The Abbot's Cellar
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Abbot's Cellar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.abbotscellar.com/
- Phone: 4156268700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Thurs 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Dulye
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Abbot's Cellar
The Abbot's Cellar is dedicated to food and beverage pairings, with a focus on craft beer. Pristinely sourced, simply cooked cuisine, paired perfectly with craft beer and wine.Continued
And proudly a Bay Area Top 100 restaurant for 2013 and 2014.
And proudly a Bay Area Top 100 restaurant for 2013 and 2014.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Abbot's Cellar - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
The Abbot's Cellar reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (47)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (34)romantic (27)notable wine list (13)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014It was an amazing experience. The tasting menu is great. There is not a lot of restaurants that showcases beer like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/23/2014Tasty food, great beer parings. Cleverly designed restaurant.Special Features:
- Overpriced and over saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Really cool ambiance with wood paneling and decor. It's a romantic place and good date spot. However, the food was not great (way too salty salmon). They also warned it would be rare but it was not just pink - more like a piece of sushi! The prices were high ($30 entre and $14 wine glasses) for a mediocre experience.Special Features:
- Extraordinary!foodloverDined on 8/18/2014Food, beer and wine was simply an extraordinary experience. No liquor, but the breadth of beer and wine choices makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014This is a place I will definitely come back to. From the moment the hostess meet you through the end of the meal, you felt welcomed. I did the tasting menu paired with beer. The information on the beer and the pairing was knowledgeable and informative. The waiter was very well versed in the beer and the food and was friendly answering my questions. The food and the beer were excellent. The rest of the party ordered from the menu and they also enjoyed their meals. I just don't think you can go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, beautifulrhaazzDined on 8/10/2014Supposed to be about the beer pairings (and the beers are a revelation) but the ambience, service, and especially the food blew our minds. This place is a standalone reason to visit the Mission. It's a joy. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LovegoodfoodandwineDined on 8/9/2014Had a perfect dinner experience! From the hostess greeting to leaving the restaurant. Food was excellent and their beer list is out of this world. If you don't like beer you have a small wine selection as well, BUT it is more fun with beer. We had our server, who was such a professional and friendly guy, to do the beer pairing for our courses and it was spot on. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceAmyLiz1283Dined on 8/9/2014We all know the food and beer here are amazing, but I really want to praise the service. Our waiter was friendly, eager to make beer recommendations, and checked in often (but not too much!). Additionally, the beer sommelier was not only enthusiastic about serving us the beer, but engaged my amateur-brewer husband in conversation. The people at Abbot's Cellar made it the great experience it was.Special Features:
- BeerMarcDined on 8/8/2014Great place to experience beers from all over the world.Special Features:
- Great food and Beer PairingsNNGsaysDined on 8/8/2014We visited with our kids and to celebrate our son's 24th birthday. Dinner/beer choices were great; we shared interesting first courses and all enjoyed our entrees. Would recommend ice cream/dessert elsewhere.(What WAS that biscuit on our bread pudding -- no taste.) I would definitely go back for the beef, duck, apps. The person who called to confirm reservation said there was valet parking. The attendant said to make sure to validate the ticket inside. I had no idea "validate" meant paying $15 (plus tip). Why not tell me that by phone, or at the curb?? When you pay $350 for dinner for 4, make the valet free or cheap -- or at least tell us. We could have easily cabbed it, but they made such a deal about valet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bella2youDined on 8/7/2014Our server was over the top knowledgable about beers! She held her own with the beer snobs in our party. We will be back in the future...Special Features:
- Try the scotch duck eggtoucanDined on 8/2/2014This was one of the best meals I've had in SF. The beer list is extensive, and the waitstaff was very helpful in helping me navigate the list to find a beer I thoroughly enjoyed, even though I hadn't tried it before. But, for us, the food was really the star of the meal. I particularly enjoyed the scotch duck egg, the classic fried sausage and egg concoction fancied up just enough to not feel out of place, without losing its bar-food soul. I'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- disappointingeeeeeee0Dined on 8/1/2014While we have been to Abbot's cellar before, this trip was pretty disappointing. Table wasn't ready even though we put in a reservation, service was slow, and food came out with parts missing (got the halibut/crab) and despite the server saying "oh that's my favorite!" she didn't notice that there was no crab on it. Then she just threw some cold crab on the hot fish and called it a day. Sad to say, I'll probably never be back since my first time a few months ago was so good.
- Great service, great foodTinaDined on 7/30/2014My husband & I both did the seasonal tasting menu, he chose the beer pairing & they graciously did a wine pairing for me. Food & service were great. Nice decor, casual dress. Just the spot when you want upscale food without having to get overly dressed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice beer selection but a bit pricyMdaleDined on 7/24/2014I think the title said it all. There was nice ambiance and presentation, but trying to be a bit more then it was.Special Features:
- Stephan SmithOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Excellent food, you won't be disappointed! if you love beer, you'll be impressed too!Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant, Awesome FoodFoodieChickDined on 7/24/2014We were only in SFO for one night and AC was a recommendation from my brother. we had an incredible dinner and the service was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Great service, really good food - and oh the beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ventured OutCrazydanaDined on 7/19/2014We visit SF 3 - 4x per year. This is the first time we have ventured into the Mission District for dinner. We have been missing out. The entire staff was well informed helpful and energetic. We will return to Abbot's and the Mission District on our next trip to the city.Special Features:
- Abbots cellarKaraDined on 7/19/2014First time and loved it! Great service, fantastic food. We will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar beer listmtf419VIPDined on 7/17/2014The Abbot's Cellar is a must-dine location in the heart of the Valencia Corridor. I like to try a different beer on each visit, as the list (hidden in a side drawer of your table) is extensive and global. Service is friendly, if somewhat slowish during busy times. My dining partner had the razorneck clams and strip loin, both of which he enjoyed. My little gem salad was overdressed, but the vegetarian-friendly cavatelli was close to perfect. Prices are high, which is to be expected for the area, so really not worth complaining over (especially since you can check online before dining).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jfoodieDined on 7/13/2014Great beer list, fantastic service, and the food would have been 5 stars except that both our entrees were undercooked. I ordered pheasant, which was definitely pink in the middle (a bit scary), and my fiance had the pork loin, which was supposed to come "medium-rare" but came raw in some places. We were there for our anniversary, and he didn't want to cause a stir by sending his food back, but the pork made him really uncomfortable and he could not eat all of it. Scotch egg and crab risotto apps were very good, and our waitress was extremely knowledgeable and attentive. Just too bad about the meat, because $150 + tip is a lot of $$ for undercooked food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Beer Lover & Foodie's DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014The Abbot's Cellar was such a wonderful place for dinner. The food was inventive and fresh. The staff was extremely knowledgable about the beer and food pairings. And the restaurant itself was just plain cool. We will return for sure.Special Features:
- Beer havenmshapdrDined on 7/11/2014So many wonderful craft brews, with or without pairings of heavenly foods. Everything scrumptious! Many local, seasonal, sustainable food choices prepared with artistry. Service outstanding with knowledgeable, cool fun waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cool space, great foodyohoyoaHobbitslifeformeVIPDined on 7/9/2014We are more wine people, but wanted to be open to the beer pairing concept. Our waiter recommended pairings and, when I appeared skeptical, brought me a sample. He had chosen a beer I liked that went well with my dinner. In other words, they know what they're talking about at The Abbot's Cellar. Trust them. I had halibut, cooked perfectly and simply, with crab risotto. Divine. My husband had a very tender strip steak with broccoli tempura. Delish. And we loved the lofty, rustic feeling of the place.Special Features:
- Love everything about it!RahRahGoTeamGoDined on 7/7/2014We chose Abbot's Cellar to celebrate our anniversary because of curiosity about "beer pairings". Husband got the sampler/pairing menu and was stuffed and so happy! I chose a la carte dishes paired with a glass of wine. Literally every bite off every plate was ridiculously good! I know I've found a great chef when I rave to friends about vegetables (meat, yes, pasta, of course! But rarely vegetables!) In addition to the fantastic food, our service was just the right amount of attentive and very friendly. And I love the ambiance here: with the old wood and brick and wafting music the likes of Madeleine Peyroux and Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah", I could almost feel the ghosts of abbots happily at work behind the scenes in their holy cellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Come for the beers, not for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014The beer list was extensive, and my sour porter was tasty (not as sour as I imagined it would be). However, I don't think the dinner entrees were worth $30. My halibut was good, but I probably would have paid $20 for it at most. Come for the beer scene and not for dinner.Special Features:
- Outstanding.AUTravellerDined on 6/28/2014My first degustation matched with international craft beers... It was a superb experience and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated Food in warm settingLocalVIPDined on 6/28/2014The Abbot's Cellar was such a nice surprise! Based on the SF Chronicle's review, we took a chance and booked a table. The charm of the setting-exposed brick walls, high ceilings, "modern" materials--all made a good first impression. But the food was the star. What I particularly liked was each main course came with 1-2 sides that were specifically paired with them. The Halibut was outstanding, as was the pheasant (check out the menu online). Also, the Beer offerings were fantastic and done sophisticatedly in a bound leather book listed by type/region vs. a big chalkboard posted on the wall with a lively 1/2 drunk crowd. They are very knowledgeable on Beer pairings with food and also have a decent wine list. We will go back asap!Special Features:
- IncredibleosoberryDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant is amazing. From the delightful hostess, to the amazing very knowledgable waitperson Keri ( I hope I am spelling her name right ) to the incredible beer selection and fantastic food, it was the best dinner experience I have had in along time. I will be coming back soon and have already told many people about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer amazing, food "just" very goodtylrtrmblDined on 6/20/2014The beer pairings with the tasting menu were 100% spot-on. Especially for the desert course, the pairing left everyone awestruck. My tablemates loved the food to pieces. I thought the food was "just" very good, meaning that while there was nothing wrong with it, and it's in the top 20% of food I've had, nothing will really be remembered about it a year from now. You must have to pay more for that in SF. Ambiance was great, but there wasn't a lot of interesting happenings around the place. Really, a place that is priced to convince your friends to step up their food game, and will leave people you come with very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014Our family of 4 enjoyed a fun and delicious night at The Abbot's Cellar. The food was incredible and highlighted what was fresh and in season. The beer pairing dinner was a great way to try different beers otherwise missed. The staff absolutely knew what they were talking about and were generous, unpretentious, attentive and informative. The Abbot's Cellar is a great place and should not be missed, especially if you like, or would like to try many types of beer.Special Features:
- LOVED ITDianeDined on 6/17/2014We had a wonderful time. Great food, loved the beer parings. Our waiter was outstanding. Loved the space. I highly recommend the tasting menu and pairing you'll be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Fun funrosespinkDined on 6/13/2014WE had a great time at Abbott's Cellar. Good food, fun bar scene and good beers! LonnieSpecial Features:
- Delicious!stephDined on 6/13/2014The greens that were in the salmon dish were exquisite. My partner had the beef loin dish, and it was tender and pretty much perfect. It would have been nice if there were more vegetarian options on the menu than just pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Flavor, Open AtmosphereEchoesInSilenceDined on 6/13/2014Originally made reservation for 6, restaurant was able to accommodate us showing up early at 5:30. The menus were small, but as the wait staff explained it was because their menu changes on a daily basis depending on what their local farmers have fresh that day. My wife ordered the beef cheek appetizer with polenta and a fried quail egg and I don't think that either of us have ever tried a more delicious and flavorful form of shredded beef. For myself, I ordered the duck breast with a fresh mushroom risotto and after finishing my plate I just wanted more! To go with my dish I enjoyed Weihenstephaner Korbinian beer. The wait staff was very knowledgeable about beer and wine pairing should you have any questions.Special Features:
- EthanBeerMeDined on 6/12/2014The food was excellent and the service was top-notch. The beer selection is great and if you have a chance, ask Xian to help select a beer with your meal. I have already recommended this place to several friends and I plan to revisit.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new findST247VIPDined on 6/10/2014Not sure why it wasn't busier! The food, beverage selection and staff were all fantastic. Servers very knowledgable about menu and beer parings and gave great menu guidance. Cannot wait to return. Frisee salad and shrimp appetizer were fantastic (and unsuspecting!) Gorgeous restaurant design. To put things simply, SOLD!Special Features:
- Great but for the hostess and ?Mgr?FoodTravelerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Arrived at ~6:32 for a 6:45 reservation, were told by the hostess that we could not be seated yet (1/3 of the tables were set and unoccupied), and that we could patronize the bar. Opened a tab with the friendly and accomodating bartender for our first round. At 6:45 hostess told us to close out our bar tab so she could seat us. We told her that we wanted to leave the bar tab open (was ok with the bartender) and were ready to be seated. Hostess told us that it was policy that cusomers close their bar tabs because they could not be transferred to the table. We told her that we did not want to transfer it to the table. After seating us, and conferring briefly with ?Mgr?, bar tab showed up w/in 90 sec. They must be German... (& I should know)Special Features:
- Excellent food and beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014Came here to celebrate a few birthdays. The staff was knowledgable and friendly. The food was excellent and the beer list comprehensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.