179 Franklin Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thalassanyc.com/
- Phone: 2129417661
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Thalassa
Contemporary Mediterranean Seafood Restaurant with rare Greek wines and hard to get boutique worldly wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
Thalassa - Best Restaurants in TriBeCa - Downtown ›
Thalassa reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (49)special occasion (48)fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (30)notable wine list (21)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Excelletluv2dineDined on 8/27/2014I visit this restaurant quite often - It never fails to impress. It's my go to spot for visiting guests and they are always extremely impressed. Can't come here without ordering their Scallops and Octopus. They are to die for. They also had new fish tacos that were phenomenal!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Very disappointed. Must have changed owners because seafood quality was bad and service poor. Will give it one more chance and then it's over.
- Understated excellencePimientaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Thalassa gets a lot of points for getting all the little things right. It's has beautiful spaces -- particularly the bar area when the windows are open to see the lovely garden in front. Particularly impressed that they light the candles at tables downstairs even when no one is dining there. Food was terrific, starting with the quinoa bread with olive oil, a seafood bisque and swordfish with cannellini and asparagus. Baklava is delicious and plenty big enough for two. And the service is prompt and unobtrusive. All in all, a fine evening out.USpecial Features:
- special occasionsandyDined on 8/14/2014gathered seven relatives together -- all picky eaters. everyone loved it. now, that's an accomplishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks thalassaraquelleVIPDined on 8/13/2014Our second visit to this restaurant. Delicious food, excellent service and unusually generous with customers - complimentary dips, amuse bouche, petits fours, dessert wine and a goodie bag to boot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really liked this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014top notch service. excellent food. several nice touches: complementary fried zucchini tasting. great bread, olives, etc to startSpecial Features:
- 10/10JonathanDined on 8/12/2014The food was delicious, the wine list impressive, the service great. The decor was kind of cheesy and over the top but that really had little bearing on the overall experience. Would definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnersydbVIPDined on 8/12/2014This was our second time at Thalassa and continues to be excellent experience. Service was excellent-- very attentive and helpful and gracious. We had restaurant week menu-- one had lamb chops, one had snapper, one had halibut. Tasty and well presented. Pretty restaurant and would definitely come back here again.Special Features:
- Fabulous!TabathavDined on 8/12/2014Yummy food (especially the deliciously tender grilled octopus)!! Wonderful service! And no one even treated us as peasants for choosing the Restaurant Week menu! Not only did we choose 3 courses each and a bottle of wine, but we were also treated to complementary amuse bouche, petit fours and port at the end of our meal! Overall a fantastic experience...one that I would recommend for Restaurant Week or otherwise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced FoodRestaurantExtravaganzagaDined on 8/9/2014The food was completely overpriced for the portions and quality of food. I was very disappointed.Special Features:
- Great RW choiceKR155Dined on 8/8/2014I went here for Restaurant Week Summer 2014 and I was pleasantly surprised by the food and service! The food was excellent and I love that they also had a RW wine list by the bottle (cost around $30-35). They also included a nice dessert wine at the end of the meal. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves modern greek food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Dining at ThalassaRandADined on 8/7/2014This was our first time at Thalassa and the food was delicious. Along with the restaurant week menu there was a select wine list option which introduced us to the heady delights of Greek Cab-Sav!My vegetarianism was instantly accommodated with a fabulous entree, and the service throughout the meal was attentive without being overbearing. A really lovely dinner.Special Features:
- Awesome MealHappyDinerDined on 8/6/2014The food was amazing & the service was great! It took a little longer than the 3 of us would have liked to get our drinks & it was only a little after 6:30pm on a Wed night, so it wasn't crowded, but if that was the one negative take away-that is fine by me.Special Features:
- Excellent!ToniVIPDined on 8/5/2014Went for restaurant week and they treated extremely well. I live in Tribeca I have been there many times. I'm never disappointed.Special Features:
- expensive but excellent qualitytulika51Dined on 8/2/2014Considering the restaurant was not full it would have been much better to include the restaurant week menu or the tasting menu on a summer Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2014I came here with my boyfriend during Restaurant Week and had a lovely time. The ambiance is beautiful with good lighting and nice decor. The fish and vegetables of the day are on display as you walk in so that you can see your fresh options. It was carefully maintained with ice throughout the evening (we were seated near it). We both ordered fish and were quite happy. The Halibut was perfect and I would highly recommend it. I ordered the sea bass, which though good, could have used a bit more vibrant seasoning. Since it was paired with lentils, it overall had a muted flavor to the dish. Excellent kale salad and octopus to start. The service was some of the best I have had in all of NYC. They were friendly, attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?LeoneDined on 8/1/2014Great ambiance-excellent staff-mediocre food. The tasteless fish was boiled , not baked and it sat on a bed of boiled lentils with no oil or spices. What happened?
- Restaurant week at ThalassamarinakVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went there for restaurant week and whatever we ordered form a special menu was excellent. Octopus salad, kale salad, halibut fish was very tasty, lamb chops were tender. Desert, we had one of each and both were great. The service was excellent as the atmosphere and ambiance. Wines on a restaurant week menu were very reasonably priced. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Restaurant Week TreasureRestaurantWeekerDined on 8/1/2014The Restaurant Week $38 prix fixe menu was a generous one. Dinner started with an amuse gules. The food was outstanding as was the service. While the restaurant is spacious, it was a bit noisy perhaps due to a private function downstairs. The $38 prix fixe quickly translated into $80 - a glass of wine was $14 and a cappuccino was $5 - with a generous tip since service was so attentive. There were several bottles of wine that were very reasonably priced, but I only wanted one glass. Perhaps the Restaurant Week menu can include a glass of wine that is reasonably priced in relation to the prix fixe. Would I return there? Yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thalassa! opa!!!!doobieDined on 7/31/2014The restaurant was fabulous. I didnt know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The food presentation was alluring! The dishes were very creative and the taste WAS magnificent. I went for restaurant week and it was so worth it. Nice size portions. The waitstaff WAS unreal. They were so attentive and offered a complimentary glass of wine. I'm definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!Foodie44Dined on 7/30/2014My sister and I had a great time dining at Thalassa - the atmosphere was great, the service was speedy and kind, and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- A fantastic Dinner ExperiencenytowerDined on 7/25/2014I was there for dinner last week , it was the beginning of Restaurant Week in NYC. The service was very good & the food was FANTASTIC !!! Our server was prompt & courteous , & knowledgeable of the wines being offered. Looking forward to another fantastic dinner there soon .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly Service and Amazing FoodAMAZINGEXPERIENCEVIPDined on 7/25/2014We went to Thalassa for Restaurant Week. The menu was well priced and with three options for the appetizer and entree. I went with my mom and cousin, and between the three of us we ordered everything on the restaurant week menu. The portions were bigger than expected for a restarurant week menu so we each got try a little of everything. Also, we were impressed by how friendly and attentive the staff was. We all got a free Amuse-bouche before the meal, a free glass of dessert wine after, and after the dessert from the menu which we all ordered we also received choclates at the table. We also left with a small sea salt shaker to bring home. The staff at Thalassa did a great job! and I will definitly be back!!!!Special Features:
- Lovely Time!LESFoodloverVIPDined on 7/23/2014Come here for a little bit of gluten-free heaven. So many options! Started off with the beautiful quinoa salad, enjoyed the halibut entree (though it might have benefited from just 1-2 minutes less cooking time) and really appreciated the thoughtful Greek yogurt/fresh fruit dessert. Notably refreshing and crisp Greek wine pairing too. Restaurant week success!
- honestlyDined on 7/23/2014I don't mind that a $38 dining week dinner cost $175 for two with a few glasses of wine, but I don't like an appetizer portion of lamb chops being served as a main course because a dollop of risotto was added. This misrepresents the restaurant and I' not sure I would trust them to return.
- TriBeCa GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014Very good meal, service and ambience. We wery looking for a fancy, not stiff place to enjoy a lovely dinner with friends and we found all in Thalassa. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek but priced for OnassisNYCMcVDined on 7/18/2014We tried this TRIBECA RESTAURANT because my husband was given a gift certificate as an end-of-the-year present. We had a lovely night, and the service was excellent. The food was also delicious. The octopus starter was a favorite, as was the main course mediterranean Sea Bass. But I doubt we will return, because the menu prices are so high. The restaurant was only half-full on Friday night, and I suspect that is why.Special Features:
- out with a small group of friendsFormerFattyDined on 7/18/2014I went here for a dinner with a small group of friends on a Friday night. The resturant was not packed , yet the food took long to come out. No one in my party liked the entire meal. However, they dropped off a complementary seafood salad and it was probably the best thing we had. Also, the fried veggie chips were good. The entire experience was disappointing but the atmosphere and staff were great.
- Amazing Food!luv2dineDined on 7/10/2014Fresh seafood dishes accompanied by fantastic, attentive service. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Slow serviceRREVEWBHVIPDined on 7/9/2014Service was extremely slow - we sat for dinner around 6:15 pm and were one of the few tables in the restaurant- we got our main course around 8 pm
- TerrificJosephVIPDined on 6/30/2014This was my second time back at this terrific restaurant. My wife and I had dinner with a good friend and the food and service was terrific. The $38 dinner menu has a lot to offer. The food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARCJDined on 6/14/2014Wow, what a great find. Loved everything about Thalassa and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Flawless service, nice Tasting MenuChristineVIPDined on 6/11/2014Thalassa's decor was beautiful and the staff were very attentive. We all had the Tasting Menu which included either a Kale Salad or Seafood Ravioli to start, a Halibut or Lamb Chops as Entrees and two interesting choices for dessert. The food was tasty and the portion sizes very good. The noise level was a little loud at the start of the dinner because there was a corporate reception at the bar area, but once the party went to the private room downstairs, there was a very talented guitar player that strummed beautifully in the background. A lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKvcmdVIPDined on 6/6/2014Perhaps for a large group or out of towners Thalassa would be a good pick. It's a big space - servers were mostly robotic - and the food was solid, with the exception of the fresh watermelon salad that was very good, but not memorable.Special Features:
- A DELICIOUS & RELAXING EXPERIENCEruthDined on 6/4/2014We served, most graciously, with a complementary seafood ball, which was so excellent that I wish it was on the menu. Highlights in food was the octopus appetizer, striped bass and the Ekmek dessert. ( I wish we didn't share it.) We had excellent wine advice and a dry Greek wine, Kanenas red, was recommended and was perfect. A complementary liquor was offered after dinner. It's good I got a ride home. This is about the 4th time we have eaten there and plan to return many times in the future.Special Features:
- Seafood Destination in Tribeca areaappiyaDined on 6/4/2014Excellent: • Ambience including the guitar player in the background • Friendly & attentive staff • Seafood & fish (appetizers Seafood Saganaki & Maine Diver Sea Scallops; entrees Lavraki & Grilled Shrimps substituted for Langustine) • Complimentary shrimp based appetizer • Great value Prix Fixe tasting menu • Choice of wines (we were helped because we were not familiar with Greek grapes) • Desserts like Ekmek and the Ice Cream medley Average: • Meat dishes – lamb shank & lamb chops • Panna cotta Below-average • Sheep’s yogurt-based dessert with preserved fruit that had overtones of ersatz flavoring (I have high standards for sheep’s yogurt from an organic source – the yogurt quality & accompaniments did not merit being on the dessert menu)Special Features:
- Dinner reviewhappydinerDined on 5/23/2014My husband and I had dinner here to celebrate a major birthday and we loved the place! Nice ambience, great service and the food was wonderful. We will definitely put this restaurant on our list for places to go when we're in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014We've (my fiance and I) been meaning to try Thalassa since we've moved into the neighborhood. We walk by often and every time it looks enchanting and has been recommended to us by a few friends. Last night was the first night we, actually, had to experience Thalassa and I have to say, it was wonderful. I never write reviews but after the night we had, I felt the urge to share. Everything was excellent! The atmosphere is spacious and luxurious. The food was incredible. We started with the crabmeat salad and grilled octopus and then shared the black sea bass from their fresh fish market. The fish melted in my mouth and was so fresh. Our server was able to pair it with great bottle of wine and the whole night was perfect! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Lovely space, great portionsilovefooddietDined on 5/11/2014Came here to celebrate Mothers Day. Very nice airy restaurant with excellent service and generous well prepared portions. Lovely prefix meal with additional complimentary deserts and port wine. The owners provided a wonderful "goodie bag" for all the "Moms" on Mothers Day - Large bottle of Thalassa extra virgin olive oil, bottle of sea salt along with home made cookies! Definitely will come back again!Special Features:
- They lost our food to take homeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2014Thalassa mixed up and lost over $40 of food to take home. The food itself was good - but the staff not being helpful to resolve our 'misplaced' food was enough for me not to return.