The 9th Note
56 Orange St.
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The 9th Note
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (203) 691-9918
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - Close
Bar open all day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The 9th Note
New Haven's newest venue for great food, live jazz, piano happy hour, inspired cocktails, pool, and a working phone booth!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The 9th Note reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)romantic (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Almost perfect.JohnnyODined on 11/22/2014We had a great time.. Got to our reservation.. Had cocktails and dessert with friends.. The only real problem with the night was the $10 a head cover charge for the Jazz band.. i think that if people are eating and drinking you shouldn't charge them cover.. The place would be packed if it wasn't for this.. The only other people there were friends and family of the band!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time and wonderful music!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014The service and the music was Outstanding! Wonderful drink menu, It was a great night! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz!FaintgirlDined on 11/7/2014There's three things to know before you go to the 9th Note to ensure that you have a good time. The first is that the food is excellent. Well cooked American classics with the occasional Italian flair, beautifully done meats and plenty of accompaniments. The second is that this lovely food takes quite a long time to come out - it's not a venue for being in a rush, but it is an excellent place to slowly while away a whole evening. Finally, there may be jazz, and if you like that kind of thing, that's great, but if you want a quiet evening in the corner, you probably want to check their website first. We had a fantastic long evening there, with great food, many jazz, and a jovial atmosphere.
- Great music!scdgDined on 11/6/2014Visited from out of state, not sure what to expect. Awesome food and a really cool live jazz band. Definately a place to eat and stay a while!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JazzieDined on 10/25/2014The restaurant had nice ambience . The jazz music was fun. The food when it arrived, was well prepared and delicious . The portions were moderate in size. My husband and I had the scallop and pork belly appetizer which was good,although we had to wait 45 minutes for it to arrive. My husband had the seafood on risotto for dinner which was meager at best . It had two scallops and two clams on an entire bowl of risotto !! I had the crispy sea bass which ended up a better choice. It was well prepared and executed. Over all the food itself was good but the service needs improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiance,friendly service,but.BenkDined on 8/9/2014The sampler was good, but the main course (meat) was just warm when served...Special Features:
- Unique jazz club vibe in New HavenSheltonFoodieDined on 8/1/2014We had a very enjoyable evening, arriving at 7:30 with the jazz trio playing Friday evening starting around 8:00. It was very quiet when we first came in (we were worried), with only a few tables near the window occupied, but once the music started, more people started to fill in and the room was much busier. They lost points for me on not having about 25% of the items on the menu for Friday dinner (!), and in only having one waiter on duty, which forced the host to pull double-duty as our waiter. The food was very good, and they have a great cocktail menu which includes bringing back some old-style gems from the 1920's. We would definitely go back - I'm hoping this place does well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wouldn't rush backluv2dineVIPDined on 8/1/2014I visited with a small group and was underwhelmed after reading all the positive reviews. I understand seasonal menus but they were out of half of the menu, it's a small menu, and that's unacceptable. The Ricotta Cheese dip was nice, should have been warm but after awhile you adapt. The short rib crepes were tasty. The lobster mac and cheese was pretty inedible and the pasta very underdone. Drinks were fine, small martini glasses are deceiving. A friend had a fruit fly in her drink two different times which the bartender was apologetic about. The band was warming up during our dinner and it was horrible, loud and distracting. They played to themselves, not the guests. Kinda cool ambiance, weird with the ultra violet lights. We left early.
- Dessert DeliciousTantaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Okay...so the food was good, very good...and we were early birds at 6pm on a Wed. so didn't get to hear music, but the desserts...so good. Only 2 on the list but house made and wonderful.Special Features:
- The following 10 reviews are from the The 9th Note reviews archive.
- 9th Note found it's NicheDanielleandfriendsDined on 7/16/2014I've yet to have a bad experience here. The food is so good it's a shame they don't put more money in advertising. I had the scallops & pork belly app, sea bass entree and blue berry shortcake dessert. All were cooked and seasoned perfectly. I highly recommend this place if you're a foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a tryInspiredDinerDined on 6/14/2014We will definitely return! We were there as a family so we appreciated that the service was very gracious and attentive without being cloying. Having a small menu pays off. Each dish; apps, salads, entrees arrived just as expected. The live music wasn't the best but I think they were just warming up as we were finishing.Special Features:
- BulldogDined on 6/7/2014Great food. This was our 2nd time and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice new New Haven restaurantRobertVIPDined on 5/10/2014We went early on Saturday evening. Very nice casual space with a pool table. I had Cesar salad and crispy sea bass. Both were excellent. Noise level was moderate allowing for conversation. Good quality, moderately priced list of wines by the glass. Good service. We will go back.Special Features:
- A Plus For New Haven Night SceneFoodie5Dined on 4/26/2014The 9th Note had just the right vibe. The jazz quartet and the delicious food made for a winning combination. I would definitely recommend this music and food venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic findmbelle064Dined on 4/26/2014My boyfriend and I were pleasantly surprised by our delicious meal and the great atmosphere at 9th Note. The food was great, yet reasonably priced and the wine list was solid. It was great to be able to enjoy a romantic evening of jazz while we dined and cap it off with a game of pool! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodterbak20Dined on 4/12/2014The food and service was great. Very attentive waitstaff and a strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream make the experience more than worth the modest prices. When the live jazz band started playing, you almost have to scream at the person across from you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promising 9th Square NeighborSpencerDined on 4/5/20149th Note seems to be a fitting new addition to the Ninth Square neighborhood. Dining room/bar is a large open space, with a pool table, and mural by a local artist. Good combination of restaurant and jazz venue, although the live music was too loud. We were having an early dinner so the band started halfway through our meal, and after that we could barely hear each other speak. Food: ricotta/olive tapenade appetizer was nice; apple cider short ribs were very good, exceeded expectations; lamb pappardelle looked great but was lacking flavor (ie salt); same for lobster Mac and cheese -- there was plenty of lobster meat but the mac and cheese had no (cheese) flavor -- and there's no point in making this combination unless you do both well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9th Note NuancesDonaldDined on 3/29/2014We had some pleasant surprises at the 9th Note the other night. We'd made a reservation at this brand new restaurant/jazz club for an evening of drinks, dinner and jazz to celebrate a birthday. We had cocktails around the corner, then went to 9th Note for a very well served, pleasant dinner and listened to some solid jazz, something increasingly difficult to find in Connecticut. The room is pretty and not jammed, the service was perfect, the food quite good and the overall experience was definitely worth repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findpatfitzDined on 3/21/2014Review the list for dinner options in New haven and the 9th Note popped up as a new option. Great place, played some pool before dinner and loved the live music. I know it will get busier as more people discover the place, so go there now. We will definitely b back.Special Features: