Thali Regional Cuisine of India - New Haven
4 Orange Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $31 to $50
Thali Regional Cuisine of India - New Haven
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thali.com/
- Phone: 2037771177
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday 12:00pm-2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sunday 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Prasad Chirnomula Chef / Owner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Custom Menus for any occasion, special theme parties, Tandoori Nights and or Curry Parties.
- Private Party Facilities: we have two Private Dining Rooms for business, corporate and private functions. Chef tasting menus and or pre-fix dinners and wine tasting regional Indian cuisine dinners.
- Private Party Contact: Prasad Chirnomula 2037771177
A word from Thali Regional Cuisine of India - New Haven
THALI is an innovative restaurant in New Haven whose chef, Prasad Chirnomula, is determined to change the way you think about Indian food. Dishes come from all over India. Rated excellent by The New York Times. The service is gracious and careful, with an eye toward educating the clientele. Eating at Thali is like taking a crash course in the diversity of Indian cuisines , and it is tremendous fun. As good as the food is here, the desserts stand out. Roomy and well lit, with comfortable, attractive chairs. Lounge has low tables for more intimate seating. THE SPACE Roomy and well lit, with comfortable, attractive chairs. Lounge has low tables for more intimate seating. Wheelchair access. THE CROWD Quiet, urban, a little dressy. THE BAR Full bar and well-priced wine list with great choice of Austrian, German and Alsatian whites that are excellent with spicy food; appealing selection of specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Thali Regional Cuisine of India - New Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for lunch (3)special occasion (2)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Most Delicious FoodMichaelJWDined on 8/21/2014I have had Indian food in many different parts of the world and I have to say this ranks amongst the best!Special Features:
- Romantic EveningAyOletDined on 8/8/2014Had an excellent dinner here with my girlfriend. We went for a date night and had a great time. Everything was excellent as noted by the five stars. Biggest tip is that on Sundays they do a lunch buffet where the whole menu is available to sample. We will definitely be back because everything on the menu sounded worth eating. I will also not the service was superb, attentive, and the staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/31/2014Consistently good Indian food. A solid regular. Service can sometimes be a bit slow, even when not too busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite as good as usual!CTFLSnobirdDined on 7/27/2014We have enjoyed Thali many times and will continue to do so. However, the food didn't seem quite up to their usual pizazz on this particular night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected betterFramboisVIPDined on 7/20/2014Based on reviews, I expected to be wowed. I wasn't. I liked the buffet more than my husband did (he would have given 2 stars). Waited forever to get water. And the naan came after we had finished our meal. This despite the fact that there were several servers. Will not return.
- Excellent Indian food.rosieDined on 7/17/2014Thali serves superior Indian food in a pleasant and attractive atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 198 reviews are from the Thali Regional Cuisine of India - New Haven reviews archive.
- Very good foodMTCTDined on 6/15/2014Great food and they have an amazing list of adventurous cocktails. Went to celebrate Father's day lunch buffet. There was a huge selection of food and lots of wonderful dishes but they did run out of some items rather early in the buffet time frame. I saw some disappointed customers. I was fine since what they had was already enough. I guess if you want to be sure to try everything, go early. But considering what you get, the lunch buffet is super for those who want to try out lots of different dishes. Dinner prices are much higher.Special Features:
- Always an enjoyable Sunday buffetNKayDined on 5/25/2014We look forward to the times we can visit Thali at New Haven for the Sunday buffet lunch, and this last visit did not disappoint. The selection was both varied and plentiful, ambience friendly and welcoming, and service courteous and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as usual.FranDined on 5/15/2014Gobi (cauliflower) and palak pakora were great! Lamb chops, chicken tikka masala and naan delicious. Servers courteous and quick. Nice ambience.Special Features:
- Nice find.KarmaDined on 4/12/2014We did the small plates and tasted several different things. All of them delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceShmauDined on 4/11/2014Great food but the service was bad the night we were there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!KristineDined on 3/29/2014Great Indian food. The chicken tikka kabab was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightjohnnyringoDined on 3/22/2014It was great wished it had sitar thats all, food n service was very good along with portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time having Indian..food!Live2eatDined on 2/14/2014I took my wife here for a valentines day dinner since she loves Indian food so much. I on the other hand had reservations. I looked over the menu ahead of time and saw some items I liked. I ordered the roasted duck and she the lamb. I just dove in and tried everything that was on the table. I was impressed as the duck was not fatty and reminded me of a pork loin. Weird thing is I havent had pork in over 30 years. The lamb came out like giant lamb pops and were seasoned to perfection. All in all I recommend this place and will be making a return visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Fantastic IndianmsmouseDined on 1/26/2014Not your usual Fare! Very fresh takes on Traditional indian dishes. The weekend buffet is not to be missed! Large restaurant with plenty of seating, nice modern decor. Worth going; good valueSpecial Features:
- Great food and helpful waitstaffJlkirkjrDined on 1/12/2014We haven't been for Indian food for several years and tried Thalia after the Best of CT magazine came out naming it #1 in CT. It was excellent, the waiter was very helpful, explaining various dishes, and making my wife's entree slightly less hot. Nice wines by the glass and beer list. All around enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/8/2014Took a work party of 6 out to dinner to celebrate the new year. The restaurant comfortably accommodated us and provided very tasty high quality food, great cocktails and attentive but not smothering service. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good but....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2014Ate here for the first time this summer and food was awesome. This time food was good but not excellent. Entrée ordered described as spicy but was not very. I ordered a signature ginger based cocktail again this time but I could barely taste the ginger. Food was served warm but not hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful curry, lovely eveningFaintgirlDined on 12/31/2013The curry at Thali still feels like it has a regional flavour - it's not overcome by cream or sugar, it's full of carefully constructed spice and tastes absolutely wonderful. Everything we ordered on New Year's Eve was wonderful. It may be more spicy than you're used to, so avoid the dishes marked as spicy if you're averse to some heat! We will be back to try more of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good chow in bleak atmosphere.MasonDined on 12/22/2013Our meal was good to very good: baked spinach (served cold) for a shared appetizer, chicken curry and duck (missing the taste of the tandoor oven in which it was reportedly baked). Service was extremely solicitous and pleasant. Wine list was up to the job. Ambiance was reminiscent of Hayes Bickford cafeterias and sort of a downer. A six-block walk from the upscale neighborhood around the Yale Art Museum on Chapel Street into an increasingly downscale and sketchy neighborhood on Orange Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "upscale Indian"!Foodluvers05Dined on 12/13/2013Thali is our favorite spot for Indian food! The flavors are subtle and unique from dish to dish, and we always have a hard time identifying a favorite. Our party of three started with Jaipori chicken kababs and Ragda patties to accompany our creative and delicious cocktails. We then moved on to shrimp biryani, Kori Gasi and lamb vindaloo, of course accompanied by raita and naan. Every dish was absolutely delicious. There wasn't a drop left when we were finished! If you think all Indian restaurants are the same, think again. Eating at Thali is a unique treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodMicpepDined on 11/23/2013We visit Thali quiet often, food and service has always been exceptional. Parking is across the street and the restaurant validates your parking ticket so no need to look for street parking which is a big plus for the downtown restaurants. This is one of our favorite New Haven restaurants.Special Features:
- MemorableInfrequentdinerDined on 11/7/2013The spices complimented the food but were not overwhelming. The cocktails were very imaginative, perfect for my sweet tooth.The service was attentive, but not intrusive. I would have preferred a little more light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificFeedbackDined on 10/13/2013Excellent capable service, food was tasty, and arrived hot and as described by the staff. Very helpful with gluten sensitivity choices. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually good!foodisfunDined on 10/5/2013We had an excellent meal at Thali. The food was very fresh and flavorful and there were unusual items on the menu. The fried okra was amazing. I would love to return with a large group so that I could sample more of the menu. Our only complaint was the music, it was light and annoying! However, the service was attentive and we never ran out of water. I would certainly return!Special Features:
- Excellent Food!athenivanidxDined on 8/28/2013I suppose I am biased because I love Indian Food. This restaurant is awesome! There is a Mumbai Cocktail list which is really cool but order at your own risk because they are really strong, pricey, and some of them are SPICY! I had the Chicken Tikka Masala which is one of my all time favorite non vegetarian Indian dishes. It was great! I just wish I had remembered to ask for extra sauce for the next day's lunch! One thing I would caution people about is the prices of entrees. You can't spend less than $20 here and not be hungry again in a couple of hours. Other than that, YUM YUM YUM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate drinks and foodSouthslopeVIPDined on 8/3/2013Started with the delicious special margarita with a chili rim then had a spicy shrimp appetizer, Jinga, and the salad, both were spectacular. The entrees were equally great. Our waiter was very professional and had a nice personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thali is a simply fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/20/2013Thali is a simply fantastic place!! Since I discovered this place a month ago, I've been back three times, and I live more than 120 miles away. This time I had entertained a group, there were 5 of us. The reason the noise level was "energetic" was because of us, normally it's a pretty quite place. Our server was extremely helpful in suggesting dishes. One person was gluten intolerant and he made sure all of our shared appetizers were gluten free. I simply cannot recommend this place strongly enough. If you are new to Indian food, they will really help you through the menu.Special Features:
- Graduation FeastZepherineDined on 5/20/2013The food is to die for. Even on a busy graduation night, the preparation was splendid, the service attentive, the ambiance perfect for our group of six. Although the menu was limited for that night, the manager told us they'd make what we wanted from their usual menu. We ordered five different dishes, two appetizers, and a bread basket, along with three bottles of wine. Every morsel was a pleasure. Our graduate was happy!Special Features:
- Not quite as good as I remembered ipinkyDined on 5/12/2013I went for Mother's Day brunch. The food was not hot enough and the appetizers a bit dried out and not terribly interesting. A huge selection, wonderful fresh bread served at your table and a fantastic ginger martini. I enjoyed it but somehow had remembered it as better the year before.Special Features:
- A fine experiencePastafarianDined on 5/11/2013The menu was diverse and the choices my wife and I made were quality recommendations from the wait staff. Certainly not the cheapest place in town to eat, but you will certainly leave satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish meal. We were seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2013Delish meal. We were seated in an area that was slightly cold but did not ask to be moved. A couple with a young child was seated near us and the child was not well behaved and was noisy. This did put a damper on our enjoyment. Our disappointment was not at all against the food. We liked trying different foods and enjoyed the flavored and zippyness.Special Features:
- Hybrid IndianpinkyDined on 4/24/2013Thali is an unusual Indian restaurant; the chef makes almost French style dishes and uses Indian flavors. For example I had a mesclun salad with sliced tandoori chicken and a leg of lamb. My husband had a piece of fish and a more typical Indian appetizer, a shrimp samosa. All was very well prepared and the service was very friendly and attentive. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Nice food presentation, butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/21/2013Nice food presentation, but does not taste like Indian. Smallest portion of the starter and deserts, most expensive cocktail. Overall lowest value.
- Best Indian food I know.PaulCTVIPDined on 4/20/2013Best Indian food I know. Would stand up to anything in New York City. Service was prompt, courteous and friendly. A gem.Special Features:
- Thali is not your cookie cutterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Thali is not your cookie cutter Indian cuisine. There are some standouts that are regional that you won't find in many other places. The food was tasty and served at the right tempertaures and we really liked itSpecial Features:
- Excellent food and serviceFood4everDined on 3/31/2013Excellent food and service as always. We are never disappointed at Thali or Thali 2.Special Features:
- Well-chosen menu to suit everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Well-chosen menu to suit everyone from Grandpa Joe to vegetarian Jo to student Josephine. The biggest red wine glasses I've ever encountered.... Terrific choice of bread for free appetizer--spicy crisp....Looking forward to trying Thali's brunch and sibling Thali Too.Special Features:
- Used to love it, but all branchesMsPieVIPDined on 3/2/2013Used to love it, but all branches of this restaurant seem to be slipping. The New Canaan location is in serious need of a good scrubbing and paint and New Haven is just downright boring. Saturday was the worse service we've ever experienced at a Thali and they weren't even terribly busy. Feels like this owner/manager/group is spreading itself too thin and ignoring the details that make a restaurant worth visiting.
- Thali needs to be consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013This was not our first visit to Thali's and we are frequent take out customers. However, the service was slow, the food was without the burst of flavors we expect from Thali's. The Tika Masala was very tomato paste-like, not "cuisine" and the chicken was not from a tandoori skewer as we have had in thee past. The Goa goat meal was good, however the lamb with cocounut (we have had before) was not something enjoyable and my son ended up leaving it. They have changed the drink menu and where they were onece unique for their oversized Mojito, they have decided to remove that from their offerings. Overall a very sad and unenjoyable experience.