833 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60642Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thaliaspice.com/
- Phone: 3122266020
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:29pm; Monday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 2:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Thalia offers off-site catering enabling you to bring their most popular dishes to your home or office for a lunch or dinner your guests are sure to remember. We regularly diliver lunch orders feeding 175 people. You can think big, and think of Thalia.
- Private Party Facilities: Thalia can "wow" your guests with any combination of their spectacular dining rooms. From an intimate dinner for two or a hundred, Thalia will make your romantic evening plans something special.
- Private Party Contact: Anna 3122266020
- Cross Street: Green St
- Public Transit: Destination "Chicago & Halsted". Take the BLUE, BROWN or RED Line to the Chicago Stop. Then head towards 833 W Chicago Ave. by walking or taking the CTA Bus #66. Eastbound from BLUE (.25 mile). Westbound from RED (1 mile) or BROWN (.5 mile).
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Thalia is surrounded by ample street parking and attached to a “self-park” parking lot made available by the Chicago Center of Performing Arts. Coin operated meter parking is available on Chicago Ave too (8 quarters for two hours with the City's new parking meter rates). Also for $5 charge, Thalia has a lot directly behind our building (please stop into Thalia for a windshield-coupon before parking to save you a 2nd trip to the car)
A word from Thalia Spice
Thalia Spice, inspired by land and sea, is an eclectic collection of various pan Asian cuisines served in tapas size portion for your tasting enjoyment in a collection of intimate, modern loft dining rooms. Thalia offers traditional Thai dishes, Japanese Sushi, and a host of exotic creations from all over SouthEast Asia. The house specialties are where the menu truly comes to life. Not be be missed: Kama Sutra, Yaya Noodles, Sake Baby Ribs, and Mango Seared Scallops to name a few. You must also sample the fabulous cocktails with names like: One Night in Bangkok, Jack Meets Thalia, and the SiamTini. Your journey awaits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thalia Spice reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)special occasion (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great sushi but...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014Be prepared to spend a long time there, even if its not busy. Also, beware, parking lot behind restaurant is not for patrons. Owner of lot will come into restaurant and get manager to shake you down to move, be towed or cough up $5. A bargain for parking but the manner it was done was quite rude.Special Features:
- bad experience with foodalwaysveggie77VIPDined on 8/3/2014I am strictly vegetarian and requested our server to ensure that the food had No fish sauce, meat, eggs in our order. Our green curry came out with chicken in it, which I didn't notice until half way through the dish. On bringing this to the servers attention she made a joke about it and laughed. It was not a laughing matter for me, as I am religiously vegetarian and very offended by her response. They later apologized and replaced the dish, which really does not make up for their lack of attention and attitude towards their guests. I will not be going back to the restaurant. Horrible service and food.Special Features:
- Great sushisansuVIPDined on 7/31/2014It was our first time at Thalia and we enjoyed our meal. We tried different sushi rolls and all were fantastic. My lychee martini was delicious. Service was good. We will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceFletchVIPDined on 5/31/2014I very rarely write a negative review, but our service experience was terrible to the point which it ruined the entire experience. Our meal turned into about 2 1/2 hour event even though we were 1 of 4 tables that was there that evening. After asking for our check, we waited for 30 minutes! After waiting we finally approached the server and asked again. He finally brought it only to take another 15 minutes to pick it up.
- Loved everything !MstyphillipsDined on 5/31/2014Food service everything was good! Drinks excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 389 reviews are from the Thalia Spice reviews archive.
- Always consistentRsquaredVIPDined on 5/16/2014Thalia always has good service and great food. Yummy drunks too! Will continue to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian FusionFromDetroitDined on 4/5/2014Took our family and had a great time. Food was fresh and loved eating tapas style. Very reasonably priced. Would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hmm, interesting?LoLoDined on 3/24/2014We had a very interesting experience at Thalia Spice. The food was just ok, definitely nothing we would die to have again. The waitress was fine, but she hadn't tried anything on the menu so she couldn't help us with our ordering. The apps took a really long time to come, so we just got our entrees to go. The ambiance was good, except that there were infomercials on the tv and the music was kind of techno clubby and too loud~ it didn't match the rest of the vibe of the restaurant. There was only a manager, who was also the bartender, one waitress, one runner, one sushi chef, and maybe one cook (as we couldn't see, but assume this since the food took forever).Special Features:
- Worth the Pothole risk!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/14/2014West of Halsted and just off Chicago Ave where some of the city's biggest potholes lurk is a charming and fun little Thai, Japanese, Asian restaurant. A few minutes early for our reservation we were promptly seated in a private romantic little room next to the wine cellar. Our server was wonderful! Very patient, helpful and happy as we decided from the vast menu. Mussels in coconut milk broth, spicy grilled shrimp, Rising Sun and Full Moon Maki rolls - all spectacular and delicious. There were several large groups in the dining room, yet our service was never lacking. We will be back again to try a new sampling fro each of the pages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, okay servicejechiDined on 3/14/2014The service was friendly, but slow. A table of 5 ordered sushi rolls, and they were delivered one at a time. It probably took 20 minutes for us to get them all delivered! But there were delicious. And the desserts were lovely. A nice evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014Great spot for date night! Its hard to find a good Thia restaurant and Thilia spots is one of the good ones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to take your girlOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Great place to take your girl on the 3rd or 4th date...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in the cityDavidRS4VIPDined on 1/28/2014This is my favorite sushi restaurant in the city! Their Thalia roll is the best. They are also very accommodating and its nice that they have Thai food and many different options for non-sushi people as well. They are also working on expanding their wine selections - a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Foodfatfat83Dined on 1/25/2014I encourage anyone/everyone to try this place out. The food and drinks are amazing, if you like home cooked meals at a reasonable price you need to check this place out you will not regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a terrific priceFindingNewPlacesVIPDined on 1/17/2014We wanted Thai Friday night, and something close to home. Found this place on open table, and really happy we did. Menu was awesome, something for everyone and some really unique dishes. You could tell everything was fresh and prepared well. Service was good, wait staff was quick to refill our drinks, but still gave us time to relax and enjoy our meal. The prices are terrific really great as well!Special Features:
- Good food, poor service.MannyDined on 1/16/2014When asked to sit in a private room as opposed to a congested booth, the manager initially stated the room was only for private parties, then changed his response that the ceiling in that room was leaking due to the snow. Once the first 4 of our party of 7 arrived, it took 25 minutes to place and order and receive our drinks. The remaining 3 of our party was asked after 20 minutes of sitting down as to what drinks they would like. When the food order was placed, all the appetizers arrived but then were left on the table empty, while the dinner entrees were brought out. We moved our empty plates to another table on our own. It took one of us to stand and find our waitress to obtain our check, deliver our credit cards, and obtain our receipt.
- It was alright!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/13/2013If you must plan to make a last minute plan and can't get reservations for a group of 10-12 on Friday, this is your place as it can accommodate big groups. However, service was just off and the food was hit or miss, some things were good, some were just OK and portions too small for the price. Would I go back? ummm... probably not, unless am going for small group or just myself to pick up few things that were good.Special Features:
- A good place to take friendsScigourmetDined on 10/14/2013Thalia's food, within the Asian tradition with Thai emphasis, has character. The volcano soup is a great starter, spicy with abundant seafood. The green papaya salad is also interesting. My favorite is the Thalia's fish with tamarind sauce, either tilapia or salmon, with a sweet slightly caramelized crust, a Thai dish that I have not foudd in other Thai restaurants in Chicago. The variety in the menu (including sushi) gives plenty of choices for larger dining parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThaliaPeanutVIPDined on 9/20/2013Excellent food! Terrible service in the sense that they were understaffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although they claim extensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2013Although they claim extensive gluten-free menu, many dishes were prepared outside the restaurant an servers not clear on which dishes contained gluten.Special Features:
- Great food; worst service everSigraffVIPDined on 9/7/2013First the good: interesting, tasty pan-Asian menu. Which is the bad. When we arrived they had a high-top table for us with backless bar stools, which was not acceptable. This created some drama around finding us an alternative, though we were eventually seated at a suitable table. Over the course of the evening, however, neither our original table nor others were occupied, and the restaurant was mostly empty. That wasn't all: 20-25 minutes for drinks, each time we ordered them. No water And no one coming by to check if we needed water or anything else, for 20-30 minutes at a time. In a mostly empty restaurant where the staff was busy talking among themselves. And so on. Had to flag wait staff for everything. Won't be back.Special Features:
- Thai foodPattiVIPDined on 9/3/2013Off the beaten path but worth the trek to eat at Thalia Spice. Service was very good, not pushy, and knowledgeable about the menu. Lunch specials seemed very reasonable but sushi rolls too delicious to pass up. Mojito was very yummy!Special Features:
- Not like it used to be...WolffgangVIPDined on 7/18/2013We've eaten here before and been to private parties here as well. But we haven't been here for about 2 years so we thought we would give a try again. We were very disappointed in the food this time. Not like before. Very heavy handed on the spices and lacking that fresh. clean taste we had experienced before. Sorry to say that things seem to have declined over time.
- Had nice write ups, but....CollieVIPDined on 6/2/2013We were the only ones at this restaurant the entire Sunday evening. How do they stay open? Although the manager that evening was nice, service was so pathetic ): Really disappointed as it was a Birthday celebration and I chose the place....
- They were out of both dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/1/2013They were out of both dishes we ordered. The owner was apologetic, but the place was empty on a Saturday night, so it was curious that the food was not available.
- Had a lot of fun...in spite of.....xnasa57Dined on 5/4/2013....the service. The staff was friendly and polite and got most of our order correct. It wasn't a huge inconvience but our server was very young and soft-spoken and seemed at times that when we ordered wasn't really what we got. Some items, samosas, were a bit overdone, and the unagi was kinda bland....but most of our meal was pleasant enough. Parking was easy and Thalia Spice itself was a very enjoyable place to spend a couple of hours. I'd go back with a group, but I wouldn't go out of my way to return for say a quiet dinner with my spouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sushi was fresh and delicious.FoodlvrVIPDined on 4/29/2013The sushi was fresh and delicious. Dim sum platter was outstanding. Very good service. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- We went to Thalia Cafe onOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/27/2013We went to Thalia Cafe on a Saturday night and the service was great. The food was very flavorful and cooked to our specifications (not too spicy, but with enough spice to give it some kick. The atmosphere was lovely and we enjoyed our dinner very much. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- A work in progressKenCVIPDined on 4/25/2013The Thalia Spice dip appetizer was quite good. The shrimp tempura unfortunately had only one shrimp and instead of tempura batter used a mix of panko mixed with a binder. Interesting but somewhat disappointing.The Tom Yum and Volcano soups were spicy and tasty. The volcano soup needed to be hotter when served.The nan was tiny corners of limp dough and quite forgettable.The mussels were huge green-lips in a nice savory broth. 5 mussels total. The Thai fried rice was ok. The broccoli with chicken was very bland.The Masamam curry with beef was tasty-the beef was tough and tasteless. The River noodle was not very exciting again the beef was tough. Should have gone with the Pad Thai.Special Features:
- Great food, irratic serviceFranckoDined on 3/24/2013We went for early Sunday dinner after a matinee. The food was outstanding. We had both sushi and thai. Several items were not available, the staff blamed it on a busy weekend. The service was irratic. There were only a few tables filled at this hour. I believe our official waiter was a teenage boy, who was clueless. We had to keep asking whoever came by, more than once, to take our order. As expected, the sushi and hot entrees were not served at the same time. However, one hot entree was served ten minutes before the other. We will try again becuase the food was outstanding. Maybe at a more popular hour.
- Not the best service and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/23/2013Not the best service and very uncomfortable seating. We also had to wait 20 mts after our reservation time to get a table.
- Delicious food / unique atmospherePickyDinerVIPDined on 3/23/2013Went with a group of 7 last evening, for my first visit to Thalia Spice. The menu offers great variety and everything we tried was well prepared and presented and quite delicous. I really like the ambience of this place, sort of modern/funky but with traditional touches in the decor. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- i love that they provide informatioOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2013i love that they provide information re: gluten in certain dishes...takes the guess work out of making sure what i order will not be a problem. food is tasty, with unusual choices in a very extensive menu.Special Features:
- Best meal start-finish I ever hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Everything about our meal was amazing… everything had so much flavor… can't wait to go back!!Special Features:
- The food was creative andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/7/2013The food was creative and delicious and the overall atmosphere for lunch was pleasant. I had to bring down my rating on service because it took more than 30 minutes for one order to arrive, but apparently they were understaffed and the staff offered us free desserts to compensate. I would not let this minor inconvenience outweigh a return trip. In fact, our group was talking about coming back for dinner w/ our husbands!Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2012What a great find! We made last minute plans for NYE and there was a table free for the 4 of us. Parking was plentiful.Special Features:
- I was a little nervous becauseCraigMDined on 12/15/2012I was a little nervous because the place was half empty on a Saturday night but the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- This review is for the MasterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012This review is for the Master Chef Suzy Singh dinner.
- We opted to have only appetizersSartVIPDined on 12/4/2012We opted to have only appetizers and that may have been a mistake. Not that the food was bad at all. Sake ribs in a sweetish sauce, clay-pot mussels in a zingy coconut milk broth, and a green noodle dish with beef and vegetables were all very good. A mutsu apple salad was the best dish. So, everything was good, but nothing was outstanding. Service was accommodating. Prices were perhaps a bit high for the portion sizes, especially the ribs and mussels.Special Features:
- Very small place, out of theOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/24/2012Very small place, out of the way, but the food was fabulous. Every dish we had tasted unique and was the perfect amount (not so small you feel had and not too big you feel wasteful or piggish). THis is a diamond in the rough. We were there in the winter but I bet their outdoor tables are great in the nice weather.Special Features: