8028 Minnetonka Blvd
Saint Louis Park, MN 55426Neighborhood:
St. Louis Park
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thanhdorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9529355005
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Thom Pham
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Thanh Do is happy to assist with private events, off site catering, and large groups!
- Private Party Facilities: Thanh Do may be rented out for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Thom Pham 9529355005
A word from Thanh Do
Welcome to Thanh Do Restaurant! The new generation of Asian Cuisine. Celebrating over a decade in St. Louis Park, Thanh Do Restaurant serves Pan-Asian cuisine, featuring flavors from China, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, and more. Chef and Owner Thom Pham has composed a menu that features traditional Asian cuisine as well as items that fuse traditional Asian ingredients with key Minnesota components - creating a flavor profile uniquely its own. The menu features an array of Soups, Curries, Noodle and Wok Dishes - and includes classics such as Fried Rice, Basil Supreme, and Sesame Chicken, as well as Nouveau dishes like Seabass with chive blossom and squash with a pineapple, mango, ginger relish. Considered by many to be a gem of both the neighborhood and city - our guests can often be found traveling from out of the area to feed their craving for our famous Egg Rolls or Cranberry Wontons. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thanh Do reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Seating is CrampedcraveDined on 10/17/2014I felt very cramped sitting at the table on the wall. I think it's uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of the tables. If this restaurant would re model their tables, I would enjoy going in to dine more, but will probably just order To Go from now on.Special Features:
- 5/5 starsSuccessPathConsultingDined on 9/16/2014We are big fans of Asian food, particularly Thai and Vietnamese, and have dined everywhere from San Fran CA to Duluth MN to London UK - and places in between. Thanh Do was an outstanding find. We enjoyed everything from our tasty appetizers (fresh spring rolls and tender calamari) to the spanker (coconut curry soup) and spicy lemon grass mock duck. The mock duck was among the best I have had, right up there with Boston and NY. The service was friendly and efficient. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!VeggieloverDined on 9/15/2014Our dinner at Thanh Do was very good. The food was delicious--two vegetarian meals and one chicken-based dish. The atmosphere is ok; the division between the bar and restaurant is severe and makes both not very inviting. Also, the menu is difficult to read and make sense of. Our waiter was ok, but he was not very helpful in narrowing our choices.Special Features:
- Good Food Service lacking this timeThaiityouwilllikeitDined on 8/28/2014I have been to your restaurant 4 times in the last year. The food is consistently good, but service this time was lacking this time for lunch. Something has definitely changed. Our waiter was very kind, but he was forced to be apologetic due to logistic issues at the restaurant. Ordering system was down and restaurant was not prepared for down time procedures (taking orders on paper). Subsequently, food coming out of the kicthen was very slow and it was apprarent our order got lost in the confusion as tables of similar size that arrived after our table of 6 received their food ahead of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014Love the food. Excellent service. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ValueJaiFaimDined on 8/8/2014I picked the restaurant simply by chance and it turned out to be a fortunate choice. The service was excellent and our food arrived in less than 15 minutes after we ordered. The portions were generous and the quality was excellent. There were five of us and there was something on the menu for everyone (we all had different dishes.) The food prices were very reasonable. The place was busy but we were able to have normal conversation. I would go there again and recommend it highly to anyone who likes Asian food.Special Features:
- Delicious and AdventurousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014I love Thanh Do, not only does it have great Thai food, but they are adventurous and challenge expectations. On my most recent trip to Thanh Doh I tried the "Spanker" soup. It was DELICIOUS! It was spicy, yet layered and just overall amazing. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Still greatDanTDined on 7/1/2014Pan Asian goodness. Great curries and helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 55 reviews are from the Thanh Do reviews archive.
- Great Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014We stumbled upon this place last Father's Day and really enjoyed it, and we came back for this Father's Day - ate outside and had the same server. Cranberry cream cheese puffs were unique and flavorful, Walleye with a light jalapeno basil sauce was fantastic, and the cranberry curry is a signature dish. Service from Mark was the right balance of attentive without being obtrusive. Well done!Special Features:
- Tom Pham is still wondrous!Fence007Dined on 6/9/2014We really enjoyed the food at Tom Pham's original restaurant. Love the cranberry puffs (have been consistently good since they opened a decade or so ago) and the food was spiced perfectly for our non-Minnesotan palates.Special Features:
- A Very Nice EveningSuperiorShoresDined on 6/5/2014As a first-time patron, we felt we knew what to expect for the evening from prior Open Table reviews and yes, essentially what most of the reviews have report is accurate. The food is good; perhaps not as spicy as indicated on the menu but still very good. The server knew her favorites and did have recommendations. The host on duty was excellent and really made is feel like we had walked into our favorite restaurant where everybody knew our names. There was a little too much noise for our liking and the restaurant was dark with a décor that was just.....well dark. The outdoor seating appeared comfortable but road noise made it less than appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunch combosThaiityouwilllikeitDined on 6/4/2014Lunch combos include appetizer (recommend the spring rolls), soup (recommend either the egg drop or hot and sour soup), and an entree with rice (some up charge for brown or fried rice). Host and waiter were friendly. Nice decor. A nice restaurant gem in a strip mall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddieREddieDined on 5/28/2014Great food as always. Fresh flavorful great service who could ask for anything more!?!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!GeargirlyDined on 5/12/2014The food, wait staff and cocktails are fantastic. I love meeting my friends here for lunch or dinner!Special Features:
- Tastebud DelightFondofFabulousFoodDined on 5/9/2014This place is a real winner. We will be back for sure. Both my wife and I had curry dishes that had just the right amount of hot which for us was their lowest option at "medium" or 1 star. She got Cranberry Curry with chicken, vegetables, and fried rice while I got Chinese Curry with pork and fried rice. Had pork egg rolls which were great. I also tried lobster bisque on their daily special which I enjoyed. Two thumbs up!Special Features:
- Service 5 Food 2DateNightisForLoversDined on 4/30/2014My wife and I chose Thanh Do to celebrate Date Night. Our server was very professional and engaging but the food just fell flat. We ordered shrimp pad thai and honestly I think I found approximately six shrimps (small ones) in the entire dish. The food was just so so and there are lots of thai restaurants in Minneapolis so I most likely won't be going back to Thanh Do. They are for sure hiring the right folks in the front of the house now they just need to motivate and inspire the back of the house.
- Local favoritebirthdayfunDined on 4/25/2014We love this restaurant- reliably great food & tremendous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, poor serviceKimjsvDined on 4/5/2014We had reservations for 6:30 and were seated right away. We ordered drinks and I never received mine. After reminding our waitress, I soon got my club soda. We didn't see our waitress again until after our food came. My food was prepared wrong and she quickly took it back to be fixed. Again, we never saw the waitress. The table next to us didn't receive their food after waiting for about 45 minutes. The food was medioker. The service was slow and at times nonexistent. The water boys were always around to refill the water glasses, but a lot of times the servers were nowhere to be found. Maybe some of the water boys could have been servers...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually Very Good vibe, not tonightRegularThanhDoDined on 3/31/2014usually make it a 3-4 times a month place to eat. When I made reservations for a special birthday night for our oldest son's 21st, thought it would be as good as always. Wrong, the waitress had an arrogance about her that I'm sure she would profess as urban cool, the vegie lo mein had a fishy taste which it does no normally have. We are the type of people who are kind to waiters/waitresses and tip 20% as a rule so not sure why no love connection. Maybe she thought we were going to be drinking a whole lot more? Who knows, but both my wife and I left feeling like the waitress might have done something to our food based on her demeanor alone and we were underwhelmed enough to not return and for me to actually take time to write this review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemoryLucyDined on 3/28/2014We had a party of 9. Our server did not write down our orders. The server ended up forgetting someones order and i ordered soup which never arrived or acknowledged that it was missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2014I went to Thanh Do with 3 friends for dinner on a Sunday evening. None of us had ever been there before. The prices were reasonable, the serving generous. Huge menu, and unlike some places, all the dishes we tried had distinctly different flavors. Between the 4 of us, we ordered a few appetizers and 5 or 6 main dishes. There was plenty to take home. Everybody enjoyed the food. The waiter was pleasant and reasonably timely. No absurdly long waits. We had a very pleasant evening. It was a little loud in there for me, but some people like it that way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodPatrickAMinneapolisVIPDined on 3/23/2014Wonderful place to go if you are looking for delicious ethnic food.Special Features:
- Ok food, good serviceSaraDined on 3/21/2014This was my 3rd time at Thanh Do. I really want to like there food but it's way too spicy for me. Each time I have ordered my meal "mild" and it comes back hot. This last visit after nearly choking on the food due to the spice level I brought it to the attention of the waiter. He took it back and they recooked it for me. It was better second time around but it still had that spice level where I couldn't fully enjoy it. Don't think I'll be in any hurry to return. The spring rolls are pretty good!Special Features:
- Loved itYepperDined on 3/11/2014Great food, great service. Nice restaurant and happy that I found out about it. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was disappointed unlikeLindsayDined on 3/8/2014I was disappointed unlike other visits. Dirty booth, dirty menu. Waiter was flustered with how busy it got later. Took a long time to redeem our Groupon. The food is good but maybe go when it isn't so crazy (this was a Saturday night).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor formMNFoodieVIPDined on 3/7/2014We had attentive service until we ordered, at which point our waiter completely disappeared. We watched as the people around us, who were seated long after us, received their food. Finally, after 30 minutes, my fiancé received his meal and I was told mine was on its way. I waited and waited and waited. We finally grabbed a busboy and told them to get our waiter. He came over 10 minutes later with my food (a bowl of soup!!!) and said that he was sorry it took so long but they had a ton of delivery and takeout orders to fulfill. That is a terrible excuse and not an apology. You're saying you value least the people dining in your establishment. Our food was delicious, but missing our movie and waiting that long for dinner is ridiculousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Cold NightsJuanitaDined on 2/23/2014I've been to this restaurant twice. The food is great. I love their curries. However, both evenings the restaurant has been cold enough that I've worn my winter coat throughout the meal. It has been an extremely cold winter in the Twin Cities, but still, they need to turn up the heat! Service was good, ambiance is good except for the temperature, and as I said, the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantPhotocastleVIPDined on 2/15/2014Have always had consistently good food here. Nice level of spice. Fresh tasting food.Special Features:
- Great that you have AsahiOliveDined on 2/15/2014Great that you have Asahi on tap! And served in beautiful beer glasses. Cranberry cream cheese wontons did not quite live up to hype, but potstickers were great. All entries were good. We had pad thai, pho, and a pork and veggie stirfry. We'll be back soon. Also: our waiter, Carlos, was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fantastic! WentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014The food was fantastic! Went here for Valentine’s Day, and it was VERY crowded and it took a while to get our food, but our server was attentive and fun. Luckily we had a reservation, and were seated quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeMANwPLANVIPDined on 1/31/2014It was a good time with great food. Kinda merged Azia and Wonderous menus but now I know where to get what I like sans the sushi. Pho was great. Excellent service. Thanks guys. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Gourmet AsianAdhirhuVIPDined on 1/25/2014Food and service were great! A bit on the spicy side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanh do is always excellent.HeidiHoDined on 12/27/2013Thanh do is always excellent. The food is fabulous, the staff is terrific and very friendly and it is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great then terribleFoodieDined on 12/26/2013This place has awesome cranberry puffs and the soup was good, then the main courses were gross. We didn't want to take it home. I recommend this place for short happy hour type meals. The atmosphere was cool and relaxing. The waitress acted irritated.Special Features:
- Dinner with husband and brotherjlLindyDined on 12/22/2013The menu is great, asian with lots of choices on great seafood/fish selections. Appetizers steamed ermamine(?) beans and the calamari both were good. My husband a vegan had the zen dish with tofu, brown rice nice to have that option, he liked it and would order it again. My brother had a stir fried with seafood good. I waited ten minutes for my dish the Grilled salmon on a plank with asparagus and rice, good. The wine selection is good I had a glass of the Temperillo, my brother had a glass of Summitt Winter Ale. The reservation process thru open table good and easy, to include adjusting the date and time. The service for water glass refills was good, the wait for my meal at the table while I watch my husband and brother eat was awkward....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebrationMertDined on 12/20/2013The food was excellent and same with the service. Only issue was the lighting, seemed dark. Will recommend to others. Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedMTKAnathanVIPDined on 12/13/2013I have driven past this restaurant for over a year and thought it was just strip mall Chinese. It turns out it's a stylish, vibrant neighborhood find with great food, attentive, attractive service and a great menu. The menu is unique and creative and the cocktail list is populated with the classic cocktails that have had a resurgence of late. I was incredibly impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ExperienceJoshVIPDined on 12/7/2013We really have never had a bad experience at Thanh Do. THis time was no exception. The food was delicious. They have a unique and delightful calamari presentation that is spicy and tasty. The other dishes, as well were great. The server, Carlos, was attentive but not intrusive and Thom, the owner came over several times as well to check on how we were doing. The only negative, and one that there was no control over was that it was a very, very cold night and the constant opening and closing of the front door left the dining room a bit cooler than ideal. To me, if that is the only complaint, they are doing pretty much everything right!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantMNPaulineVIPDined on 11/6/2013St Louis Park is so lucky to have Thom and Thanh Do! It's a wonderful place to just meet up with friends, celebrate a special occasion or have lunch/dinner everyday! What a wonderful group of people who serve great food! Come for a quick bite, come and celebrate a birthday/anniversary or come and check out the new menu or local favorites. A fun and special place! -Pauline Honolulu and MinneapolisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic foodgenericDined on 11/3/2013Tried a new menu item, sweet potato and shrimp item, would not order it again because it wasn't very special. Just a deep fried mass of more batter than anything. Outside of that, the spanker soup was exceptional and other dishes very good. Service was hit or miss. Our main server was just OK but the support staff that assisted her were very friendly and helpful!Special Features: