828 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantthalia.com/
- Phone: 2123994444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday thru Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday 5:00pm - 11:30pm Tuesday thru Saturday: 5:00pm - 12am; Sunday: 4:30pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Late Night and Lounge: Monday thru Thursday: 2:30pm - 12:00am; Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm - 12:30am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Nelson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Various business and private arrangements are possible through the Director of Private Dining.
- Private Party Facilities: Customized menus are available to suit the guest's needs.
- Private Party Contact: Helah kehati 2123994625
A word from Thalia
American cuisine with European accents, served in a spacious room with soaring ceilings, gorgeous theatrical vintage posters.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thalia reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (63)good for groups (51)great for brunch (37)special occasion (32)great for lunch (32)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (27)romantic (23)late-night find (19)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- freddiVIPDined on 9/18/2014good pretheater.excellent location.pretty interior.would go back. all in our party felt the same way.Special Features:
- Great for Pre TheaterMarlaDined on 9/16/2014We picked Thalia as we were going to Circle in the Square. It's right across the street. While the food was fair, the staff was lovely and I would go back when I'm going to theater in the vicinity.
- Excellent experienceTootsiesDadDined on 9/14/2014The food was delicious. I had the short ribs which were melt in your mouth tender. Also, the fior de latte was very generous and fresh , fresh , fresh. Blue point oysters at $1.00 each were exceptional. Very reasonable tab for two with drinks. I'll be back next time I'm in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch 9/14Grandma4Dined on 9/14/2014Have gone many times & enjoy it every time. Good food, good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place. Great ServicejayeatziDined on 9/13/2014The hostess got my group seated immediately. The food and atmosphere was perfect for our post show revelry. Those that ordered sushi and the specials of the night were especially pleased. The cocktail creations were fantastic. I will of course recommend and return.Special Features:
- Consistently Nice SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014We have dined here for many years before the theater. The place is nice, the food is good, the service is good and they get you out in plenty of time for the theater. We always enjoy it. Very consistent and reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for dinnernycoccasionallyDined on 9/7/2014surprisingly affordable for a nice, quick dinner on a sunday night with the girlfriend. dollar oysters after 7pm were a big hit. had a delicious pasta dish. would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and not just before theaterwm68VIPDined on 9/7/2014I agree with all the reviewers who said they get you out in time for your performance without feeing that they are rushing you. It's an attractive, comfortable space. Somewhat unexpected was the food tasted great and the menu displayed some real creativity.Special Features:
- wonderfulwonderfulDined on 9/3/2014I was impressed with a happy hour prices as well as dinner. I am from Philadelphia was busy for the day. My New York City experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SundayDined on 9/2/2014Great food and many choices for all food types. Love the polenta, Thalia health salad, and veggie rolls. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- great food is n the heart of NYCluv2dinealotDined on 8/31/2014Good food, good ambiance, good service, good price. Very happy customer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre theaterGloriaDined on 8/31/2014We went there for a pre theater dinner. The food was good and the waitress made sure we were done in time for the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GhostDined on 8/31/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and usually enjoy the ambiance as well as the food. We shared a rainbow roll which was delicious. My husband's pork chop was also delicious. When it was my turn to order I was told that the restaurant was out of the grilled Mayan prawns. This was on a Sunday at 5:00. I don't understand this as the restaurant opens for dinner at 4:30. I had the Tuna which was good but not as good as the prawns which I have had before. In conclusion, I was really looking forward to this dinner and was disappointed that I could not have the dinner that I wanted.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Service, AmbiianceDniceVIPDined on 8/30/2014It is a nice restaurant, decorated vibrantly, inviting and serves excellent food. The service was also very good.Special Features:
- AwfulBobSleddVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have dined all over the world,a VIP diner on Open Table & this is only the 2nd time that I have written a review.I have no choice. While ambiance and service always make a difference, at the end of the day, the quality of the food is outcome determinative.The meal that my family was served at Thalia was,categorically,the worst that I ever have encountered. Several (not one, but several) prominent menu items were not available(perhaps that was a blessing).What we ultimately were served ranged from wilted lettuce that should have been thrown out days earlier to a ravioli sauce that was right out of a tin can and food that simply was not edible. We left & went down the street to a sports bar where flatbread pizza from a pub put Thalia to shame
- Always a good pre-theater choiceMicahBVIPDined on 8/29/2014Whether for brunch, lunch or dinner, Thalia is a convenient, reasonable choice for dining before or after a Broadway show. I love it for brunch. Dinner was good too. While there was not a kids menu, they did a good job with accommodating young children. We had very good pasta dishes, the signature French fries, a sushi roll and soup among the selections.Special Features:
- excellent pre-theater restaurantRobertVIPDined on 8/28/2014excellent pre-theater dinner restaurant. the food was fresh, plentiful and reasonably priced!Special Features:
- like the foodhyraxVIPDined on 8/27/2014this is my second time coming to this place. The food is still good especially the half-price oyster!Special Features:
- great fresh menuLJLULUVIPDined on 8/25/2014though highly priced, the oyster special at a dollar a pop was the real steal. the sushi was uber fresh and the burger was succulent, moist and well cooked. we ate at the bar which was very comfy but there is a lounge area that looked terrific, as well as varied table configurations. i was very impressed. also, if you time it right you can get street parking free after 7 close by.Special Features:
- Great Food!SlimDined on 8/22/2014Have been coming to Thalia regularly over the years on our trips to New York City. We have never been disappointed. The mark of a good restaurant is consistency, and Thalia excels at that!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/15/2014The Thalia burger was obscenely thick and despite all the ingredients, surprisingly tasteless and dry.
- Excellent food, service, atmosphereChrisDined on 8/12/2014Went to this excellent restaurant after going to the theater around the corner (August Wilson- "Jersey Boys"). It was less than a five minute walk. My party had sushi, pasta, and the arugula salad with shrimp. The sushi was outstanding and the salads and pasta were delicious. The olive tampanade that accompanies the bread was very nice, too. Our waitress was pleasant and very attentive. All around a thumbs up! I would highly recommend Thalia for a late night dinner or for any meal!Special Features:
- Great place to eat before theaterMarlenedcVIPDined on 8/12/2014Eclectic but interesting menu, lots of fish and seafood and other things for anyone not wanting fish. Reasonably priced and huge portions. My friend and I split a salad and I could barely finish my entree. I had a tuna burger which was perfectly cooked medium rare, with cole slaw. My friend had the sweet potato gnocci which was light and so flavorful. Perfectly situated in the upper theatre district.Special Features:
- ThaliamfcfoodloverDined on 8/11/2014We have passed this restaurant every trip to NYC! Finally tried it, and it was GREAT! Loved our special drinks, and the Restaurant Week menu offered great variety from kale salad, oriental rolls, tilapia or burgers, to name a few. Loved the atmosphere!Special Features:
- JuliaDined on 8/10/2014I have eaten here many times and it never disappoints. Brunch is a great buy. I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go there!OBOYDined on 8/6/2014Drinks half priced for happy hour, food excellent, staff pleasant and attentive.Special Features:
- MickyDined on 8/5/2014Service good, food fine, but noisy. Not bad for theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentBklynDinerDined on 8/3/2014Waitstaff was great, general manager was rude and assumed we were tourists. Made reservation to get seated late when restaurant was empty. Food was ok, not worth the price. My arugula salad was better than my meal
- Excellent find in Theatre DistrictCarynJDined on 8/1/2014I found Thalia by chance when searching for restaurants around the Times Square area to stop and get appetizers and drinks before the show. The portions were very large and delicious. The wait staff was very prompt, attentive and friendly. Would definitely go back for a full course dinner - Everything looks so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive and AttractiveDiva1Dined on 7/29/2014Staff attentive to a group. Food well prepared and presented as well as delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sharonVIPDined on 7/29/2014I've been here many times - food is always good, as is the serviceSpecial Features:
- great pre theater placedocky2VIPDined on 7/29/2014we have always liked this restaurant for a very good pre-theater meal. They know how to get you out on time without hurrying. this time we came back after theater for dessert. Very nice to be welcomed back!!Special Features:
- Ok food in a sophisticated settingJan2Dined on 7/29/2014We went during restaurant week. The menu was limited but interesting enough. Except for desert, the food was edible but not tasty. I ordered the Cornish hen and my husband ordered salmon. We wouldn't return. The service was ok.
- pre theatre gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014We were seated immediately and approached by our server quickly. Drinks came promptly. All questions were answered. The salads ordered were excellent. Four different entrees were ordered and each were very good. The noise level was still at an acceptable level. We were finished in good time to arrive at the theatre on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Theatre DiningJfromWVDined on 7/19/2014While in NYC, we went to a Sat evening performance of Motown. We booked Thalia's for dinner post theatre, with dinner reservations at 10:45P, because it was nearby & reviews were positive. One of the best meals during our trip, service was attentive & the interior was unique & theatre oriented. When in NYC again, would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the service!MarvinChicagoDined on 7/19/2014Our server didn't seem to want to be working this very night and there was a disconnect between him and his busser/assistant. We were seated right way (two of us) along with another table of four. The wait staff at each table was different. The four top received bread and water as well as drinks prior to us being greeted. Drink orders were taken and one of the two was delivered wrong. A simple Bacardi and Diet Coke with lime. Again, our waiter was not with it. When ordering dinner it was almost painful for our waiter to take the order. Another larger group was seated next to us and a different waitress listed off a handful of specials, none of which were on the menu. Shame on us for not asking. The food was delicious. Our service, bad.Special Features:
- 2 for 2PhillyMikeDined on 7/17/2014We found this restaurant last year on our annual trip to the theater and were blown away. We decided to come back again to see if Thalia could back it up! They nailed it. The food is creative with each dish executed with ranges of flavors and textures that delight the eyes and the taste buds. The service is top notch, knowledgeable and attentive. With as many restaurants that there are to try, I am surprised and pleased to say that I think Thalia will be in our rotation for years to come. Also, the restaurant is very convenient to the Theater District which is important to us. We like to eat before the show and Thalia is within easy walking distance of the theaters, making the transit from restaurant to theater a very predictable walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for lunchBubblesVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great quick lunch spot. Service was incredible. Right in the middle of lunch time and we didn't feel rushed. Food presentation was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious fishFishDined on 7/16/2014One of the best fish meals I have had. I ordered their seafood special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/12/2014Great ambience, Very friendly and accommodating wait staff and hostess, tasty food and reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.