience the other night was real hit and miss. We were able to get reservation with no problem and were seated immediately but had to wait a while for someone to take our drink order. We even joked that we should go across the street and buy a beer while we waited for a waitress. The ciopinno had a wonderful selection of fresh seafood but the broth tasted retched. The gnocchi was outstanding served with a ragu that could have come from a can. The flat iron steak was a winner while the ribeye was less than average and buried under below-average and odd sides and garnishes. The dessert menu was too experimental for us.
- Terrific Meal!JuliebwiseDined on 10/5/2014Made reservations 3 months in advance for a girls weekend. The atmosphere was very pleasant, although a little warm due to the open kitchen. The food was delicous, the cocktails were excellent, the service was a little slow. Would recommend and will go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GinnyGinnyDined on 10/4/2014One of the best in Asheville !!! Be sure to make your reservation way early (weeks early !)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- forrest1forrest1Dined on 10/4/2014Always great food. Service is good but can be slow if restaurant is crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BewilderedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Not quite sure what all the hype is on this restaurant. We went there for a special occasion because we heard such rave reviews. 80% of the food was good. We had an issue with something being undercooked. When it arrived back at the table - everyone else had finished their food. Had that plate boxed up with no response from the restaurant. I thought this was very unprofessional and definitely not an enticement to return. We eat out at least 4-5 nights a week and there are definitely better restaurants in the Asheville area. Be warned if this is for a special occasion - might not turn out like you hoped. I also want to qualify this review - I have NEVER written a review on anything - until now!
- RobynVIPDined on 10/3/2014One of the best meals I have ever had in AVL. The food was more superb than ever!Special Features:
- JamesDined on 9/30/2014My last two visits to The Admiral have been disappointing. Ordered the scallops my last time and they were fair at best. I hope they improve soon.
- WonderfulMissPickyPantsDined on 9/29/2014Was my birthday, and thought it was way up to the task of being special and fun for that. LOVED everything, great food, funky decor (I have an interior design company in Asheville, designed Carmel's years ago, so more critical than most). Even drove back into Asheville from Hendersonville (had just gotten home from work in Asheville). WELL worth the drive. Will be back. Jean GreesonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food in total diveOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/29/2014The service was impeccable. The cucumbersome gin drink was refreshing. The food was AWESOME. For the two of us, total tickets was <$125. Great value for deliciously cooked food.Special Features:
- NancyDined on 9/26/2014Every single dish on the table was tasty and excellent. The food is so good it distracts you from normal conversation. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again -- impressive!PageLewisDined on 9/26/2014This place consistently appears in Asheville's top 3-5 restaurants, and although it lacks drive-up curb appeal, it redeems itself "admirably" with food, service and overall excitement in the experience. The menu is imaginative and everything done to perfection. Pairings of ingredients, sauces and sides are remarkable. Make your reservations at least 3 weeks ahead for a prime time slot. We save The Admiral for special occasions -- anticipating the experience of the food and happy service as a bonus prelude to the celebration. Space makes seating a large group not so easy. Best to go with another couple and keep it an intimate sharing of something very special in the dining world that's Asheville.Special Features:
- a high class "dive"supersweetDined on 9/25/2014the admiral has retained all the charm of it's former life as a neighborhood dive bar (and a cozy one at that), but with a small kitchen (open for all to see) it serves up some truly excellent fair. the oysters & beef tartare were standouts amongst dishes that were all-around excellent. the cocktails (cucumbersome & front porch) were also really, really good.Special Features:
- amazing experiencemojo33VIPDined on 9/25/2014you wouldn't know it from the outside of the building, but this restaurant is certainly one of the best dining experience my wife and I enjoyed over our extended weekend in Asheville. The ceviche and quail eggs for apps were perfectly made. For entrees scallops and lamb were incredible. For dessert we had the chocolate cake. Overall, I look forward to coming here everytime we visit.Special Features:
- Always FantasticFX14VIPDined on 9/24/2014One of the best restaurants. Been here many times and it's always right on. If you are looking for a down to earth relaxed ambiance with incredibly prepared and great tasting food you go here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014One things we enjoy about the Admiral is how every detail of the meal is handled with care. From the genuine smiles and service to the delicious and beautifully presented dishes, dining at The Admiral is always special. Whenever we are asked our favorite restaurant in this town full of excellent dining, The Admiral, a small and not always easy to get a table at, is our top choice. We've eaten there perhaps 8 times or more over the last three years. Never have we been displeased. What a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Superb!BriannaDined on 9/23/2014I have been hearing about The Admiral from a foodie friend for several years. Now we live in Atlanta a good four hours away from The Admiral, but he would always claim the drive was worth it. He called it a "pilgrimage" of sorts. When my boyfriend and I arrived our table was not quite ready yet, but they immediately seated us at the bar for cocktails while we waited. The "cucumbersome" was delicious and refreshing--a must-try for gin enthusiasts. Waitstaff was amazing; they were very honest and knowledgeable about the food. The menu changes daily so I will not make recommendations, but we tried almost everything on the menu, spending ~$200 after tip. It was worth every penny. Be sure to have at least 2 hours to fully enjoy this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let down at my birthday dinner.avlfoodieDined on 9/23/20141. We had to wait 20 mins for our table to be ready for our reservation. Drinks: The dark and stormys were amazing! Appetizers. my date's app did not arrive until 10 mins after I finished my oyster app. The oysters were fresh and clean but were the worst tasting oysters I've ever had. I love oysters and these literally made me cringe after every one. The cheese plate on the other hand was great. The raisin chutney was a new and exciting flavor. The menu said that my scallops came with Risotto yet they arrived on a bed of mashed cauliflower and were overly salty. The pork chop was over cooked and extremely tough. The Mac and cheese it was served on was much better. This was our 2nd visit and it was a let down.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We had heard good things about the Admiral, but we were blown away by just how good it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SVJ66Dined on 9/23/2014A "dive" bar with superb cuisine - what a great combo; and our meals were excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great/ Server DullIworkinakitchentooDined on 9/23/2014If you want great food but boring servers, this is the place for you. Chefs rock it out, but the servers look like they hate their jobs, and act like they were never taught how to smile or be personable with strangers. Hmmm, maybe they spend so much time on texting and twitter, that they forgot how to communicate. When asked about the food, they acted just as bored and disinterested. Would go back to eat the amazing food, if there was a chefs table and they served it...this way I know at least the people serving it to me would act like they love the food, and have a smile on their face as they watched us devour their incredible creations.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING,FUN,DYNAMIC,DELICIOUS.EMILYDined on 9/19/2014THIS WAS AN INCREDIBLE DINING EXPERIENCE AND LIVED UP TO EVERYTHING WE HAVE HEARD. THIS IS WORTH THE TIME IT TAKES DRIVE THERE FROM ALMOST ANYWHERE. THE STAFF WAS QUICK, OUTGOING, AND KNOWLEDGEABLE TO THE NTH DEGREE. THE ADMIRABLE RIVALS THE BEST RESTAURANTS WE HAVE EATEN AT ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY. WE ARE HUGE FANS AND WILL CERTAINLY RETURN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THE ADMIRAL MAKE DINING SUCH AN EXPERIENCE AND SUCH A PLEASURE. CALL EARLY, DAYS EARLY, FOR A RESERVATION OR YOU MAY MISS THE OPPORTUNITY TO ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE. IN THE PAST WE HAVE STAYED IN ASHEVILLE FOR THE CITY EVENTS AND DINING WAS SECONDARY. NOW WE WILL TRAVEL TO ASHEVILLE TO DINE AT THE ADMIRAL AND THE CITY WILL BE SECONDARY. THANKS TO THE MARVELOUS CHEFS AND STAFF. OKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Admiral -- impressed!troutjockDined on 9/17/2014I'll add my review to the long list of accolades for this neighborhood "dive." The thoughtful menu included items to satisfy any foodie: vegetarian, beef and seafood selections. The service was polished, yet friendly. I especially enjoyed the servers immediate realization that my partner and I wished to "graze" from many selections from the appetizer and small plate menu and brought the dishes out accordingly, as we finished and at a very relaxed pace. I found it noteworthy that although Asheville is a 7 hours from the coast, that the seafood was as fresh and impressively prepared. I enjoyed watching the chefs work-- a busy night, but never frenetic, a testament to the thought and care that has gone into this West Asheville jewel.Special Features:
- Unexpectedly Amazingrcm87Dined on 9/17/2014After driving past The Admiral two times, and realizing they don't have a parking lot, well one that holds more then 3 cars and being told this is a fine dining restaurant but the building is nothing to look at, but once you walk in, everything changes. We ordered a couple drinks which were very good, and then ordered 4 small plates, and the two of us could have gotten away with 3 small plates. The beef tartar came on a large cutting board with many extras. Very good, probably the best I have had. Shortbreads were rich and delicious. Flat Iron steak was seasoned and cooked to perfection. Next time in Ashville we will be back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.