828 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantthalia.com/
- Phone: (212) 399-4444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday 5:00pm - 11:30pm Tuesday thru Saturday: 5:00pm - 12am; Sunday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Late Night and Lounge: Monday thru Thursday: 2:30pm - 12:00am; Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm - 12:30am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Nelson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Various business and private arrangements are possible through the Director of Private Dining.
- Private Party Facilities: Customized menus are available to suit the guest's needs.
- Private Party Contact: Helah kehati 2123994625
A word from Thalia
American cuisine with European accents, served in a spacious room with soaring ceilings, gorgeous theatrical vintage posters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thalia reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (67)good for groups (64)great for brunch (42)great for lunch (36)hot spot (33)special occasion (29)vibrant bar scene (27)romantic (17)late-night find (17)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Great pre or post theater spotMish714VIPDined on 11/23/2014Had an after-theater dinner with my husband and 14-year-old grandson. HUGE burger and fries for the younger generation, tender lamb shank with yummy butternut squash risotto for me. My husband splurged on the special - 18-oz prime rib. Everything was delicious, and they were very accommodating. I called to let them know we'd be late because our grandson was set on getting Emma Stone's autograph after we saw Cabaret. Waited a long time, but he was successful, and our table was waiting when we got to Thalia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedjoanieVIPDined on 11/22/2014Do not go on a Sunday unless you are there to drink!!! Food is less than good.....after two tries could not get poached eggs correct. (hard boiled eggs was the results).... Salad/Sandwich and Eggs!!!! that is it!!! No gluten free options for bread ......maybe just order some scrambled eggs!!!!
- Excellent NYC Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014Have eaten here many times and never disappoints. Big beautiful bar and chic ambiance. Unbelievably diverse menu and everything is great. Can get a little noisy when shows let out but not a problem. Great late night bar scene if that's what you are looking for. Dont let the theatre location concern you. Only makes it easier to get reservations while tourists are at shows and the 8th Ave. location brings a lot of locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to TheaterFloeyVIPDined on 11/21/2014Proximity to theater is a plus. Drinks are good and reasonable priced, as was dinner. Menu a combination of Asian and Italian - neither done particularly well but good enough. Fun place and very friendly, efficient service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2014I always enjoy dining at Thalia. I was there for Wednesday matinee lunch with a friend. It was her treat for my birthday. We shared a delicious pumpkin soup and then had wonderful salads. I was feted with a beautiful dessert and Happy Birthday written on the plate. complete with candle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theatre District GemBerniHHIDined on 11/18/2014When in the city, this is my go-to spot for pre or après Broadway theatre. Have eaten here many times and always enjoy the three course theatre menu as well as brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Kid Friendly, Poor Service, No ExcuseDebryDined on 11/14/2014Despite having a reservation for lunch on a weekday, we had to wait 10 minutes for them to push two tables together for a party of 5. We watched others without reservations get seated while we waited. Hostess was busy on the phone for the duration of our wait for a table. Got to the table, with the restaurant still mostly empty. Maybe 5 or 6 tables were filled when we were seated. Restaurant is touted as "Kid-Friendly", but has no kids menu, not even a crayon/coloring sheet. We placed our order, got appetizers in an acceptable amount of time (not quick, but acceptable) and then proceeded to wait ONE HOUR for our food, while many others seated after us were served. Bread on the table was never refilled during the long wait, and the waitress was rarely seen. Again, I'll reference the "Kid-Friendly" propaganda . . . as we had a 5 year old with us, which made the ridiculously long wait even more intolerable. We hadn't ordered anything extraordinary; two spaghettis, two burgers, and one lunch special. Four of us placed no drink orders, had just the water, and one member of the party ordered a diet coke, which never arrived. The burgers and the lunch special were good, but the spaghetti was doughy and clumped together, with barely any sauce. In summary, we were extremely disappointed with our dining experience.
- excellent place for post theater diningdundasmomDined on 11/13/2014We were at Thalia restaurant on a Thursday night after dinner: all the food was tasty and the service was prompt and friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/11/2014Thalia has an ambiance with a mixture of romance, fun and vibrancy with very friendly servers and interesting menu. The mushroom ravioli I had was one of the best dishes I've had in a long time!My husband's shortrib ravioli was interesting and very good also as was our super vegetable roll. A great restaurant, especially if you're going to a theater near 50th street. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday lunchJanredVIPDined on 11/9/2014We had lunch at Thalia on Sunday before a theater matinee. We loved the movie posters on the walls as well as the high ceilings which made the space feel bigger. There was a great energy in the restaurant - the tables were full - everyone looked happy. The food was delicious and the service great. The crab cake sandwich was delicious. The ham steak with eggs was delicious although the eggs were a little hard. It was a fun experience and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014What a terrific pre-theatre experience. Hadn't been to Thalia in a while, but have a renewed interest on coming when attending theatre the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for pre theatrefatboyDined on 11/6/2014Food is excellent.abiance good.location excellent.table seating good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!247foodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014This is a fabulous restaurant and whenever in NYC, we visit! Love the oysters, though everything else that we had was also fantastic. Our waitress was amazing -- friendly, sense of humor, and great delivery. Can hardly wait to return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodBunnyVIPDined on 11/5/2014Health salad was unusual and delicious. Zucchini as pasta was outstanding. Wonderful for vegetarians but just as good for non veggies.Special Features:
- Good pre-theater oasisShowrunnerDined on 11/4/2014We dined pre-theater and were happy with the food and the service, as we were on a previous visit. The fish in their sushi bar is fresh and succulent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ending to a great weekend!KellysMomDined on 11/3/2014Went to Thalia's on our last night in NYC. After my daughter found her wedding dress, we needed to celebrate. Amazing cocktails, ambiance and the food was delicious. The staff were friendly and attentive. Oysters for a dollar! You can't beat that. Beautiful decor and soft lighting. Portions were very generous! A true gem! Have also been there for lunch and brunch. It is one of our stops when we come to NYC. Perfect ending to a wonderful weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CabooseVIPDined on 11/2/2014The food and service was excellent. Waitress made sure we had plenty of time to enjoy our food before the show time.Special Features:
- dissappointedDined on 11/2/2014Food quality was poor. Only brunch menu was available at !:00 PM leaving little choice for those not wishing to have a breakfast meal. Any simple request for a minor change in the food ordered, such as elimination of ham in an omelet, was denied, as per our waiter. Extremely inflexible. Would not return to the restaurant.
- exceptionalteviscommieDined on 10/30/2014The space and place all served good energy with efficiency and a smile. for a last minute choice...excellent!Special Features:
- love this placeirkinReviewDined on 10/28/2014I've dined in Thalia many times, the food is always excellent quality. Perfect service, very prompt, friendly staff. This time I have ordered tomato-mozzarella salad, the homemade cheese was delicious. The only minus is noise level, it's always too noisy here. Otherwise highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pick for pre-theater lunchRoslynDined on 10/22/2014We really enjoyed our lunch at Thalia. The food was very good, the service was attentive and our server worked with us to make sure we got to our show on time. The location (right next to the 50th St. Subway station) is very covenient.Special Features:
- Don't go!JonskiVIPDined on 10/21/2014This place has gone downhill. Awful food. I should have been scared, when the menu mentioned they had; oysters, sushi, burgers, pasta and steaks. Nobody does all of those things right.
- Great FoodzzsharonDined on 10/18/2014We enjoy Thalia a lot. Our food was very teasty, we will return.Special Features:
- It never changes...always wonderfulAnneSDVIPDined on 10/18/2014I am always confident when bringing friends to Thalia. There has never been anyone who was not impressed by the atmosphere, the decor, the service, and of course, the outstanding food. The servers are attentive, can answer any questions, and will check with the chef if they don't know about an ingredient in a dish. It's fun to hear friends joy in eating something well prepared and perfect seasoned, and beautifully plated. I would highly recommend their version of the wedge salad with a light bacon dressing....soooo yummy! They are also experts at preparing seafood; actually everything is prepared to a T!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Lots of love and attention from the staff to go along with excellent food in this lively theater district spotI would recommend this to a friend.
- PemaquidDined on 10/18/2014Great place for dinner before or after theater. It's our go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014This is our favorite dining spot in the theater districtSpecial Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great menu variety, very good service for a totally packed busy place.
- 3 CourseGazzaDined on 10/15/2014We went with the 3 course meal before our Broadway play and it was fabulous ... we would certainly go back again!Special Features:
- goldens2Dined on 10/15/2014I have eaten here numerous times. It has always been consistently good for food and service.Special Features:
- operaloverVIPDined on 10/12/2014Very disappointing brunch. Had to wait a while for waitress to take our drinks order. Complimentary muffins were dry. Appetizer arrived before they even brought our drink order. One appetizer order never arrived. One main course was not prepared as requested. Pancakes were dry. Coffee not refilled until we were for the most part done with our meal. Would never return.
- Just okayRhea58VIPDined on 10/11/2014Very pretty popular place with efficient waitstaff. Their brunch offerings are good altho the omelet was disappointing.Special Features:
- Theatre district RestauranthmortDined on 10/8/2014Thalia was convenient to our show & parking lot. We were seated immediately upon arrival (had a reservation) Tables were very tightly arranged. Prices are a little high for pasta/ seafood special. But it was delicious. We shared 2 apps, 3 salads(caesar,health & can't remember the other name) & 3 entrees amongst 6 ladies which was delicious & filling.Special sushi roll was fab. Service was good. Entrees came out nice & hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Refried French friesDeliceDined on 10/8/2014I have been to Thalias many many times, but it will be awhile before I return. The service was slow and the food was awful. The French fries were refried many time and the hamburger was cold as if it sat for some time before they brought it out from the kitchen. Although they took it off the bill that was not the point. The manager was busy explaining that it was a Wednesday matinee day and that the restaurant was very busy. I we were very disappointed as this was a regular go to restaurant in the theater district.
- Brunch is awsome!SherylVIPDined on 10/5/2014Great location, beautiful space, very crowded, good crab cakes and gilled chicken sandwich -- bottomless mimosa option is fantastic!I would recommend this to a friend.
- LindaVIPDined on 10/2/2014Fit the bill for good food in pleasant atmosphere pre theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and quick, close to showsNettoVIPDined on 10/1/2014We made a reservation based on recommendation of friends. Very close to some theaters, good prices. Excellent choices for sushi and sashimi, very tasty burgers. Lunch before the matinee was easy to finish, due to very good service. Very pleasant experience inside, even though the weather outside was awful. A very attractive interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diva1Dined on 9/30/2014Always a satisfying eating experience. Excellent wait staff. food prep and presentation delicious and appealing to the eye. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great theater district findLK123Dined on 9/28/20148th Avenue is not my preferred location but we needed a local place for brunch/lunch pre-theater on a Sunday. The service was very attentive and the food came out quickly. We loved the open, modern atmosphere which is good for groups, large or small. We had: oysters, omelets, salads and drinks. Everyone enjoyed their food and the generous sized portions. Great menu, excellent service and an attractive atmosphere comes with a price tag, and isn't that expected while in the theater district? Would definitely recommend and I will likely return!Special Features:
- Service needs a wake upOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014There were five of us dining at Thalia. Somehow, they managed to screw up at least one thing per person. Ordered items were forgotten, misunderstood. We had to ask for cutlery, condiments, and other items. If it weren't for the fact that I've dined at Thalia multiple times in the past and I know its generally better, I wouldn't go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.