The Abbot's Cellar
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Abbot's Cellar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.abbotscellar.com/
- Phone: (415) 626-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Thurs 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Dulye
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Abbot's Cellar
The Abbot's Cellar is dedicated to food and beverage pairings, with a focus on craft beer. Pristinely sourced, simply cooked cuisine, paired perfectly with craft beer and wine.Continued
And proudly a Bay Area Top 100 restaurant for 2013 and 2014.
And proudly a Bay Area Top 100 restaurant for 2013 and 2014.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Abbot's Cellar - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
The Abbot's Cellar reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (37)good for groups (36)hot spot (27)vibrant bar scene (23)romantic (19)notable wine list (10)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Beer List & Food PairingsChumlyDined on 11/22/2014This is one of our favorite spots in the city. One of the best beer lists you'll find and fantastic food to pair. The service is exceptional and the staff very knowledgeable about both beer and food. We always have a great experience here. It's a bit pricey, so not an every day dinner stop for us, but well worth it for the occasional "date night".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/21/2014Food was excellent, but the menu was very limited. Would have appeciated ice in the water. Beer selection was very good and the couple brews we had were good. Prices were high. Tables were tight which made it noisy and not good for intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful dinner for a dateKatiebDined on 11/20/2014Made the reservation for 9pm about a week in advance. For a Thursday night, the restaurant wasn't crowded at all. The waiter we had recommended great starters and meals. He also paired each meal with absolutely delicious craft beer. The food and the ambiance were perfect. Very memorable and very good! I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Romantic but ExpensiveNeeshDined on 11/14/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday. They definitely have a great beer selection and the servers can help you pair a drink for any food you get. The food was delicious. However, we only split one entree and one app and shared one beer and the bill came to over $100 so it's quite expensive but definitely a nice treat. Great ambiance! Friendly Staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but overpricedRumberaDined on 11/13/2014The venue is extremely nice and the waiters were all very nice. However, the food is overpricedSpecial Features:
- Rad time with burgers and beersGoodCompanyDined on 11/12/2014Amazing selection of brews and eats just like its sister restaurant, Monk's Kettle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abbots Cellar - Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2014My colleagues and I visited Abbot's Cellar on 11/12/14 for a business dinner. We had reservations and upon arriving we were immediately seated at a nice table. Our waitress was amazing, she had an excellent knowledge of the menu, and was able to recommend beer to our entire table including several beer snobs. If you're looking for excellent food, a massive selection of high quality brews and superb service, put this place on your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best yet -a fabulous findCreativetastesDined on 11/7/2014We were visiting SF looked at the 100 best and found it by the review. Being true beer lovers the thought that a restaurant did beer pairings was exciting, but then the food was amazing. We started with the boar appetizer, then scallops each melted in your mouth. We had the duck and pork entrees which hit it out of the park. Choices of Beers were amazing.The interior design with just as wonderful and inviting. We have not stopped talking about the evening, the food the beer. THANK YOSpecial Features:
- Too PreciousSippDined on 11/6/2014This place was too precious. I love beer and wine, but beer should not be treated as wine. The beer portions were small (and seemed about 20% smaller than the listing on the beer menu). The beer was served in wine glasses. The reverence shown the beer struck a bad note with my dining companion and me. The concept just did not work for me.
- Really great but too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/3/2014I really enjoyed my meal and experience at Abbotts cellar. Food beverages server and host were all excellent. How ever even with all that I felt that it was a bit overpriced We had two apps, two entrees, two beers and one glass of wine. With a $7.50 employee benefit charge and 20% tip it was $175. Ouch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SashaVIPDined on 10/31/2014extensive beer list, and some good wine choices too!Special Features:
- Great beers, delicious foodrichoDined on 10/30/2014Menu changes often so not much point in recommendations, however the Salt and Pepper Squid was amazing.Special Features:
- Great tasting menuchivus78Dined on 10/29/2014We ordered the tasting menu with beer pairings and it was delicious. It was surprisingly filling too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerFoodieMDDined on 10/28/2014The restaurant was surprisingly not full for the great ambiance and food. Nice beer and wine selection. Tasty desserts too. There is "secret" parking across the street, which we only found out about after driving around in vain for over 20 minutes on a Tuesday night before calling them.Special Features:
- ExcellentFromHoustonVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great concept. Great execution. We had the 5 course tasting menu with the beer pairings. The theme of the beer was beer associated with wine. So the beers were either aged in wine barrels or fermented with grape must, etc. While these types of beers are usually not my thing, these were outstanding and went well with the paired dishes. The pairing were well explained by the staff. I will definitely return my next trip to San Fran.Special Features:
- Great placeSportsFanDined on 10/24/2014We really enjoyed our experience here. The place is nicely decorated and laid out. Loved the beer & wine list pullout from the table - very creative and handy. The beer selection was great - I tried 3 different IPA drafts, none of which I had ever seen before. I had the sole, which was very nicely cooked to a moist inside with a crispy crust (but not fried!). My wife had duck which she really enjoyed. The chocolate bread pudding was deep and rich, and went perfectly with the desert zin we ordered. Service was good, not great, but no real complaints other than the waitress disappearing a couple of times when we needed water refills, or wanted to order another beer. If we get back to SanFran for a visit, we will return.
- Great space. So-so food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/20/2014Lots of 3-star reviews cover the good and bad of this place. Definitely confused about what it wants to be. The gnocchi way too tough. Avoid at all costs.Special Features:
- Loves it!Cupcake1Dined on 10/18/2014Came here on our first night in San Francisco. What a night! We had the tasting menu with beer pairings. The food and the beers were excellent, and the service could not be better! We were surprise that even if the place was packed, we could have a descent conversation without shouting. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, festive environmentLooper521Dined on 10/16/2014We enjoyed our dinner at The Abbot's Cellar. They have a decent beer and wine menu, and well-made dishes. Recommendable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abbot and CostelloMinSF01VIPDined on 10/12/2014Then staff was extremely friendly, food was amazing and decor very impressive. We loved all the glasses displayed on back wall. Disappointment came with the service. Our server said he would pair our food with wine but when our food arrived we had to wait 15 minutes for the wine. Could never find our server and I had to track the server down to pay. We went on a Sunday night which was very quiet so I'm not sure why we had such delays. Maybe going another night would be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beerBibsyDined on 10/11/2014I came here to try the tasting menu with beer pairing and can totally recommend it. It helped in the decision about what to drink too. The menu is quite daunting, but I noticed (sat at the bar) that the staff were great for recommendations based on what you like. Don't be afraid to ask. The food was good to superb and all the beer was great. Cute knowledgeable staff. A great atmosphere. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent food, including dessert, and service. Incredible beer list with excellent advice on food pairings and descriptions of the beers on the menu. No disappointments with the delicious and beautiful food. An evening's success. Thank you, Abbott's Cellar!Special Features:
- ML21Dined on 10/10/2014Love Abbot's Cellar. Great beer selection, good food, good service. Pairing beers with a prix fixe menu - what a awesome idea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad steakjustbeinghonestDined on 10/9/2014Got the steak. It was cold and very chewy. It took some effort to cut thru it with my knife. Otherwise it was a decent meal. Not sure if this was one-off or they just don't know that steak should be served warm.
- AbbottWookieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Very good food. I liked the interior design of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalouVIPDined on 10/7/2014Wonderful, interesting menu. Seasonal ingredients and fresh flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BK321Dined on 10/6/2014Great food, amazing beer list. Wine list was adequate and quite nice, but if you come here, go for the beers. All of the food was plated beautifully and was extremely fresh. We'll be back! The diver scallop and squash dish was to die for.Special Features:
- Fantastic eveninggordandshazVIPDined on 10/1/2014As a lover of beer I should love this place.. A huge menu of interesting and unusual beers paired with very interesting food. And it didn't disappoint. The food was beautifully prepared with creative touches, I'd never eaten scollops cooked with chilli peppers before, it really works. Service from Yuri was great, her advice on the beer front was spot on. We are only in San Francisco for a week but are thinking of returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great experience.VikasVIPDined on 9/21/2014Second time here and it was even better than the first. Great service. Great ambiance. Great food. I did the pre-fix meal paired with bear and my server was very knowledgeable and helpful. Add this to the list of my regular spots in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and unpretentiousLuv2eatgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2014The decor set the stage for relaxed and casual dining. Our halibut and pork loin dishes had fresh ingredients and lots of flavor. Our server was attentive and friendly. Overall it was a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Beer PairingsdavidtherockDined on 9/13/2014I think the gem of this restaurant would be the beer pairings and the tasting menu, which I did not get, though I wish I had. The food was well-prepared though perhaps not outstanding separate from the paired beers. The beer selection was phenomenal and my waiter was extremely well informed and helpful when it came to suggesting pairings to go with my meal choices. If you aren't going for the beer though, go for dessert, the Chocolate Cake was very very well done.
- Small, expensive, WORTH IT servingsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014Everything we tasted here was deelish, and the four of us decided it was all about the salt. Our server confirmed our suspicion, and upon delivering our check, she included a custom salt packet which she had generously stapled for us. The scallop appetizer and gnocchi main were heavenly palate pleasers. They are known for their beer selections, but their wine list was good too. We sat across from an artful bar of illuminated bottles. Loved it.Special Features:
- Excellent dining in theMissionmtf419VIPDined on 9/8/2014I always bring non-locals to The Abbot's Cellar to get a flavor for SF trends in cuisine and culture. The impressively extensive beer menu has something for every taste, and if not, there's always wine or cocktails. The food is consistently well prepared, with my personal favorites being any combination of pasta (risotto, gnocci, etc) with fresh vegetables. The pork chop is a carnivore favorite and the starters should not be missed.Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014if you like good beer and amazing food this is the spot. it's pricey for sure but worth it in my opinionSpecial Features:
- Another Mission destinationkld123VIPDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed our early Sunday supper here recently. Easy to get to from the South Bay instead of hitting all the downtown traffic. Eating early was wise for easy parking but they have a valet after 6. Unique beer pairings and descriptions are their list, the waiter was helpful with selections tho there are a fair number of wine by the glass. The duck was expertly prepared tho medium rare. appetizers were creative and all the desserts were fantastic. the final tab added up quickly including 20% automatic tip for party greater than 6. I prefer Foreign Cinema and Range but a nice alternative for the future and particularly brew lovers.Special Features:
- Nothing memorableNoCommentDined on 8/30/2014The place have great decor, the bar area is wide and inviting. They have a good selection of beers. We each end up getting foreign imported beer by bottle, but none meet our personal preference. Unfortunately, good ambiance was where it ended. Food was ok, salad was overly salty, the heirloom tomatoes was blend, and gnocchi was too chewy. Service was a bit slow, our server didn't came back to take drink & food order until over 15 mins after we were seated. My spouse says none of his dish were great, just ok as well. For close to a hundred dollars a person, I was expecting much better quality & service. Overall it was just ok, although nothing was bad, nothing memorable either.Special Features:
- Good option for beer loversOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed Abbot's Cellar. Had Risotto with crab. Tasty but a bit gummy. Tomato salad was excellent as was the artisan salad. Duck was delicious. Steak was very good but the total plate did not hang together well. Gnocchi was also very good. Do not salt/season your food. Everything already well seasoned.Special Features:
- AmazingVeroniqueDined on 8/27/2014It was an amazing experience. The tasting menu is great. There is not a lot of restaurants that showcases beer like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/23/2014Tasty food, great beer parings. Cleverly designed restaurant.Special Features:
- Overpriced and over saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Really cool ambiance with wood paneling and decor. It's a romantic place and good date spot. However, the food was not great (way too salty salmon). They also warned it would be rare but it was not just pink - more like a piece of sushi! The prices were high ($30 entre and $14 wine glasses) for a mediocre experience.Special Features: