The 9th Door - Downtown
1808 Blake Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
The 9th Door - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.the9thdoor.com/index_downtown.html
- Phone: 3032922229x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner is served Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday 4:30pm-11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, and Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm.
Bar remains open until 1:30am Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The 9th Door - Downtown
The 9th Door is the premier Spanish tapas bar and restaurant located in LoDo, the heart of Denver, Colorado.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The 9th Door - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)romantic (42)special occasion (33)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (23)hot spot (21)vibrant bar scene (21)notable wine list (20)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Wonerful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great food, great service. We were seated promptly even though we arrived a few minutes early. The staff were all friendly and courteous. We ordered several items from the menu to share and taste. The Aguacate was delicious. My girlfriend was disappointed about the inability to substitute another type of dressing on the Ensalada de Camarones y Aguacate though. The Salmon special of the evening was also presented with some type of aioli garnish which was not listed in the item description. These are extremely minor observations though, and I am sure that we will return.Special Features:
- FOOODined on 9/26/2014Great food and service. We recommend this restaurant to friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only table thereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We had a 5:00 pm reservation and the place was dead. We arrived for happy hour and there were no other tables busy. One other couple came in around 5:45. There was no ambiance, the food was mediocre and the portions minuscule. We had to send the shrimp and avocado salad back because it had no flavor. The only memorable aspect of our visit was Jason's service. He is a runner/bus boy but should be head waiter in my opinion. His service was impeccable.
- Second time was not the charmKatieVIPDined on 9/24/2014Our first time in your restaurant was amazing. Great food, great service. While this time the food was still fine, the service was sub par We felt we were intruding on his time. Embarrassing for us as we brought friends to whom we had raved about the place.Special Features:
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014One of my favorite restaurants! Need to try the Queso de Cabra con Miel - Sooooo amazing! But love all their tapas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ezum9Dined on 9/17/2014We love this place. Everything was great, as usual.
- AwesomespecialistnDined on 9/13/2014I had a great time with my girlfriend and her dad. The waiter had a pleasant sense of humor, the atmosphere was very relaxing, and food was outstanding. This is definitely a good place to come on a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The 9th Door is a 10RazzDined on 9/9/2014Great place for small plates to share with a menu that offers lots of creative variety. The menu is backed up with attentive and knowledgeable service! If you like tapas you can't go wrong with the 9th Door - Downtown.Special Features:
- OOH SO GOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014The variety of tapas was wonderful, from the shrimp in avocado, the prosiutto wrapped date with warm cheese oozing out to the delightfully versatile Malbec with notes of cherry and chocolate. The crunchy risotto/cheese balls - yay! The beets were perfectly spiced and fortunately 2 of the guests didn't like beets - so more for me. The service was perfect - unobtrusive, there when needed and utterly pleasant and knowledgeable. I just couldn't help from ordering more as the variety was fun and all well prepared. Our first time to the restaurant from a friend's recommendation...... Possibly my new favorite spot.Special Features:
- The Best!KatieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Now I understand why it was rated the best tapas restaurant in Denver. Everything was perfect! We took some friends here from out of town and they were awed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Everything I tried was fabulous!! The fillet with blue cheese, pork skewer with yogurt dipping sauce, calabacitas were some of my favs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodLuv2dineDined on 9/3/2014It was my first time here. My friend has significant food allergies. The kitchen and wait staff were very accommodating. We had six small plates, all excellent. Reasonable priced wine list, not too noisy. I will be back.Special Features:
- joyceDined on 8/29/2014The Denver restaurant week menu was delicious. We really enjoyed ourselves and the wait staff was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great Tapa restaurantKF13Dined on 8/27/2014The food and service were wonderful . Would go back again, fantastic placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked scallops, great ambianceSomebody2004Dined on 8/26/2014I love the 9th door, but it was a disappointing date for Denver Restaurant week. Our first two courses came out quickly and back to back. It took at least half an hour for our waiter to come back to our table and he gave us tequila shots rather than asking us to order another drink. When the scallops finally came out, they were overcooked. The rest of the food, particularly the artichokes were great.Special Features:
- Loved restaurant week menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I went to the 9th Door LoDo for restaurant week and was extremely pleased with the food options, and my selections in particular. They made it easy for a vegetarian/pescatarian to enjoy the food, and the wine pairing deal ($15 for a half glass with each course) was fantastic. Perfect for a ladies night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for Restaurnat weekErinHDined on 8/25/2014We had a great time during our recent visit to the 9th door. We tried all sorts of food and wines that we may not have tried if we just came in during a non restaruant week.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014This was my first visit, my son had been there before. We took advantage of happy hour and tried several plates, and ordered refills on a few of them. Then we tried several hot tapas. The service was great, ambiance very hip...I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014Loved it. Atmosphere was wonderful as well as the food.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodNateVIPDined on 8/18/2014I would highly recommend going to the 9th Door. The Avocado tapas was excellent as we're many of the others we purchased during our visit. The service was great, the atmosphere was relaxed, and everybody in the restaurant was taking their time and enjoying the food and the company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas!Cgianel1VIPDined on 8/16/2014We went to this restaurant on whim and loved it! All of the tapas were delicious and were authentic! Our server was amazing and very attentive and helpful and the cocktails and wine lists had great options to choose from! Excellent ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish...HaptrapDined on 8/12/2014This is the food was awesome -- we didn't know what to order, so we just asked our waiter to bring out some of his favorites and he didn't disappoint. The mushroom croquette was especially delicious. Sangria was also awesome... dangerous drink though, it is like refreshing fruity magic, but with alcohol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely returnMsCAT515Dined on 8/9/2014Great food and atmosphere. I will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night DinnerTuckVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food excellent as always. Always our first stop when hitting LoDo for the evening. Love the sangria too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBenjVIPDined on 8/6/2014Many different small plate options, all of which were delicious. The service was wonderful and the decoration of the restaurant is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best accidental find EVER!AnnieFannieDined on 8/4/2014Still dreaming of the mojito We could not have been happier. Our server started right off with a pleasant smile a good joke and suggestions. We came at the end of happy hour so had some time to try out a few things before ordering of the regular menu. The flash fried avails and the artichokes. ..oh my gawd. The mussels were a big portion for 4 bucks. The pallet a was amazing. Good flavor. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite in LoDo...ronpdenverDined on 7/26/2014We have been going to the 9th Door for a number of years, and it is our favorite Tapas place on the planet. Really great food, and our server was excellent and very knowledgeable. Jessica, if I recall correctly. Top shelf! Very together with regards to both wine ad food pairings... The bartenders know their stuff, and we have found some really nice wines (Argentinian Malbecs and Spanish wines) and Sherry's (of all things). The 9th Door is always tops on our list of recommended dining in Denver. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judiDined on 7/26/2014this isn't our first visit. It is always a great choice for folks who like to try new things and share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Euro Feel in Downtown DenverkathyDined on 7/19/2014Great for a date night or girl's night out. They are very good about spacing out your plates and the food is spectacular. Great drinks and a good wine list. Loud, so if you are trying to get to know someone don't go here. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2014Perfect atmosphere for a celebration or girls night out. All of the tapas were amazing as well as the sangria! cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014I love this place, great for a date, or any occasion. A lot of character, ambience, and, of course, great food and wine. Definitely a hot spot, not your usual Denver attraction, at least in LoDo. MarkSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationRachelDined on 7/17/2014The attention was very good and kind. We order several tapas to share among the four of us. They all were delicious. We were familiar with the concept of "Tapas" so we knew what to expect. The sangria and vino verde were refreshing. The ambiance was just perfect: some music and not too loud so you could hear each other talk. We went early during happy hour so the bill was not outstanding. I highly recommend The 9th Door. The dessert for the Birthday guest was on the house!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & DeliciousBobDVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great dinner out. Tried lots of different foods and drinks. Service was attentiveSpecial Features:
- Still a favoritesbeatsDined on 7/12/2014The small plates are great to share. They usually have one or two specials to mix it up. We always order the same wine - best on Monday nights when it is half price! Music was a bit loud this last time. Love the cold scallops, lollipop lamb chops, hot and spicy shrimp.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesTeriDined on 7/12/2014We love the 9th Door. We have come several times since discovering it a little over a year ago. It is the best for small plates. The service is always very good and it has remarkable acoustics. We can hear the music well and still have a conversation without yelling. One thing - I know they are new to Open Table, but they refused our Open Table dining check.Special Features:
- A one time experiencetaralonDined on 7/8/2014The food was very good, there is no denying that, but unfortunately the experience that they are trying to sell shoots itself in the foot. Small plate dining is a great trend, but 9th Door's prices are just too high to make this anything more than a one shot experience. At $8-14 a plate, which barely gets 3 people a taste of the order the experience quickly sours as you realize you just spent $50 on food that wouldn't even fill an appetizer plate at some other fine dining establishments. Additionally their drink menu is basically non-existent if you are looking for an alcohol free choice, unless your one to order a soft drink everywhere.Special Features:
- Great for first dateBobhVIPDined on 7/6/2014Perfect for a first date. Nice wine, great staff. Low noise. We were there on Sunday so it was a little slow. Definitely will be coming back.Special Features:
- Nice Tapas BarTheMAFSDined on 6/28/2014Great place for authentic Spanish dishes, many with a twist or two on tradition, all were delicious, not a good place for beer drinkers, only 1 draft selection. I thought the fried manchego was great and I had never had it prepared that way before, and the croqueta was amazing. We were seated at a high top that almost felt like the bar although there were many tables/booths open, there was barely enough room on the table for a couple of plates. The atmosphere was very modern an nice, our waitress was a pro. I would return.Special Features:
- too noisymvdvDined on 6/21/2014The food was excellent and the tapas menu was fun and extensive. The dinner was not enjoyable, though, because the noise level was so high.Special Features:
- Not What I ExpectedhappilydiningVIPDined on 6/19/2014I read the reviews and visited the website and had high expectations; the food looked fantastic. First, the house "chardonnay" was bubbly and sweet, more like a cheap champagne; I did not finish the glass. The happy hour food was inexpensive with good cause-it looked and tasted inexpensive. Next, the tapas. The Callo de Hongos were good, but appeared to have been sliced through the center to make four thin scallops. Most disappointing was the Gambas al Ajillo. The website pictured an inviting presentation, but it was nothing like how it was served which was in a small soup crock with four shrimp swimming in sauce; unattractive and truly disappointing. Where did they get the pictures of food on the website I wonder? What happened 9th Door?