The 9th Door - Downtown
1808 Blake Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
The 9th Door - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.the9thdoor.com/index_downtown.html
- Phone: 3032922229x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner is served Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday 4:30pm-11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, and Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm.
Bar remains open until 1:30am Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from The 9th Door - Downtown
The 9th Door is the premier Spanish tapas bar and restaurant located in LoDo, the heart of Denver, Colorado.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The 9th Door - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)romantic (44)special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (19)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (18)notable wine list (17)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Tapa restaurantKF13Dined on 8/27/2014The food and service were wonderful . Would go back again, fantastic placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked scallops, great ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I love the 9th door, but it was a disappointing date for Denver Restaurant week. Our first two courses came out quickly and back to back. It took at least half an hour for our waiter to come back to our table and he gave us tequila shots rather than asking us to order another drink. When the scallops finally came out, they were overcooked. The rest of the food, particularly the artichokes were great.Special Features:
- Loved restaurant week menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014I went to the 9th Door LoDo for restaurant week and was extremely pleased with the food options, and my selections in particular. They made it easy for a vegetarian/pescatarian to enjoy the food, and the wine pairing deal ($15 for a half glass with each course) was fantastic. Perfect for a ladies night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for Restaurnat weekErinHDined on 8/25/2014We had a great time during our recent visit to the 9th door. We tried all sorts of food and wines that we may not have tried if we just came in during a non restaruant week.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014This was my first visit, my son had been there before. We took advantage of happy hour and tried several plates, and ordered refills on a few of them. Then we tried several hot tapas. The service was great, ambiance very hip...I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/21/2014Loved it. Atmosphere was wonderful as well as the food.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodNateVIPDined on 8/18/2014I would highly recommend going to the 9th Door. The Avocado tapas was excellent as we're many of the others we purchased during our visit. The service was great, the atmosphere was relaxed, and everybody in the restaurant was taking their time and enjoying the food and the company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas!Cgianel1VIPDined on 8/16/2014We went to this restaurant on whim and loved it! All of the tapas were delicious and were authentic! Our server was amazing and very attentive and helpful and the cocktails and wine lists had great options to choose from! Excellent ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish...HaptrapDined on 8/12/2014This is the food was awesome -- we didn't know what to order, so we just asked our waiter to bring out some of his favorites and he didn't disappoint. The mushroom croquette was especially delicious. Sangria was also awesome... dangerous drink though, it is like refreshing fruity magic, but with alcohol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely returnMsCAT515Dined on 8/9/2014Great food and atmosphere. I will definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night DinnerTuckVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food excellent as always. Always our first stop when hitting LoDo for the evening. Love the sangria too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBenjVIPDined on 8/6/2014Many different small plate options, all of which were delicious. The service was wonderful and the decoration of the restaurant is beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best accidental find EVER!AnnieFannieDined on 8/4/2014Still dreaming of the mojito We could not have been happier. Our server started right off with a pleasant smile a good joke and suggestions. We came at the end of happy hour so had some time to try out a few things before ordering of the regular menu. The flash fried avails and the artichokes. ..oh my gawd. The mussels were a big portion for 4 bucks. The pallet a was amazing. Good flavor. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite in LoDo...ronpdenverDined on 7/26/2014We have been going to the 9th Door for a number of years, and it is our favorite Tapas place on the planet. Really great food, and our server was excellent and very knowledgeable. Jessica, if I recall correctly. Top shelf! Very together with regards to both wine ad food pairings... The bartenders know their stuff, and we have found some really nice wines (Argentinian Malbecs and Spanish wines) and Sherry's (of all things). The 9th Door is always tops on our list of recommended dining in Denver. Can't wait to visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- judiDined on 7/26/2014this isn't our first visit. It is always a great choice for folks who like to try new things and share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Euro Feel in Downtown DenverkathyDined on 7/19/2014Great for a date night or girl's night out. They are very good about spacing out your plates and the food is spectacular. Great drinks and a good wine list. Loud, so if you are trying to get to know someone don't go here. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2014Perfect atmosphere for a celebration or girls night out. All of the tapas were amazing as well as the sangria! cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014I love this place, great for a date, or any occasion. A lot of character, ambience, and, of course, great food and wine. Definitely a hot spot, not your usual Denver attraction, at least in LoDo. MarkSpecial Features:
- Birthday CelebrationRachelDined on 7/17/2014The attention was very good and kind. We order several tapas to share among the four of us. They all were delicious. We were familiar with the concept of "Tapas" so we knew what to expect. The sangria and vino verde were refreshing. The ambiance was just perfect: some music and not too loud so you could hear each other talk. We went early during happy hour so the bill was not outstanding. I highly recommend The 9th Door. The dessert for the Birthday guest was on the house!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & DeliciousBobDVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great dinner out. Tried lots of different foods and drinks. Service was attentiveSpecial Features:
- Still a favoritesbeatsDined on 7/12/2014The small plates are great to share. They usually have one or two specials to mix it up. We always order the same wine - best on Monday nights when it is half price! Music was a bit loud this last time. Love the cold scallops, lollipop lamb chops, hot and spicy shrimp.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesTeriDined on 7/12/2014We love the 9th Door. We have come several times since discovering it a little over a year ago. It is the best for small plates. The service is always very good and it has remarkable acoustics. We can hear the music well and still have a conversation without yelling. One thing - I know they are new to Open Table, but they refused our Open Table dining check.Special Features:
- A one time experiencetaralonDined on 7/8/2014The food was very good, there is no denying that, but unfortunately the experience that they are trying to sell shoots itself in the foot. Small plate dining is a great trend, but 9th Door's prices are just too high to make this anything more than a one shot experience. At $8-14 a plate, which barely gets 3 people a taste of the order the experience quickly sours as you realize you just spent $50 on food that wouldn't even fill an appetizer plate at some other fine dining establishments. Additionally their drink menu is basically non-existent if you are looking for an alcohol free choice, unless your one to order a soft drink everywhere.Special Features:
- Great for first dateBobhVIPDined on 7/6/2014Perfect for a first date. Nice wine, great staff. Low noise. We were there on Sunday so it was a little slow. Definitely will be coming back.Special Features:
- Nice Tapas BarTheMAFSDined on 6/28/2014Great place for authentic Spanish dishes, many with a twist or two on tradition, all were delicious, not a good place for beer drinkers, only 1 draft selection. I thought the fried manchego was great and I had never had it prepared that way before, and the croqueta was amazing. We were seated at a high top that almost felt like the bar although there were many tables/booths open, there was barely enough room on the table for a couple of plates. The atmosphere was very modern an nice, our waitress was a pro. I would return.Special Features:
- too noisymvdvDined on 6/21/2014The food was excellent and the tapas menu was fun and extensive. The dinner was not enjoyable, though, because the noise level was so high.Special Features:
- Not What I ExpectedhappilydiningVIPDined on 6/19/2014I read the reviews and visited the website and had high expectations; the food looked fantastic. First, the house "chardonnay" was bubbly and sweet, more like a cheap champagne; I did not finish the glass. The happy hour food was inexpensive with good cause-it looked and tasted inexpensive. Next, the tapas. The Callo de Hongos were good, but appeared to have been sliced through the center to make four thin scallops. Most disappointing was the Gambas al Ajillo. The website pictured an inviting presentation, but it was nothing like how it was served which was in a small soup crock with four shrimp swimming in sauce; unattractive and truly disappointing. Where did they get the pictures of food on the website I wonder? What happened 9th Door?
- Tapas centralTrytheoddDined on 6/13/2014We have a tapas restaurant right near our home, but it does not compare to 9th door for quality of food or service. Never disappointed with the variety and uniqueness. Loved the bonus of $20 each toward our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasfoodieVIPDined on 6/7/2014Fun vibrant tapas restaurant. Good food great service by IanSpecial Features:
- AmazingDiningInDenverDined on 6/6/2014I went to the 9th Door with 4 friends who had never had tapas before. They are all now huge tapas fans! The food was delicious, service was great, and it was a cool restaurant. The music was a little on the loud side but it didn't bother us. They have an amazing creme brûlée that was the best we have EVER had, do yourself a favor and order one! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally... my tapas place!Time2EatDined on 5/30/2014For those of you who have lived in Kansas City, the staple Tapas place is La Bodega. Moving around since then I've always been on the hunt for something similar. I gave up before moving to Denver. On a whim I decided to look for a Tapas place and came across several that didn't appeal to me, then I saw The 9th Door. Fantastic!! Did not dislike anything we ordered (doubled up on some things). Drinks were great, our server was excellent. We did not have one bad thing to say about the entire dinner. Here are the items we had and all were very good.... Dolces Picantés, Aguacate, Pera Rollos, Queso de Cabra con Miel, Pinchos de Fileta, Pollo Oloroso, Filete con Cabrales & Flan de LimónSpecial Features:
- 9th DoorOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/23/2014It was pouring rain outside, and the hostess gave a friend some towels to dry off - that's what I call service! The food is good, and happy hour is a great way to try new things!Special Features:
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2014Went here with a group of friends and had a great time! The food, sangria, and service were excellent. The waiter was attentive but didn't hover and the kitchen had food out in a reasonable amount of time. My favorite thing that we ordered was the hot sea scallop dish - if you're a seafood fan, you definitely need to try it! I don't live in Denver, but the next time I'm there this restaurant will definitely be on my list of places to eat!Special Features:
- Fabulous TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/18/2014Wonderful menu with multiple choices for every palate. Great ambience and fabulous service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014Our server was clearly intoxicated and messed up our order multiple times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnDined on 5/17/2014We were 30 min late because of Safurday night and Rockies traffic but the staff held our table and were very understandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love tapassusanatthecastleVIPDined on 5/17/2014What a find! Dining with 3 or 4 is the best bet here because you need people with whom to share the plates so that you can taste a variety. The deep fried avocado was heavenly. The cheese filled peppers had just the right tang. The rice cakes were delish. The serreno wrapped dates were a real treat. Dessert was a little disappointing but I'll be back to try more tapas and another dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas before Rockies gamePellegrinoDined on 5/16/2014Ambiance is great. Staff was friendly and helpful. Everything we tried was delish, especially the ham wrapped dates. Best of any restaurant we've tried. Portion size is small, small. But it's a tapas restaurant so there you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas LoverbzeuandbipDined on 5/9/2014First of all, this place feels like a tapas bar in Costa del Sol on the southern coast of Spain. The crowd is lively (if it's too loud you're too old), and the food is deftly prepared.We were a party of 4 so we had 8 tapas and three desserts. The tapas were excellent. None of which disappointed us our particular favourite was the seared tuna with a tomato and balsamic reduction. I would strongly recommend a visit to this tapas bar. I also enjoyed the traditional shrimp and garlic tapa (phenomenal) - the shrimp was NOT overlooked, and the heat level was just right. The food is high quality, expertly prepared, beautifully presented, and delicious!Special Features:
- The following 3 reviews are from the The 9th Door - Downtown reviews archive.
- A treat for my MomOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/2/2014My mother is Spanish and lives in rural Illinois, so we thought this would be a sweet treat for her as an early Mother's day Dinner. She loved it! The spices used in the food reminded her of home! We went at happy hour for dinner and took advantage of the specials, plus ordered more off the menu. We also had my 8 yr old son with us, and he found the quesos mixtos and the charcuteria platter his favorite. Now this is not exactly a kid friendly place, but my child is adventurous when it comes to eating. Service was spot on! Our server was constantly checking on us without feeling like she was intruding. Empty plates were removed quickly to make room for new ones. Our only complaint was the loud jazz fusion music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.