828 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantthalia.com/
- Phone: 2123994444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday 5:00pm - 11:30pm Tuesday thru Saturday: 5:00pm - 12am; Sunday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Late Night and Lounge: Monday thru Thursday: 2:30pm - 12:00am; Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm - 12:30am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Nelson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Various business and private arrangements are possible through the Director of Private Dining.
- Private Party Facilities: Customized menus are available to suit the guest's needs.
- Private Party Contact: Helah kehati 2123994625
A word from Thalia
American cuisine with European accents, served in a spacious room with soaring ceilings, gorgeous theatrical vintage posters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thalia reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (60)great for brunch (46)good for groups (41)great for lunch (33)special occasion (31)vibrant bar scene (30)hot spot (25)late-night find (21)romantic (21)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (8)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- great food is n the heart of NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014Good food, good ambiance, good service, good price. Very happy customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Service, AmbiianceDniceDined on 8/30/2014It is a nice restaurant, decorated vibrantly, inviting and serves excellent food. The service was also very good.Special Features:
- AwfulBobSleddVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have dined all over the world,a VIP diner on Open Table & this is only the 2nd time that I have written a review.I have no choice. While ambiance and service always make a difference, at the end of the day, the quality of the food is outcome determinative.The meal that my family was served at Thalia was,categorically,the worst that I ever have encountered. Several (not one, but several) prominent menu items were not available(perhaps that was a blessing).What we ultimately were served ranged from wilted lettuce that should have been thrown out days earlier to a ravioli sauce that was right out of a tin can and food that simply was not edible. We left & went down the street to a sports bar where flatbread pizza from a pub put Thalia to shame
- Always a good pre-theater choiceMicahBVIPDined on 8/29/2014Whether for brunch, lunch or dinner, Thalia is a convenient, reasonable choice for dining before or after a Broadway show. I love it for brunch. Dinner was good too. While there was not a kids menu, they did a good job with accommodating young children. We had very good pasta dishes, the signature French fries, a sushi roll and soup among the selections.Special Features:
- excellent pre-theater restaurantRobertVIPDined on 8/28/2014excellent pre-theater dinner restaurant. the food was fresh, plentiful and reasonably priced!Special Features:
- like the foodhyraxVIPDined on 8/27/2014this is my second time coming to this place. The food is still good especially the half-price oyster!Special Features:
- great fresh menuLJLULUVIPDined on 8/25/2014though highly priced, the oyster special at a dollar a pop was the real steal. the sushi was uber fresh and the burger was succulent, moist and well cooked. we ate at the bar which was very comfy but there is a lounge area that looked terrific, as well as varied table configurations. i was very impressed. also, if you time it right you can get street parking free after 7 close by.Special Features:
- Great Food!SlimDined on 8/22/2014Have been coming to Thalia regularly over the years on our trips to New York City. We have never been disappointed. The mark of a good restaurant is consistency, and Thalia excels at that!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014The Thalia burger was obscenely thick and despite all the ingredients, surprisingly tasteless and dry.
- Excellent food, service, atmosphereChrisDined on 8/12/2014Went to this excellent restaurant after going to the theater around the corner (August Wilson- "Jersey Boys"). It was less than a five minute walk. My party had sushi, pasta, and the arugula salad with shrimp. The sushi was outstanding and the salads and pasta were delicious. The olive tampanade that accompanies the bread was very nice, too. Our waitress was pleasant and very attentive. All around a thumbs up! I would highly recommend Thalia for a late night dinner or for any meal!Special Features:
- Great place to eat before theaterMarlenedcVIPDined on 8/12/2014Eclectic but interesting menu, lots of fish and seafood and other things for anyone not wanting fish. Reasonably priced and huge portions. My friend and I split a salad and I could barely finish my entree. I had a tuna burger which was perfectly cooked medium rare, with cole slaw. My friend had the sweet potato gnocci which was light and so flavorful. Perfectly situated in the upper theatre district.Special Features:
- ThaliamfcfoodloverDined on 8/11/2014We have passed this restaurant every trip to NYC! Finally tried it, and it was GREAT! Loved our special drinks, and the Restaurant Week menu offered great variety from kale salad, oriental rolls, tilapia or burgers, to name a few. Loved the atmosphere!Special Features:
- JuliaDined on 8/10/2014I have eaten here many times and it never disappoints. Brunch is a great buy. I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go there!OBOYDined on 8/6/2014Drinks half priced for happy hour, food excellent, staff pleasant and attentive.Special Features:
- MickyDined on 8/5/2014Service good, food fine, but noisy. Not bad for theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentBklynDinerDined on 8/3/2014Waitstaff was great, general manager was rude and assumed we were tourists. Made reservation to get seated late when restaurant was empty. Food was ok, not worth the price. My arugula salad was better than my meal
- Excellent find in Theatre DistrictCarynJDined on 8/1/2014I found Thalia by chance when searching for restaurants around the Times Square area to stop and get appetizers and drinks before the show. The portions were very large and delicious. The wait staff was very prompt, attentive and friendly. Would definitely go back for a full course dinner - Everything looks so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive and AttractiveDiva1Dined on 7/29/2014Staff attentive to a group. Food well prepared and presented as well as delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sharonVIPDined on 7/29/2014I've been here many times - food is always good, as is the serviceSpecial Features:
- great pre theater placedocky2VIPDined on 7/29/2014we have always liked this restaurant for a very good pre-theater meal. They know how to get you out on time without hurrying. this time we came back after theater for dessert. Very nice to be welcomed back!!Special Features:
- Ok food in a sophisticated settingJan2Dined on 7/29/2014We went during restaurant week. The menu was limited but interesting enough. Except for desert, the food was edible but not tasty. I ordered the Cornish hen and my husband ordered salmon. We wouldn't return. The service was ok.
- pre theatre gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014We were seated immediately and approached by our server quickly. Drinks came promptly. All questions were answered. The salads ordered were excellent. Four different entrees were ordered and each were very good. The noise level was still at an acceptable level. We were finished in good time to arrive at the theatre on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Theatre DiningJfromWVDined on 7/19/2014While in NYC, we went to a Sat evening performance of Motown. We booked Thalia's for dinner post theatre, with dinner reservations at 10:45P, because it was nearby & reviews were positive. One of the best meals during our trip, service was attentive & the interior was unique & theatre oriented. When in NYC again, would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the service!MarvinChicagoDined on 7/19/2014Our server didn't seem to want to be working this very night and there was a disconnect between him and his busser/assistant. We were seated right way (two of us) along with another table of four. The wait staff at each table was different. The four top received bread and water as well as drinks prior to us being greeted. Drink orders were taken and one of the two was delivered wrong. A simple Bacardi and Diet Coke with lime. Again, our waiter was not with it. When ordering dinner it was almost painful for our waiter to take the order. Another larger group was seated next to us and a different waitress listed off a handful of specials, none of which were on the menu. Shame on us for not asking. The food was delicious. Our service, bad.Special Features:
- 2 for 2PhillyMikeDined on 7/17/2014We found this restaurant last year on our annual trip to the theater and were blown away. We decided to come back again to see if Thalia could back it up! They nailed it. The food is creative with each dish executed with ranges of flavors and textures that delight the eyes and the taste buds. The service is top notch, knowledgeable and attentive. With as many restaurants that there are to try, I am surprised and pleased to say that I think Thalia will be in our rotation for years to come. Also, the restaurant is very convenient to the Theater District which is important to us. We like to eat before the show and Thalia is within easy walking distance of the theaters, making the transit from restaurant to theater a very predictable walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for lunchBubblesVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great quick lunch spot. Service was incredible. Right in the middle of lunch time and we didn't feel rushed. Food presentation was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious fishFishDined on 7/16/2014One of the best fish meals I have had. I ordered their seafood special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/12/2014Great ambience, Very friendly and accommodating wait staff and hostess, tasty food and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New To UsGardinerReviewerDined on 7/9/2014We researched restaurants in the theater district, and after mulling over a few, decided on Thalia. We were not disappointed. The waiter, Alex, was very pleasant. The ambiance was wonderful. There is a two-course special lunch that was quite reasonable. The first course iceberg lettuce salad with walnut dressing was superb! My husband's burger was very good. My frittata was fresh, but admittedly, a tad bland. Our companions' salads were also fresh and well-prepared. All in all, we'd definitely put Thalia on our go-back-to list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good.RitchieDined on 7/8/2014Always enjoy eating at Thalia. The food is always good and the menu has something for everyone. Very good happy hour and attentive and knowledgeable wait staff. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing! Disappointing!VMVAtlantaVIPDined on 7/5/2014NYC is known for wonderful restaurants. Thalia is not one of them. The decor is lovely. The coffee was hot and bold, both features we appreciate, but it was the high point of the meal. The Salmon Benedict with potatoes was mediocre, with mushy potatoes, served barely warm, that had little taste. The english muffin that formed the base of the dish was charred. Toward the end of our meal, one of the two hostesses approached our table, glanced at the check, asking “All settled up?” She expressed no interest in our dining experience, only if we had paid our bill. Six weeks ago we sent a letter to Thalia expressing our concerns. No response. For a consistently wonderful brunch experience, go to Norma's at Le Parker Meridien.
- reliable theater district foodjenynyVIPDined on 7/3/2014I have had brunch and dinner here many times over many years. It is always good, sometimes better than good but always good. The creamy polenta appetizer has been on the menu forever and I hope it never leaves. My salmon was well cooked, but it was swimming in a near soup-like mixture of too many things. My friend's prawns were perfect. The waitress asked if we were pre-theater, and service was excellent. The place was packed and very noisy, not surprising for pre-theater, but less than relaxing. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our meal (house made sorbet was fruity and just a little icy) and I will go happily return next time I am in that area.Special Features:
- WinecouchonDined on 7/1/2014Excellent choice for pre-theater. Super pleasant staff. Food choices diverse and well presented. Fresh, delicious and healthy options. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome findReeree123Dined on 6/29/2014You would be surprised to find such a fabulous restaurant in the heart of the theater district in New York City. But it truly is awesome in every way -- food and service and atmosphere !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Thalia is outstanding!luveatingoutDined on 6/29/2014My experience at Thalia was wonderful. The people who work there are friendly, the service was excellent, and they were very accommodating. The presentation of the food was great and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend tell you anyone who wants to experience a wonderful meal and the ambianve is gorgeous.My friend and I went there for both brunch and dinner. That is how much we enjoyed this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater brunchMickeyDined on 6/29/2014Thalia has been a regular "go-to" for us for about 12 years. The weekend brunch, in particular, is reasonable, tasty and has a variety of offerings to suit every taste. This past Sunday's visit was not my favorite. I would go earlier if possible, As you approach matinee time it gets crowded and hectic.Special Features:
- would definitely go again!wanderinggeminiDined on 6/28/2014Went to NYC over the weekend with my 9 yr old son. Discovered Thalia on line and was not dissappointed! The menu, not overwhelming in legnth, has something for everyone from Sushi to burgers to pasta! My son loved his pasta! I had oysters and sweet potato gnochhi and both were wonderful! Can't wait to try it again!!Special Features:
- We enjoyed it allLouisDined on 6/27/2014The four of us had a great time, relaxed no rushing though Thalia was a hopping restaurant, food was good, our wine was excellent. Our server did a great job. We would recommend and probably go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater boundLettuce77Dined on 6/26/2014Small plates, good food for the theater bound. They were mindful of our curtain time.
- The service was superb.pattycakeDined on 6/21/2014I ordered crab cake sandwich without the spicy oil but tho the crab cakes were delicious it was too spicy for my taste. I did not send it back but believe they used the spicy oil. I did not want french fries that came with the meal and requested tomatoes instead. They gave me a generous amount of tomatoes that were perfectly ripe and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.