The Abbot's Cellar
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Abbot's Cellar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.abbotscellar.com/
- Phone: 4156268700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Thurs 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Dulye
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Abbot's Cellar
The Abbot's Cellar is dedicated to food and beverage pairings, with a focus on craft beer. Pristinely sourced, simply cooked cuisine, paired perfectly with craft beer and wine.Continued
And proudly a Bay Area Top 100 restaurant for 2013 and 2014.
And proudly a Bay Area Top 100 restaurant for 2013 and 2014.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Abbot's Cellar reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (39)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (27)hot spot (26)romantic (23)notable wine list (10)late-night find (3)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We really enjoyed our experience here. The place is nicely decorated and laid out. Loved the beer & wine list pullout from the table - very creative and handy. The beer selection was great - I tried 3 different IPA drafts, none of which I had ever seen before. I had the sole, which was very nicely cooked to a moist inside with a crispy crust (but not fried!). My wife had duck which she really enjoyed. The chocolate bread pudding was deep and rich, and went perfectly with the desert zin we ordered. Service was good, not great, but no real complaints other than the waitress disappearing a couple of times when we needed water refills, or wanted to order another beer. If we get back to SanFran for a visit, we will return.
- Great space. So-so food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014Lots of 3-star reviews cover the good and bad of this place. Definitely confused about what it wants to be. The gnocchi way too tough. Avoid at all costs.Special Features:
- Loves it!Cupcake1Dined on 10/18/2014Came here on our first night in San Francisco. What a night! We had the tasting menu with beer pairings. The food and the beers were excellent, and the service could not be better! We were surprise that even if the place was packed, we could have a descent conversation without shouting. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, festive environmentLooper521Dined on 10/16/2014We enjoyed our dinner at The Abbot's Cellar. They have a decent beer and wine menu, and well-made dishes. Recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abbot and CostelloMinSF01VIPDined on 10/12/2014Then staff was extremely friendly, food was amazing and decor very impressive. We loved all the glasses displayed on back wall. Disappointment came with the service. Our server said he would pair our food with wine but when our food arrived we had to wait 15 minutes for the wine. Could never find our server and I had to track the server down to pay. We went on a Sunday night which was very quiet so I'm not sure why we had such delays. Maybe going another night would be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beerBibsyDined on 10/11/2014I came here to try the tasting menu with beer pairing and can totally recommend it. It helped in the decision about what to drink too. The menu is quite daunting, but I noticed (sat at the bar) that the staff were great for recommendations based on what you like. Don't be afraid to ask. The food was good to superb and all the beer was great. Cute knowledgeable staff. A great atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent food, including dessert, and service. Incredible beer list with excellent advice on food pairings and descriptions of the beers on the menu. No disappointments with the delicious and beautiful food. An evening's success. Thank you, Abbott's Cellar!Special Features:
- bad steakjustbeinghonestDined on 10/9/2014Got the steak. It was cold and very chewy. It took some effort to cut thru it with my knife. Otherwise it was a decent meal. Not sure if this was one-off or they just don't know that steak should be served warm.
- AbbottWookieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Very good food. I liked the interior design of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalouVIPDined on 10/7/2014Wonderful, interesting menu. Seasonal ingredients and fresh flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BK321Dined on 10/6/2014Great food, amazing beer list. Wine list was adequate and quite nice, but if you come here, go for the beers. All of the food was plated beautifully and was extremely fresh. We'll be back! The diver scallop and squash dish was to die for.Special Features:
- Fantastic eveninggordandshazVIPDined on 10/1/2014As a lover of beer I should love this place.. A huge menu of interesting and unusual beers paired with very interesting food. And it didn't disappoint. The food was beautifully prepared with creative touches, I'd never eaten scollops cooked with chilli peppers before, it really works. Service from Yuri was great, her advice on the beer front was spot on. We are only in San Francisco for a week but are thinking of returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience.VikasVIPDined on 9/21/2014Second time here and it was even better than the first. Great service. Great ambiance. Great food. I did the pre-fix meal paired with bear and my server was very knowledgeable and helpful. Add this to the list of my regular spots in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and unpretentiousLuv2eatgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2014The decor set the stage for relaxed and casual dining. Our halibut and pork loin dishes had fresh ingredients and lots of flavor. Our server was attentive and friendly. Overall it was a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Beer PairingsdavidtherockDined on 9/13/2014I think the gem of this restaurant would be the beer pairings and the tasting menu, which I did not get, though I wish I had. The food was well-prepared though perhaps not outstanding separate from the paired beers. The beer selection was phenomenal and my waiter was extremely well informed and helpful when it came to suggesting pairings to go with my meal choices. If you aren't going for the beer though, go for dessert, the Chocolate Cake was very very well done.
- Small, expensive, WORTH IT servingsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014Everything we tasted here was deelish, and the four of us decided it was all about the salt. Our server confirmed our suspicion, and upon delivering our check, she included a custom salt packet which she had generously stapled for us. The scallop appetizer and gnocchi main were heavenly palate pleasers. They are known for their beer selections, but their wine list was good too. We sat across from an artful bar of illuminated bottles. Loved it.Special Features:
- Excellent dining in theMissionmtf419VIPDined on 9/8/2014I always bring non-locals to The Abbot's Cellar to get a flavor for SF trends in cuisine and culture. The impressively extensive beer menu has something for every taste, and if not, there's always wine or cocktails. The food is consistently well prepared, with my personal favorites being any combination of pasta (risotto, gnocci, etc) with fresh vegetables. The pork chop is a carnivore favorite and the starters should not be missed.Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014if you like good beer and amazing food this is the spot. it's pricey for sure but worth it in my opinionSpecial Features:
- Another Mission destinationkld123VIPDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed our early Sunday supper here recently. Easy to get to from the South Bay instead of hitting all the downtown traffic. Eating early was wise for easy parking but they have a valet after 6. Unique beer pairings and descriptions are their list, the waiter was helpful with selections tho there are a fair number of wine by the glass. The duck was expertly prepared tho medium rare. appetizers were creative and all the desserts were fantastic. the final tab added up quickly including 20% automatic tip for party greater than 6. I prefer Foreign Cinema and Range but a nice alternative for the future and particularly brew lovers.Special Features:
- Nothing memorableNoCommentDined on 8/30/2014The place have great decor, the bar area is wide and inviting. They have a good selection of beers. We each end up getting foreign imported beer by bottle, but none meet our personal preference. Unfortunately, good ambiance was where it ended. Food was ok, salad was overly salty, the heirloom tomatoes was blend, and gnocchi was too chewy. Service was a bit slow, our server didn't came back to take drink & food order until over 15 mins after we were seated. My spouse says none of his dish were great, just ok as well. For close to a hundred dollars a person, I was expecting much better quality & service. Overall it was just ok, although nothing was bad, nothing memorable either.Special Features:
- Good option for beer loversOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed Abbot's Cellar. Had Risotto with crab. Tasty but a bit gummy. Tomato salad was excellent as was the artisan salad. Duck was delicious. Steak was very good but the total plate did not hang together well. Gnocchi was also very good. Do not salt/season your food. Everything already well seasoned.Special Features:
- AmazingVeroniqueDined on 8/27/2014It was an amazing experience. The tasting menu is great. There is not a lot of restaurants that showcases beer like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/23/2014Tasty food, great beer parings. Cleverly designed restaurant.Special Features:
- Overpriced and over saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Really cool ambiance with wood paneling and decor. It's a romantic place and good date spot. However, the food was not great (way too salty salmon). They also warned it would be rare but it was not just pink - more like a piece of sushi! The prices were high ($30 entre and $14 wine glasses) for a mediocre experience.Special Features:
- Extraordinary!foodloverDined on 8/18/2014Food, beer and wine was simply an extraordinary experience. No liquor, but the breadth of beer and wine choices makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/10/2014This is a place I will definitely come back to. From the moment the hostess meet you through the end of the meal, you felt welcomed. I did the tasting menu paired with beer. The information on the beer and the pairing was knowledgeable and informative. The waiter was very well versed in the beer and the food and was friendly answering my questions. The food and the beer were excellent. The rest of the party ordered from the menu and they also enjoyed their meals. I just don't think you can go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique, beautifulrhaazzDined on 8/10/2014Supposed to be about the beer pairings (and the beers are a revelation) but the ambience, service, and especially the food blew our minds. This place is a standalone reason to visit the Mission. It's a joy. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LovegoodfoodandwineVIPDined on 8/9/2014Had a perfect dinner experience! From the hostess greeting to leaving the restaurant. Food was excellent and their beer list is out of this world. If you don't like beer you have a small wine selection as well, BUT it is more fun with beer. We had our server, who was such a professional and friendly guy, to do the beer pairing for our courses and it was spot on. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceAmyLiz1283Dined on 8/9/2014We all know the food and beer here are amazing, but I really want to praise the service. Our waiter was friendly, eager to make beer recommendations, and checked in often (but not too much!). Additionally, the beer sommelier was not only enthusiastic about serving us the beer, but engaged my amateur-brewer husband in conversation. The people at Abbot's Cellar made it the great experience it was.Special Features:
- BeerMarcDined on 8/8/2014Great place to experience beers from all over the world.Special Features:
- Great food and Beer PairingsNNGsaysDined on 8/8/2014We visited with our kids and to celebrate our son's 24th birthday. Dinner/beer choices were great; we shared interesting first courses and all enjoyed our entrees. Would recommend ice cream/dessert elsewhere.(What WAS that biscuit on our bread pudding -- no taste.) I would definitely go back for the beef, duck, apps. The person who called to confirm reservation said there was valet parking. The attendant said to make sure to validate the ticket inside. I had no idea "validate" meant paying $15 (plus tip). Why not tell me that by phone, or at the curb?? When you pay $350 for dinner for 4, make the valet free or cheap -- or at least tell us. We could have easily cabbed it, but they made such a deal about valet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bella2youDined on 8/7/2014Our server was over the top knowledgable about beers! She held her own with the beer snobs in our party. We will be back in the future...Special Features:
- Try the scotch duck eggtoucanDined on 8/2/2014This was one of the best meals I've had in SF. The beer list is extensive, and the waitstaff was very helpful in helping me navigate the list to find a beer I thoroughly enjoyed, even though I hadn't tried it before. But, for us, the food was really the star of the meal. I particularly enjoyed the scotch duck egg, the classic fried sausage and egg concoction fancied up just enough to not feel out of place, without losing its bar-food soul. I'll definitely be coming back.Special Features:
- disappointingeeeeeee0VIPDined on 8/1/2014While we have been to Abbot's cellar before, this trip was pretty disappointing. Table wasn't ready even though we put in a reservation, service was slow, and food came out with parts missing (got the halibut/crab) and despite the server saying "oh that's my favorite!" she didn't notice that there was no crab on it. Then she just threw some cold crab on the hot fish and called it a day. Sad to say, I'll probably never be back since my first time a few months ago was so good.
- Great service, great foodTinaDined on 7/30/2014My husband & I both did the seasonal tasting menu, he chose the beer pairing & they graciously did a wine pairing for me. Food & service were great. Nice decor, casual dress. Just the spot when you want upscale food without having to get overly dressed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice beer selection but a bit pricyMdaleDined on 7/24/2014I think the title said it all. There was nice ambiance and presentation, but trying to be a bit more then it was.Special Features:
- Stephan SmithOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Excellent food, you won't be disappointed! if you love beer, you'll be impressed too!Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant, Awesome FoodFoodieChickDined on 7/24/2014We were only in SFO for one night and AC was a recommendation from my brother. we had an incredible dinner and the service was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014Great service, really good food - and oh the beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ventured OutCrazydanaDined on 7/19/2014We visit SF 3 - 4x per year. This is the first time we have ventured into the Mission District for dinner. We have been missing out. The entire staff was well informed helpful and energetic. We will return to Abbot's and the Mission District on our next trip to the city.Special Features: